Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Don't reply like the CEO said lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Sickening posted:

So I am online for about 10 minutes now and my boss sends me this. Keep in mind, she is complaining about a macOS onboarding document that I was told to write (what this has to do with infosec, I leave to you to decide".

If your boss sends you this, what do you even reply?

let her know my boss at a hospital requires a password and anti-virus be installed on our Macs to be considered HIPAA compliant for our Drs

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Sickening posted:

TL;DR

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The MAc method: Move-in After completion

Are we dealing with Schrödinger's paycheck and vacation now?

Unsubscribe

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.

Sickening posted:

Welp, turns out that Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

I got a text from my Ceo who said he is on an airplane to inform me that "The notification that I may have received about being let go were not authorized and that my access would be restored immediately".

The helpdesk guy called me and got me back into my accounts. I have been advised to have my meeting with the CEO today but otherwise not engage my boss in any way for the time being.

Paycheck status: online?

I love this thread so very much, this is better than Squid Game.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sickening posted:

Welp, turns out that Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

I got a text from my Ceo who said he is on an airplane to inform me that "The notification that I may have received about being let go were not authorized and that my access would be restored immediately".

The helpdesk guy called me and got me back into my accounts. I have been advised to have my meeting with the CEO today but otherwise not engage my boss in any way for the time being.

Paycheck status: online?

:magical:

This is exactly what I was hoping for, there has got to be fighting going on behind the scenes between the C-levels.

I feel like there is a small but significant chance you get promoted to CISO, and a higher chance that she gets the boot and someone new gets brought in.

Seriously, when a manager doesn't have the authority to fire someone you know there is something going on behind the scenes.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The CISO is going to be gone by the end of the day and I wouldn't be surprised if Sickening got the job.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

:magical:

This is exactly what I was hoping for, there has got to be fighting going on behind the scenes between the C-levels.

I feel like there is a small but significant chance you get promoted to CISO, and a higher chance that she gets the boot and someone new gets brought in.

The chance is loving zero. Even at a startup, promoting your only infosec employee to CISO would be a pretty rare feat.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

How strongly do you feel the CEO is worried about being sued?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Sickening posted:

The chance is loving zero. Even at a startup, promoting your only infosec employee to CISO would be a pretty rare feat.

not to CISO but i've seen security IC -> director of security happen

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

"Sir/Mam, this is a Taco Bell drive thru."

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
FX coming through for us

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Come on this is getting ridiculous. We need a live stream like the Truman Show

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Imagine being promoted to a C-level at your side hustle

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Sickening posted:

So I am online for about 10 minutes now and my boss sends me this. Keep in mind, she is complaining about a macOS onboarding document that I was told to write (what this has to do with infosec, I leave to you to decide".

Also yikes if your Mac MDM isn't enforcing managed Apple IDs

(or if worse you're not actually using Apple Business Manager for this)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think you're making a pretty big assumption that the person who typed all that up actually read and comprehended what they were reading.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
If she really wanted to know any of that she'd google it lmao

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Sickening posted:

I cannot parse this at all

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sickening posted:

I would send her a bottle of water, because otherwise that amount of verbal diarrhea is both fatal and lethal.

But I am happy for you and us that your paycheck status reverted to the needful, and online.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
there's a few legitimate concerns buried in the wall of stimulant abuse there. In particular, filevault, security group membership (she's not asking for what she actually wants, which is an explanation of how access differs between Mac and PC endpoints). the iCloud issue in particular is a genuine concern, and I agree with her that politely asking users not to use personal accounts is insufficient.

that's about it honestly. I'd answer those and politely inquire if she is smelling burnt toast for the rest.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Buff Hardback posted:

Also yikes if your Mac MDM isn't enforcing managed Apple IDs

(or if worse you're not actually using Apple Business Manager for this)

Yes but also that is for the department that handle client devices to do, not an infosec job. Desktop teams get poo poo on an awful lot but having sane policies in place and using the tools that Apple and Microsoft provide rather than fighting the OS by slapping some poo poo over the top of the OS go such a long way to making people's machines usable.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

When my current place talks about MDM, they are also referring to when they managed corp iOS devices by logging them all in with the same Apple ID. Apparently they stopped doing that when someone accidentally uploaded nudes to iCloud. How nudes made their way onto a corp iOS device, I'll never know.

There's so much dumb poo poo out there. It really is amazing that anything gets done or ever goes right.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

there's a few legitimate concerns buried in the wall of stimulant abuse there. In particular, filevault, security group membership (she's not asking for what she actually wants, which is an explanation of how access differs between Mac and PC endpoints). the iCloud issue in particular is a genuine concern, and I agree with her that politely asking users not to use personal accounts is insufficient.

that's about it honestly. I'd answer those and politely inquire if she is smelling burnt toast for the rest.

Sickening already has his out from the CEO, but The Iron Rose has some great advice here. If someone sends you poo poo that makes no drat sense, decide what you wish it meant, and reply as if it meant that. Even if you guess wrong, it gives you a chance to seize control of the agenda and make it what you want it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
god i love a good drama

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Of course tidbits of this madness are valid, but you have to also remember that outside of oncboarding a device to Intune, I am not the author of any written policy.

The author of the sections she is talking about there... is actually her! It happens all the time.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I have just had my meeting with the CEO. Its time for all of you to buckle up.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sickening posted:

:allears:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

POST. NOW. MOD ORDER. I'M NOT A MOD HERE BUT DON'T CARE. POST

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
:f5:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Feed me Seymour!

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone rename him to Teasening.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Someone rename him to Teasening.

Wait, we need to take bets here, I am betting CISO job offer is incoming.

Does sickening leave his day job for his moonlighting gig?
Does he keep trying to moonlight while being CISO?

Find out next time on The Teasening.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
drat. This is like a LOST Season 2 thread from TVIV :f5:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

POST. NOW. MOD ORDER. I'M NOT A MOD HERE BUT DON'T CARE. POST

you heard the man

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Teaming up w kate and sawyer to trap the ciso in a big cage

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
On the edge of my seat

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The first part of my talk with the CEO is actually incredibly boring. He is apologizing about the events of this morning. Telling me that this is somewhat his fault because he might have communicated the lack of progress on certain projects and she drastically took that as a reason to push blame onto others. He told me that all firings have to go through him first and lead council for obvious reasons and none of that have been followed. He thanked me for my efforts so far and said he has heard nothing but positive things about me from others. He stated that this obvious puts me under a lot of strain and makes the relationship between me and my boss near impossible as he would have said "I would have told our company to go kick rocks."

He gave me tips on conflict resolution and how to keep as much documented in email and teams as its an auditable record. He stressed following up on verbal conversations with written summaries of what you talked about afterwards so that she doesn't get to hide what is talked about over verbal conversation. Again, boring poo poo that I already knew and had been applying to some degree.

Towards the end he asked me about what I meant when I said she kept odd hours. I stated that she only had a lot of time for me after hours and would email and message me at all hours of the night. I also stated she was gone full days at a time without any communication with me. I said "I understand that c-suite executives are busy and that her time at our company takes up some time as well as any other commitments to other companies she might have."

My ceo: Wait, what other companies?

I mentioned her boards she always talks about (local highschools and colleges, etc, she has like 5 of them) which he stated he knew. I mentioned concert gigs she told me she did, he didn't know but didn't seem to care much about. I also mentioned "And the company she founded, she sometimes gets asked questions in the background about it her home office".

My ceo: You mean company xxx?

Yes, I think that is the one.

My ceo: She isn't suppose to be involved with them anymore. How would you know about them?

Umm, she still works out of that office space for her personal home office and its on the address of devices we have sent her. and ummm.. i think she has emailed me from that address a few times.

My ceo: She still has an email address with that company?!?!?!

Umm, yeah... she sent me a regular email from them by mistake. I didn't think anything of it. Want me to get you the email log?

My ceo: Please.

Umm. here you go. It appears she has been accidentaly emailing others in our org from that email, as well as forwarding email from herself to that email and vice versa.

My ceo: This is all news to me, its were part of her contract that she is to cease all business and ownership of that company. I need to end the call now to make some calls.

My crazy loving CISO went from Green status, to on a call, to offline. Her account is not locked.

I am on the other hand going to have a great loving weekend and vacation week. I have alerted the service desk guy to alert me if any poo poo goes down.

And no, sickening isn't going to get promoted you weirdos. Fantasy land: she steps down or gets fired. Real life scenario: she gets put on an island by herself to make my life miserable from afar.

Paycheck status: Giggly

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

:owned:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You just keep finding ways to keep the story going. Mad props for that, Sickening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sickening posted:

My ceo: You mean company xxx?

Yes, I think that is the one.

My ceo: She isn't suppose to be involved with them anymore. How would you know about them?

Umm, she still works out of that office space for her personal home office and its on the address of devices we have sent her. and ummm.. i think she has emailed me from that address a few times.

My ceo: She still has an email address with that company?!?!?!

Umm, yeah... she sent me a regular email from them by mistake. I didn't think anything of it. Want me to get you the email log?

My ceo: Please.

Umm. here you go. It appears she has been accidentaly emailing others in our org from that email, as well as forwarding email from herself to that email and vice versa.

My ceo: This is all news to me, its were part of her contract that she is to cease all business and ownership of that company. I need to end the call now to make some calls.

My crazy loving CISO went from Green status, to on a call, to offline. Her account is not locked.

Whoopsidoodle!

Amazing.

edit: I think the most hilarious part is that she's gonna get zinged by you, someone doing the exact same thing she's doing, only, y'know, not being an idiot about it. The ironing is delicious.