Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

OldSenileGuy posted:

What’s the best way to play AM2R? I remember I played it for a bit years ago when it first came out, but it crashed a lot and didn’t control great, probably because I didn’t have my janky PS2 controller -> USB plug set up correctly.

I saw a screenshot where someone had it on their Switch (or maybe Wii U?), but I assume that was done through hacking it. And someone else said they played it on their Xbox somehow? Does a ROM of it exist or do I basically need to get my hands on a PC?

AM2R is a PC game, but has an Android port and I think various console homebrew ports though yeah that requires hacking them

because Nintendo DMCA'd it, getting it requires Finding It On The Internet, which can be kinda tricky (it is an EXE after all, so you do want to avoid any particularly sketchy seeming sites). the way this works:

* track down a copy of AM2R v1.1. this is tricky because it got DMCA'd. avoid any particularly sketch-seeming sites, but it is Out There, on that great ol wide web
* once you get that, you'll want to apply some community-made patches that have been made in the couple years since its release. this is doable with a handy launcher (not dmca'd!): https://github.com/AM2R-Community-Developers/AM2RLauncher/releases/tag/2.1.2
* open the launcher, point it at your v1.1, and it'll patch it up to the cur||rent version (and optionally build an android APK if you want to play it there)

the launcher does require a PC. also, I dunno what your computing setup might be (mac?), but it's just a 2D game maker game so you might have an okay time with a windows VM for this tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

you can play Other M emulated with a preconfigured control scheme that translates all the awkward motion controls onto a normal controller so you can bypass the absolute worst part of the experience, having to play a 10+ hour 3D game with a sideways wiimote clutched in your hands

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Renegret posted:

Final Boss: Though my one big gripe with Dread is the final boss. I'm super into the Cosmic Horror thing with Metroid final bosses so having the final boss here be a deadbeat dad birdman feels super lame. I like Raven Beak as a villain but I really wish the Raven Beak X Kraid Z-57 monstrosity was the real final boss and not just a cinematic setpiece
I mean following the main series we've had Brain in a Jar/Robot Dragon, Mamatroid/Cyborg Dragon, Brain with Legs, Ghost (Round 2), Big Metroid, and now Evil Power Suit Bird Dad

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Final boss plot:
"Samus, I am your father."
"..."
"My DNA created you."
"As did that of at least 6 other things, and they were all more family to me than you are. Including the X."

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Success! :hellyeah:

now to do it again on hard mode

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Bruceski posted:

Final boss plot:
"Samus, I am your father."
"..."
"My DNA created you."
"As did that of at least 6 other things, and they were all more family to me than you are. Including the X."

it's funny because, having just come off fusion where they kept talking about "the metroid vaccine," i thought they kept talking about "the metroid dna" in this one because the v-word is slightly loaded in 2021. but nope, makes sense as a precursor to everything else that happens

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I think my big gripe with the last boss/ending is that it pulls the really lame "you beat the boss but he was actually just toying with you and immediately beats you in the cutscene" trope. I think it's particularly egregious here, because Samus is repeatedly incredibly awesome in cutscenes but then oops bird dad just chokes her out after getting clowned on for the entire gameplay fight. I get what it's in service of, but there has to have been a way to have Samus metroid-out that lets you having beaten the boss actually mean something.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cleared my first run through at 100% in 10:48:32. Really enjoyed the game and the final boss was fun though took a few attempts to get the patterns down, which is fine by me. I really wish that a clear would let you use the metroid suit at least cosmetically for a hard mode or new game run, because it looks cool as hell and is in the running for my favorite suit in the series.

Really hope they keep Mercury Steam on for more 2d metroids, since they did a stellar job with this one and it looks like they really understand what people want out of one. Also interested to see what story direction they plan to take things and whether metroid will finally be able to crawl and how they might incorporate a controlled energy drain ability. Just make sure to credit all the people who worked on the game next time, Mercury Steam.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Renegret posted:

Other M is absolutely worth playing if you can get a cheap copy. Yes it's terrible but it's the the kind of terrible that needs to be experienced. And there's a reason everyone focuses on the poo poo rear end story, the actual gameplay isn't the worst. It's been a very long time since I've played it but I do recall having fun when the game allowed itself to be Metroid.

I will say though, Dread is the Metroid game that the series has needed for ages.

I feel like if Dread does well enough, then Nintendo is going to go ahead and give these devs the greatest challange ever asked:

Remake Other M, but in a way that doesn't suck tremendous rear end.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I feel like if Dread does well enough, then Nintendo is going to go ahead and give these devs the greatest challange ever asked:

If they ever want to try something like Other M again they'd need someone like Platinum with good third person action experience. Maybe MercurySteam could help with the world and map design though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i think it's fascinating how close the clear times are for a lot of folks. i've seen so many ~10:40 clear times for 100% and that's what i got as well

Orange Crush Rush posted:

that's literally impossible because the entire premise sucks the most rear end of all, it is the most unsalvageable piece of video game media ever created

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I got right about 11:00 for 100% clear too. Game was good. Samus's DNA is a loving mess though, holy poo poo. How many different species does she have crowding in there by now? Like five?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Your Computer posted:

i think it's fascinating how close the clear times are for a lot of folks. i've seen so many ~10:40 clear times for 100% and that's what i got as well

that's literally impossible because the entire premise sucks the most rear end of all, it is the most unsalvageable piece of video game media ever created

I feel some of the main plot points could work (how Samus and Adam got close, Samus feeling attached to the baby Metroid, Feds doing shady Fed poo poo etc). It's just they decided to dial everything to loving 11 and supplement it with some of the most nonsensical monologues in Video Game history (which is saying something) and it turned everything into a hot mess.

Also just cut the Ridley PTSD poo poo because that makes no sense by now.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Your Computer posted:

Same. I just checked and had a 10:48 for 100% lmao.

Other M doesn't need to exist, the story adds nothing to the greater story and just exists as a thing that happened. It's only significance is to have Samus meet Adam again, which considering he's from so far in her past, we should never have met him in the first place. Unless we get a game where she's still working for the feds which...no thanks. But considering how the game turned out to be, maybe it's better that it's not more significant story-wise.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Spent like half an hour failing to shinespark in the air when trying to do the first e-tank after the speedbooster backwards. Charged up in the room next door, then tried to stop right at the door, spinjump up, ball up, right myself up in mid-air, then diagonally spark to the uper right to get through the blocks without going straight and shooting past the pick-up.
(i only noticed the fan on the other side way later lol)

I can't get shinesparking mid-air from a spin jump to work, though. Whenever i right myself in mid-air after a spin jump and press the jump button again to spark, Samus just collapses into another spin downwards. Is there a trick i'm missing? I swear that poo poo was possible in earlier games with shine sparking.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I feel like you'd just be better off making another game that uses Other M's engine instead if any part of that should ever be revisited. One that uses the stick instead of a D-pad to move around.

And of course a not utterly garbage story.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

other M has some sick action game poo poo in it that's definitely worth exploring further imo, metroid can totally work like that

like if the dodge move wasn't semi-automatic and you actually had to execute it you have the basis of really satisfying combat right there

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Amppelix posted:

other M has some sick action game poo poo in it that's definitely worth exploring further imo, metroid can totally work like that

like if the dodge move wasn't semi-automatic and you actually had to execute it you have the basis of really satisfying combat right there

Now I want a game where Samus has a witch time ability.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

stev posted:

Now I want a game where Samus has a witch time ability.

Samus gets infected with Witch DNA that causes her to sprout a big cool hat out of her helmet.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

HenryEx posted:

I can't get shinesparking mid-air from a spin jump to work, though. Whenever i right myself in mid-air after a spin jump and press the jump button again to spark, Samus just collapses into another spin downwards. Is there a trick i'm missing? I swear that poo poo was possible in earlier games with shine sparking.

You can't shinespark out of a spinjump. You have to shoot just before you press jump to break the spin.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
That's what i mean by "righting myself". Getting Samus out of spin into upright position.

The problem is, if i press jump when upright in the air, she won't shinespark and just collapse into a spin again instead.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

you don't actually have to do them in sequence, pressing shoot + jump at the same time is an intentionally programmed in shortcut to instantly activate a shinespark out of a spin jump; the shot won't even come out

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TaurusOxford posted:

You can't shinespark out of a spinjump. You have to shoot just before you press jump to break the spin.

Amppelix posted:

you don't actually have to do them in sequence, pressing shoot + jump at the same time is an intentionally programmed in shortcut to instantly activate a shinespark out of a spin jump; the shot won't even come out

fwiw you never have to do a single shinespark this way in the entire game, none of the puzzles require it

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

HenryEx posted:

That's what i mean by "righting myself". Getting Samus out of spin into upright position.

The problem is, if i press jump when upright in the air, she won't shinespark and just collapse into a spin again instead.

and you're not holding a direction on the stick while pressing jump, right?

Your Computer posted:

fwiw you never have to do a single shinespark this way in the entire game, none of the puzzles require it

Maybe not for a normal playthrough, but pretty necessary for early Gravity Suit.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

nah it isn't, you have to do midair sparks for that one (also that is part of the normal route for a pickup so it is part of a normal playthrough) but you don't have to be spin jumping (in fact that just adds unnecessary complications)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
yeah, you just do those out of a freefall, all you gotta do is time your b press

https://i.imgur.com/DYClwJG.mp4

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I've been taking my time through this and being thorough. Got to the underwater boss yesterday, died once after being hugely annoyed at how slow I moved underwater, started dicking around and figured out how to go around even fighting it by path breaking. I'm avoiding watching speedruns and such because I'm trying to have fun figuring out my own ways to maximize the game and break paths, but is there anything I need from this fight because my path break doesn't exactly seem intended?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Darko posted:

I've been taking my time through this and being thorough. Got to the underwater boss yesterday, died once after being hugely annoyed at how slow I moved underwater, started dicking around and figured out how to go around even fighting it by path breaking. I'm avoiding watching speedruns and such because I'm trying to have fun figuring out my own ways to maximize the game and break paths, but is there anything I need from this fight because my path break doesn't exactly seem intended?

Nope. In fact, even speedruns skip it in any% runs.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Yeah the lava boss and the underwater boss exist entirely to block your progress, you don't get anything from them directly.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Not that the boss actually puts up any sort of fight once you finally figure out how to hurt it

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Re: the water boss, after working out the button thing the only issue I had was dodging the big tentacle attack in time. Aiming and firing the grapple hook under pressure is a real weak spot for me. My fingers just forget what to do.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

chumbler posted:

Also interested to see what story direction they plan to take things and whether metroid will finally be able to crawl and how they might incorporate a controlled energy drain ability. Just make sure to credit all the people who worked on the game next time, Mercury Steam.

I think the simplest way to implement energy drain would just be attach it to the counter mechanic. It already heals you so you don't even need to change anything but the animation.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

OhFunny posted:

Incredible Doomguy energy from Samus in this game.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I am 3 hours into this game and am enjoying a lot of it. Here are the things I am enjoying

*Samus's design.
*The atmosphere
*The game flows well.
*During the Kraid boss fight when you first meet Kraid and Samus just boops him with a charge shot to show him whose boss.

The one thing that is grating on me is
*Smaus's AI friend calling him lady? like it seems super weird and out of place. Then again, I am not as well versed in Metroid games as I am in other. I played Super Metroid, Prime 1+2 and now this but it seems very antithetical to Samus being a badass.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Just realizing now, Samus was orphaned young and then raised by birds. Did the Chozo teach her about mascara or did she get to the Federation and have them go "hmm nice armor but yknow your eyes don't really 'pop', why don't you swing by Corporal Roxy at Space Kohls and she can get you sorted"

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

*Smaus's AI friend calling him lady? like it seems super weird and out of place. Then again, I am not as well versed in Metroid games as I am in other. I played Super Metroid, Prime 1+2 and now this but it seems very antithetical to Samus being a badass.
this was established in fusion and yeah it does come off pretty awkwardly (especially in the wake of other m, oof), probably one of those things that sounded cool as an english loanword in japanese but then they translated it too straight

the idea is that it's a somewhat silly affectionate nickname between the two

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Mooseontheloose posted:

It's a Metroid Fusion thing - technically spoilers for that game: The AI is the uploaded mind of Adam Malkovic, a past now-deceased commanding officer of Samus's and pretty much the only person she respected to give her orders. He calls her lady as a sign of mutual respect, it's a kind of thing between them. At least until Other M kind of butchered that backstory, but uh ignoring that, yeah, it's characterization established in Fusion.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Ignoring Other M for obvious reasons, my read on that interaction from Fusion is that it was an inside joke between the two that stuck.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bladeworksmaster posted:

Ignoring Other M for obvious reasons, my read on that interaction from Fusion is that it was an inside joke between the two that stuck.

yeah, this was my reading as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah the gist is that he ends all his orders with "Any objections, Lady?", basically as a showing of respect for her opinion, even if she wasn't in a position to/had any reason to object.