Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Artelier posted:

Like 400+ posts ago (aka like...2 or 3 days ago) I said I was new and Alt F4'd out of the skill tree tutorial. Thank you for all the feedback, and I do think I might bounce off this game since the appeal is the character growth/management, but I do want to give it a fair shot, because I do like the "feel" of the game as I was clicking on enemies. After reading everyone's responses, I think I am going to follow this guide that Herstory Begins Now posted:

Doing Cold DOT because I picked Witch as my starter class. Been busy with work so haven't had time to game properly. I did take a look at the guide and I already have a (potentially silly) question: what is a BBB wand that I need to look out for? Not sure if I missed any jargon/terminology on the site, there's a lot to go through.

BBB stands for Blue-Blue-Blue, which is the number of linked sockets you want and the colour they need to be. Ideally, you'll be looking for a wand with those sockets and item mods on it that affect spells such as increased spell damage, increased element damage, cast speed, added flat elemental damage to spells, global critical strike chance and multiplier, etc. A big one to look out for early on is mods that increase the global level of certain spells, such as "+1 to all lightning spell skill gems", just that by itself is adequate early on. This bonus affects any lightning spell gem you have equipped, not just the one in the wand. In your case, it'd be cold spell skill gems.

Also, there's no silly questions about PoE. The game is mechanically very complex and there is no limit to how much you can learn about the game. Do note that there's an in-game help menu that does a fairly good job of explaining the workings of each game mechanic, with videos and pictures to help illustrate. It also has a glossary of many (but sadly not all) terms used in-game and a brief explanation of them.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Oct 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Artelier posted:

Like 400+ posts ago (aka like...2 or 3 days ago) I said I was new and Alt F4'd out of the skill tree tutorial. Thank you for all the feedback, and I do think I might bounce off this game since the appeal is the character growth/management, but I do want to give it a fair shot, because I do like the "feel" of the game as I was clicking on enemies. After reading everyone's responses, I think I am going to follow this guide that Herstory Begins Now posted:

Doing Cold DOT because I picked Witch as my starter class. Been busy with work so haven't had time to game properly. I did take a look at the guide and I already have a (potentially silly) question: what is a BBB wand that I need to look out for? Not sure if I missed any jargon/terminology on the site, there's a lot to go through.

3 blue linked sockets. but not to discourage you, but the drat skill tree might be the least complicated part of the game. otoh, none of the complex details matter until you already know what you're doing.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

but the drat skill tree might be the least complicated part of the game

It's absolutely not the least complicated thing in the game, the passive tree is an unnerving thing to first encounter for many people. It's huge, it throws a dozen different attributes at you, it branches loving everywhere, it's perfectly primed to cause choice paralysis, or fears over picking the wrong nodes etc. It's true that once you learn more about the core mechanics it becomes less intimidating, but that's small consolation for the new. I remember the streamer Preach remarking during his first few acts that he didn't know if you could feasibly re-allocate more than a handful of passive tree points, and as a result felt like he could accidently ruin the character with un-informed choices.

I sometimes wonder if, during the first 10-12 character levels on a new account, they should blur out the areas outside your class starting area or obscure it in some way so that it isn't such a huge shock for new players. Maybe gradually reveal the passive tree each level. I have a gut feeling that more people quit the game because the passive tree scares them off, than people who would quit because they open it up and it's fairly small and seemingly "underwhelming" at first. If I'm a witch just starting out, I really don't care that I can get bow crit nodes on the bottom right corner of the tree.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Oct 15, 2021

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It wouldn't help. Some of the things that you might want to shoot for because you want to do 'a certain thing' can be a long way off.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
And now we're getting a tree inside the tree so that we can tree while we tree...or something.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Thinking trickster archmage ignite again

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Didn't one of the node for trickster get dumpstered

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

quote:

Problem:
Builds wanting to invest in both Evasion and Energy Shield rely heavily on Ghost Dance, requiring them to be a Trickster.

Solution:
Give everyone access to Ghost Dance as a Keystone Passive.

quote:

Trickster
Added a new notable, which replaces Ghost Dance, that provides "Every 10 seconds, take no Damage over Time for 5 seconds."

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The node is now called Skanking.

I woke up with an idea for a galvanic arrow champion who chases around a tornado. What.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think I’m going to remake the old mathil chieftain cyclone and get spell block from versatile combatant

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Escape artist (2pts), Prolonged Pain and Swift Killer is what you take.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I think I'm doing spectral helix raider again. Pick up a decent es/evasion shield and have ghost dance act as a pseudo soul tether, filling up a ~1k es buffer on every proc.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

boredsatellite posted:

Didn't one of the node for trickster get dumpstered

Half immunity to damage over time is good, actually

And evasion got buffed so evasion ascendancies will be fine

von Braun posted:

Actually I think I’ll take the super powerful mana node on my archmage build ty

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no real clue what I'm doing. raider seems pretty nerfed, but since you need less total evasion maybe losing the huge more evasion multipliers isn't such a big deal. probably just do a brainless slayer attack build or bow pathfinder. im tired of league starting arc witch or bane occultist.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

Anno posted:

I try to get into PoE every other league or so, and this one looks pretty rad. Plus all sorts of poo poo is changed so I won't be as bothered by trying to create my own build rather than following a guide.

Kind of silly question, though - what are good skills that are just some form of hitting a baddie with a sword/axe/club? I'd like to play something big and tanky - even if it has lower DPS. I just dislike characters that ostensibly attack with melee weapons but do it through throwing a weapon or creating a shockwave or slamming the ground or (the worst) spinning around so long as you have mana etc.

Late to this discussion but boneshatter is a pretty interesting melee skill that came out this league. It's a strike skill, which is as melee as you can get, but it comes with an aoe proc that works well for pack clearing. The self-damage mechanic compels you to build high durability/regen. Very stun oriented, and if you spec hard enough you can regularly stun endgame bosses which I found very satisfying.

At least the way I built it, it's definitely on the slow side for pack clear and boss fighting. But, it can take a boatload of punishment and keep going. I killed 3 characters this league trying to get past the formed maven invite before wading through it with a boneshatter juggernaut. Nearly 5 minutes of eating hits from all 4 shaper guardians and slowly bonking them to death is a good testament to its durability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdeZ_pxCYpQ

There are other ways to build it though. The strength stacking route with pillar of the caged god yields like 8x more damage with high investment, and there's all sorts of interesting stuff to be done using the self-damage with cwdt to trigger utility skills. Some people also run a 6l vengeance and get basically two attacks from one. This guy is a good example of high end str stacking https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds/char/Leoo69/MaxiTacoss

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I am thinking about Baron Zombies + Iron Will + Intuitive Link + some spell.

Then again, I might leave that for a second build as I expect a lot of people will do strength stacking at the start. I started doing Seismic/Exsanguinate trap as I lost interest in the league, and it felt really strong, and was untouched on the damage side, although it did lose dodge and got hit by the weaker blind - that might be what I go with as it was fairly easy to get going on no gear.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Time to get yet another Weta pet/skin transfer:

https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/1448848862144172040

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
People are theorycrafting the peak possible stats you can get through Mageblood and it's looking loving absurd at the moment -

Would you like 150% all resist?
How about 320% increased crit?
108% increased movespeed?
Or perhaps 70% chaos and curse immunity?
Maybe you want 3k evasion/armour and 120% increased armor/evasion?
80% damage and 34% cast/attack speed?
Finally, how about 80% all resist, 100% fire, cold or lit resist and 40% less fire, cold or lit damage taken?

Pick four and go loving nuts.

Edit: this isn't even peak, whoops, it doesn't factor in any source of flask effect aside from the enchant and the flask effect prefix mod.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 15, 2021

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Passive tree today?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
It's supposed to compete with headhunter so I'm not surprised.

Also, hear me out - lightsaber Hiero slam totems. Anybody? Anybody? Ice Crash gives you the best bang for your buck in terms of added damage effectiveness, and you have three chances to hit.

I thought of a funny bonus for that since it totally replaces your weapon and all of its stats except sockets- if you want to go two handed, just trade for a white six link with the colors you need. Don't need to get anything special.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

please knock Mom! posted:

Actually I think I’ll take the super powerful mana node on my archmage build ty

Archmage :cawg:

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

von Braun posted:

FYI, Escape Artist had a change as well, but it wasn't readily apparent until you refreshed the patch notes.

quote:

Escape Artist: No longer requires Ghost Dance (which has been replaced with a new Notable). No longer grants "5% increased Attack and Cast Speed per Ghost Shroud" or "Cannot be Stunned while you have Ghost Shrouds".

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo
I really hope someone makes a good Hit-something-so-hard-it-ignites league starter I can do in SSF. I just want to hit thing so hard they literally explode (fire explode, not blood explode).

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Andohz posted:

I really hope someone makes a good Hit-something-so-hard-it-ignites league starter I can do in SSF. I just want to hit thing so hard they literally explode (fire explode, not blood explode).

That's infernal blow, no ignite needed

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
swift killer quickly turns into a pretty bad node on trickster unless you're making use of both the power charges and frenzy charges, because unless you channel you're not getting them against bosses where they count. I'll probably be taking the anti-DoT node as last 2 points, going swift killer -> weave -> patient -> prolonged -> respec swift to anti-DoT

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Abyss posted:

FYI, Escape Artist had a change as well, but it wasn't readily apparent until you refreshed the patch notes.

Yeah, the Stun nerf is bad, the other not huge. Run Brine King instead

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

nightwisher posted:

People are theorycrafting the peak possible stats you can get through Mageblood and it's looking loving absurd at the moment -

Would you like 150% all resist?
How about 320% increased crit?
108% increased movespeed?
Or perhaps 70% chaos and curse immunity?
Maybe you want 3k evasion/armour and 120% increased armor/evasion?
80% damage and 34% cast/attack speed?
Finally, how about 80% all resist, 100% fire, cold or lit resist and 40% less fire, cold or lit damage taken?

Pick four and go loving nuts.

Edit: this isn't even peak, whoops, it doesn't factor in any source of flask effect aside from the enchant and the flask effect prefix mod.

That belt is gonna be insane and I suspect it’ll be kind of like the bossing version of HH. Except it’s still useful in maps, too. But I think HH will ultimately still reign supreme as the Mapper’s Choice.

Did they say whether it would be in the general drop pool or was it gonna come from one of the new Uber endgames?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

search engine posted:

Late to this discussion but boneshatter is a pretty interesting melee skill that came out this league. It's a strike skill, which is as melee as you can get, but it comes with an aoe proc that works well for pack clearing. The self-damage mechanic compels you to build high durability/regen. Very stun oriented, and if you spec hard enough you can regularly stun endgame bosses which I found very satisfying.

At least the way I built it, it's definitely on the slow side for pack clear and boss fighting. But, it can take a boatload of punishment and keep going. I killed 3 characters this league trying to get past the formed maven invite before wading through it with a boneshatter juggernaut. Nearly 5 minutes of eating hits from all 4 shaper guardians and slowly bonking them to death is a good testament to its durability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdeZ_pxCYpQ

There are other ways to build it though. The strength stacking route with pillar of the caged god yields like 8x more damage with high investment, and there's all sorts of interesting stuff to be done using the self-damage with cwdt to trigger utility skills. Some people also run a 6l vengeance and get basically two attacks from one. This guy is a good example of high end str stacking https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds/char/Leoo69/MaxiTacoss

Boneshatter is a strike and not a slam so i don’t have to worry about exert management? Hmmmmm

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Did they say whether it would be in the general drop pool or was it gonna come from one of the new Uber endgames?

Core drop. The 4 anoint amulet is from Uber Blight, give-body-armour-a-seventh-link amulet is Uber Breach, and they revealed a Uber Timeless armor that works with the new time warp skill.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

Captain Foo posted:

Boneshatter is a strike and not a slam so i don’t have to worry about exert management? Hmmmmm

Ancestral cry can make some satisfying cluster explosions against packs, and intimidating cry is nice for double damage hits to land bigger stuns on bosses, but neither is really necessary and it's minimal overhead compared to the juggling required for slams.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They completely gutted seismic cry last league which sort of killed a lot of cry builds

Except for generals cry ofc and a few others

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Did they nerf ghost dance when transitioning it to the tree like they did with wicked ward?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I remember having a bunch of success previously with the Storm Brand gameplay, which lets you kind of fire-and-forget the brands while you run around dodging/keeping ahead of the swarms of insanely dangerous stuff.

Other than Brands, what plays like that? I feel like minions tend to be a bit squishy when damage starts going nuts, which I'm sure it will with Scourge.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I'll probably go Jugg something to see if armor feels better and then pop on Corrupted Soul+some increased ES% nodes later on to try out Energy Blade.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Totems, rage vortex, minions

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Did they nerf ghost dance when transitioning it to the tree like they did with wicked ward?

yeah its recovers less ES and you can't get more max ES than you have EV (I don't see this ever mattering?)

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

No damage reduction per shroud, es recovery down to 3% of evasion from 5% and "Can't recover es to above evasion rating"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

search engine posted:

Ancestral cry can make some satisfying cluster explosions against packs, and intimidating cry is nice for double damage hits to land bigger stuns on bosses, but neither is really necessary and it's minimal overhead compared to the juggling required for slams.

Hmm. Never played a jugg either, this might be a decent league for it

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

nightwisher posted:

Also, there's no silly questions about PoE. The game is mechanically very complex and there is no limit to how much you can learn about the game.

It's not just complex, it's obtuse and obfuscated.

For example, many skills will describe things as "nearby". What does that mean? Well.. depends on the skill.

https://www.poewiki.net/wiki/Distance

And other things that may seem obvious might just be obvious but it might just be some stupid wording that doesn't actually work that way.
Or what the game says is just straight up wrong: https://twitch.tv/videos/1176377833?t=45643s

Context: Steelmage won the last Gauntlet (i.e. PoE with huge difficulty mods added + solo self found + hardcore) and played the entire Expedition league of 3 months without dying once. His character was using bleed damage so it would have directly benefited from this if 1) he had known and 2) if he chose to use it.

So [one of the] best player in the game doesn't know a thing that directly affects his character.

Yeah, there's no stupid PoE questions.

vvv sure, but it's just an example of how convoluted the game can be. Nearby ranges from 25 (belt of the deceiver) to 120 (conduit) - that's a pretty big range.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nearby is almost always big enough where it doesn’t matter which is nice