Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
When the midiclorians finally decide to end Jerry’s time on this plane of existence, we’re gonna find out his will leaves total control of the franchise to Throatzilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The idea of Gruden's emails being leaked to be a "distraction" is kinda dumb and doesn't make sense on any level. Also that's not how the 24 hour news cycle works.

True, I'm too cynical about corporations doing good things I guess.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Before the season started Marc Sessler of the ATN podcast made a prop bet that an NFL coach would resign and there'd be a major story involving an NFL cheerleader lol.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Before the season started Marc Sessler of the ATN podcast made a prop bet that an NFL coach would resign and there'd be a major story involving an NFL cheerleader lol.

His bet was legit the first thing I thought of with Urban. Then obviously with Gruden. Sessler is right once every few years and it's a terrifying power. He also guessed correctly (regardless of what the other hosts say) that a game would be relocated a few years ago.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Carr is probably saying that like how someone still loves their brother who murdered someone but acknowledges that maybe his brother also had a bad idea. I think.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Carr is probably saying that like how someone still loves their brother who murdered someone but acknowledges that maybe his brother also had a bad idea. I think.

I don’t think Carr likes Gruden much, since Gruden’s been wanting to move on from Carr since he got there.

Remember when Gruden wanted to start Peterman over Carr? And Peterman’s still loving there. :lol:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

3 DONG HORSE posted:

That and Carr is pretty religious, isnt he? So he's probably doing the Good Christian thing of loving people despite their faults.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I don’t think Carr likes Gruden much, since Gruden’s been wanting to move on from Carr since he got there.

Remember when Gruden wanted to start Peterman over Carr? And Peterman’s still loving there. :lol:

????

None of this happened

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Gruden had been there for 4 years and had not drafted a QB in any round and Carr is a top ten quarterback who has improved every year under Gruden’s system

Gruden loves qbs but Peterman had been the only backup QB since Mariota has been hurt (which is always)

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

That and Carr is pretty religious, isnt he? So he's probably doing the Good Christian thing of loving people despite their faults.

That was my thinking but I didn't know for sure if he was a devout Christian

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I..I don't remember this. Maybe my memory is faulty but I thought he was doing typical "I need to figure poo poo out" coachspeak when he first got there. Though my Raiders buddies in real life bitched a lot (despite seeing the reality of not having Carr would be across the street in the Broncos).

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
aren't they next door neighbors too? don't want to make the morning driveway hellos too awkward

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Meh, I thought that was a whole plot line from Hard Knocks that one year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Nah I think Carr's exactly this type of religious fundie not actually paying attention to anything dweeb who actually thinks that.

Or at least he wants to be perceived that way for reasons I don't understand. That article is hard to get through without rolling your eyes so hard they fall out of your head. I mean I'm not even going to subject anyone to quoting anything from it, click on that link and that's on you.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

Nah I think Carr's exactly this type of religious fundie not actually paying attention to anything dweeb who actually thinks that.

Or at least he wants to be perceived that way for reasons I don't understand. That article is hard to get through without rolling your eyes so hard they fall out of your head. I mean I'm not even going to subject anyone to quoting anything from it, click on that link and that's on you.

The AFC West really cornered the market on QB Christianity for a while there didn't we

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Efb

Hmmmm

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/09/03/derek-carr-nearly-quit-football-to-preach-before-rookie-season-with-raiders/

quote:

“In my heart, I’d never had this feeling where I was so overcome with my thoughts that I was like, ‘I can’t do anything right now,’” Carr said as he sat at a table in the lounge of an East Bay hotel. “The thought was, ‘You need to stop playing football and preach.’”
Carr didn’t hesitate to speak back at his inner voice. “I’m thinking, ‘I’ve dreamed of being an NFL quarterback my whole life, so chill out.’”

But chilling was easier said than done for the restless rookie. Carr was soon knocking at the door of Dennis Allen, telling his head coach he was considering walking away from the sport before ever participating in a single padded practice.
“He didn’t take it too great, obviously,” Carr said with a chuckle. “He didn’t even know what to say to me.”

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Woozie66 posted:

His bet was legit the first thing I thought of with Urban. Then obviously with Gruden. Sessler is right once every few years and it's a terrifying power. He also guessed correctly (regardless of what the other hosts say) that a game would be relocated a few years ago.

And he called the Philly Special!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure I understand why we're talking about Jerry Jones when most of this is involving Dan "expired airline food at concession stands" Snyder.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm not sure I understand why we're talking about Jerry Jones when most of this is involving Dan "expired airline food at concession stands" Snyder.

Jerry’s more fun evil. Snyder is just depressing evil.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Meh, I thought that was a whole plot line from Hard Knocks that one year.

I'm with you that I remember "Gruden wants to dump Carr" being a thing early on. But clearly it was either just wholesale made up to stir drama, or Carr won him over. Because Gruden had ample opportunity to replace him over the years and it never happened.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Jerry’s more fun evil. Snyder is just depressing evil.

Kinda like choosing now, of all the possible times, to retire Sean Taylor's number.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Docjowles posted:

I'm with you that I remember "Gruden wants to dump Carr" being a thing early on. But clearly it was either just wholesale made up to stir drama, or Carr won him over. Because Gruden had ample opportunity to replace him over the years and it never happened.
Yeah I remember something about it too. I think it had something to do with Gruden's dislike of playing rookies along with his love of elderly QBs.

I wonder if Chris or Phil Simms were involved in the leak...

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
People never stopped speculating that Gruden hated Carr from the jump. Whether or not there was anything to it was the question.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I honestly didn't know too much about Gruden's actual football history aside from him winning a Super Bowl in Tampa - but man I read that Barnwell article about what he did to the Raiders and lol.

Bill Barnwell posted:

Gruden's second act with the Raiders was an unqualified failure. Focusing solely on his work over the past few years, it was a failure in exactly the ways we would have expected based on his time in Tampa Bay. He did a solid job of running the offense and got just about everything else wrong. Virtually every one of his significant personnel decisions turned out to be a mistake. He dismantled the organization and turned the core he inherited into pennies on the dollar.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32395294/jon-gruden-built-bad-raiders-roster-why-tenure-was-disaster-other-nfl-teams-learn-next

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

wyoak posted:

aren't they next door neighbors too? don't want to make the morning driveway hellos too awkward

Yeah Gruden just closed on a home last month :lol:
https://www.reviewjournal.com/homes/real-estate-millions/raiders-coach-jon-gruden-builds-vegas-home-in-southern-highlands-2437651/
Carr is two doors down

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HappyHippo posted:

Carr is two doors down

If I go racist, then will you still call me coach gruden?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

I hate you for this.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Gruden that ole rubber lipped sunuvabitch

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

MacheteZombie posted:

:discourse:

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

MacheteZombie posted:

Lmao

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

FYI Nodoze made a WFT thread to post whatever other crazy stuff that comes out: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982126

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

MacheteZombie posted:

:wow:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

MacheteZombie posted:

I love this site.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
can someone explain that joke to me. im sorry

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Play posted:

can someone explain that joke to me. im sorry

3 Doors Down is an American rock band from Escatawpa, Mississippi, that formed in 1996. The band originally consisted of Brad Arnold (lead vocals, drums), Matt Roberts (lead guitar, backing vocals), and Todd Harrell (bass guitar). The band rose to international fame with their first single, "Kryptonite", which placed in the top three on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. The band then signed with Republic Records and released their debut album, The Better Life, in 2000. The album was the 11th-best-selling album of the year and was certified 6x platinum in the United States. The group was later joined by drummer Richard Liles, who played during the tour for their first album.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

bean mom posted:

3 Doors Down is an American rock band from Escatawpa, Mississippi, that formed in 1996. The band originally consisted of Brad Arnold (lead vocals, drums), Matt Roberts (lead guitar, backing vocals), and Todd Harrell (bass guitar). The band rose to international fame with their first single, "Kryptonite", which placed in the top three on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. The band then signed with Republic Records and released their debut album, The Better Life, in 2000. The album was the 11th-best-selling album of the year and was certified 6x platinum in the United States. The group was later joined by drummer Richard Liles, who played during the tour for their first album.

hahahaha I finally definitely get it. so funny. look at us, a bunch of friends, laughing at the same joke together!

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
For anyone who hasn't gotten it. I totally did from the jump and didn't need the wiki article.

MacheteZombie posted:

to the tune of the chorus. Also brace for old man balls https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPU8OAjjS4k&t=65s

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
NRR could have made some magic happen with this idea :(

And probably made a better song out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Grittybeard posted:

NRR could have made some magic happen with this idea :(

And probably made a better song out of it.
poo poo. I still have that thread bookmarked.