Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Lord Ludikrous posted:

In the absence of hard data I can only go by personal experience which suggests your suspicion is correct. My understanding of the US market is the 320i is right at the bottom of the range BMW offers. Over here (varies by country) you also have the 318i and 316i (and 318d and 316d), and those tend to be the bottom spec ones.

Plus there’s also sorts of taxes and costs you get with increasing list prices and emissions, and the 320i/320d sit right in that sweet spot of having plenty of power for day to day use but not getting raked over the coals for it.

Why is the standard of what determines a “powerful car” so much higher in the US anyway? Or is it just internet tryhards and enthusiasts with inherent biases that skew the perception somewhat?

The 320i is actually gone from the US market now, it’s 330i, 330e and M340i. It never made much sense anyway, the 320i is just a detuned 330i.

The standards are higher here because other than paying slightly more for gas, there’s no incentive not to get the biggest motor you can reasonably afford. The difference between a 330i and and M340i is like $8k where in most places the carbon tax alone is way more than that.

When I bought my first 335i, I was going down in horsepower from a tuned 400+ horsepower Mustang GT but I needed 4 doors. The BMW was the only thing that had 300+ horsepower and a 6 speed. The 328 wasn’t available w/ AWD and a 6 speed and I “needed” 300 horsepower to not feel like I was giving up too much.

Now I drive a ZF8 M340 as I hit old age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

TheBacon posted:

Last new Dinan E9X N52 exhaust installed, mostly worked other than needing a fat stack of washers to get around the bracing, hilarious to me they just banged in the stock exhaust pipe to make it fit around the rear bracing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2Ke1avqhOc
ohhh i love this

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ether Frenzy posted:

As has been noted the E9x M3 and the M2 are virtually identical in dimensions and weight. Even the seating position is nearly the same.

Compare the E36 M3 specs with the E28 M5, they're surprisingly close. Yes this has nothing to do with current discussion, just something I found interesting.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

You need more power to pull out in front of someone and not even go the speed limit.

Gotta be able to keep up with traffic on the Texas highways. Posted speed limit 65? Everyone in the left lane is doing 85-90.

But not on mopac, the left lane there is to do 30 under the posted speed limit.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Need that hp in the mountains too. That guy doing 15mph through the twisties will loving gun it up to 70 the moment you hit a passing area.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

fknlo posted:

Need that hp in the mountains too. That guy doing 15mph through the twisties will loving gun it up to 70 the moment you hit a passing area.

This happens to me every day when I'm driving home. The speed limit on the highway is 70mph, it it changes from being two lanes to sometimes one side having a passing lane. People like to go 50-55 mph on the one lane per direction part and then as soon as our side opens up to be two lanes, they speed up to 75. It's either that or some truck that sits in the left lane still going 55 because "slower traffic keep right" doesn't mean anything to them.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
New Hans Zimmer engine noise just dropped

https://youtu.be/3v_vLieWnB0

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Does this mean Forza will finally have a realistic engine sound? :v:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

New Hans Zimmer engine noise just dropped

https://youtu.be/3v_vLieWnB0

Wow I hate it, just make it quiet. I want ev to be as quiet as possible (inside).

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Can you do a burnout yet kill hour

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Bape Culture posted:

Can you do a burnout yet kill hour

I hear it's hard to do burnouts when your engine needs new main bearings lololol

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Diametunim posted:

I hear it's hard to do burnouts when your engine needs new main bearings lololol

or it's easier because you don't have to worry about what happens if you engine blows up

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

That was what I was thinking too. Definitely get a new engine if the block is split in half.

Also I’m curious how it sounds

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Yeah you're in a strange position where you're probably better off if you can completely kill the engine and force an entire replacement rather than having it 'fixed' poorly by someone that is being pushed by their management to do the job as quickly as possible because the reimbursement from BMW USA is 70% or whatever of what it actually takes to get done right.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

As for a cold burnout, it really likes to hook up and I don't want to put that much stress on the transmission so I'll do it when it's drizzling.

I have launched it though and it hits like a loving truck.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Ah is yours 4wd?? I keep forgetting all the new facts. That will be hard unless you tie it up I guess

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

Ah is yours 4wd?? I keep forgetting all the new facts. That will be hard unless you tie it up I guess

You can put it in 2WD only, same as the M5. It STILL wants to hook unless you're really aggressive on the brakes. Should've added a line-lock mode.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Folks, I hate to be the one to break this to you, but the f87 is ENORMOUS.
(in that it's like e46 sized but taller)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

Folks, I hate to be the one to break this to you, but the f87 is ENORMOUS.
(in that it's like e46 sized but taller)

It weighs the same and has roughly the same dimensions as a Ford Focus.

Speaking of, though, I'm renting an M240 convertible in California for my drive up the coast from San Diego to Seattle in December. What have you people done to me?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

F87 just needs coilovers and setting up and it looks mint tho

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004

KillHour posted:

It weighs the same and has roughly the same dimensions as a Ford Focus.

Speaking of, though, I'm renting an M240 convertible in California for my drive up the coast from San Diego to Seattle in December. What have you people done to me?

You won't need the soft top for the second half of that drive in December. Are you going to stick to the coast the whole way or cut over to I-5 at some point? We took our M340 down the top half of the Oregon coast a few weeks ago and goddamn it was fun.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have to return it in LA so coast on the way up and I-5 on the way back down.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Make sure you grab a bite at Alice’s when you pass through the Bay. Always tons of cool bikes and cars.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

KillHour posted:

or it's easier because you don't have to worry about what happens if you engine blows up

:hmmyes:

I retract my previous statement. Do a burnout.

E: Bape, have you ever had to replace the hubs / wheel bearings on your E46? I think mine our on their way out. There isnt any play and they feel solid but they're pretty loud as I go down the highway, pretty sure that's not normal.

I think I'm going to covert to standard wheel studs as well when I pull the trigger on this maintenance.

Diametunim fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 15, 2021

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Russian Bear posted:

Wow I hate it, just make it quiet. I want ev to be as quiet as possible (inside).

you need the sound of a big block V8 to phase out the rattles and squeaks

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Diametunim posted:

:hmmyes:

I retract my previous statement. Do a burnout.

E: Bape, have you ever had to replace the hubs / wheel bearings on your E46? I think mine our on their way out. There isnt any play and they feel solid but they're pretty loud as I go down the highway, pretty sure that's not normal.

I think I'm going to covert to standard wheel studs as well when I pull the trigger on this maintenance.

Yeah man but I just took it to my mate with a press and that. But mine had play in like Y when it was jacked up. Weird that yours doesn’t

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've had the noise happen before play was developed too, you just caught it early :)

It happened to me specifically with some SKF E30 front hubs, SKF told my supplier that there was a batch of improperly heat treated bearings.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KillHour posted:

I-5 on the way back down
Willow Ranch BBQ in Buttonwillow on the way back, if that's something you like. I've been going for the last decade

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

To be fair my car is so loving loud maybe it was making noise hahaha

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtBijIRSaYY

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Not an burnout but still very good.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Nice.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Hahaha

blk
Dec 19, 2009
A goon friend is loaning me his E46 325xiT. It has the key with the Diamond shaped head and none of the remote buttons work.

My understanding is that the key battery charges from the ignition, so I’m guessing it’s not easily replaceable.

Central locking works when the key is inserted in the drivers door lock.

Re-pairing the key to the car via the ignition method doesn’t work.

Is this something I can easily troubleshoot or fix for him? I’m seeing lots of scattered info about it across BMW forums and no clear next step.

Thanks!

blk fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 17, 2021

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

blk posted:

A goon friend is loaning me his E46 325xiT. It has the key with the Diamond shaped head and none of the remote buttons work.

My understanding is that the key battery charges from the ignition, so I’m guessing it’s not easily replaceable.

Central locking works when the key is inserted in the drivers door lock.

Re-pairing the key to the car via the ignition method doesn’t work.

Is this something I can easily troubleshoot or fix for him? I’m seeing lots of scattered info about it across BMW forums and no clear next step.

Thanks!

Your understanding of how the key charges is correct. There's an inductive coil in the key ignition that charges a battery in the key while the car is on. However, the little battery will go bad after some time.

You CAN replace the battery in the key, it does require some soldering though.

When you say central locking works, you mean when you insert the key into the door and turn the lock all doors in the car unlock?

I've never had to troubleshoot key / lock issues outside of my old Honda. But my next steps would likely be:

1) verify the key he has is actually correct and compatible with the computer that controls the locks. I can't imagine this would actually be the case as you saying "diamond shaped key" leads me to believe you're holding the original OEM key

2) verify that said computer is functioning properly.

3) get a new key off of eBay and the crappy Chinese box to clone the original key over to the new fob and see if there's any improvement there.

4) ensure there's no weird aftermarket remote system installed in the car anywhere.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
With my E46 key, i cut it open with a dremel and slapped in a regular cr2025, i think i just taped or glued it in, did the complex coding procedure, and it worked for another few years. To do it right, you can solder in a rechargeable Panasonic battery.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Thank you both. After posting, I thought I'd try re-pairing the key one more time, and of course I can't loving find it anywhere since I last had it 24 hours ago. I may have to replace it.

What's the right procedure without spending a ton of money at the dealer?

- Do I need a new blank and head with transponder, and if so, where should I buy? Or, can I buy a used one and just swap the blade and reprogram the head?

- Where should I get the blade cut? Can it be cut using the VIN, or do I need the other key to copy?

- Can I program the transponder using the ignition, or do I need a third party tool?

I have ADHD and lose stuff constantly but this is a new record :(

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
https://www.thebmwminipartstore.com/ was the cheapest dealer when i had to get one 4-5 years ago. you have to provide the VIN# and registration or title and they'll send a key to you.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5w_wYenrn4

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

https://www.thebmwminipartstore.com/ was the cheapest dealer when i had to get one 4-5 years ago. you have to provide the VIN# and registration or title and they'll send a key to you.

Thanks! A neighbor ended up finding the key but I’ll definitely remember this for when needed.

I noticed a couple of lines hanging low in the front of the car and grabbed a photo as I was walking away - didn’t have time to take a closer look. Anything I should be worried about? It’s the 325xi

blk fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 20, 2021