Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

So basically, if the killer's motivations are revealled, he's left wing. If they're 'not important,' he's right wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Yeah regardless of anything else, I don't think we've had an MP murdered for non-Ireland reasons since the pre-modern era, certainly not in living memory. Two in five years is... probably not a sign of a good direction.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Angrymog posted:

Might not be a hospital in reasonable ambulance transfer time distance to deal with serious stabbings.

Yeah, sucks.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
If the killer turns out to be a left-winger we're never going to hear the end of it lmao

What's that, who killed Jo Cox? Ohhh, mental illness was it, of course.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/del0ser/status/1449015853119377418

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

happyhippy posted:

Yeah, sucks.

Wow just think, he might have lived if all the austerity of the last decade hadn't caused A&E closures all over the place and had ambulance services running on a shoestring.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Angrymog posted:

Might not be a hospital in reasonable ambulance transfer time distance to deal with serious stabbings.

Oops - didn't realise he'd carked it.

Ah, you have to chuckle. Tory MP died because he couldn't get to hospital fast enough because of Tory policy on shuttering hospitals.

Anyway, I'll go find the world's smallest violin & play out a tune.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

If the killer turns out to be a left-winger we're never going to hear the end of it lmao

What's that, who killed Jo Cox? Ohhh, mental illness was it, of course.

Even if they don't turn out to be 'a left winger', if the motivations are a lumpen reaction against Tories being Tories, as some are speculating, it will snowball into a general 'complaining about government policy is bad and violent and you mustn't do it, even if it's killing you'. A lot of fun ahead.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Well that's the worst outcome.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Comedy option is that he was just murdered by a long-suffering constituency assistant, who couldn't take any more of his shite.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
This is a very sad day - in the sense that the Kermode and Mayo film show has been preempted by the death of some Tory scum, so I'm missing out on quality DUNC content

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

keep punching joe posted:

Comedy option is that he was just murdered by a long-suffering constituency assistant, who couldn't take any more of his shite.

I've spent a fair amount of time in Leigh on sea when I was young and people do get very, very angry about The Bins there

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Apraxin posted:

an MP murdered for non-Ireland reasons
Amess was Catholic and was stabbed in/outside a church, so there's an outside chance that the assailant turns out to be a raving anti-Catholic and Julie Burchill eats poo poo over picking this week to imply that all Ireland is in the grip of the Pope and something needs to be done about Them.

Not that it's the most likely series of events, but Julie Burchill eating poo poo is often the least worst consequence of any series of events.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
On one hand, this is going to be spun into mass outrage against the 'tolerant left' (bad), all the sensibles will merrily go along with it (bad), and the narrative will stick where it counts, every further pushing our political system beyond the remotest chance of salvage (very bad).

On the other, a tory got stabbed up (good), then couldn't be saved in time because of tory policy (hilarious).

So who can say whether it is a good or a bad thing, I guess.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It'll be blamed on the left regardless. Might as well make our peace with it now, Jo Cox continues to be a footnote and David Amess will become a martyr to the cause.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Expect a 'new knife crime measures to be introduced' within a week or two.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Rename thread to "Well That Was Amess"

:bravo:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

happyhippy posted:

Expect a 'new knife crime measures to be introduced' within a week or two.

are you implying we're going to have to get knife licences?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Ah, you have to chuckle. Tory MP died because he couldn't get to hospital fast enough because of Tory policy on shuttering hospitals.

Anyway, I'll go find the world's smallest violin & play out a tune.
If this is the case it's going to be weaponised as 'see, this is why we need to give Virgin Hospitals permission to replace the entire NHS with a big vending machine.'

E: the diagnostic machine from idiocracy, but it's operated by a legacy oxbridge going 'mate, mate listen mate, it's tuberculosis.'

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 15, 2021

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

are you implying we're going to have to get knife licences?

It's a "cunning plan" to get more butchers... pigs are needing killed.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
The lesson that will be taken from this is that MPs shouldn't intermingle with the proles in person, but instead address them exclusively via Guardian columns or GB News

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Guavanaut posted:

Amess was Catholic and was stabbed in/outside a church, so there's an outside chance that the assailant turns out to be a raving anti-Catholic and Julie Burchill eats poo poo over picking this week to imply that all Ireland is in the grip of the Pope and something needs to be done about Them.

Not that it's the most likely series of events, but Julie Burchill eating poo poo is often the least worst consequence of any series of events.

He's Catholic, but the meeting was at a Methodist church.

https://twitter.com/amessd_southend/status/1447876799531212800

Apraxin posted:

Yeah regardless of anything else, I don't think we've had an MP murdered for non-Ireland reasons since the pre-modern era, certainly not in living memory. Two in five years is... probably not a sign of a good direction.

The same ugly trend is happening in the United States. There were a few attacks on members of Congress in the 60s and 70s, including the assassination of Robert Kennedy and the death of Leo Ryan by the People's Temple cult in Guyana. But after that, political violence was quiet for decades, until within the space of a few years, we've had Rep. Gabrielle Giffords barely surviving being shot in the head at a constituency meeting (2011), Rep. Steve Scalise being badly injured during an shooting at a Congressional baseball game (2017), and Senator Rand Paul having his ribs broken by his neighbor in a weird dispute (2019).

It's the new golden age of attempts on politicians. I can't say why. Political polarization, combined with the internet making it easy to track politicians' movement?

EDIT: Yeah, Rand Paul's story doesn't really fit my point. I'll leave it in my post because it's a weird story.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 15, 2021

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i've been hearing people saying that pigs need killing for a while now

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Just Another Lurker posted:

It's a "cunning plan" to get more butchers... pigs are needing killed.

The BBC are literally interviewing a local butcher right now :tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If this is the case it's going to be weaponised as 'see, this is why we need to give Virgin Hospitals permission to replace the entire NHS with a big vending machine.'

They would argue that regardless, who the gently caress cares?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

William Bear posted:

The same ugly trend is happening in the United States. There were a few attacks on members of Congress in the 60s and 70s, including the assassination of Robert Kennedy and the death of Leo Ryan by the People's Temple cult in Guyana. But after that, political violence was quiet for decades, until within the space of a few years, we've had Rep. Gabrielle Giffords barely surviving being shot in the head at a constituency meeting (2011), Rep. Steve Scalise being badly injured during an shooting at a Congressional baseball game (2017), and Senator Rand Paul having his ribs broken by his neighbor in a weird dispute (2019).

It's the new golden age of attempts on politicians. I can't say why. Political polarization, combined with the internet making it easy to track politicians' movement?

I wouldn't lump what happened to Rand Paul in with the other stuff, which is all political violence. Rand got tackled by his neighbor who went super saiyan after seeing Rand toss brush from his yard over the property line. They had also feuded over fences and property lines in the past. Just a very weird interpersonal beef, but very funny.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/DrFrancesRyan/status/1449018185383022592?s=20

This tweet got me thinking a bit about what MPs actually are. Can they really be described as 'public servants' just 'going to work', as if they worked at the post office? It almost implies a sense of neutrality which I'm not sure is particularly helpful - there are very good reasons why a Tory MP might be actively despised by someone because their job is by definition political, they collectively determine the whole fabric of our society and commit acts of violence many times more destructive than an isolated knife attack every single day. There are going to be consequences for doing that, of course their are. That's not necessarily a bad thing. The idea that politicians should just be left to 'do their job' in peace is asinine when 'their job' is actively killing people. Perhaps MPs not being scared of their constituents is actually more of a problem here.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Apraxin posted:

William Bear posted:

Do you think we'll get to a point where a lynch mob storms parliament shouting "Hang Rishi Sunak", while Patel is furiously live tweeting his location?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

William Bear posted:

You missed out that chud militia who were planning to kidnap and execute the state governer because she wanted to to a Covid lockdown.

People are losing their poo poo all over.

ThomasPaine posted:

There are going to be consequences for doing that, of course their are. That's not necessarily a bad thing. The idea that politicians should just be left to 'do their job' in peace is asinine when 'their job' is actively killing people. Perhaps MPs not being scared of their constituents is actually more of a problem here.

ehhh... I'm going to be controversial and suggest that MPs being in fear for their lives from the general public is actually a bad thing.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 15, 2021

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

William Bear posted:

Senator Rand Paul having his ribs broken by his neighbor in a weird dispute (2019).

lol, getting into a fist fight with a neighbour and losing isn't in the same league as being assassinated don't try and pad your stats.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

You missed out that chud militia who were planning to kidnap and execute the state governer because she wanted to to a Covid lockdown.

Didn't like half the people in that turn out to be paid informants and intelligence people?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

William Bear posted:

The first two decades of the 21st C are currently paralleling the first two decades of the 20th C to an incredible extent, so I'm sure some great stuff is in store for us in the 2030s and 2040s

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

JoylessJester posted:

lol, getting into a fist fight with a neighbour and losing isn't in the same league as being assassinated don't try and pad your stats.

Yeah Rand got owned because he kept dumping leaves on his neighbour's lawn and got caught in the act one hilarious time.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

https://twitter.com/DrFrancesRyan/status/1449018185383022592?s=20

This tweet got me thinking a bit about what MPs actually are. Can they really be described as 'public servants' just 'going to work', as if they worked at the post office? It almost implies a sense of neutrality which I'm not sure is particularly helpful - there are very good reasons why a Tory MP might be actively despised by someone because their job is by definition political, they collectively determine the whole fabric of our society and commit acts of violence many times more destructive than an isolated knife attack every single day. There are going to be consequences for doing that, of course their are. That's not necessarily a bad thing. The idea that politicians should just be left to 'do their job' in peace is asinine when 'their job' is actively killing people. Perhaps MPs not being scared of their constituents is actually more of a problem here.

Sure, but the entire point of democracy is to have methods of settling political disputes without violence - That if you have political groups compete over the popular vote they don't get the knives out and start conflicts that wrap up alot of other people in their wake. A healthy democracy is one where political classes are confident they aren't at risk of violence in their competitions for power. The problem is the fix is "stop doing politics that kills people, and they might stop killing you in return" which is not something the Tories want to hear or bargain with.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

William Bear posted:

There was also the time somebody shot Reagan in '81.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Sure, but the entire point of democracy is to have methods of settling political disputes without violence - That if you have political groups compete over the popular vote they don't get the knives out and start conflicts that wrap up alot of other people in their wake. A healthy democracy is one where political classes are confident they aren't at risk of violence in their competitions for power. The problem is the fix is "stop doing politics that kills people, and they might stop killing you in return" which is not something the Tories want to hear or bargain with.

Maybe there's a consequences of the moneyed classes manipulating politics to ensure that only an incredibly narrow group of views are allowed to take part in any meaningful way?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

ThomasPaine posted:

The first two decades of the 21st C are currently paralleling the first two decades of the 20th C to an incredible extent, so I'm sure some great stuff is in store for us in the 2030s and 2040s

Thats a little bit silly - we have no world war in europe parallel at all which is a huge omission.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I think that it's fair to expect physical violence to be exceptional, but I do wonder whether we might have significantly more co-operative MPs if they knew that there was a non-zero chance of being picked up and chucked off a bridge if they hosed off too many people

namesake posted:

Thats a little bit silly - we have no world war in europe parallel at all which is a huge omission.

Ha, I know, I'm mostly kidding. Though you could argue the various wars in the middle east are a decent enough parallel. On everything else though... financial crash, pandemic, an elite class that thinks it's completely invulnerable, political polarisation.

That said obviously very little chance of any popular uprising (in whichever direction) happening in established, developed nations these days because the state's monopoly on violence is far tighter than it was back in first decades of the 20th C. Much though I like to fantasise about it I'm really not sure how a revolutionary movement would build itself any meaningful power base in 2021, even if it enjoyed a good amount of public sympathy, given the level of surveillance we're under at all times.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 15, 2021

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

SixFigureSandwich posted:

There was also the time somebody shot Reagan in '81.

Also remember when Something Awful successfully killed the president in 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

My money's on an anti-vaxxer.