Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Literally 1 coin away from crafting Jaraxxus and Ahune gives me 4 stacks of Lady Anacondra instead :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Ok, so bots are broken. Now how do I play the bots instead of the people who just instakill two of my dudes on the first turn?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

RatHat posted:

Gruul is poo poo in PvP but he's quite useful for the final PvE area

Yeah, I was wondering about his purpose when I came across him in my collection last night. Then I remembered the final area is Blackrock Mountain and I was like, ok, that makes sense. Eventually when they expand the merc pool you could imagine him being part of a PvP team if a dragon comp becomes dominant in the meta, but at the moment I think it's kind of neat that there are a few niche PvE choices.

Chernabog posted:

I think the main problem with the Merc mode is that way too many of them are garbage without a comp. 2 "synergy" mercs are not worth it, 3 is workable but you are gimping yourself if any of them die. You probably need at least 4 so it makes sense. As a F2P player (with 1.5k gold tossed towards packs) I still don't have 4 mercs of any one synergy.

My best party ignores most synergies and just goes for standalone strong mercs. Incidentally I only run Grom as my only Legendary.

For my first attempt to build a party with synergy I chose beasts, so I started with Anacondra, Mukla, and King Krush, and then... uh, Brightwing? Thought I could do something with the bench buff and swap moves. And then I added Malfurion and Guff for some kind of backup nature spell synergy thing which kind of went nowhere.

Even looking at the mercs I didn't own there weren't really any that added much to the beast trio I started with, and then there was Blink Fox, which is a beast but doesn't synergize with any of the others because it doesn't have any attacks. I think tribal synergies are the obvious place to start but there's a lot to be said for building comps based on ability synergies as well.

I'm still in the brainstorming stage of party building at the moment but already it feels like there just aren't enough mercs in the game! I've only really done the first area too so maybe I'm getting ahead of myself even imagining that the PvE challenges require synergistic comps. In fact the game is still so new I'm starting to wonder if the way I'm imagining it in my head is... not the game we actually got.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I've got a friend quest to use up, shoot an invite to Patspens #1675.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

RatHat posted:

Uh anyone beat Emperor Thaurissian? I don't understand how it's even possible to win.

I just did it and I only had kurtrus, xyrella, and millhouse remaining when I started it. But I got lucky since I got a boon that increases caster hp by 50. Otherwise, try to have a rounded enough party to where you know you're going to lose the first three and when the bombs go off and you only have three left, try to stack direct damage that's hopefully from casters.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Patrick Spens posted:

I've got a friend quest to use up, shoot an invite to Patspens #1675.

i'm around if you still need this filled, just sent you an invite.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Lister posted:

I got a boon that increases caster hp by 50.

I've only taken one boon so far but it was one that gave all my casters zero cooldown on their abilities. And one of them had the treasure that lets you full heal your party. That was an easy run.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Apparently the Xyrella treasure skill that forces an ally to attack enemy minions until they die, and the Samuro treasure that makes him immune when attacking is an instawin

EDIT: Full Orcs looks like a really busted comp but it’s so expensive to get all the mercs for it. I think the ideal setup would be Garrosh, Thrall, Samuro, Saurfang, Rokara, and Gul’dan which is 3 legendaries, 1 epic, and 2 rares. I guess maybe you could switch out Gul’dan for Xyrella who has synergy with Garrosh and Samuro.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 15, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Amoeba102 posted:

And what do you get from doing this?

Edit- it's great how delayed this mode was, only for it to be broken UI wise on mobile or windowed mode with battle info being offscreen. Can't actually see what attacks my opponentts are using.

An extremely high amount of XP compared to PvE, and about twice as many coins (which I believe are for guys you have or random, so possibly better than the ones a bounty gives).

Padical
Nov 29, 2004

RatHat posted:

Apparently the Xyrella treasure skill that forces an ally to attack enemy minions until they die, and the Samuro treasure that makes him immune when attacking is an instawin

EDIT: Full Orcs looks like a really busted comp but it’s so expensive to get all the mercs for it. I think the ideal setup would be Garrosh, Thrall, Samuro, Saurfang, Rokara, and Gul’dan which is 3 legendaries, 1 epic, and 2 rares. I guess maybe you could switch out Gul’dan for Xyrella who has synergy with Garrosh and Samuro.

I was playing this but with Cairne instead of Thrall (because I don't have him). It's good, but you Xyrella + Cariel Roame beats me every time.

The biggest challenge is PVP is how you will deal with Samuro, Cariel and Xyrella. Second is how you will deal with Ragnaros, Geddon and a third fire character. I think early pvp meta will revolve in answering these problems and then evolving from there.

I was playing with a humans + Samuro build and I think it's both fun and good. Lich King, Varian, Samuro, Tirion, Uther, Natalie. There's a lot of synergy just in using Varian's move to lower human's speed. His attack buff deathblow is also a nice surprise. Lich king increases enemy speed, has a good taunt, and has a heal/nuke. Natalie can keep you alive and can burn down the turn one Cariel Roam roadblock. Tirion and Uther are follow-ups and disrupt the game a lot. Tirion, Uther and Natalie are really tanky and have good burst. Samuro is just good. Any speed 4 or faster attack lets him proc his double swing.

I'm sure there's a better version of this team, but so far it feels good to play.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Is anyone using the Pack Tracker plug-in with Hearthstone Deck Tracker?

Seems broken since the addition of Mercenary packs, maybe they changed the pack IDs in the game?

Official Github page hasn't been updated since April.

Is there a fix or a fork that works?
I don't want to install Overwolf for Firestone :(

Edit: Apparently it's not the pack tracker but HDT that needs to sort something out first. Ah well...

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 15, 2021

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

One of the better treasure combos i found was having dawnstar and Jaina, both having a "whenever an enemy is frozen, deal x damage to them" and dawnstar picking up ice shard. It was a slaughter.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Can anyone explain why doing tasks (and thereby going to The Barrens and retiring) is the way to power level your teams? Thanks.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

mcbexx posted:

Is anyone using the Pack Tracker plug-in with Hearthstone Deck Tracker?

Seems broken since the addition of Mercenary packs, maybe they changed the pack IDs in the game?

Official Github page hasn't been updated since April.

Is there a fix or a fork that works?
I don't want to install Overwolf for Firestone :(

Edit: Apparently it's not the pack tracker but HDT that needs to sort something out first. Ah well...

Yea, noticed this as well, it's probably gonna take a coordinated update from both HDT and the plugin to fix

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Mayveena posted:

Can anyone explain why doing tasks (and thereby going to The Barrens and retiring) is the way to power level your teams? Thanks.

Like from a game design perspective? Probably because it's unintended and letting players progress for free faster than they planned lol. Watch them drop a hotfix to limit the mysterious stranger event to one per day, I give it by the end of the weekend.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

goferchan posted:

Like from a game design perspective? Probably because it's unintended and letting players progress for free faster than they planned lol. Watch them drop a hotfix to limit the mysterious stranger event to one per day, I give it by the end of the weekend.

I didn't realize it let you progress that fast but I've basically only played for about an hour or so because of the stupid bug that's finally fixed. Yes once per day would seem to make more sense. Let's see if I can stand to grind the tasks this way before they fix it.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
On the subject of type comps in Mercenaries, it really feels like they're leaving holes to fill with future unit releases. On one hand, this is more forethought than I expect from this kind of game and it hopefully means they're thinking about the meta longterm. On the other hand, this mode is still really janky. They have a lot of technical debt to work on, and I'm not confident that they'd fix enough of it before putting their full focus on adding more units to the gacha.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Looked into the Samuro/Xyrella comp and ... lol.
250 HP Corrupted Ancient died on turn 2.#
Trivializes most fights so far. Just brute force it.
I wonder how they will handle nerfs in Mercenaries, considering it has a not so thinly veiled P2W aspect. I don't think that "coin refunds" will cut it with the type of players who invest money to git gud in competitive PvP.

Also, tasks are dumb.
Just go to a lower level and cheese it. Heal enemies if you need.
Instant gratification is a thing in this game mode, so why bother with completing them organically?

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 15, 2021

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Lister posted:

Dear Somethingawful forums, I never thought it would happen to me....

So match making is broken. It is absolutely ripe for exploitation. I got to the top 100 of pvp by only playing bots with a 100% winrate. You can too. Here's the deal:

The bot system works to look for other players in queue using some algorithm that takes raw level, equipment (if equipped or not), equipment rank, and skill rank into consideration when matching. As you could imagine, balancing everything between those, coming up with a score, and then finding another person with a similar score is going to be tough. So blizzard matches you with a bot. This bot's team will mimic the exact same rank, lvl, equipment, etc of your team. The big thing here is that there is zero synergy of that AI team. As far as I can tell, it just picks random heroes. So if you can get two level 30 heroes, only rank up the abilities that synergize, and then fill out the rest of your team with level 1s, you're golden.

The team I used was Millhouse and Tyrande. Arcane explosion and arcane bolt are the ones to level along with arcane dust. For Tyrande, arcane salvo and elune's grace. I eventually coupled Cariel Roame with zero upgraded abilities, since even then, the taunt helps counter melee guys. Use arcane bolt turn one and salvo turn one. From there, use turn two to activate elune's grace and arcane bolt. It's random which will go first, but the hope is that elune's grace goes first and millhouse will use arcane bolt and pump the team's arcane damage up with two uses. If not, look at the board and decide if a double explosion is better or double single target damage. Even if one bolt will kill someone, the second bolt will attack the same target so you'll want to spread it out. It gets to the point where the extra damage is so compounded, and the aoe is so strong, that you roll everyone. A few times one of the main pair died but the filler heroes are still there to sub in and help out.

After your level one filler heroes get too high level for your taste, swap them out with fresh level ones. Remember that a key part of this is never spending coins to upgrade abilities for your filler team.

Enjoy your wins everyone.

Yep do this, and do it now.

1. You're never going to have access to more low level mercs than now.
2. They will presumably fix this at some point.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
My Nozdormu quest is bugged. It logged 1 game I played with him and none after. I haven't even been conceding...

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Zul'jin seems extremely busted but there aren't many Protector or Fighters who use Shadow damage to take advantage of him. He's gonna be really strong in the future as more heroes come out.

Yestermoment posted:

One of the better treasure combos i found was having dawnstar and Jaina, both having a "whenever an enemy is frozen, deal x damage to them" and dawnstar picking up ice shard. It was a slaughter.

Yeah I’ve been looking down on Dawnstar but they scale insanely well with Frost spell damage.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 15, 2021

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Strawberry Panda posted:

My Nozdormu quest is bugged. It logged 1 game I played with him and none after. I haven't even been conceding...

Were you playing ranked? That's the only way I've been able to progress quests since the patch Tuesday.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

fanny packrat posted:

Were you playing ranked? That's the only way I've been able to progress quests since the patch Tuesday.

Was playing Casual. But figured a workaround, which is that I had to concede instead of outright losing.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Samuro seems bad, what am I missing

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Samuro

Scenario 1:
deals 10 damage, doesn't attack twice unless someone can put speed his attack
= 10 total damage (takes damage too! Hitting a 10 attack hero means he takes 10))

Scenario 2:
Deals 10 damage, hits again for 15
= 25 total damage (takes twice as much, 20 damage)

Scenario 3:
Has burning blade
Deals 12, plus 18.
=30 total (takes 20).

Scenario 4:
Also Xyrella debuffs (11 damage, -9 attack and always hits before him)
Deals 12, plus 18.
=30+11 total (takes 2 damage, but gained 4 HP for a net+2)

That's a 71 crit against a blue, and a 52 crit against a red and every follow up turn is going to be even more damage as Sam's next hit starts at 20 damage base.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

gowb posted:

Samuro seems bad, what am I missing

Use him with Xyrella(or any Merc with a faster attack but Xyrella reduces the damage he takes too. Mannoroth actually works well too)

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

That doesn't even consider additional buffs like Windfury or tribal bonuses, be it from boons or other Mercenaries.

Or the hilarious OTK of getting Hysteria for Xyrella (or Selina) and casting it on a Samuro after he cast Whirling Blade (Deal 2 to all enemies, then become immune for the turn).

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 16, 2021

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Strawberry Panda posted:

fanny packrat posted:

Strawberry Panda posted:

Was playing Casual. But figured a workaround, which is that I had to concede instead of outright losing.

It was buggy for me too - except for me I had to lose outright instead of conceding below 15 hp. Also in casual.
Regular quests in casual work about 50% of the time it seems, as I had to play 5 or so to get credit for a play 3 quest.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Reminder that there are Twitch drops until the end of the weekend. Watch any Hearthstone stream for 2 Merc packs(2 hours each)

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Which would be really boring to watch, as when I glanced at Thijs or Kripp, they were just doing heroic air elemental over and over.

This is also one of the one where you have to claim the first pack to earn progress for the second one.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 16, 2021

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Lister posted:

Dear Somethingawful forums, I never thought it would happen to me....

So match making is broken. It is absolutely ripe for exploitation. I got to the top 100 of pvp by only playing bots with a 100% winrate. You can too. Here's the deal:

Enjoy your wins everyone.

I've been trying this out and it's a pretty great way to power level your lowbies. One win takes the four carries from 1 to 8, and five wins takes them up to 16. I'm using Cariel and Tyrande as my 30s because that's what I had on hand and one of the matchups was a little dicey just due to critical damage, but yeah the AI just throws random mercs against you so most games are a cakewalk.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Amoeba102 posted:

Which would be really boring to watch, as when I glanced at Thijs or Kripp, they were just doing heroic air elemental over and over.

This is also one of the one where you have to claim the first pack to earn progress for the second one.

Yeah that’s one of the problems with Mercenaries: It has lots of Grinding, and that isn’t fun to watch

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Amoeba102 posted:

Why Air Elemental?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

NorgLyle posted:

Why Air Elemental?

It’s for farming tasks from the mystery spot. Air Elemental is only 5 battles long so it’s really quick. If you get one without a mystery spot you just reset. Note that it’s specifically heroic Air Elemental

Also maybe anecdotally but the mystery spot seems to be a task more often than other bounties.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Ok, I'm gonna stop here now that almost my entire roster is at least 15-20. I leveled up Millhouse for the Tyrande combo the OP mentioned and basically stuck with those two plus Cariel the entire time, only facing two human opponents along the way.

Now to finish the story mode...

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's great how you can't even reroll tasks lol.

Strawberry Panda posted:

It didn't work for me, I eventually had it work in wild ranked with a non-golden Nozdormu.

RatHat posted:

It’s for farming tasks from the mystery spot. Air Elemental is only 5 battles long so it’s really quick. If you get one without a mystery spot you just reset. Note that it’s specifically heroic Air Elemental

Also maybe anecdotally but the mystery spot seems to be a task more often than other bounties.

Can that not appear in the previous one?

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 16, 2021

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Acerbatus posted:

It's great how you can't even reroll tasks lol.

It didn't work for me, I eventually had it work in wild ranked with a non-golden Nozdormu.

Can that not appear in the previous one?

If it can it’s much rarer

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Kalko posted:

Ok, I'm gonna stop here now that almost my entire roster is at least 15-20.

Well, now I feel stupid for leveling most of my mercs like some idiot gamer before the cheese strat was posted.

Gotta fill with 1-2 low level scrubs to stretch it out a bit to even get to 6000 the cheesy way. Or buy packs for more mercs. Lol. Nope.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 16, 2021

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, buying packs seems like the worst value proposition in the game by a wide margin. I dropped 8k gold on them and with today's PvP farming and my PvE progression up to Winterspring (with a bunch of repeated bounties) I've now got all but seven of the mercs. Now I just have to work out what to do with them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Maybe they should have had an intern take a quick peek at the skill names so they actually match... at least they both end in "Blade".

Quite the irony, considering the task name.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 17, 2021