Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

What’s a ww1 weapon? I guess rifle and machine gun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I assume they mean they draw the line at anything automatic or semiautomatic. Revolvers or lever-guns evoke westerns which is definitely where a lot of the "Guns" flavor lives, but a maxim gun or fantasy broomhandle mauser evokes a very different tone even if they're all pretty contemporary in the real world. I'm still not wild about incorporating anything more advanced than a wheellock or flintlock in my fantasy early modern game, but it is what it is. The rules seem relatively balanced so it's not too big a deal in that sense, anyhow.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The Poppet ancestry and its heritage options are just wonderful and I can't wait to play one :swoon:

https://imgur.com/a/cmS4Pow

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I think they're advising more against a 1911 or another "modern" semiauto, revolvers seem appropriate.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

To be clear, the guns on default offer are all mostly roughly 'black powder musket' levels of tech. The included weapon table includes two non-single shot pistols: a pepperbox and a 'slide pistol' which from the art shown, seems to be an analogue to the real life volley/duck's foot pistol.

Granted, it's fairly easy to refluff one of those as an actual revolver, it still felt sort of odd to have art depicting characters wielding weapons that RAW should be incredibly rare. The balance of the weaponry and rules looks fine (if a little clunky - dual wielding pistols looks like a bit of an action nightmare) so it's mostly just a quibble.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

The Maxim gun seems like the line as far as "acceptable firearms in medieval fantasy" goes

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
really want to make an inventor who uses power armor and the black powder knuckles and punchtanks through the enemy

I really like the gun weapon balance of "low base damage but will absolutely gently caress you up on a crit" and how it meshes with gunslinger's accuracy focus

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

A friend of mine is setting up an Extinction Curse campaign and an initial decision to be the strongman of the circus was rapidly derailed by noticing there is a Wrestler archetype and also that Orcs get an Ancestry Feat that gives them Special Magic Masks. Thus was El Leopardo Blanco born, noble Orc Luchador, highly skilled at lifting and throwing things both living and not. I have NO IDEA if Grapple-focused Barbarian is actually good, even with Wrestler tacking on some extra stuff, but god dammit it seems like it's going to be a good time. Only problem is there are actually... Too many feats for this build and I can't decide what's good and what isn't, or if I even really want the Wrestler archetype. Can someone with more charop skill let me know of any obvious pitfalls I might fall into with this build? Pretty new to PF2E as a whole so genuinely anything would help. Thanks in advance.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The RPGbot guide will have some build advice. Search for 'grapple'.

https://rpgbot.net/p2/characters/classes/barbarian/

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Infinity Gaia posted:

A friend of mine is setting up an Extinction Curse campaign and an initial decision to be the strongman of the circus was rapidly derailed by noticing there is a Wrestler archetype and also that Orcs get an Ancestry Feat that gives them Special Magic Masks. Thus was El Leopardo Blanco born, noble Orc Luchador, highly skilled at lifting and throwing things both living and not. I have NO IDEA if Grapple-focused Barbarian is actually good, even with Wrestler tacking on some extra stuff, but god dammit it seems like it's going to be a good time. Only problem is there are actually... Too many feats for this build and I can't decide what's good and what isn't, or if I even really want the Wrestler archetype. Can someone with more charop skill let me know of any obvious pitfalls I might fall into with this build? Pretty new to PF2E as a whole so genuinely anything would help. Thanks in advance.

If you're not playing with free Archetype: You're basically set, since the Wrestler Archetype will take up most of your feats. Barbarian is a perfectly reasonable chassis here, since most of what you want is to not die, but Gymnast Swashbuckler is another Interesting Option to consider, if you want to lean more in on flashy than angry.

If you are playing with free Archetype; you're much less feat starved; you probably want to use your class feats on double Archetype Feats a few times in the 4-10 range to pick up the full range of 'moves', so pick a class that works around that. I would again say that Swashbuckler might actually be a good choice here, but barbarian can work too.

The biggest pitfall I see looking over the archetype is that one of the best feats you have access to, and your bread and butter, is gonna be "Combat Grab". And Combat Grab is a great feat! It lets you grab an opponent for free after a successful melee attack...

But, the Wrestler archetype doesn't do anything to make your unarmed attacks not be a lovely D4. So we need to solve that. You have a few options. You can 'fight dirty' with a 1 handed weapon - a War Razor would be thematic, but being Agile, it sucks to rage with It's an incredible choice if going the Swashbuckler route though. A Pick is the cheesy charop choice flavor of the month right now and would be neat, but also, it's cheesy as gently caress and not really on theme. Or, and this is probably the best choice for you, we make sure that our Barbarian is an Animal Instinct barbarian. That means while raging, you can take on the aspect of the Cat (Since El Leopardo), and get Bite and Claw attacks, which work with your neat grapple feats. So you can use a bite attack into a combat grab, for example, and then Suplex the opponent.

tl;dr, figure out a natual weapon option. Remember that you'll mostly ignore class feats and figure out what you want from your class chassis. Do you want to be an angry set up and knock down selfish damage type, or do you want to be a flashy controller that focuses more on setting up favorable conditions for comrades? The former is a Barbarian. The latter is probably a Swashbuckler or Monk - though the latter probably needs to reflavor some skills.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I'm playing a gnoll fighter (Crunch ancestry feat gives a1d8 bite attack with the grapple trait) that has the unarmed feats, its very fun

Piell fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 15, 2021

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Syrinxx posted:

The Poppet ancestry and its heritage options are just wonderful and I can't wait to play one :swoon:

https://imgur.com/a/cmS4Pow

I wanna play HeroFriend, the forlorn toy soldier wished to life

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Best Friends posted:

I wanna play HeroFriend, the forlorn toy soldier wished to life

Everyone in my Strength of Thousands group last night went :kimchi: over that heritage yeah. Poppets loving own. Can't wait to be a clockwork poppet with a literal Hand Cannon as big as them :getin:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Megazver posted:

The RPGbot guide will have some build advice. Search for 'grapple'.

https://rpgbot.net/p2/characters/classes/barbarian/

Chevy Slyme posted:

tl;dr, figure out a natual weapon option. Remember that you'll mostly ignore class feats and figure out what you want from your class chassis. Do you want to be an angry set up and knock down selfish damage type, or do you want to be a flashy controller that focuses more on setting up favorable conditions for comrades? The former is a Barbarian. The latter is probably a Swashbuckler or Monk - though the latter probably needs to reflavor some skills.

Thanks for the help! Yeah, I didn't make it clear but the reason I had decided on Barbarian specifically was for Animal Instinct for the very good unarmed options. On further research I probably should pick Deer for maximum efficiency but a deer based luchador is much less cool than a leopard themed one. We're not playing with Free Archetypes, but even within Wrestler itself it feels like it has two different sort of "objectives" it trends towards. One is to hold a guy indefinitely while debuffing him and the other is to grab a guy just to toss him around. I figure I'm probably fine going for one or the other and make that my general gameplan, with some stuff from Barbarian (Attack of Opportunity!) included. I actually realized that combat grab makes for an excellent turn 2 play, if you managed to grapple and hold onto an enemy until your turn comes around again. You can Suplex, then Combat Grab, then Whirling Toss. Since Whirling Toss isn't an attack, it's not subject to multiple attack penalty, right?

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

What book is the Poppet from? And is Guns and Gears out just for subscribers?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

The Golux posted:

What book is the Poppet from? And is Guns and Gears out just for subscribers?

Poppet is in Grand Bazaar; both it and GnG published on Wednesday, so not just subscribers anymore.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

All the Guns&Gears and Grand Bazaar material is available on nethys already too if you want to check it out

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Stuffed with Fluff Precision Damage Cut it's Winnie the Pooh

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Has Paizo announced the Free RPG Day adventure for this year? I know for last year they did a Kobold thing to hype up the APG. Is it too much to hope for an adventure in which a squad of sentient toys have to save their local enchanted forest?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Chevy Slyme posted:

Has Paizo announced the Free RPG Day adventure for this year? I know for last year they did a Kobold thing to hype up the APG. Is it too much to hope for an adventure in which a squad of sentient toys have to save their local enchanted forest?

It's a Magaambya adventure

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Blockhouse posted:

It's a Magaambya adventure

Boooo.

Someone has to be writing poppet squad adventures though, right? I wish I had time to actually like.. prep things, because yeah. Pathfinder Toy Story is just begging to happen.

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Guess I don't have to hold out hope for them adding Arcanist, they snuck it in as an archetype. Which actually makes a lot more sense than having it be a class. Secrets of Magic definitely has a lot more stuff in it than I thought it would.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Meanwhile in Guns & Gears Inventor has some of the best feat names in the game

I almost want to make a construct inventor entirely so I can have No! No! I Created You! on my character sheet

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
I really want to buy books local, but drat if it isn't hard to find the newer releases in shops near me.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah I should have bought local but ehhhh msrp on this poo poo… bought mini figs and dice from the local shop

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Someone make a Geno build with poppet tia

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Someone make a Geno build with poppet tia
Aasimar Poppet Gunslinger

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Froghammer posted:

Aasimar Poppet Gunslinger

With spellshot archetype/way probably.

Alternately, poppet gunslinger woody from toy story.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I'm going to be starting a new adventure in a couple weeks and need some character advice!

It's going to be a level 1-3 adventure and I'm thinking some kind of spellcaster. Can't decide between something more utility based like a Bard or more of a damager like a Sorcerer? Then there's Witches, Wizards, and Druids too...any of the spellcasters particularly good/interesting at low levels?

Leaning towards Sorcerer or Witch but kinda information overload on what they're good at. I'm looking for a more "complicated" class to get into the weeds on.

Doing a Kobald sorcerer, I've taken the warrior background so he can inflate his neck flaps and scare enemies.

What will be more useful at low levels, Dragon's Presence (Demoralize foe of your level or lower gets a +1 bono) or Kobold Breath (1d4 cone or line breath attack). Leaning towards Dragon's Presence because it fits more thematically, and the breath attack feels pretty week even vs cantrips.

At 2nd level was thinking Bon Mot to lower will/perception saves as a lead-in for casting Befuddle to make a single target some variety of clumsy and stupefied. Buuuuut I'd need to speak the language of the creature, and I'm a low-int dumbass so worried I won't get to use it much? Plus it wouldn't work against any creature right? Plus I'll be using Demoralize anyway, which with the Intimidating Glare feat will just work on everything anyway.

I could switch out Bon Mot for Arcane Sense to get Detect Magic for free, since I'm currently using a cantrip spot for it.

Picking up a familiar at level 2, a little snake or something. Not sure which familiar traits to take, or if comboing a touch spell with familiar spell delivery is worth it.

Spell picks not super sure so here's level 1 and level 3 picks:

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 17, 2021

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

Dragon's Presence I would say for sure. Demoralizing is a great available third action. Just keep in mind enemies become immune to Demoralization for awhile after being scared once, and scaring people is also a pretty common third action for Fighters, Barbarians, and some Gunslingers, so check with your party.

Bon Mot depends a lot on what you expect to be fighting in your campaign. Animals and unintelligent undead are practically immune to it, RAW, and those tend to be very common low level enemies. If you can reasonably expect to fire one off and have it stick, it's a great compliment for a spell controller character that wants to punch Will saves a lot, especially since you can spread it around every turn and it'll probably last the entire combat.

Familiars mostly depend on your creativity. Generally you want it for exploration, stealth and social since its effective at these things and trying to get it to deliver one action spells in combat generally ends up fairly inefficient in my experience and runs the risk of your familiar getting pasted.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

They only become immune to your attempts to demoralize them, so multiple people can safely demoralize the same enemy, you just want to stagger them since the frightened condition doesn't stack.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

Ah, yep, that's right. I consistently mess that one up since I just read 'immune' and stop thinking.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
At PFS last week, our Barbarian successfully yelled two bugbears into submission. That was fun.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
So uh, how long does Paizo take to do anything? It's been 2 and a half weeks since I ordered the core book and nothing from them.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jarvisi posted:

So uh, how long does Paizo take to do anything? It's been 2 and a half weeks since I ordered the core book and nothing from them.

Product Availability

Hardcover:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 11 to 20 business days.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Toshimo posted:

Product Availability

Hardcover:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 11 to 20 business days.

I think amazon has ruined me for shipping times. Also every other company

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Summoners max out at 9th level spells, right? I'm playing around with pathbuilder and I can set 10th level summoner spells and I think that's a glitch?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Summoners max out at 9th level spells, right? I'm playing around with pathbuilder and I can set 10th level summoner spells and I think that's a glitch?

https://2e.aonprd.com/Feats.aspx?ID=2943

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The Kaiju summoning spell is the dumbest poo poo I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

:woop:Paizo Recognizes United Paizo Workers:woop:

Good start.