Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

if class is boring, just add extra poo poo to the dumb program

like have the speed go on an accelleration curve (idk the term im buzzed its friday get off my back)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

hbag posted:

no that has THREE wheels
Also a Robin's natural state is flipped over

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Presto posted:

Also a Robin's natural state is flipped over

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Put some spaces around your operators and parameters you drat ape

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Armitag3 posted:

i usually do but im tired and cba

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
if you think school has you mad at java, just wait until you find out about work

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Work has things like auto-formatters, linters, continuous integration, staging and deployment, code reviews etc

poo poo, work has things like source control.

Do universities' vocational programmer training programs that they refer to as Computer Science classes teach students about the existence of source control yet? Like Subversion or some poo poo?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
work also has the spring framework, in which the control flow of your java programs is usurped by inscrutable @Annotations that perform magic which your instructors taught was impossible in the java language

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

he mentioned github in passing but thats all

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

DELETE CASCADE posted:

if you think school has you mad at java, just wait until you find out about work

^^^

but also if you arent already using version control get on that, itll put you ahead of p much everyone lol

i still need to find a good moment to tell my senior that he can ffw when pulling instead of making a merge that just creates confusing commits when theres no conflict (i think he uses github desktop? it seems extremely barebones)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Armitag3 posted:

BSD KNF > all other C-like styles

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Kazinsal posted:

BSD KNF > all other C-like styles

Maybe if for some reason my IDE didn't syntax highlight and use fancy colors. I don't know man, having to janitor and align the variable names and parameters? In tyol 2021?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

countdown until hbag fails an exam because the material was "too easy"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Achmed Jones posted:

been there loll

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
processing would be a great environment to learn basic programming, turtle graphics is what made me
learn programming.

don’t be a downer, you gotta start somewhere and do you really think it would be better if you started making forms for data entry??

but if you aren’t getting to draw fractals and labyrinths, implement game of life &c then the course is worthless

you literally will learn nothing useful at uni for the real world outside of how to do programming, what your assignments are isn’t really that relevant. you need to sit down and code because that’s how you learn

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

what you learn is mostly a basic framework or overview of how a thing works, but most importantly its which terms to google when you get a job

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Sapozhnik posted:

Work has things like auto-formatters, linters, continuous integration, staging and deployment, code reviews etc

poo poo, work has things like source control.

Do universities' vocational programmer training programs that they refer to as Computer Science classes teach students about the existence of source control yet? Like Subversion or some poo poo?

plutocrat school did most of a decade ago

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if youre not bein challenged just start takin upper undergrad classes and grad classes

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i graduated over a decade ago and almost all of my classes which involved writing code for homework required using svn. whatever was committed to your repo at the homework deadline was the thing that got graded. one class did literally have "did you run the auto-formatter?" as part of the homework grade. there were a few which automatically ran the test suite which you had to pass each time you committed something to svn.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if youre not bein challenged just start takin upper undergrad classes and grad classes

at non-plutocrat school they don't generally let you do this unless you can test out of the prereqs, or at least you have some good reason beyond "i want to". i took a grad class in undergrad but that's only bc the professor was my ugrad research advisor

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i never tried it in the CS program (just took the assigned path), but in my humanities program I took a bunch of grad-level humanities and social science courses. it was awesome

the CS and math courses were a lot more constrained on resources though - like some of them only majors could get in. obviously a random freshman or sophomore wouldn't be able to skip the line on stuff like that. but for other stuff, if there's an opening and you can do it :getin:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
going and askin profs for poo poo would also presumably get hilbo some practice at talkin to that kinda peep

god, by junior year of undergrad i think i had like 1 undergrad course per quarter. the foundation of my coffee addiction

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Plorkyeran posted:

i graduated over a decade ago and almost all of my classes which involved writing code for homework required using svn. whatever was committed to your repo at the homework deadline was the thing that got graded. one class did literally have "did you run the auto-formatter?" as part of the homework grade. there were a few which automatically ran the test suite which you had to pass each time you committed something to svn.

when i started comp sci in 03 i remember one of my class mates used subversion but it definitely wasnt curriculum

they did use svn when i started my first "real" job in i think 07. also i was in charge of converting repos to git, which was pretty lol in hindsight cause we still used them as svn repos, it was in name only. no branches, just force push to master if merging failed

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Plorkyeran posted:

that kicks rear end

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Achmed Jones posted:

hi

well assignment, not exam, and because I looked in the documentation for how to do a task instead of using one of the five things we'd learned in class so far

(I should've gone into the more advanced class)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pokeyman posted:

hi

well assignment, not exam, and because I looked in the documentation for how to do a task instead of using one of the five things we'd learned in class so far

(I should've gone into the more advanced class)

lmao my math teacher pulled that on me in 5th grade & i never did homework after that

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

DELETE CASCADE posted:

work also has the spring framework, in which the control flow of your java programs is usurped by inscrutable @Annotations that perform magic which your instructors taught was impossible in the java language

that should be treated correctly as forbidden black magic

also spring is loving garbage

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i failed an assignment in my data structures class bc i thought we had to implement a red/black tree and started on that implementation the night before it was due. it turned out we were just supposed to use a library for the data structure and to do some poo poo with polygons, oops

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

hbag posted:

seriously though look at this

this is the ENTIRE program (in processing) to draw that bike and make it go left to right across the screen
literally everything

Java code:
final color RED = color(255,0,0);
final color BLUE = color(0,0,255);

class Motorbike {
  int x = 5; // members
  int y;
  int speed=2;
  int size=30;
  color colour;

// methods, procedures an object of this class can perform
  void render() {
    float wheelHeight = size/3;
    fill(colour);
    triangle(x,y,x+size,y,x+size/2,y-size/2);
    drawWheel(x,y,wheelHeight);
    drawWheel(x+size,y,wheelHeight);
  }

void drawWheel(int x,int y,float size) {
    float inner = size*2/3;
    fill(0);
    ellipse(x,y,size,size);
    fill(255);
    ellipse(x,y,inner,inner);
  }

void move() {
    speed = (int)random(5.0); // random step [0..5]
    x+=speed;
  }
}

Motorbike redBike, blueBike;

void setup() {
  size(500,100);
  redBike = new Motorbike();
  redBike.y = 25;
  redBike.x = 15;
  redBike.colour = RED;
}

void draw() {
  background(125);
  redBike.render();
  redBike.move();
}

afaik, to turn that into a "real" java program, you do something like this

Java code:
import processing.core.PApplet;

public class ProcessingTest extends PApplet {

final color RED = color(255, 0, 0);
    final color BLUE = color(0, 0, 255);
    Motorbike redBike, blueBike;

public static void main(String... args) {
        PApplet.main("ProcessingTest");
    }

void setup() {
        size(500, 100);
        redBike = new Motorbike();
        redBike.y = 25;
        redBike.x = 15;
        redBike.colour = RED;
    }

void draw() {
        background(125);
        redBike.render();
        redBike.move();
    }

class Motorbike {
        int x = 5; // members
        int y;
        int speed = 2;
        int size = 30;
        color colour;

// methods, procedures an object of this class can perform
        void render() {
            float wheelHeight = size / 3;
            fill(colour);
            triangle(x, y, x + size, y, x + size / 2, y - size / 2);
            drawWheel(x, y, wheelHeight);
            drawWheel(x + size, y, wheelHeight);
        }

void drawWheel(int x, int y, float size) {
            float inner = size * 2 / 3;
            fill(0);
            ellipse(x, y, size, size);
            fill(255);
            ellipse(x, y, inner, inner);
        }

void move() {
            speed = (int) random(5.0); // random step [0..5]
            x += speed;
        }
    }
}
much better.

i have never used processing, that boilerplate was just something i found by googling. you also have to add the processing libraries to the classpath.

but if that is anywhere near correct, there is not a lot of meaningful magic happening at this level. unless for some reason you want to write the pixel drawing algorithms and event loop from scratch yourself.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Achmed Jones posted:

it turned out we were just supposed to use a library

the most important lesson

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Java...is good

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Wheany posted:

the most important lesson

in this house we reinvent the wheel!!! :bahgawd:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

PokeJoe posted:

Java...is blood

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

love 2 spend hours trying to work out why my implementation of the library example is not applying the correct ordering to the rendered graph only to find that the example contains a setting it doesn't actually need, but if applied to a dataset where it could actually be applied, conflicts with the ordering process and fucks the whole thing up completely

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

:hmmyes:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
p2h: dude it was nujob time for you like 6 months ago

are you lookin at least

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

p2h: dude it was nujob time for you like 6 months ago

are you lookin at least

lol that was a bad time for sure. then that stuff sort of faded away (or more accurately stopped being so much my problem) and I picked up some more interesting stuff and kind of .....forgot? like I basically don't remember a good chunk of this year, I put it down to remote working grind and babby two hander coming on the scene.

Don't worry though, we're about to sign a contract with a vendor who will be building templates for users and then sending us the raw data to process, so of course we can't see the data because none of it had been written but the PM has allocated 2 weeks for integration and said today "so you're writing the user acceptance tests correct?" so I'm sure that'll be just fine! (it will not be fine)

anyway that complaint above was me fiddling with a js library called setCola for generating layouts of directed graphs as a toy project. It's cool and works but like every js library I have ever used, has at least 3 features that have no documentation and lots of settings that aren't really explained.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

like every js library I have ever used, has at least 3 features that have no documentation and lots of settings that aren't really explained.

well yeah it's a dynamic language

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
just go read the code

It's usually just four garbage lines of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

DrPossum posted:

just go read the code

It's usually just four garbage lines of poo poo

did that, couldn't work it out and wouldn't have done either because the conflict was with a setting passed to a separate base library. in the end it was a classic "ok I'm just gonna comment out settings and see what happens" solution.

idk if anyone is still maintaining the thing but I might submit a request to change their readme to say 'dont combine these two things like the examples do!'