Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
At first I wondered if the name "Ghost" was a reference to how the thing could phase through solid rock/metal. After seeing whatever the hell that "Magma Reaper"(???) is doing the same thing, I realize that they're just bugged.

Cartoon Man posted:

You can pop out the Cyclops depth module, upgrade it, and pop it back in before anything catastrophic happens. Just make sure you deconstruct and rebuild the mod station on the Cyclops.

And yeah, you haven’t found the cool base area, keep exploring the lost river. Look for a blue area.

Oh, I did find the blue area on my run through with the Seamoth, but that led down. I entered this time the way I left previously, through the comfortably large tunnel.

Inferior Third Season posted:

When you got to the lava area with kyanite, you should have encountered large ore deposits of copper. They're all over the place down there. You do have a drill attachment for your prawn, right?

And you have a moonpool. I'm pretty sure you can remove the depth module from the prawn while it is docked in the moonpool to upgrade it without it taking damage.

I only went a little way into there on my first trip to get some Kyanite because the passage looked to descend beyond what was my maximum crush depth was at the time. I did find a deposit today when I ventured in. I ended up looping all the way back around, and passing area I discovered on my first foray. I'm going to need to bring more beacons to keep track of my direction.

I didn't worry about removing the depth module from the Prawn, it was only the Cyclops I was worried about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Future comedy heads up about Kyanite. It won't be enough to really stop you, but with the prawn drill depending on your RNG you might end up confused a few times wondering "Where the gently caress did it go?" because the Kyanite drill nodes are the only ones in the game that have a chance to drop ZERO through X instead of like, 6-8 minimum through X.

Which feels like an accident papered over with "No see we didn't want to make it too easy to find kyanite so we did a good job" duct tape, considering their upper range is still generous, and how you can manage to happen across kyanite just sitting there on the ground loose anyways. So at worst it confuses people into thinking they ran into a bug rather than "Working As Intended"™ , but still.

Granted it has been ages since I did a playthrough, so who knows maybe they finally changed that?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 15, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

:( I was just trying to add flavor to my post saying that I decided to expand one of my bases, and move half my stuff there, because I legitimately am concerned about those creepy radio messages. The spot I found is 780 meters from the pod in the direction two notches north of west, and it's a good spot, at the edge where three biomes meet, but sheltered by high cliffs and giant coral mushroom trees, making it hard to spot.

They made me paranoid enough that don't want to leave all my stuff in one location anymore, even though the gamer part of me is pretty sure nothing will actually happen to my base.

Anyway, aside from that, is there a way to grow my own Table Coral from samples?

fwiw worth, aside from was distance santa translates into, i got your shitck and thought it was cute

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Khanstant posted:

fwiw worth, aside from was distance santa translates into, i got your shitck and thought it was cute

Are you okay

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was referring to their previous post containing a roleplayed survivor's log detailing their current subnautica adventures.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Section Z posted:

Future comedy heads up about Kyanite. It won't be enough to really stop you, but with the prawn drill depending on your RNG you might end up confused a few times wondering "Where the gently caress did it go?" because the Kyanite drill nodes are the only ones in the game that have a chance to drop ZERO through X instead of like, 6-8 minimum through X.

Which feels like an accident papered over with "No see we didn't want to make it too easy to find kyanite so we did a good job" duct tape, considering their upper range is still generous, and how you can manage to happen across kyanite just sitting there on the ground loose anyways. So at worst it confuses people into thinking they ran into a bug rather than "Working As Intended"™ , but still.

Granted it has been ages since I did a playthrough, so who knows maybe they finally changed that?

I ran through it again before starting on BZ and it was still 0-2 per bit.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Had my cyclops down near the junction near the tree and tried to bring my prawn from the top of the lost river biome to the bottom of the lost river and 3/3 times it clipped through the floor of the canyon upon hitting the ground lol forcing me to reload my save.

figured I should do it "properly" and go pick up the prawn with the cyclops and bring it down that way instead.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Section Z posted:

It definitely hasn't changed. I'm thankful I learned about it beforehand, so I a) wasn't shocked when it happened and/or b) didn't assume I picked some up and went about my way, aaaaaall the way up to the surface, without as much kyanite that I assumed I had.

Count your kyanite, and go into drilling a node assuming you'll get 0.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I have always found more than enough Kyanite laying about that I havent drilled for it since my early plays.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Most use I’ve ever gotten out of the prawn drill arm is for the titanium and copper veins down in the river, when I’ve run out of either on the bottom with no other reason to go shallow right at that time.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The worst is getting all the way to your tree base deep in the lost river and you forgot to bring lubricant, mesh, silicone rubber, or battery mushrooms that are only available topside.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That's why I always plant those in an external planter as soon as I start a new base anywhere.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
battery mushrooms and the deep variants dont grow more though?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think they do if you slash them instead of plucking them

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Santa is north, cowboy is west, I think.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

star eater posted:

I think they do if you slash them instead of plucking them

Yeah, you get 3 planting spores/seeds if you slash them IIRC.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Okay, I stocked up and set out to plant a base in a peaceful area, so I could approach the lava zone without needing to go past two+ leviathans. I pre-fabricated a lot of the components I needed for advanced stuff, I set up a small temporary base midway between the Cyclops and the destination base to stash stuff. You don't need power if you don't intend to do anything with the base.

I christened the base DEEP BLUE and made a couple beacons to help me keep track of where the tunnels back to where I came from were, so I wouldn't get turned around. I also set up a second small supply cache to store cured fish and purified water in, so I wouldn't have to retreat back for more supplies.

Purely by coincidence, that supply cache was located right near a deep crater with a budding volcano at the bottom. I explored that area first, in case it was progress.

It was. I got a telepathic message from someone claiming to want to help me. Worth a shot. I found a tunnel leading off the bottom of the crater. I dropped my last beacon there and went back looking for more.

I must be getting close. Unfortunately I dropped my Stasis Rifle who knows where somewhere in my shuffling items between lockers. It might be faster to make a new one than look for where it is.

:negative:

Stymied by the curse of all explorers: a locked door. Where the hell is the BLUE key? Doesn't seem to be anywhere in the nearby caverns. I'm also at low health after doing some dumb things, so I have to leave and come back. Maybe I'll build some more rocket pieces.

Section Z posted:

Nope, it still drops nothing, fairly often. It didn't bother me that much since I got good rolls on my first two nodes which gave me enough to build the depth modules I needed, and I harvested a bit more in case I need more later.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Stymied by the curse of all explorers: a locked door. Where the hell is the BLUE key? Doesn't seem to be anywhere in the nearby caverns. I'm also at low health after doing some dumb things, so I have to leave and come back. Maybe I'll build some more rocket pieces.

The blue door is at the third Alien Facility down there.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Can I give you a hint concerning that though Stabby, make an extra Blue Key, you will need 2.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
how bad were the EA signposts for the power plant because it looks like Yet Another Player just sailed right past lol

I even read the lore dump for "there's BIG ENERGY in the CENTER OF THIS ROOM" and thought they were talking about the giant hole in the middle that went down to the lava

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Early on it got a waypoint. Now I think you just get a vague 'There's something there' comment by the AI.

quote:

Detecting alien materials and a local energy mass in the 1,000 megawatt range.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

OgNar posted:

Can I give you a hint concerning that though Stabby, make an extra Blue Key, you will need 2.

I need to find one first. There is possibly still stuff to explore in this region, it's cavernous and easy to get disoriented. My first time exploring, there was a room with a giant Leviathan in it and I noped out and hugged the right edge, which took me essentially in a big loop.

Now that I have two bases set up and self-sufficient, I think it's time for me to take the Cyclops back to the surface world, and return with one of my Seamoths, so that if I need to I can go to and from the surface much faster. (I had brought a second batch of Lubricant, so I was able to make a Moonpool at the Deep Blue base, about 890 meters deep. It required about 5 vertical connectors.)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 15, 2021

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

JawnV6 posted:

how bad were the EA signposts for the power plant because it looks like Yet Another Player just sailed right past lol

I even read the lore dump for "there's BIG ENERGY in the CENTER OF THIS ROOM" and thought they were talking about the giant hole in the middle that went down to the lava

the game spends literal hours conditioning you to look down and go down to find new things and then expects you to look up to see the marker for the tiny cave you need to enter

it's just unintuitive design

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Getting the Cyclops out of that isolated location was easier than getting it in was - maybe because it seemed to have more light.

Taerkar posted:

Early on it got a waypoint. Now I think you just get a vague 'There's something there' comment by the AI.

I'm not sure I found that AI comment. It reminded me of one I heard near the 500m depth Degasi habitat, but that was a different message, and I found the facility there. I continued exploring that area and ended up at the underground crossroad I had already found a couple of times.

...While exploring, I got a notification of a new radio transmission. Something about that filled me with dread, enough so that I set up a small isolated base in the middle of nowhere which only had a solar panel and a radio, just in case listening to the message triggered something at that location.

I did not understand any part of the message. I did not like the message. I did not like it one bit.

I cruised by my lifepod and it seemed fine, although I could have sworn that I heard some sounds from creatures that didn't match the local ones. I'm seriously considering a full evac of my remaining supplies.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Complications posted:

the game spends literal hours conditioning you to look down and go down to find new things and then expects you to look up to see the marker for the tiny cave you need to enter

Well it does also condition you to look for the alien cables and pylons, but there's a big distraction in the area that's keeping you from looking (and IIRC there's not much alien stuff in the area that's obvious until you more or less stumble across it)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
EDIT: Scratch that, I think I found it.

Yes, that was it. I hadn't found it before because (1) this is a pretty big frigging area, and (2), I was only just starting to explore this area when I found the crater.

Does the (Blue Key) Ion Cube Generator, described as a limitless supply of energy replenish if you mine it out? I mean, I would think so...

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 16, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Last night I tried hardcore yet again and shortly after continuing, died tonight from radiation that kind of snuck up on me (I wasn't paying attention to how fast it was killing me).

Normally, I'd put the game down for a while, but my starting pod location was the worst one I'd gotten in my ~6-ish overall starts. Too far back, near the rear end-ending of the Aurora. Definitely prefer something closer to the sandstone pillars.

I realize that the starting positions are relatively close by, but I mean.... I had nothing near me.

Also, are there any biomes on the other side of the Aurora, or just super friendly friends who need to hug?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Relatively fast sandy dropoff to a couple of hundred meters down, a bit of rockiness then the map's edge.

There's a playful little fellow in the shallows near the middle of the ship, right off the big sandbar.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Minor loot and hugs only on the far side of the Aurora.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

JawnV6 posted:

It keeps happening because there used to be Nav points, but they were removed at the behest of people proud they know the map at the back of their hand or loving to shout "Well I found it on my first try, therefore everyone else are stupid heads".

Also it can really depend on your luck of how distracted you are by giant sea monsters just happening to be swimming between the entrances and your cyclops/prawn. Which the game loved to do to me even when I knew exactly where to go.

Bascially-

Complications posted:

Taerkar posted:

Well it does also condition you to look for the alien cables and pylons, but there's a big distraction in the area that's keeping you from looking (and IIRC there's not much alien stuff in the area that's obvious until you more or less stumble across it)

These over and over, for the one place in the game You can't park your cyclops in direct view of an alien base on top throwing on yet another layer of being counter to the rest of the game's exploration logic.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 16, 2021

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
...OMG, I built my "fairly hidden base" within 200 meters of A gate destination from the Enzyme 42 facility and didn't know. I built my base there and I never explored the canyon. :doh:

And the AI message "Unusual behavior patterns detected in nearby predators" suggests to me that I'm about to be in deep trouble once I trigger a plot thing.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 16, 2021

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

(Big spoilers) Am I bugged? The game is saying "Left Click to insert hatching enzymes" but I can't seem to interact with it. I scanned some things. What else do I need to do?
Did you talk to the sea emperor leviathan again? She should give some plot exposition and the recipe for what you're looking for should be added to your PDA. If you've already talked to her, just go through your PDA looking for it. It's not put in there in a way that is super-obvious.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Section Z posted:

It keeps happening because there used to be Nav points, but they were removed at the behest of people proud they know the map at the back of their hand or loving to shout "Well I found it on my first try, therefore everyone else are stupid heads".

Also it can really depend on your luck of how distracted you are by giant sea monsters just happening to be swimming between the entrances and your cyclops/prawn. Which the game loved to do to me even when I knew exactly where to go.

Bascially-

These over and over, for the one place in the game You can't park your cyclops in direct view of an alien base on top throwing on yet another layer of being counter to the rest of the game's exploration logic.

I know where the drat place is and it can take me a bit to find it. Even using the Prawn suit and stomping around the area.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

...OMG, I built my "fairly hidden base" within 200 meters of A gate destination from the Enzyme 42 facility and didn't know. I built my base there and I never explored the canyon. :doh:

And the AI message "Unusual behavior patterns detected in nearby predators" suggests to me that I'm about to be in deep trouble once I trigger a plot thing.

I think that's just hinting that they're chill with you, if you're in the large containment structure

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I finished the game.

When I thought of what to put in the time capsule, I asked myself "what is something I'd really, really like that was a bit annoying to make for myself, but isn't too OP". So I put in 4 computer chips. More would be overkill, so I added 2 Magnetite in as well.

My message was "When THEY come for you, you'll want a safe, hidden fallback base. Here's a good spot." and I included a screenshot of my semi-hidden base.

Where do the time capsules land anyway? I wanted mine to go where my base was, but my rocket was launched from about the location of Lifepod 17.

Fall Dog posted:

I think that's just hinting that they're chill with you, if you're in the large containment structure

Well maybe, but I got that message just wandering around the main area, not at that part, so my first assumption was the hunters were closing in.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Out of like 10-15 plays, I found 2 capsules in one of them and 1 each in 2 others, its a pretty rare occurrence for me.

Glad to hear you finished.
I assume you enjoyed it over all.
That crown plant was always the hardest to find for me until I found out you can find it in a crevice in Big Mamas room.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

OgNar posted:

Out of like 10-15 plays, I found 2 capsules in one of them and 1 each in 2 others, its a pretty rare occurrence for me.

Glad to hear you finished.
I assume you enjoyed it over all.
That crown plant was always the hardest to find for me until I found out you can find it in a crevice in Big Mamas room.

It's like, the first place I looked. The 'go deeper' vibe was still strong late in the game so of course I instantly swam to the bottom of that area to check out the nook, before I even was able to know what I needed there.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
The time capsule at the top of the voting page is three years old, there’s quite a backlog.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Yeah, after a couple 10-20 minutes spent fruitlessly searching, I googled where to find that one. I decided not to go for the one in the tank and tried looking. I didn't find any in the obvious places suggested at and eventually needed to look it up again, and I finally found the part near Lifepod 12.

I only am missing one achievement. I thought I knew how to get it... I built an aquarium and hatched and egg someone left in a lifepod and it was a "Cuddlefish", but no achievement. Oh well. I've found like 5-6 time capsules, one of which was found at the sandbar on the far side of the Aurora, and it suggested that it was placed in that specific spot, so I don't know how one would determine how to place a capsule like that.

Honestly the mod which comes to mind the most is one which increases some of the material costs for some of the bigger-ticket items. Many of those feel like you should really need to scrounge up a LOT of titanium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

You have to release and play with it.