Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Intel Core i7-3770 @3.4GHz, 50ish megabit internet, it uh, seems unlikely to me that I don't have enough hardware to do video game audio playback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014
A guy fired a gun at me while I was idling and I responded with the heart and he gave me what seemed like a really angry series of thumbs down in response. Haven't played much of the game to make a judgment but that was good

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Flesh Forge posted:

Intel Core i7-3770 @3.4GHz, 50ish megabit internet, it uh, seems unlikely to me that I don't have enough hardware to do video game audio playback.

If you were on an xbox one, vs a Series S/X, it's a solid question. Load times on the older consoles are exceptionally terrible.

When nuclear winter was still around, you'd drop into the world a solid 30-45 seconds after those on Series systems. And the lag with npc speech was particularly bad in normal adventure mode.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

night slime posted:

A guy fired a gun at me while I was idling and I responded with the heart and he gave me what seemed like a really angry series of thumbs down in response. Haven't played much of the game to make a judgment but that was good

Did he drop you and item and you didn't notice it?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I did that for a level 8 last night. They randomly sent me a team invite, so I rolled with it, and they followed me around for an hour.

Couldn't think of anything to build for them that would be useful at level 8, so I made a .50cal hunting rifle and dropped it with 1000~ rounds for them to pick up. Then my game froze up while we were finishing Feed the People.

Kinda feel like I have a little obligation to help new people out after cranking up to level 299. I'm always dumping ammo into cigarette machines outside train stations, too. Not trying to carry a bunch of missiles and 40mm grenades I'm not going to use. Not paying for 1st for the unlimited stash box, so heavy ammo I don't want always goes in a cigarette machine.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Sensenmann posted:

Because Bethesda Austin can't code for poo poo.

Austin does server maintenance, post launch bug fixing and live event stuff. The story quests of Wastelanders and the Steel series have been a joint effort between Beth Maryland and Microsoft fixers.

Please remember that Bethesda never intended for 76 to have dialogue tree'd NPCs, much less actually tying them to quests.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Mr Hootington posted:

Did he drop you and item and you didn't notice it?

Technically an unanswerable question...but maybe you're right!

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

It's the servers. You can sit on a gigabit line and you would still suffer because some servers are legit poo poo. Just hop when it gets annoying, there is nothing you can do to fix it.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

night slime posted:

Some people do that when you happen to have a camp in what they think is their spot. Not sure why they don't just hop but I certainly won't.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Sensenmann posted:

Most of the dialog issues come from server lag.

:catstare:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sensenmann posted:

It's the servers. You can sit on a gigabit line and you would still suffer because some servers are legit poo poo. Just hop when it gets annoying, there is nothing you can do to fix it.

thanks, I wish I had known this up front but oh well.

same

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

night slime posted:

Technically an unanswerable question...but maybe you're right!

That is frequently how I act when the new player doesn't see the gift bag of decked out hunting rifle, ammo, water, and food

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm pretty sure I had this exact interaction last night actually
e: I was stuck in walk mode because I had hit the key (forward slash) and couldn't figure out how to turn it off because they remapped it from the original walk toggle, caps lock and all the google hits mentioned the old key map

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Having a super hard time liking this, the dialogue (even the non-interactive tapes) all has these huge weird aggravating pauses between every line and the walking around scavenging containers is also janky and slow. I have something like 2700 hours (!) in Fallout 4 so it's not that I have any problems with Bethesda or the setting. Heck it makes me want to start up F4 right now :emo:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Replaying FO4 made me want to start up F76 again, but that feeling was short-lived as I soon remembered the minute to minute gameplay.

It'd probably be a great game if they opened it up to modders, though!

night slime
May 14, 2014

Mr Hootington posted:

That is frequently how I act when the new player doesn't see the gift bag of decked out hunting rifle, ammo, water, and food

Yah I wasn't being sarcastic sorry. I just had a menu i[ and couldn't tell because I wandered away and freaked out as a newbie since I thought it was someone trying to kill me.

I killed three super mutants with a machete...I did constantly respawn next to them but they should revisit the lore

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

night slime posted:

Yah I wasn't being sarcastic sorry. I just had a menu i[ and couldn't tell because I wandered away and freaked out as a newbie since I thought it was someone trying to kill me.

I killed three super mutants with a machete...I did constantly respawn next to them but they should revisit the lore

That is a fair reaction. There has been a lot of new players lately and since they have zero map knowledge I like to fast travel nearby and wander through the area they are in waving and giving a small not game breaking gift.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

Having a super hard time liking this, the dialogue (even the non-interactive tapes) all has these huge weird aggravating pauses between every line and the walking around scavenging containers is also janky and slow. I have something like 2700 hours (!) in Fallout 4 so it's not that I have any problems with Bethesda or the setting. Heck it makes me want to start up F4 right now :emo:

I dont understand the container delay. Some days there is none and other days perks will not trigger due to delay. It is one of the baffling "bugs" I run into.

I watched a video of the QoL changes on the test server and they are very nice. The mothman event looks good. The delayed zeta event is found in the pts files and it sounds great. Some of the upcoming cosmetics look fun too.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Mr Hootington posted:

That is a fair reaction. There has been a lot of new players lately and since they have zero map knowledge I like to fast travel nearby and wander through the area they are in waving and giving a small not game breaking gift.

lol I didn't realize they weren't supposed to be gamebreaking.

I had a couple hundred stimpaks in my stash yesterday so I gave a 150 to a level 12 player I found on the map. Now I have space for more three star Gauss guns :madmax:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Another Bill posted:

lol I didn't realize they weren't supposed to be gamebreaking.

I had a couple hundred stimpaks in my stash yesterday so I gave a 150 to a level 12 player I found on the map. Now I have space for more three star Gauss guns :madmax:

That new player is still walking to a vendor. Rip

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mr Hootington posted:

I dont understand the container delay. Some days there is none and other days perks will not trigger due to delay. It is one of the baffling "bugs" I run into.

I watched a video of the QoL changes on the test server and they are very nice. The mothman event looks good. The delayed zeta event is found in the pts files and it sounds great. Some of the upcoming cosmetics look fun too.

I suspect the reason for the delay is the server queuing your history to make sure it's not within the last... 200? containers you opened.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Taerkar posted:

I suspect the reason for the delay is the server queuing your history to make sure it's not within the last... 200? containers you opened.

Containers, like world items with a fixed spawn point (Asylum dresses, for example), reset after 24 hours or after you've picked up 255 random items.

So when you open a container the server checks if you've opened it within the last 24 hours, if you've taken an item out of it and how many items you've picked up in general.

Container lag, much like any lag that happens when you open a menu (trade/dialog/inventory/social) has several reasons.

1) The world has one or more active nuke zones. All the corpses that turn into meat/ash/goo piles increase the object count. 3 nuke zones at FSP aren't remotely as bad as 3 nukes zones at 3 different locations.

2) Meat Week is on. The 15 minute spawn timer puts severe strain on the server the longer it's up and running.

3) Someone is running a silo and has started launch prep. At that point the game prepares the map for potential nuke zones and preloads the assets required for the visual changes. The nuke blast you see covers the asset switch up and once that's happened, the server starts to recover.

The main issue, however, is that Bethesda still hasn't fixed that bug where corpse inventories drop to the ground once the meat/ash/goo piles despawn and exist as actual world items you can see and pick up. This is especially noticable during Meat Week where the event areas are littered with all the poo poo the mobs dropped. Or after Scorched Earth.

If you've ever went to Drop Site V9, West-Tek or other popular places and found plans, weapons, bones and other poo poo just lying on the ground, that's the bug.

All those extra items put a lot of strain on the server since it keeps track of everything. It's weird how they still haven't fixed that bug but I suspect that fixing it might break the spawns again so they might not want to touch it any time soon.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
ITV

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/45IYwISjPzExLMvJkFuHZC/fallout-76-inside-the-vault-spooky-scorched-trick-or-treating-bombs-drop-and

Unlike every other event of the asset swap variety, there will be no way to craft the Spooky Treat bags so unless Beth changes this there is no need to keep hoarding caps.

The reward plans are the ones from the, sadly, killed off Mischief Night event so if you never got to play this, here is your chance to get the plans.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Sensenmann posted:

ITV

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/45IYwISjPzExLMvJkFuHZC/fallout-76-inside-the-vault-spooky-scorched-trick-or-treating-bombs-drop-and

Unlike every other event of the asset swap variety, there will be no way to craft the Spooky Treat bags so unless Beth changes this there is no need to keep hoarding caps.

The reward plans are the ones from the, sadly, killed off Mischief Night event so if you never got to play this, here is your chance to get the plans.

The trick or treat limited time event sounds great, visiting other peoples camps is one of my favorite things to do in 76. The 1 candy/hr limit should be applied to the punch bowl as well.

I haven't played during bomb drop day before, but is there anything else to it than a $ sale on atoms?

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Psychedelicatessen posted:

The trick or treat limited time event sounds great, visiting other peoples camps is one of my favorite things to do in 76. The 1 candy/hr limit should be applied to the punch bowl as well.

I haven't played during bomb drop day before, but is there anything else to it than a $ sale on atoms?

Double scrip and Mumbles peddles you her poo poo for 50% off. Excluding Modules and Steel, of course, because that's the only thing people actually want and we can't have that being on sale.

For reference, last year we had double XP and Double Score to celebrate and even that was a huge let down because people expected something a lot more interesting. Nukes being put on auto launch every 60 minutes was among the speculation list. Didn't happen. So this year people will likely not log at all since this is just boring and dumb.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 17, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I didn't realize you don't get more legendary perk slots past level 300. Kinda bummed a little by that. Guess I could go back to working on collecting my 7600 wood.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Level 17. Found a pink and white striped skirt with matching bobby socks and oxford saddle shoes. Game has my grudging approval.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Oct 19, 2021

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Patch notes. Couldn't find it on the Beth site so this is a direct dump of the Reddit post.

Halloween is descending on Appalachia with our latest update for Fallout 76, which arrives today. Scare up some fun over the next two weeks by hunting down Spooky Scorched, trick-or-treating at others’ C.A.M.P.s, and by giving out candy from your own home. Read on to catch all the details.

Update Highlights

Spooky Scorched: Some of the Scorched are celebrating the Halloween season by dressing in costume and dropping special loot!

Pass Out Candy from your Haunted House: Claim a free Spooky Candy Bowl from the Atomic Shop, place it in your C.A.M.P., and fill it with Mystery Candy for trick-or-treaters to complete Challenges and earn rewards.

Trick-or-Treat Around Appalachia: Step into your favorite costume and collect Mystery Candy from other players’ C.A.M.P.s to receive additional Challenge rewards.

Update Version 1.6.1.18
Check the download sizes below for today’s patch on your platform of choice:

PC (Bethesda.net): 2.3 GB

PC (Microsoft Store): 2.2 GB

PC (Steam): 9.3 GB

PlayStation: 9.2 GB

Xbox: 8.8 GB

Spooky Scorched Are on the Prowl
Halloween is almost here, and some of the Scorched are getting into the spirit of the season by dressing in their most festive costumes as they creep around Appalachia! From now until November 2, whenever you spot “Spooky Scorched” during your adventures, or hear their spine-chilling holiday sounds, it’s time to go on the hunt.

Spooky Scorched will spawn as 1, 2, or 3-star legendaries, which means you’ll receive a legendary item every time you take one down.

You’ll also receive a Spooky Treat Bag, which you can open to get some goodies like consumables, ammo, and a chance at some Halloween themed Plans.

Finally, you’ll receive a piece of Mystery Candy that you can eat to receive one of five random buffs, which may include stat boosts, or even Nukashine-like effects.

TIP: While it can be tempting to devour all your Mystery Candy right away, you may want to hold on to a few pieces so that you can take part in our Trick-or-Treating event this year (more on that below).

Please also note that, like the Holiday Scorched, Spooky Scorched will not spawn inside of interiors.

Trick or Treat!
The Scorched won’t be the only ones haunting the Wasteland this Halloween! From now until November 2, you can dress up in costume to go trick-or-treating around Appalachia with your friends, and even give out candy to trick-or-treaters who visit your home. Along the way, you’ll be able to complete new trick-or-treating Challenges to earn rewards.

Pass Out Candy to Trick-or-Treaters
Visit the Atomic Shop to claim a free Spooky Candy Bowl before November 2, build it in your C.A.M.P., and fill it with Mystery Candy for trick-or-treaters to enjoy.

Get your hands on Mystery Candy by looting Spooky Scorched, or buying some with Caps from train station vendors around Appalachia.

TIP: Place your Spooky Candy Bowl in an obvious spot in your C.A.M.P. where trick-or-treaters can easily find it.

Please also note that Spooky Candy Bowls cannot be placed inside Shelters.

Your C.A.M.P. will display a pumpkin icon on the Map once you’ve added Mystery Candy to your Spooky Candy Bowl, which will let other Dwellers know they are welcome to stop by for a treat.

If your candy bowl is empty, the pumpkin icon will stop appearing for your C.A.M.P. until you refill it.

Each trick-or-treater can only take one piece of candy per hour from your candy bowl, so there’s no need to worry about anyone swiping more than their fair share.

Over the next two weeks, you will receive Daily and Weekly Challenges to give out candy, which you can complete to earn rewards!

Daily Challenges will grant you one of several possible rewards, like a consumable item, Perk Card Pack, Lunchbox, Repair Kit, or some S.C.O.R.E.

Weekly Challenges to give candy to trick-or-treaters can award S.C.O.R.E., rare crafting materials, or even Halloween costumes. Complete both Weekly Challenges and you’ll also receive a new Popcorn Machine for your C.A.M.P.!

Go On the Hunt for Candy!
Dust off your favorite costume, grab a few friends, and leave space in your pack for plenty of candy, because it’s time to trick or treat your way around the Wasteland!

Open the Map to spot C.A.M.P.s that have a pumpkin icon, which indicates that the owner currently has a Spooky Candy Bowl stocked up with Mystery Candy.

Each day until November 2, you will receive a new Daily Challenge to trick or treat at other Dwellers’ C.A.M.P.s.

Like the Daily Challenges to give out candy, completing each trick-or-treating Daily will net you one of several rewards, including consumables, a Perk Card Pack, Lunchbox, Repair Kit, or some S.C.O.R.E.

Make sure you’re wearing a costume when you take Mystery Candy from someone else’s Spooky Candy Bowl to ensure you’ll receive Challenge credit.

There are many different costume options available in-game, such as those you can find during your adventures, a variety of Unstoppables-themed rank-up rewards from the Season 6 Scoreboard, as well as costumes you can purchase in the Atomic Shop.

Bug Fixes & Additional Improvements
Art
Apparel: Fixed an issue that could partially obstruct the screen in first-person view while wearing the American Patriot Suit.

Apparel: Equipping the King Grognak Outfit while wearing the Grognak Sidekick Underarmor no longer turns the player’s hands invisible.

Headwear: The Mothman Gas Mask no longer clips into female characters’ faces.

Junk: Fuel Tanks now correctly display preview images when viewed or inspected in the inventory.

Power Armor: Reduced the amount of screen space taken up by the Park Ranger Power Armor’s forearms when wielding heavy weapons in first-person view, so that it is consistent with other Power Armors.

Power Armor: Park Ranger Power Armor pieces now have proper interior textures when inspected in the inventory.

Weapons: The Grelok Sorcerer Staff and Stanley Skins now correctly appear when applied to Grognak’s Axe.

Weapons: Improved the idle animation for the Grognak’s Other Axe Skin while in first-person view.

Weapons: Shortened the rebar on the Death’s Breath Flamer Skin to reduce the amount of screen space it takes up when playing in first-person view.

Weapons: The correct reload animation now plays when reloading a Gatling Gun that has an Extra Large Magazine Mod while wearing Power Armor.

C.A.M.P.s & Workshops
Collectron Station: Moving a Collectron Station in C.A.M.P. before looting items it contained no longer prevents those items from appearing in the Station’s transfer menu.

Displays: Corrected the placement of Grognak’s Other Axe when displayed in High-Powered and Magnetic Weapon Racks.

Mobile Home Trailer: Players can no longer build multiple Mobile Home Doors in the same Mobile Home Trailer’s doorway.

Stairs: Snapping two Haunted House Stairs to each other no longer prevents players from walking up both sets of stairs.

Survival Tent: The Scrap Box in the Abandoned Shack Survival Tent now correctly faces the player.

Daily Ops
Double Mutations: 2x currency rewards no longer appear halved in the Operation Report after completing a Double Mutation Daily Op.

Events & Quests
Missing Persons: The “Find clues to where the Raiders are” objective now correctly progresses after opening the doors leading to the top floor of AMS Headquarters.

Missing Persons: Marcia no longer occasionally disappears during combat.

Items
Backpacks: The Hazmat Meat Cooler Backpack now appears centered on the player’s back.

Crafting: Fixed an issue on PC that could cause players to craft lower-level items than intended.

Explosive Bait: Fixed an issue that caused players to take damage from Explosive Bait when they were not currently engaged in PVP combat with the player who threw it.

Headwear: Fixed an issue that prevented Communist Commander Hats from appearing in players’ inventories.

Legendary Armor: Auto-Stim Legendary Armor no longer automatically uses Stimpaks if a highly-radiated player’s available health is full.

Legendary Crafting: Progress will now be saved after crafting a legendary item at a Workbench.

Ranged Weapons: Laser Rifles with an attached Sniper Barrel Mod now fire correctly in third-person view while wearing Power Armor.

Unarmed Melee Weapons: Crafting a legendary “Face Breaker” Power Fist now correctly requires 2 Legendary Modules. The ability to craft this item has been re-enabled at Weapons Workbenches.

Underarmor: Players can now apply Casual Mods to all Season 6 Sidekick Underarmors.

Localization
Events: The Monster Mash event’s map description, quest description, and quest tracker are now correctly translated in non-English game clients.

Quests: Meg’s voice lines during the “Siding with Crater” quest are now correctly translated in the Japanese game client.

Performance & Stability
Client Stability: Addressed an issue that could cause the PlayStation client to crash after placing a Junkyard Fountain in C.A.M.P.

Client Stability: Fixed a crash that could occur when repeatedly switching tabs in the Pip-Boy.

Performance: Fixed an issue in which the crafting menu could take a long time to open under certain conditions.

Sound
Main Menu: Updated the Main Menu music for PlayStation and Xbox versions of the game so that it is consistent with other platforms.

User Interface
Atomic Shop: Corrected an issue that prevented some emotes from playing their icon animations when selected in the Atomic Shop.

Atomic Shop: Inspecting certain Emotes and Player Icons in the Atomic Shop no longer causes item descriptions to disappear from the Shop’s menus.

Pip-Boy: Opening a Holotape in the Pip-Boy and then switching to or from Quick-Boy view no longer causes the Pip-Boy UI to overlap the Holotape’s content.

World
Collision: Addressed a number of objects throughout Appalachia that players could partially clip into or walk through.

Pathing: Addressed a number of locations throughout Appalachia where players or creatures could become stuck.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 19, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Holy poo poo, they claimed to have fixed the explosive bait glitch.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

God drat it. It is mole miner treasure hunter. Those things never spawn.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Highest spawn chances are

Morgantown Airport
Helvetia
White Powder Winter Sports
Pleasant Valley Ski Resort
Mosstown
Fissure Sites (make sure to "mine" the ultracite veins)
Camden Park
Tyler County Fairgrounds
Wavy Willards Water Park

Probably forgot some but I had a lot of luck with those during the XMas scorched thing and I don't thing that's been changed.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Unlike mole miners, these fuckers act like holiday scorched and can replace normal scorched spawns. Line in the sand, collision course and all the cranberry bog event have a ton of spooky scorched spawns.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
edit: wrong thread, whoops

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Mr Hootington posted:

God drat it. It is mole miner treasure hunter. Those things never spawn.

I found 9 of the spooky scorched over 2 hours. They're around, but not as much as I hoped.

The candy poo poo: running into lots of empty candy bowls in bases with the pumpkin icon up, so that's not working right.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I found 9 of the spooky scorched over 2 hours. They're around, but not as much as I hoped.

The candy poo poo: running into lots of empty candy bowls in bases with the pumpkin icon up, so that's not working right.

I found 25 over 3 hours. Just go to any location where scorched spawn. I had 4 random spawns too.

I believe I have all the plans and am only missing 1 rare costume. Not a bad event overall.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I wasn't explicitly hunting them down, I did daily ops and punched through the rest of the dailies, knocked out a few weekly. I jumped on for another hour and found 6 more spookies.

I'll probably have the season finished by the end of the week, hit 95 today.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That's currently being investigated and I assume it gets hotfixed soon.

Also, here is a map with all possible Scorched spawn locations.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

I get that the empty candy bowls are frustrating, but I'm loving this event. Touring everybody's Halloween decorated CAMP is fun. I'd like to see more events that encourage CAMP visitors.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Empty candy bowls are a mild nuisance, I usually hit every camp with a vendor up in search of plans, free .38 ammo, and stable cobalt flux for my ultracite .45 stockpile.

Took an hour to find my first spooky scorched today, while purposefully hunting them. Killed probably 100 scorched before I found my first spooky, then I found 5 in the same place maybe 10 minutes later. The spread on them is not ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Nobody will visit my CAMP. 😡