Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
getting killed by a cassowary is a very honourable death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Triskelli posted:

How to Invent Everything routinely brought up giant wombats as an ideal candidate for domestication and companionship

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

While I was looking up stuff for the "Weird/ugly prehistoric creatures" thread in PYF I saw that there used to be massive prehistoric capybaras, some of them weighing as much as a ton:

Some of the artistic recreations are positively gruesome:

..... while others are rather delightful :3:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr. Nice! posted:

One killed a dude in Florida just a couple of years ago.

It's the only recorded case in over 80 years and the victim was over 70 years old.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I would love to see a world where giant sloths get domesticated just to save them from extinction, but I'm not sure they'd be much good for anything you'd want a domesticated animal for. Like they were probably way more active than current-day tree sloths, but still probably not great for hauling loads or pulling stuff or riding.

And there's no real way to know what they would've tasted like, but apparently current tree sloths aren't good eatin'.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

If I die by a bird I’d be so embarrassed that I would prefer it be reported I died from an impacted bowel movement.

loving oversized general tsao chicken platter.

What's so embarrassing about being killed by a dinosaur?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The dinosaur could get you when you're hiding in the toilet.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

sullat posted:

What's so embarrassing about being killed by a dinosaur?

More people die in a year by eating spoiled bird meat than ever by birds themselves.

Dinosaurs just ain’t what they use to be.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

The dinosaur could get you when you're hiding in the toilet.

Clever girl.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dinosaurs are trash. They couldn't even win a fight against a rock.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Dinosaurs are trash. They couldn't even win a fight against a rock.

It was a big rock!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Dinosaurs are trash scissors. They couldn't even win a fight against a rock.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Rock status: obliterated by the earth into worthless fragments of dust, literally does not exist anymore except as residue in a giant hole

Dinosaur status: live everywhere in feather coats

Wrap it up rockailures

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Crab Dad posted:

If I die by a bird I’d be so embarrassed that I would prefer it be reported I died from an impacted bowel movement.

loving oversized general tsao chicken platter.

Emubarrassed.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Triskelli posted:

How to Invent Everything routinely brought up giant wombats as an ideal candidate for domestication and companionship

I neither want to pick up this things poop or have neighbours who refuse to do so

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I neither want to pick up this things poop or have neighbours who refuse to do so

They poop square poops. You can stack them.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

ughhhh posted:

They poop square poops. You can stack them.

Probably not, common wombats poop cubes but the other species don't. We don't have anything to suggest diprotodon would have pooped in cubes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It would be cool to have a pet bricklayer

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

It would be cool to have a pet bricklayer

Your spouse gets a great deal on building your new family home, then you visit the finished product. "Honey, the bricks... it's... it's all poop"

OTOH perhaps this alt timeline means millenials are free from the rent economy, and find the literal brick shithouses the better choice.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Your spouse gets a great deal on building your new family home, then you visit the finished product. "Honey, the bricks... it's... it's all poop"

OTOH perhaps this alt timeline means millenials are free from the rent economy, and find the literal brick shithouses the better choice.

It's a poo poo-brick house, not a brick poo poo-house. :colbert:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Zopotantor posted:

It's a poo poo-brick house, not a brick poo poo-house. :colbert:

🎶poo poo a brick house🎶

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

How did the sandals worn by Roman soldiers in say the reign of Augustus differ from those worn by ordinary citizens?

Was there a "standard" style of footwear for the average inhabitant of Rome?

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
I don't have any personal knowledge of the subject, but a quick jaunt through jstor brought up a neat overview:
https://sci-hub.se/https://www.jstor.org/stable/43044126

edit: more perusing found a more complete look
https://scholarlypublications.universiteitleiden.nl/access/item%3A2868189/view

shirunei fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 12, 2021

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

PeterCat posted:

How did the sandals worn by Roman soldiers in say the reign of Augustus differ from those worn by ordinary citizens?

Was there a "standard" style of footwear for the average inhabitant of Rome?

In Diocletian's edict on prices, he mentions caligae footwear for civilians that is largely similar but does not include hobnails (the iron cleats that were signature parts of the Roman military boot).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edict_on_Maximum_Prices

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caligae

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

One of the main forms of attack was ramming into the side of the ship. Xerxes lost a bunch to a storm prior to Salamis. Thucydides explicitly mentions them sinking e.g. in the defeat of the Athenian fleet at Syracuse. Triremes sank.

Horseback riding is not like riding in a car, it's still exercise.

Regardless, we see both marching and sleeping in armour in the late middle ages and early modern period. It's worth remembering a few things:
1. Just because men-at-arms typically fight on horseback in the open field doesn't mean they exclusively fought like that (e.g. in sieges). They had to spend a lot of time walking in armour.
2. There are different ways of being armoured. Not only are there many different types of armour, such as plate, jack, and mail, but you can wear different amounts of each. If you are on a long march, maybe you stick with breastplate and armet, and only get fully armed when you're expecting a major battle.
3. The weight of plate armour is well distributed along the whole body, while the weight of a soldier's pack is more focused on the shoulders and is also heavier. It's definitely plausible to go on a long march fully armored.

Now, interestingly even when sources like the Luzerner Schilling show heavily armoured reislaufer on the march, they leave their legs unarmored. Maybe leg armor isn't all that necessary for foot soldiers because of geometry (it's a shorter distance from my pike to your head than your pike to my legs) or maybe it's to do with pace of march, or maybe it's a rust issue. Who knows.

So your joke actually makes sense here. Switching out horses happened with some regularity, all the way back to the early days of knighthood. In most instances I can think of, though, it's "Ah my king/count/margrave I notice your horse is dead here take mine" so not something planned but horses seem to get killed with fair frequency. Of course, this is also situational. If you are fighting in a war where ransom and taking of prisoners is common and the stakes are relatively low, e.g. the 1117-1119 war between Louis VI and Henry I, you more often see the person on top targeted because they know if they give up they'll be spared, and the horse is a valuable prize.

i read some study by us army about carrying capacity, and weight on legs seem more heavier and they tire out the carriers faster, so it seems natural that earlier soldiers would have avoided it too on marches

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Seems like a logical chausses

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I am greaved by that terrible pun.

Anyway- roman and greek swords. They didn't seem to have much of a cross guard on the hilt- why is that? I would've thought protection of the sword hand would be a pretty high priority.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
There's reasons commonly presented (use with shields etc), but I'm going to slide straight past to an argument I came up with in the pub once:

The trend for more comprehensive hand protection in later european swords is from the prominent cruciform hilt as a favored ritualistic feature in christian cultures - leading to those societies developing it as protection over handstop. It's really not very common elsewhere, most people seem to have considered at most a small disc guard sufficient before the modern era spread complex hilts like sabre guards everywhere.

No I didn't find any evidence for this.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

mossyfisk posted:

There's reasons commonly presented (use with shields etc), but I'm going to slide straight past to an argument I came up with in the pub once:

The trend for more comprehensive hand protection in later european swords is from the prominent cruciform hilt as a favored ritualistic feature in christian cultures - leading to those societies developing it as protection over handstop. It's really not very common elsewhere, most people seem to have considered at most a small disc guard sufficient before the modern era spread complex hilts like sabre guards everywhere.

No I didn't find any evidence for this.

I like this. See also castle turrets, moats, various armor features etc etc. The modern equivalent is the powerpoint soldiers who are more kitted out than the special forces guys.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

mossyfisk posted:

The trend for more comprehensive hand protection in later european swords is from the prominent cruciform hilt as a favored ritualistic feature in christian cultures -

No, it's because having a sword slide down your sword and chop off your fingers is bad.

Here's a Greek sword with a guard over the fingers which predates Christianity:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Tree Bucket posted:

I am greaved by that terrible pun.

Anyway- roman and greek swords. They didn't seem to have much of a cross guard on the hilt- why is that? I would've thought protection of the sword hand would be a pretty high priority.

The short answer is shields. Greek and Roman swords were always used in conjunction with large shields. A legionary is not parrying with his sword, he uses the huge scutum to protect him and only uses his sword offensively. They still have guards, but their purpose is to keep the users hand from sliding up onto the blade, or the sword from slipping out of ones grip. Same as with "viking" era swords, as they were also used with shields.

But then there is also the Xiphos, which was used interchangeably based on location and time as the Kopis Cessna linked, which has a crossguard, albeit smaller than on medieval swords.

Migration (viking) period swords evolved from the Roman Spatha and continued to have minimal hand protection until the medieval period where you start seeing arming swords with crossguards become more common. And then as swords become more and more used in either civillian life or on post gunpowder battlefields without shields, more and more hand protection evolves from like the 1400s onward where you see knucklebows, nagles on messers, then the complex hilts on rapiers, and then the various types of guards used on military sabres and whatnot in the 17-1800s. this is of course a massive and gross oversimplification of a process that took a thousand years and is complicated as gently caress.

To further gently caress up the Christianity theory, here is a Turkish Shamshir with a cross hilt

and a Sudanese Kaskara

And the Han Chinese in like 200 BC already had steel swords with complex hilts

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Han dynasty invented Christianity got it

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Benagain posted:

But the Europeans were the first to use it for warfare!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Benagain posted:

Journey to the West sequel

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I do think some later longsword designs did purposefully lean into the cruciform aspect, but that eventually turned into its own weird thing where the sword was designed to be used with a fighting style that involved the sword being the only thing in the wielder's hands and also that the wielder be entirely armored.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

SlothfulCobra posted:

I do think some later longsword designs did purposefully lean into the cruciform aspect, but that eventually turned into its own weird thing where the sword was designed to be used with a fighting style that involved the sword being the only thing in the wielder's hands and also that the wielder be entirely armored.

for sure, the swiss even started putting complex hilts on longswords

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well, the sword being the only thing in the wielder's hands and the wielder being entirely armored are related because a lot of hits don't do real damage to someone in full plate so a shield is less necessary.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Elyv posted:

Well, the sword being the only thing in the wielder's hands and the wielder being entirely armored are related because a lot of hits don't do real damage to someone in full plate so a shield is less necessary.

A lot of games like D&D (we can probably blame D&D for among other things popularising this) mess this up because traditionally you had lots of armour or a bigass shield, not both.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Also the media representation of medieval knights and heavily kitted roman legionnaires, which probaby inspired early DND in turn.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I'd say that if you don't go digging into the real :spergin: content, the perception of wanting a shield and armor is totally natural and reasonable. Some defense is good, more defense is better - the universal image of the Roman legionary has armor and a big shield, after all. I'd guess very few people understand just how good late medieval armor was at protecting its wearer, and they can't really be blamed for that. And shields stayed a thing during jousting even when full plate was widely adopted, and there are a lot of depictions of that in popular culture.

That Swiss longsword is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I always wore ring mail, a buckler and wielded a bastard sword as a fighter. Now I mostly wear jeans and a henley tee