Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Your Computer posted:

yeah, you just do those out of a freefall, all you gotta do is time your b press

How does one keep the shinespark after using it? All I can do is use it and lose it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

TeaJay posted:

How does one keep the shinespark after using it? All I can do is use it and lose it.

If you shinespark into a slope, you re-start your run and can re-save it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

yeah, you just do those out of a freefall, all you gotta do is time your b press

I've like always had to press Y+B istead of just B or Samus starts Space Jumping instead of initiating the midair shinespark

it feels weird

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

I've like always had to press Y+B istead of just B or Samus starts Space Jumping instead of initiating the midair shinespark

it feels weird

Let go of the stick first

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

brand engager posted:

yeah, this

just let go of the stick and fall straight down. if you hold a direction you'll spin

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

brand engager posted:

god I like swear this didn't work

I probably tried to go from letting go of stick --> pressing B too fast or something

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Some weird level design choices aside (hidden destroyable blocks blocking progression is a terrible idea), this is the best Metroid game since zero mission.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

stev posted:

Re: the water boss, after working out the button thing the only issue I had was dodging the big tentacle attack in time. Aiming and firing the grapple hook under pressure is a real weak spot for me. My fingers just forget what to do.

all i did was hang on the ceiling thing when i saw him winding up his big attack. i mean, i guess it's a damage loss or w/e but it's not like that really matters in this instance.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Your Computer posted:

https://i.imgur.com/DYClwJG.mp4

the second boost still seems like putting on airs here, but I'm a little bit shocked at the "freefall" thing. I'm realizing now that I don't think I ever "freefall" naturally. I think my default behaviour at the edge of any platform is to hop or slide, even when just going down and also definitely always seem to be moving in a direction at the same time. cool gif cant wait for work to be over.

Darko posted:

I've been taking my time through this and being thorough. Got to the underwater boss yesterday, died once after being hugely annoyed at how slow I moved underwater, started dicking around and figured out how to go around even fighting it by path breaking. I'm avoiding watching speedruns and such because I'm trying to have fun figuring out my own ways to maximize the game and break paths, but is there anything I need from this fight because my path break doesn't exactly seem intended?

I'd implore you to give the boss one other shot. My first try I also thought he was annoying and that it was probably meant for later when I had some upgrade or something. I gave it another shot and noticed like one thing I didn't the first time, and got through the next couple phases quickly and "figured him out." Third try I beat it without it even really getting to do any of its attacks at all and it was really satisfying. It's basically a little puzzle.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
It's kind of funny how everyone (including me) flails around on that boss for the first couple attempts with no idea what to do, even though the boss signals pretty clearly what's going on in the preceding cutscene.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
After dying like 5 times to the underwater boss due to the grapple platform not moving quickly enough and blasting the green button for 15 seconds straight not doing anthing, i finally paused the game and went to look up a video for what to loving do on this dumb rear end boss

Turns out the game doesn't want you to blast the button with missiles (since with 100+ missiles, i basically have the R button pernamently pressed in any boss fight), but wants you to beam it
while the button reacts and the wheel turns when missiling, the water never actually drops

Huge BM imo

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Damnit, on my 2nd playthrough and at 3:13 after just getting back to Burenia after the screw-attack. Don't think there is anyway I'm gonna make the 4hr mark :(

Have been playing it pretty straight on the intended route, although I did take the shortcut from the green teleporter to the gravity suit rather than go the long way, so did early gravity suit path but at the time I was supposed to be getting it.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 15, 2021

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

HenryEx posted:

After dying like 5 times to the underwater boss due to the grapple platform not moving quickly enough and blasting the green button for 15 seconds straight not doing anthing, i finally paused the game and went to look up a video for what to loving do on this dumb rear end boss

Turns out the game doesn't want you to blast the button with missiles (since with 100+ missiles, i basically have the R button pernamently pressed in any boss fight), but wants you to beam it
while the button reacts and the wheel turns when missiling, the water never actually drops

Huge BM imo

I have to ask, did you missile every time those same buttons showed up elsewhere?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I can't remember the last time those showed up in a boss battle, and tbh i can't even remember the last time they showed up anywhere. It even took me like 2 attempts to even notice the thing in the first place. I just eventually saw it and thought "hey these probably do something"

edit: i guess the closest association i have is the exit door locks for the omega beam bosses, and you need to blast those with a big boom

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 15, 2021

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

CuddleCryptid posted:

Just realizing now, Samus was orphaned young and then raised by birds. Did the Chozo teach her about mascara or did she get to the Federation and have them go "hmm nice armor but yknow your eyes don't really 'pop', why don't you swing by Corporal Roxy at Space Kohls and she can get you sorted"

It's her chozo DNA infusion, she's part secretary bird.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Great Beer posted:

hidden destroyable blocks blocking progression is a terrible idea

Jaffe, is that you

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Your Computer posted:

fwiw you never have to do a single shinespark this way in the entire game, none of the puzzles require it

Wait, what's the "intended" way for that one speedbooster wall in the upper left corner of Dairon then? It sure looked like the game wanted you to charge a shinespark in the left room, where the elevator is, slide under the wall, dash onto the ramp, store then morphball into shinesparking a ramp and pinballing off the wall? I kept trying it but got so sick of failing that I just ended up pinballing off the wall from the bottom of that room up to that speedbooster wall at the top.

I'm pretty sure this isn't the intended way because the first jump awkwardly hits the edge of the first ledge but still keeps going.

Marluxia fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 15, 2021

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Marluxia posted:

Wait, what's the "intended" way for that one speedbooster wall in the upper left corner of Dairon then? It sure looked like the game wanted you to charge a shinespark in the left room, where the elevator is, slide under the wall, dash onto the ramp, store then morphball into shinesparking a ramp and pinballing off the wall? I kept trying it but got so sick of failing that I just ended up pinballing off the wall from the bottom of that room up to that speedbooster wall at the top.

I'm pretty sure this isn't the intended way because the first jump awkwardly hits the edge of the first ledge but still keeps going.

is that the one in the frozen room? because uh, i did that in the dumbest way possible and probably not the intended way but i sure didn't need to do a mid-air shinespark :pram:

https://i.imgur.com/MbFwL53.mp4

(the ball at the end was an accidental input)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

chumbler posted:

I have to ask, did you missile every time those same buttons showed up elsewhere?

Where else do those buttons show up? I haven't 100% the game but that arena was the only place I remember encountering red buttons that you shoot to turn them green.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Your Computer posted:

https://i.imgur.com/DYClwJG.mp4

Thats basically how I did this one too. Except I stored the 2nd shinespark before the second narrow passage since I could never consistently get the slide to work well (I kept losing the speedboost)
You still get plenty of time to slide, freefall and spark into the slope again.
Pretty sure this one took me the most tries out of any of them...

Meanwhile I dont even remember how I did the Dairon puzzle.

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 15, 2021

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

uPen posted:

Where else do those buttons show up? I haven't 100% the game but that arena was the only place I remember encountering red buttons that you shoot to turn them green.

I just started a hard mode run and there's definitely like at least two once you get spider grip. Don't even have morph yet to give an indication of how early I am

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In addition to the Burenia one posted earlier, the Artaria and Ferenia ones that you have to do wall jumps and slides in were fun and felt good to get after a lot of failed attempts. The Artaria one in particular was good for learning how speed booster wall jumps actually work.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

raven beak is very strong and handsome and could kick samus' rear end

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Your Computer posted:

is that the one in the frozen room? because uh, i did that in the dumbest way possible and probably not the intended way but i sure didn't need to do a mid-air shinespark :pram:

drat, I kept trying this, but I guess my space-jumping just wasn't fast enough. I had to re-start my timer with the ramp mid-air.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Your Computer posted:

The intended method for that one doesn't involve any midair shinesparking

it involves pinballing against basically every wall in that room while at top speed

you can even use it to get super missiles early! :eng101:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

So I've seen a few people posting about emulating the Prime trilogy with mouse and keyboard which I'm kind of tempted to try even though I've completed all of those games a couple of times over now.

However, I never completed Other M despite buying it on launch day (I think I dropped it somewhere around the infamous Varia suit moment). Would it be possible to do some kind of nightmare controller mapping in Dolphin that would put that game's mess of a control scheme onto a standard controller? Or if I really am determined to put myself through this should I just dig my Wii out of the loft?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

ADAM posted:

raven beak is very strong and handsome and could kick samus' rear end

:hmmyes:

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

flashing area on the map means "you missed something", right? does it necessarily have to be something you can get with your current kit? I just got the morph ball, there's flashing patches all over but I feel like I've shot missiles at every pixel without any joy.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Gato posted:

flashing area on the map means "you missed something", right? does it necessarily have to be something you can get with your current kit? I just got the morph ball, there's flashing patches all over but I feel like I've shot missiles at every pixel without any joy.

it means "an item is here", and not necessarily something you can get right now.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

TaurusOxford posted:

it means "an item is here", and not necessarily something you can get right now.

It'll also sometimes light up one room when the item is in the adjacent room that you haven't gotten to yet.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Your Computer posted:

holy crap I didn't think you'd have enough time for that. I was thinking of, and did, the big space below that but now that I've seen it, you could probably pinball from there more easily than the way I did it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Party Boat posted:

So I've seen a few people posting about emulating the Prime trilogy with mouse and keyboard which I'm kind of tempted to try even though I've completed all of those games a couple of times over now.

However, I never completed Other M despite buying it on launch day (I think I dropped it somewhere around the infamous Varia suit moment). Would it be possible to do some kind of nightmare controller mapping in Dolphin that would put that game's mess of a control scheme onto a standard controller? Or if I really am determined to put myself through this should I just dig my Wii out of the loft?

It'll probably work fine given that the motion controls were piss poorly implemented anyway. Especially if you use the Other M Maxximum Edition mod which lets you fire missiles in third person view.

The question is, why would you want to play Other M.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It'll probably work fine given that the motion controls were piss poorly implemented anyway. Especially if you use the Other M Maxximum Edition mod which lets you fire missiles in third person view.

It's not a bad game if you uh, completely ignore the plot. It's not a GOOD game but it's not that bad.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Other M 2: Another M

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

in as much a non-spoilery response as possible can anyone tell me if there's ANY sort of comeuppance/consequence to what Samus did at the end of Fusion? I'm at the point where it's after I got the speed booster and had a cutscene a bit later which made me think it won't be addressed, which would be super lame.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Just beat the lava boss and had a lava boss question:

The game told me that if I do a spinny jump while holding a full charge, I’ll do a screw attack. But I noticed the screw attack didn’t seem to work on Kraid’s bouncy balls. Are there projectiles it does work on? Does it only work on creatures that aren’t in an attack animation?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Your Computer posted:

I did the same thing, haha.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

FAT BATMAN posted:

Just beat the lava boss and had a lava boss question:

The game told me that if I do a spinny jump while holding a full charge, I’ll do a screw attack. But I noticed the screw attack didn’t seem to work on Kraid’s bouncy balls. Are there projectiles it does work on? Does it only work on creatures that aren’t in an attack animation?

It does the same damage as a full Charge Beam shot would, and I think those take more then one charged shot to kill

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The "pseudo screw attack" from the charge beam works on anything insofar as it does the damage of a single charge beam attack (or probably a bit less) to whatever you jump into. If said whatever doesn't get killed by the damage, you will take damage from jumping into the whatever though because it gives no invulnerability.

Since most of your damage upgrades are "shoot more beams at once" or " beam impact does additional explosions" and the like, the damage from a single normal charge beam that the pseudo screw attack has is very underwhelming very quickly after you get it. It's mostly useful to jump through beam blocks without stopping or maybe weak clouds of the swarm critters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Curiosity? I've completed most of the Metroid series in one form or another (Zero Mission and AM2R in place of the first two, and I need to get a Switch for Dread) so part of me sees it as something I should do if I'm going to call myself a Metroid fan. That mod sounds interesting though, I'll take a look at it.