Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Davis and Kinzinger will probably run for Governor.

God, I hate gerrymandering but if states like Texas and Florida are going to entrench their power with it, states like Illinois will have to do the same. Until there is a National prohibition on gerrymandering, it is a race to the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

God, I hate gerrymandering but if states like Texas and Florida are going to entrench their power with it, states like Illinois will have to do the same. Until there is a National prohibition on gerrymandering, it is a race to the bottom.

Yup.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've lived in both of those districts in the last 5 years

Good

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Davis and Kinzinger will probably run for Governor.

Full agreement there. At this moment, the more Republican seats we can eliminate the better. Gotta make up for their fuckery in other places.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
End districts all together imo.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Districts can be good to allow for better minority representation. Otherwise we'd end up with just a whole bunch of white people who would drown out the black and brown reps.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bird in a Blender posted:

Districts can be good to allow for better minority representation. Otherwise we'd end up with just a whole bunch of white people who would drown out the black and brown reps.

Eh, I know districts give them token representation but they get drowned out anyways.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

For states where democrats control redistricting we should use districts, for all other states use proportional representation :hmmyes:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Good. Rodney Davis is a craven little lickspittle rubber stamp Republican who's literally never held down a real job in his entire life. And I mean literally. He was like, a manager at one of his dad's McDonalds before entering politics after college and never looked back.

Kinzinger is just mad Trump said all the quiet parts loud and is now milking his personal decorum-fueled distaste for the man into One Of The Good Ones(tm) fueled national popularity. He'll probably run against Duckworth and Davis'll run for governor (and lose to that nutjob Bailey, which means Pritzker in a walk cuz that dude is certified nuts).

Jows
May 8, 2002

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

lol at that 4. Is that all ohare cutout?

4 is drawn that way because a federal court mandated a Hispanic represented district.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Any word on that shithead LaHood? Which district is the 18th merging with?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Jows posted:

4 is drawn that way because a federal court mandated a Hispanic represented district.

4 was drawn that way to meet the bare minimum of representation. Latinxs are 20% of the state and have 1/18 of the congressional representatives.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
illinois in response to Marie Newman successfully primarying a pro life dem incumbent last cycle :
"You can view this map as a series of messages to some Democrats and Democratic constituencies. For instance, the message to Newman seems to be: You have a choice between running against Kinzinger with no Chicago precincts or you can represent a Latino district. I’m told Newman made huge demands and was generally uncooperative. "

lahood and miller are same district which is pretty funny.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Lager posted:

Any word on that shithead LaHood? Which district is the 18th merging with?

If I’m reading the map correctly, the entirety of Peoria (and maybe East Peoria) is in the district with Rockford. The rest of the 18th shall be banished to ‘the rural zone’ from which there is no escape (of being represented by a shithead). But LaHood will probably get booted in favor of whoever the current western district republican incumbent is.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

lahood and miller are same district which is pretty funny.

I think.getting rid of the woman who praised Hitler was a Democratic priority

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
who boy you wanna talk about a Crime State. anyone else planning dozens of lawsuits?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The X-man cometh posted:

I think.getting rid of the woman who praised Hitler was a Democratic priority

they aren't getting rid of miller, they're having her take out lahood most likely

quote:

Representative Marie Newman (IL-03) released the following statement in response to the Illinois congressional map proposal that was released today:

“While our team continues to review the draft congressional map that was released earlier today, it is abundantly apparent that what has currently been proposed for Illinois’ 3rd Congressional District is not only retrogressive but substantially diminishes the diverse and progressive voices of Chicago’s Southwest Side and suburbs. I know that IL-03’s constituents will ensure their voices are heard loud and clear at these public hearings over the coming days.”

“I look forward to continuing to represent the constituents of Illinois’ 3rd Congressional District.”

wonder what went down behind the scenes

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The goal was absolutely to knife the progressive who took out a good ol boy conservative nepotism dem

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'm laughing at LaHood and Davis. Like, you didn't support a national law which might have protected you from this poo poo.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I still like the idea of having every district drip down from Chicago. Think there was a theoretical way to make it completely Dem.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

I still like the idea of having every district drip down from Chicago. Think there was a theoretical way to make it completely Dem.

https://twitter.com/NathanIWinston1/status/1330627361969082368

Jows
May 8, 2002

The X-man cometh posted:

4 was drawn that way to meet the bare minimum of representation. Latinxs are 20% of the state and have 1/18 of the congressional representatives.

I didn't say it was a bad thing.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Pritzker has extended the vax deadline for state workers till the end of November to work out agreements with their unions, according to the Trib:

quote:

The new deadline is nearly two months later the original target. State workers covered by the governor’s executive order now have until Nov. 30 to be fully vaccinated. Pritzker, who has stopped short of requiring vaccination for all state workers under his authority, originally set an Oct. 4 deadline when he announced the mandate in early August.

AFSCME, which represents more than 15,000 workers who would be covered by the requirement, pushed back when Pritzker announced what the union called the “rigid mandates,” saying it would oppose “any effort to define (its members) as part of the problem rather than recognizing their dedication.”

Workers covered by the order, employed by the departments of Corrections, Juvenile Justice, Veterans Affairs and Human Services, now have until Oct. 26 to receive their first dose, and those receiving the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine must receive their second shot by the end of November. Those deadlines have been moved back from Oct. 14 and Nov. 18, respectively.

Since Pritzker announced the mandate in August, vaccination rates among employees at some of the state agencies covered by the order have improved.

At the Department of Veterans’ Affairs, for example, the staff vaccination rate has increased to just over 80% as of Thursday from 63% in late July.

The share of staff members at Department of Human Services developmental centers and psychiatric hospitals who have received at least one dose has increased to 64% from 53% in early August.

The increase has been less pronounced at the Department of Juvenile Justice, increasing to 67% from 64% in August.

The Department of Corrections did not respond Friday to a request for updated figures on staff vaccinations rates. In August, just 44% of corrections workers were fully vaccinated, compared with about 69% of inmates.

Statewide, nearly 66% of the eligible population — those 12 and older — are fully vaccinated, according to the Illinois Department of Public Health.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ad_quig/status/1450208220597915651?s=20

🙃

He had a bunch of interviews come out yesterday saying Lightfoot is doing a bad job and doesn’t really care about transparency (which seems true to me!)

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Durbin praising Rahm before his hearing is nauseating. What a garbage Senator.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
Does the vaccine mandate apply to all police in the state or just CPD?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
new map proposal out
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/viewer?mid=1xACNozSOP7nkzZu-Hk21QUAwSRh7r7xH&ll=39.79510521942542%2C-89.50414500000001&z=7
https://twitter.com/ILElectionData/status/1452043902320586755

looks like they responded to the latino concerns and then screwed over newman even more by putting her in with casten

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Goddammit, I hate the new map right now. I'm in the drat Kinzinger/LaHood R+22 district even though one street over is the D+8 Bustos district.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I sympathize. I'm in Bost's district. Right now he's only winning by like 6% (with a 3% green vote, because the republicans always run a green party candidate around here to soak up naïve college student votes). Under the old plans, we at least had a chance of getting rid of him. By these new plans, we'd merge with another highly-republican area and never be rid of that shitlord.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Big lol that Jesse White still manages to win even in chud central. I was also trying to figure out what the heck was up with the 2016 comptroller race before realizing that based on the dates it was probably a special election.

Lager posted:

Goddammit, I hate the new map right now. I'm in the drat Kinzinger/LaHood R+22 district even though one street over is the D+8 Bustos district.

Genuinely surprised I didn't get booted from Underwood's district and stuck in there too.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lager posted:

I think I'm barely in that new 17 monstrosity that sweeps up by the quad cities and poo poo

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Bobulus posted:

I sympathize. I'm in Bost's district. Right now he's only winning by like 6% (with a 3% green vote, because the republicans always run a green party candidate around here to soak up naïve college student votes). Under the old plans, we at least had a chance of getting rid of him. By these new plans, we'd merge with another highly-republican area and never be rid of that shitlord.

Welcome to my district! The question now is “Who wins in a crazy off between Bost and Miller?” You may get rid of him but the replacement is worse.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Cattail Prophet posted:

Big lol that Jesse White still manages to win even in chud central. I was also trying to figure out what the heck was up with the 2016 comptroller race before realizing that based on the dates it was probably a special election.

Genuinely surprised I didn't get booted from Underwood's district and stuck in there too.

I believe Jesse white is the only candidate in Illinois history to win every single county in a single election

Also if next year is a 1994/2010 style election that's a 11-6 map

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 24, 2021

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Lol that they're dumping much of will county in il-01

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

I believe Jesse white is the only candidate in Illinois history to win every single county in a single election

Also if next year is a 1994/2010 style election that's a 11-6 map

Yeah, he is extremely popular throughout the state but you can tell how chud an area is by either 1) how small of a margin he wins by or 2) how much the number of votes drops because chuds will not vote for D but they cannot complain about how he does.

I do not know if Illinois falls into that setting (and I sometimes wonder if we ever have another time like those again). Illinois will have a gubernatorial election that is going to dominate over any house district races.

After 2018 and 2020, I can see that elections in the future will be regularly high turn out. With polarization in play, I do not know if we ever have another “wave” election.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

new map proposal out
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/viewer?mid=1xACNozSOP7nkzZu-Hk21QUAwSRh7r7xH&ll=39.79510521942542%2C-89.50414500000001&z=7
https://twitter.com/ILElectionData/status/1452043902320586755

looks like they responded to the latino concerns and then screwed over newman even more by putting her in with casten

Newman kept most of her district and picked up wealthy suburbs. Underwood's district got carved up into Foster, Casten, and Kinzinger/LaHood.

I hope Carlos Rosa runs for the northern Latinx district, that would loving rule.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Our school’s ag foundation rented the Darren Bailey campaign bus to take the FFA kids to the national convention in Indy. So, uh, that’s super loving embarrassing.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Devo posted:

Our school’s ag foundation rented the Darren Bailey campaign bus to take the FFA kids to the national convention in Indy. So, uh, that’s super loving embarrassing.

What school? Because that may not be allowed under school or FFA rules since it would be classified as a political donation.

Edit: Yup, FFA rules 70908 (b)

“The corporation or a director, officer or member as such may not contribute to, support or assist a political party or candidate for elective public office.”

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 27, 2021

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I wonder if it’s technically legal because the foundation rented it instead of the school? They did get it for free though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I do not know if that changes it or if it would still. E classified as supporting. Those kids walk off of the poo poo stain campaign bus wearing their jackets. Looks like that FFA chapter supports Bailey.