Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

GWBBQ posted:

Yeah, that was the one.

It's 7:04AM and you've already ruined my day. Why can't I adopt the big kitty and be the guy who lets the cable technician feed and pet the big cat in the backyard?

If it makes you feel better, I just saw a story on the local news where they had tranquillized what looked to be a mountain lion but was actually some exotic big cat that had escaped from its owner and was being returned. Just assume the tree cat is the same thing.

My favorite part is that someone had to make the call that, at the core, we've got a cat in a tree so we'd better get the fire department.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

When you hit something in a reluctant safety environment: a near miss.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Devor posted:

If you want to make a tractor, you've got to break some legs

Worst part is that person finally got a fun job and now will never be allowed to do it again.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ekuNNN posted:

That's because in France you're covered by the union agreements even if you're not a member:

French union membership is at about 8 percent in this picture

In regards to salaries and vacation etc. that is basically the norm in Sweden too, yet here people join the unions anyway. One major reason for that is because you get extra unemployment benefits if you are member of a union.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ola posted:

Near miss mostly means that nobody actually was hurt but could have been. Usually doesn't imply any comment about equipment or product damage. Also gently caress management and gently caress scabs.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Taerkar posted:

Typical. They don't actually address the underlying problem.

Look, they won't let that particular dweeb drive a tractor any more. Problem solved.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Source4Leko posted:

Also gently caress management and gently caress scabs.

these workers aren't scabs. scabs are people who are hired to replace striking workers. what deere did is move workers from the white collar environment to the floor, which is a great way to piss off all of your salaried, non-union workers while the union is on strike. accountants, project managers, and customer support are going to be looking for the exits the longer this goes on

https://twitter.com/JonahFurman/status/1449027138783436805

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

"ok we need all the white collar people to scab the blue collar people" is an interesting way to admit that white collar jobs aren't real

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Ok then gently caress management.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

they're not scabs, they're just filling the striking people's jobs.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Look, they won't let that particular dweeb drive a tractor any more. Problem solved.

Time to try someone from marketing instead!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

PurpleXVI posted:

A union that isn't striking is a union that isn't working. If there are no strikes, that means employers are never getting challenged on anything and things are being left to business-as-usual. Anything they're willing to give workers is far less than what workers need and deserve. Hell, I've had it up to here with my own quite European union because they're so loving proud of always "talking things out" with the employers, i.e. never making any kind of change or having any kind of vision for the future.

gently caress them.

wait when do they work then

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/6TjXuBN.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

zegermans posted:

they're not scabs, they're just filling the striking people's jobs.

they're loving scabs, gently caress em.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ola posted:

They nearly missed the obstacle!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/FObBzXx.mp4

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

OSHA STATUS: Violation

1910.266(e)(1)(iii)
The employer shall assure that each tool is used only for purposes for which it has been designed.

Those boots were made for walking.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

LifeSunDeath posted:

they're loving scabs, gently caress em.

they're not, but i get the feeling you're going to hold other people responsible for your own lack of understanding re: labor terminology

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

zegermans posted:

"ok we need all the white collar people to scab the blue collar people" is an interesting way to admit that white collar jobs aren't real

A lot of the white collar work can be delayed for a short time or is reliant on the blue collar work being done in the first place. R&D can always be put on hold in the short term, but you'll pay for it in spades years down the line when you don't have any new products to sell (and a lot of the R&D folks are used to having a pseudo-manufacturing setup for R&D anyway). Some of the finance staff are in less demand when workers stop working and the volume of sales/etc. drops. Sales/marketing staff become less important when there's nothing to sell, and, of course, the people who manage the blue collar workers don't have anyone to manage. There's probably a half-dozen other groups of people who could be freed up to go work in the factory.

That all being said, they're going to be awful at it even if they do try hard, and it's something that will gently caress up the company for years down the line. However, some big brain manager decided that loving the business over years down the line won't matter, and here we are.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/vdpmJ4Q.mp4

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
it is Very Funny that JD is trying to take accountants and marketing guys or whatever and put them on the floor but I hope nobody gets hurt in an unfamiliar environment

I do hope that they're all sandbagging as hard as they can though lol

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

When you gotta go, you gotta go.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Monkey Fracas posted:

it is Very Funny that JD is trying to take accountants and marketing guys or whatever and put them on the floor but I hope nobody gets hurt in an unfamiliar environment

I do hope that they're all sandbagging as hard as they can though lol

Unless they’re bootlicking scum I can’t imagine that they’re thrilled to suddenly become unskilled factory workers let alone pawns in the board’s efforts to gently caress their coworkers

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Play this game with my cousin and their friends. Except that you need to be hold a beer and you drink if your nail gets hit.
P

Cartoon Man posted:

Can the thread move on to literally any other discussion?

https://i.imgur.com/Hq5PVZB.mp4

Putting their hands under a suspended load. :yikes:

Holy poo poo!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Not gonna lie, the production values of Doctor Who went down the shitter post-Brexit.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

it's staying between the lines at least

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/trL2GQv.mp4

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

That's gonna leave some skid marks

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

OSHA STATUS: VIOLATION

1910.136(a)
General requirements. The employer shall ensure that each affected employee uses protective footwear when working in areas where there is a danger of foot injuries due to falling or rolling objects, or objects piercing the sole, or when the use of protective footwear will protect the affected employee from an electrical hazard, such as a static-discharge or electric-shock hazard, that remains after the employer takes other necessary protective measures.

Air Jordan does not make a steel toed boot.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Dirk the Average posted:

A lot of the white collar work can be delayed for a short time or is reliant on the blue collar work being done in the first place. R&D can always be put on hold in the short term, but you'll pay for it in spades years down the line when you don't have any new products to sell (and a lot of the R&D folks are used to having a pseudo-manufacturing setup for R&D anyway). Some of the finance staff are in less demand when workers stop working and the volume of sales/etc. drops. Sales/marketing staff become less important when there's nothing to sell, and, of course, the people who manage the blue collar workers don't have anyone to manage. There's probably a half-dozen other groups of people who could be freed up to go work in the factory.

That all being said, they're going to be awful at it even if they do try hard, and it's something that will gently caress up the company for years down the line. However, some big brain manager decided that loving the business over years down the line won't matter, and here we are.

the c levels all have their golden parachutes anyways why should they care about the people below them

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Some OwnSHA from work today. Admiral Joeslop will appreciate this. Look at the pictures and it will become immediately obvious what I do.

Anyways, mondo order today for the warrior women that are not Nordic. Below is what the 16ft. trailer looked like after four stops. It was to the door when I left the depot, even leaving behind all my extra equipment and any product I didn't think I needed.

But wait, we're not done. I straight up ran out of room and had to put two layers of cases like so:

Dragged all that poo poo through downtown Tampa during morning rush hour. Backing up blindside 90° around corners inside buildings and all. The truck will do it, I modified it specifically to get through days like this.

The beginning of the day was a bit sporty. I dialed up the brake controller and took it easy, avoiding highways. Had to unload poo poo just to unload other poo poo. Whatever, it just takes more time.

(No photography at customer location, so you'll have to trust my description of events)

Those warrior women than are not Nordic? They live in a warehouse with no ground level dock access. Had to push around 3500lbs of product, 300lbs at a time, up a ramp that takes six turns to reach dock height, through a door, and then an 1/8 of a mile through the building, where people are working, to stage it in recieving.

I got there about an hour before the appointment time. It took an hour just to unload and shove that poo poo in the door, so that worked out. The recieving staff about poo poo a brick when I told them how much I had coming in.

"I have 17 today. Where do you want them?"

"17?! Hey, guys, this dude has 17 stacks coming in! Where the gently caress am I going to put it? Oh well, big shift change today, they'll just have to deal with it."

Never seen someone help me so quickly to avoid having to do the other half of the work themselves. Smiles and apologies, workers scurrying out of the way.

gently caress it. We can see their orders, but can't modify them at all. That's on them. One way delivery, no returns. Glancing around the warehouse, seeing how they treat the product, half that poo poo will be so damaged as to be unsaleable.

Hell of a workout though.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

madeintaipei posted:

Glancing around the warehouse, seeing how they treat the product, half that poo poo will be so damaged as to be unsaleable.

This has been my experience in every temporary warehouse job I ever worked.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I’m a little Port-a-Pot
Short and stout.
Here is my shitter,
Here's my piss spout.
When I get riding through the storm
Hear me shout:
Tip me over
And pour me out!

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I’m a little Port-a-Pot
Short and stout.
Here is my shitter,
Here's my piss spout.
When I get riding through the storm
Hear me shout:
Tip me over
And pour me out!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

This has been my experience in every temporary warehouse job I ever worked.

Oh, they know this.

I, myself, am a fill-in person for independent contractors.

Let's say I saw the old warrior women that are not Nordic warehouse before Covid, where everything ran like diarrhea through greased silk underwear. Now? 20x the building, 20x the volume and there is no time. No time to fix mistakes, no time to think about the work, no time to be safe. Just throwing money at the problem, results be damned.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/tHxrdl8.gifv

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

I audibly breathed in a gasp at that near miss. JFC people are stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009