Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kesper North posted:

Absolutely she has yes. She genetically engineered The Dog:

Ohhhhh yeah :haw:

Also thanks for all the non-hardcore-trekkie LD feedback, that's super useful and makes me feel better about introducing someone to the series :)

e: For page 666 let's get this cameo into Season 3!

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Grumbles posted:

With Cetacean Ops scratched off the list, what other silly apocrypha is on people's Lower Decks wishlist?

Bathroom on the Ent-D

Deck 78

Earth conquered Vulcan

Perfect duplicate Earth

Bigger Kiim

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Something that works in classic holodeck references would be fun. Moriarty?
Or a Robert Picardo EMH cameo.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Nullsmack posted:

Something that works in classic holodeck references would be fun. Moriarty?
Or a Robert Picardo EMH cameo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RuLhwVtrUY

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Brawnfire posted:

I like to imagine each Starfleet vessel is built around a whale

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

The Grumbles posted:

With Cetacean Ops scratched off the list, what other silly apocrypha is on people's Lower Decks wishlist?

If Micheal Dorn ever cameos, I wanna see a family home holo-tape of Worf's bar mitzvah

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

"Why does God need a starship?"

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Barry Foster posted:

Basically she likes and respects what she's seen of TNG, but it's maybe a bit too stuffy for her. So LDS is perfect for her.

She likes the best part of TNG and though the stuffiness was there, for the time, it felt very right, I can't express it, but for other shows on and the general attitude, that militarism was very much in our culture.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nullsmack posted:

Hold up, what media did the fusion-driven warp bit come from?

Sorry, missed this earlier.

Not sure if it's ever been started in dialogue, but (aside from being said in tech manuals), just off the top of my head, the type six shuttle and a few other small/old ships are shown in close-up diagrams onscreen as being fusion-driven, we've been told by producers the Phoenix was fusion-driven, and it's the current interpretation of "their power is simple impulse" for the Romulan warbird in TOS: that they had impulse reactor driven warp engines. There are probably other bits I'm forgetting though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 15, 2021

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MadScientistWorking posted:

Was that a Star Fleet Battles reference or diddolphins appear in Star Trek in other places?

Between Cetacean Ops and the close-up on the RCS thruster quad, and various other background bits, the show has an extremely strong "yes people working here have read the TNG tech manual, multiple times" vibe.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Between Cetacean Ops and the close-up on the RCS thruster quad, and various other background bits, the show has an extremely strong "yes people working here have read the TNG tech manual, multiple times" vibe.

https://twitter.com/BradinLA/status/1448885336621268993?t=-aPWpPml_A0tZLwD8vQreQ&s=19

While we're on Twitter

https://twitter.com/MikeOkuda/status/1449010676307935236?t=qMQy89sSupbquVkVHxBQNw&s=19

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 15, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wee Bairns posted:

Of all the races they could chose to portray as a legitimate threat, the showrunners chose the Pakleds. And they've not only made it work, but have made it work well. I love that.

Given how scared paramount is of mentioning anything in the post-DS9 era, it was probably the only species they were allowed to use. But they did a great job with em either way.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Martytoof posted:

Ohhhhh yeah :haw:

Also thanks for all the non-hardcore-trekkie LD feedback, that's super useful and makes me feel better about introducing someone to the series :)

e: For page 666 let's get this cameo into Season 3!

Lower Decks crew sets her up on a blind date with Armus as a joke

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

https://shop.startrek.com/collections/mugs/products/star-trek-lower-decks-mugato-land-white-mug

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ahhh tempted by the t-shirt, haha

It's just the right level of nerdy. To a normal person it's just cute

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
drat, a Ritos shirt is 28bux Canadian.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I am now $44CDN poorer after taxes and shipping.

But I'm richer in RITOS STRONG

And also if I didn't I'd be a hypocrite:

Martytoof posted:

Also, 100% serious, I want a RITOS shirt

GenSpecific
Aug 17, 2005
IT'S IDEAS LIKE THIS THAT GET PEOPLE KILLED!!!!

Slippery Tilde

Martytoof posted:

Yeah I am now $44CDN poorer after taxes and shipping.

But I'm richer in RITOS STRONG

And also if I didn't I'd be a hypocrite:

I also bought one. It's a good shirt, just the perfect amount of nerdy.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The Grumbles posted:

data's penis

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
God those Belugas were amazing. I'm going to get that shirt, gently caress it.

Genuinely sad it's a while before a new season but at least the Orville (which I think hits the same beats) is back in March.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Spock's Brain lets them do the classic comedy trope of swapping bodies but not being able to let anyone know it happened for some reason.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

I’m glad these two made up. Or at least Mariner decided not to be a dick to her anymore lol.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
This show is really good.

I'm a bit worried about Manchurian candidate Rutherford because that seems like the sort of thing that is at risk of becoming dark and gritty nu-trek.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I'm a bit worried about Manchurian candidate Rutherford because that seems like the sort of thing that is at risk of becoming dark and gritty nu-trek.

Maybe. But (and here's something I can't say for any other current Trek)... I trust the showrunners not to screw this up.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

This show is really good.

After these two seasons, they have my trust.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I just noticed how much Eugene Cordero keeps popping up in stuff I like. He's in Loki and main cast in Lower Decks, and I always loved him showing up in The Good Place. We just watched the Tacoma FD pilot and while it's not great, it's got more Eugene and two of the Super Troopers cast being essentially that but firemen. Someone get this guy on Doom Patrol, he'd be an amazing C-list DC hero/villain for that show.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Thank you! I just saw an interview with him about LDS and I was like I know I've seen this guy recently! Three seconds on IMDB woulda told me this but I preferred to wait an indefinite amount of time for your post I had no way of knowing about

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Professor Beetus posted:

I just noticed how much Eugene Cordero keeps popping up in stuff I like. He's in Loki and main cast in Lower Decks, and I always loved him showing up in The Good Place. We just watched the Tacoma FD pilot and while it's not great, it's got more Eugene and two of the Super Troopers cast being essentially that but firemen. Someone get this guy on Doom Patrol, he'd be an amazing C-list DC hero/villain for that show.

DC supervillain "Pill Boy"

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

MikeJF posted:

Sorry, missed this earlier.

Not sure if it's ever been started in dialogue, but (aside from being said in tech manuals), just off the top of my head, the type six shuttle and a few other small/old ships are shown in close-up diagrams onscreen as being fusion-driven, we've been told by producers the Phoenix was fusion-driven, and it's the current interpretation of "their power is simple impulse" for the Romulan warbird in TOS: that they had impulse reactor driven warp engines. There are probably other bits I'm forgetting though.

Huh, I never noticed that on the diagrams. I bet it's in the TNG tech manual too. I thought Matter-Antimatter was required to go to warp at all.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nullsmack posted:

Huh, I never noticed that on the diagrams. I bet it's in the TNG tech manual too. I thought Matter-Antimatter was required to go to warp at all.

Well the romulans used a trapped singularity somehow

It really just needs LOTS OF POWER and m/am is one portable source of that. Voyager had those ring gates that pushed things at warp and Sisko SAILED at warp

Probably someone someplace uses Omega particles or Q-nuts to warp

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also glad all you natal millenials now get a taste of what this was like irl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7KFfbjg3Iw&t=38s

Michael Pillar (PBUH) wrote that ep thinking he wouldn't be back for s4 and the resolution was not gonna be his problem. It was.

https://twitter.com/CoughlinStephen/status/1449121069399429121

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 15, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Bloop posted:

Well the romulans used a trapped singularity somehow

It really just needs LOTS OF POWER and m/am is one portable source of that. Voyager had those ring gates that pushed things at warp and Sisko SAILED at warp

Probably someone someplace uses Omega particles or Q-nuts to warp

Yeah all the actual going to warp stuff is in the nacelles I think. The core is just an antimatter reactor to make the power for it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

That Cetacean Ops scene does suggest that the Cali class really is pretty big, I thought

Apparently according to Word of God its designer, it's an Ambassador-class saucer that's had tugboat engines attached. But with oversized windows I guess. Maybe that's why the S2 model made the windows smaller.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Those were some horny belugas. They really have ‘gay couple who saw you across the bar and like your vibe’ vibes.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I loved the finale.

Thirsty dolphin officers? Nice. Secret almost-erased memory that will be a whole thing next season? Nicer. Near death experiences used as a callback to AKA (a. k. a. Almighty Koala Ascension)? Nicest.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

In case anyone missed it, because it took me a second pass to pick up on it, but the joke with Tendi and Rutherford in the Jefferies Tube admitting to each other that they love the ship being a tease to people who ship them was excellent. "I know you're not supposed to get attached to your ship, but how can you not?"

Still, that scene later where Rutherford was anxious about deleting his backup copies of his memories of Tendi feels like they're keeping that ball in the air, in case anyone felt cheated.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Dolash posted:

In case anyone missed it, because it took me a second pass to pick up on it, but the joke with Tendi and Rutherford in the Jefferies Tube admitting to each other that they love the ship being a tease to people who ship them was excellent. "I know you're not supposed to get attached to your ship, but how can you not?"

Very real chance that whatever remains of the fan community on Tumblr that didn't bail at the last buyout is currently embroiled in a bitter ship war thanks to all the Mariner/Jennifer stuff in this episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I'm happy with the finale for T'Ana purring, but the rest was great too.