Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Arven posted:

Didn't Fury Road kind of prove you don't have to explain lore details to an audience? Anyone who cares about the details is probably smart enough to fill in the gaps themselves.

Also the original Star Wars explains nothing in 1977 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

oh neat, a birthday gift for me

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

sean10mm posted:

There was an opening crawl which sets the scene at least

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

sean10mm posted:

that's because it was filmed a long time ago in a galaxy far away

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Original Star Wars explains a good bit about itself tbh. Both in terms of clunky expository dialogue and unspoken obvious stuff like droids=slaves or the empire being racist/sexist as hell

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The scene where vader is talking to the admirals in particular delivers a ton of exposition, it's just done fairly well so your brain may not have noticed

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just got my Dune tickets

Going Dolby

Very excited (to get covid)

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

The Bloop posted:

Just got my Dune tickets

Going Dolby

Very excited (to get covid)

got a costume? Stilsuit, or just a belt

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Got my tickets for next Friday. 10am IMAX showing.

I bought out every seat next to me just to be COVID safe. 9 Tickets for 1 guy. LOL

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I bought out every seat next to me just to be COVID safe. 9 Tickets for 1 guy. LOL

somebody is going to move into those seats after it starts from their lovely corner seat and you are either going to have to cause a ruckus during the movie or just deal with it

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ChairmanMauzer posted:

should have bought a stilsuit

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

got a costume? Stilsuit, or just a belt

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

just the belt. got it
:wink:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Got my imax tickets for next Thursday. We have beefswelling the likes of which God has never seen. Believe me, the sleeper has awakened, if you know what I mean.

My only concern is Brolin. Watching the "Im not in the mood" training scene that was released...well, one can't fault him for not living up to Stewart, but he can be such a wooden actor, as he seems here.

Also just reread Dune through God Emperor. GEOD is so good; going to stop there though

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Admiralty Flag posted:

My only concern is Brolin. Watching the "Im not in the mood" training scene that was released...well, one can't fault him for not living up to Stewart, but he can be such a wooden actor, as he seems here.
BROLIN: (to Villeneuve) I am smiling.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

priznat posted:

Yeah that was super unfortunate. Also the guy who did the golden age trilogy who went militant catholic.

But the golden age was right wing garbage already??

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Spazzle posted:

it's basically Objectivist sci fi. the big bad is a stand in for totalitarian communism. lmao

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I can’t wait any longer. I’m gonna cheat by taking a lethal dose of melange and watching the movie in my prescient vision

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's not here until 2 december :emo:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Spazzle posted:

uber_stoat posted:

it's basically Objectivist sci fi. the big bad is a stand in for totalitarian communism. lmao

Was it? drat that sailed right over my head, I thought it had some pretty neat stuff especially the layers of mind uploads and sensory filters, etc. And the AI minds.

Now that I think about it yeah I guess so, I can’t even remember what the ghost mind or whatever was trying to do other than stop the guy from taking off in his spaceship. It’s been ages since I read it.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

It's not here until 2 december :emo:

you could always read the book again

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It'll be on :filez: moments after it's HBO premiere

Like, I'd still definely see it in theaters but I'm not sure I could wait that long without going mad from spoiler memes and such

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

The Bloop posted:

It'll be on :filez: moments after it's HBO premiere

Like, I'd still definely see it in theaters but I'm not sure I could wait that long without going mad from spoiler memes and such

if your worried about spoilers, you could just not go on the internet for a few days

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

if your worried about spoilers, you could just not go on the internet for a few days

Sssssandworms? Worms, in the sand? Would have loved to find out about that for myself!!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

Sssssandworms? Worms, in the sand? Would have loved to find out about that for myself!!

the movie comes out on the 20th, and the book is like 40 years old.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

the movie comes out on the 20th, and the book is like 40 years old.

Well thanks for ruining sand worms. What's next, a human the becomes a worm? With no dick??

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I was referring to the situation of having to wait over a month.

And yes, we know basically what's in it, but that feels like an argument for not seeing it at all as much as for not caring about spoilers

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Dune is also about how capable women get screwed over repeatedly by men existing.

E: that's why Chani saying "History will call us Wives" is not meant only as an own on Irulan.

It can also be Chani acknowledging that her identity will be lost to history as 'just a wife of the emperor'.

It's Jessica saying it to Chani yo

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I thought that post was tongue in cheek but if not…. yeesh

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Look, I didn't write it and I didn't remember it clearly, but I don't think it's exactly far-fetched that a woman in the dune universe knows she won't get a whole lot of agency over her legacy.

Jessica was purchased.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kiimo posted:

Just saw from my former coworkers at WB on linkedin that we can expect that second movie for sure now.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/dune-opening-weekend-shang-chi-global-international-box-office-1234839288/

Popoto posted:

Guys, girls, stop celebrating: the movie is going to be garbage and bomb

Galewolf posted:

This movie is going to bomb so hard that the next reboot will be shot in the actual Corrino reign.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Dune is going to make like 15 million dollars at the box office is gonna be just the biggest flop you can imagine

euphronius posted:

We are never getting dune 2

suck on my loving worm

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I don't, I refuse to believe there's actually a book called "Paul of Dune".

@duneauthor's books actually come before Frank's in the bookstore, outnumber them, are physically larger, and tend to be displayed rather prominently

it's a loving curse

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

suck on my loving worm

It’s gonna bomb SO hard. No one cares about your weird sci fi movie centered around drugs and loving psychic weirdo women. You think a movie that doesn’t have Marvel’s logo is going to make money lol. Just pathetic copium.

Disney supremacy4life.

I would be surprised if it makes even a -quarter- of its cost back. The strong reviews lauding its artistry is already a sign the general public will hate it.

Stop deluding yourself.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Popoto posted:

It’s gonna bomb SO hard. No one cares about your weird sci fi movie centered around drugs and loving psychic weirdo women. You think a movie that doesn’t have Marvel’s logo is going to make money lol. Just pathetic copium.

Disney supremacy4life.

I would be surprised if it makes even a -quarter- of its cost back. The strong reviews lauding its artistry is already a sign the general public will hate it.

Stop deluding yourself.

wrap it up duncailures

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Popoto posted:

Disney supremacy4life.

Stop deluding yourself.

Nice meltdown

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
It could bomb, only some sort of knowing beforehand technique could tell us. Like previous... sensing... idk, I'm gonna wait and see

Also did anyone figure out if the jump ahead HBO is doing its merely coincidental with the Netflix walkout? Doubt Netflix is going to lose availability or anything. Might have been posted but I'd have to pay attention to poo poo

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
lmao imagine worrying about dune spoilers at this point. Take the water of life you cowards

HBO release is literally shooting box office numbers in the back of the head. If you were trying to track the success of Dune via it's opening night financials you can now go gently caress yourself (which you probably should have just done to begin with)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

yo word up imma be watching this movie exactly 7 days from now. that cool with you all?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Don't know why you're waiting an extra day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Nothing beats the cinematic experience of watching D U N E on a smudged laptop screen while flicking through facebook on a phone and eating noodles with a plastic fork