Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Gorman Thomas posted:

Verhoeven already made a gamergate adjacent film in 2016 but America wasn't ready for it.

I forgot that the main character in Elle owned a video game company. It took me a while to realize what you were talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Judakel posted:

lol thats awesome. way to kill your movie. i will be pirating it

imagine ever paying for movies, lmao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I might go see the duelist in the theater but dune will be on the sites from day one

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

finally watched Dragged Across Concrete and though im not completely sure what i think about the discourse but im leaning towards "libs are just as illiterate as the hooting rightwingers". i liked it.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/jeremythunder/status/1448768005488447491?s=21

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/jeremythunder/status/1448769371363545092?s=20

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
i sort of understand why people would obsess over that genre, but i did not understand the rash of twitter libs framing disliking it as misogyny. where does that even come from

love being a woman & being accused of misogyny because i think true crime stuff & tarot cards are lame. it rocks

elaboration has issued a correction as of 04:09 on Oct 15, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

i sort of understand why people would obsess over that genre, but i did not understand the rash of twitter libs framing disliking it as misogyny. where does that even come from

Misogyny is thing i don't like, please make it go away

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

finally watched Dragged Across Concrete and though im not completely sure what i think about the discourse but im leaning towards "libs are just as illiterate as the hooting rightwingers". i liked it.

the director is alt-right adjacent

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/WSJ/status/1448344043906347011

i like how every time this happens youve got people going but how does north korea even know what the latest pop culture fad is if they execute people for smuggling dvds without ever stopping to consider the extremely obvious explanation that easily explains this contradiction

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/gabemschneider/status/1448472952605843456

its me im the guy running around murdering transpeople because dave chappelle told me to

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

If you think about it, misogyny is kinda fruity ... why're you treating a boy better than a girl?

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Unoriginal Name posted:

the director is alt-right adjacent

how so?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Some Guy TT posted:

its me im the guy running around murdering transpeople because dave chappelle told me to

remember when Dave Chappelle quit his successful tv show mid-season and fled to Africa because people kept yelling "I'm Rick James" at him lmao

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/WSJ/status/1448344043906347011

i like how every time this happens youve got people going but how does north korea even know what the latest pop culture fad is if they execute people for smuggling dvds without ever stopping to consider the extremely obvious explanation that easily explains this contradiction

that you're helpfully getting KJU's exclusive pop culture takes raw and unfiltered via state media?

idk that even people on the NK-defector-propaganda-train are telling people they execute people over smuggled dvds anymore - the last one I watched told an amusing anecdote about a kid he went to school with getting sent home without a shirt because he'd worn imported surplus Team USA Olympic gear he bought at a market without recognizing/connecting the gigantic "USA" english lettering on the front with the public depictions of the U.S. (but that was the extent to which anything happened)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

love being a woman & being accused of misogyny because i think true crime stuff & tarot cards are lame. it rocks

the audience for true crime poo poo is largely women, so hating it is tantamount to hating women. this is their genuine logic. you will see the same arguments made for (as you mentioned) thinking astrology/tarot is silly and not liking YA novels

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Gotta admit that cspam tarot reading thread was a hoot

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i don't really care for my little pony, and yes that does mean i am anti-white man

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Some Guy TT posted:

Taxi driver got reagan shot. Of course media influences behavior. You just dont demand it be removed despite that

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

The Chappelle stuff is giving me the impression that some of the big media conglomerates think they can stop being woke now. That was always seen as a concession by the people in charge, however useless it was at actually helping people get real change. The CNN Cuomo still has his job too despite having those sexual harassment allegations come out.

We're in a weird spot where the US state is ending pandemic social program with little pushback in the public, but labor militancy unrest is rising. Media specifically could have a major strike, which may lead the owners of some outlets doing some wild poo poo to try to suppress the people they consider lesser.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

like, in 2020 the response from Netflix would have been a trigger warning before the show and a press release about how they've consulted with Trans leaders while recognizing the need to allow the voices of prominent Black artists like Chapelle to be heard.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

That's not the true crime podcast my partner listens to but the one she does is these two American women going "ohmigawd, I love her glasses they're like SO cute. She looks like, a real 90s kid you know?
Anyway her body was never found but her 6 year old brother did find her severed head in their pool and killed himself"

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

The Chappelle stuff is giving me the impression that some of the big media conglomerates think they can stop being woke now.

god i really hope so

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Mantis42 posted:

god i really hope so

the alternative is not better

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

god i really hope so

go off king

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

That's not the true crime podcast my partner listens to but the one she does is these two American women going "ohmigawd, I love her glasses they're like SO cute. She looks like, a real 90s kid you know?
Anyway her body was never found but her 6 year old brother did find her severed head in their pool and killed himself"

My Favorite Murder?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Soyfacing over someone being murdered.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

a lot of women into this stuff imagine it's teaching them to "protect themselves" from rapists, murderers, and other unsavoury characters, like you'll learn how to spot the Ted Bundys among us by listening to enough podcasts. not to say violence against women isn't real but the lurid framing of a lot of the genre highlights crimes that are statistically very rare. thinking "true crime" is often exploitative and gross means you don't want women to be able to protect themselves!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dragged Across Concrete was cool and even ended on a standard liberal high-note

The distaste for it almost certainly just because of Mel Gibson as a person

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
lpotl is the one good true crime podcast because they're just a trio of weird dumbasses and know it

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Blood Boils posted:

Gotta admit that cspam tarot reading thread was a hoot

Was not

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Communist Thoughts posted:

lol jesus christ

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

It really was. It's why one of the dullard mods implemented a no threadshitting rule to prevent his forum friends from being trolled.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Box of Bunnies posted:

lpotl is the one good true crime podcast because they're just a trio of weird dumbasses and know it

it helps that true crime is just one facet of LpotL, which is just as much about urban legends, ghost stories, cult stuff and weird conspiracy poo poo.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Dragged Across Concrete was cool and even ended on a standard liberal high-note

The distaste for it almost certainly just because of Mel Gibson as a person

that overwritten scene with don johnson was played straight enough that i think it was supposed to make the viewer uncomfortable, but it seems that zahlers whole deal is closer to LVT-style trolling of his audience/critics than a sign that he's "alt-right" or whatever. Gibson as a racist cop was inspired casting lol

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

it helps that true crime is just one facet of LpotL, which is just as much about urban legends, ghost stories, cult stuff and weird conspiracy poo poo.

yeah, true. the true crime stuff is probably the stuff of theirs i like least, actually, except for when it's like the manson family or whatever where it intersects with their freakier proclivities. in terms of their true story stuff i prefer when they do like the donner family or the cult stuff. or the lobotomy series, that was some real "gently caress the Kennedy family forever" poo poo

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Some Guy TT posted:

they nuked the D&D episode from Community so I'm not sure they really believe this, although maybe it was sony that did it or something

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’ve only seen a few of zahler’s movies but I did notice that all the minority actors were playing bad guys/morally corrupt characters. like yeah he portrays racist white guys as bad but like. cmon. fun flicks though

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

that overwritten scene with don johnson was played straight enough that i think it was supposed to make the viewer uncomfortable, but it seems that zahlers whole deal is closer to LVT-style trolling of his audience/critics than a sign that he's "alt-right" or whatever. Gibson as a racist cop was inspired casting lol

The most uncomfortable part of the movie for me was the entire subplot with Jennifer Carpenter, but I just told myself that that was part of the genre that the film was set in/was emulating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
who the gently caress is dave chappelle