Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I missed the charging stations talk a page or two back but I just wanted to post up what we have here at the hospital I work at.

4 of these showed up suddenly when we got a new CEO who coincidently drives a Tesla Model 3. Supposedly Duke Energy is doing some sort of study and provided them to the hospital for free, but really I think the CEO basically said, get me a way to charge while I'm at work, and as most CEO's know, they get what they want.

They are not fast, I'm currently charging at a blistering 6 kW, but I can't complain really. It is completely free to charge and there are only a handful of us here at the hospital that have EVs and I've never not been able to get on one of them. So basically I'll start charging when I get in in the morning, go home for lunch and if I need to charge some more, plug her back in for the rest of the day.

These "should" show up in the GreenLots app, but half the time they don't and I think that's because since they are set in free mode, there is nothing stopping a random EV driver from pulling up and using these. They aren't behind any kind of gated entrance nor is there any security checking to make sure you work at the hospital to use it, especially during the weekends when there less people here.

Just wanted to post about another type of charging station out there. My home electric bill appreciates rarely having to charge at home, and usually never during the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The fact you have to download an app in the first place and can't just scan the QR code to open a website where you enter your payment details seems needlessly complicated.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I like that the sticker with the crucial connection details is peeling and fading. Write down the IDs so you can charge with the secret password when the stickers are gone!

But yeah, sipping on Mode 3 while doing something else like sleeping, working, visiting a museum etc is great.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Is the highway passing acceleration actually slow?
Or just slower than it should be for a car with that hp and torque?
Having a slow highway passing speed is the worst and would make me turn down a car. I’ve had too many slow vehicles in my life and having to either risk a pass or wait forever sucks.

50-80 is fine. It doesn't set my socks on fire but it's okay. Past 80 I would say it starts getting legit slow. It'll still get you past a 55 mph driving motorhome on a 2 lane highway fine though.

You see a lot of people on the mach e forum arguing about whether it's really bad or not and most of the people saying it's fine their last car was a Prius and most of the people saying it sucks their last(other) car was(is) a performance car (I also have a 2012 GT500).

IIRC from some of the dragy times posted on the mach-e forum (since we don't have any professional review 1/4 mile times yet), the Mach-E GT goes from 87 mph in the 1/8th to ~101 mph in the 1/4 in about 4.5 seconds.

An Accord 2.0t goes from 80 to 100 in about 5 seconds.

A Mustang GT that runs 13 flat (i.e. slower than the Mach-E) does 90-115 in around 4.3 seconds.

It's pretty slow past 80.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

The fact you have to download an app in the first place and can't just scan the QR code to open a website where you enter your payment details seems needlessly complicated.

Ya, and sometimes the app is kinda flakey and won't actually start the charger.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

bird with big dick posted:

1703.1 mile review of the Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition

tldr; It's a good car probably even a very good car but it's so close to being a really great car it's really annoying that it isn't.

Why it's better than a Model Y
It has TWO screens, one of which is directly in front of the driver!
Has consistent panel gaps, can be driven through puddles.
Interior is just better. Better materials. Looks nicer. Better designed.
Ford's door handle solution while kind of needlessly complex vs a regular door handle is a million times better than Tesla's needlessly complex door handle.
Doesn't look like an unlicensed car from GTA3 with a duck snout grafted onto it.
Insurance is 20 bucks a month cheaper.
Doesn't cost 2 grand to get red or 1 grand to get blue.
0-40ish acceleration is better.
Handling is better. I'm not a big handling guy which is good because they're both 4500+ pound pigs but the Tesla will go around corners but the Mustang feels like it actually wants to go around corners. It just feels tighter and better balanced. There's a 150 degree turn near my house and hammering the throttle at the apex and feeling the awd claw through the corner is a real joy.
Made by a company with a history of nazi collaboration rather than apartheid emerald mining.

Why it's worse than a Model Y
No heat pump but doesn't really impact me so I don't give a poo poo.
Supercharging network and charging speeds are better but I don't really give a poo poo.
Ford's acceleration past ~60 sucks poo poo.
Ford's infotainment is kinda laggy and not as well designed.
Made by a company with a history of apartheid emerald mining rather than nazi collaboration.

poo poo that's just wrong with the Ford
Not having ventilated seats at this price point is just embarrassing.
Paint seems kinda thin. Some people (including me) having problems with the headlight contacting the bumper cover and scraping the paint off.

Nearly the only thing that keeps me from thinking this is the perfect car is the acceleration at/past highway speeds. The disparity between 0-60 and 60-100 is just jarring. You expect some of this with an EV but not like this. I recently re-test drove a MYP just to make sure I wasn't remembering incorrectly and I'm not. With the MYP you punch it at 60 and it pushes you back in your seat and keeps pushing you back in your seat. With the Ford it pushes you back in your seat for 1 second and then dribbles liquid poo poo down its metaphorical leg while it slowly trundles past 80.

There's two possible explanations for this acceleration disparity, I think. One is that Ford designed a cheesedick cooling system that just can't handle heat extraction for the amount of power the car generates. Two is that Tesla's system really isn't any better, they're just far more willing to abuse their batteries and take a gamble on future warranty claims. Maybe a little from column A and a little from column B. But I believe Tesla actually has some history with the latter so I'm leaning in that direction as the primary difference.

Which means that Ford could potentially loosen up a little and give the car back some high end horsepower, and if they did it, for me, would make this into a really great car. I want it basically exactly the way it is, but to run like 11.95 @ 114 or something. I think the best anyone has gotten so far is 12.36 @ 104 which is just crazy that it's that quick of an ET with that slow of a trap speed.

I'm not counting on Ford doing that though. I hope they do, but I bet they don't. Too old and stodgy and scared of warranty claims. But I think I've decided I'm keeping the car anyway. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good.

Thank you for this. Good stuff.
Also laughing at "Not having ventilated seats at this price point is just embarrassing."

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
BWABD is not having the supercharger network not that much of a negative for the mach e over the MY? Or not including beefs with the infrastructure in that review perhaps.

That’s something that is a definite plus for Tesla, for me.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Here's how bad the charging situation is, along I15 from SoCal to Vegas.

From the last charging stations in Barstow to the Strip it's 150miles and those are hilly miles. So you want to top-off in Baker which is just 88 miles from the strip. Mind you when we got to Vegas we had another 50 miles of driving to the evening's activities. But in Baker only EVGo is working, ElectrifyAmerica is down for repairs (surprise!). And when we got to the EvGo I had to find a working charger (not all were working).

There was a guy with a base-level Porsche Taycan (awesome car) and that only has 200 miles of range fully charged (note, at fast chargers most people only charge to 80% because charging slows down after that etc.) If he hadn't found a working charger he would have been in trouble.

I at least had enough charge to get to a station in Vegas if Baker was down and Kia doesn't BS on the estimated range. Even with the hills and fast driving (80-85mph) it wasn't far off.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

There's two possible explanations for this acceleration disparity, I think. One is that Ford designed a cheesedick cooling system that just can't handle heat extraction for the amount of power the car generates. Two is that Tesla's system really isn't any better, they're just far more willing to abuse their batteries and take a gamble on future warranty claims. Maybe a little from column A and a little from column B. But I believe Tesla actually has some history with the latter so I'm leaning in that direction as the primary difference.

Which means that Ford could potentially loosen up a little and give the car back some high end horsepower, and if they did it, for me, would make this into a really great car. I want it basically exactly the way it is, but to run like 11.95 @ 114 or something. I think the best anyone has gotten so far is 12.36 @ 104 which is just crazy that it's that quick of an ET with that slow of a trap speed.

I'm not counting on Ford doing that though. I hope they do, but I bet they don't. Too old and stodgy and scared of warranty claims. But I think I've decided I'm keeping the car anyway. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good.

These explanations confuse me. The cooling explanation should be testable right? Just go slow to 80, then try to punch it, if it's still slow, it shouldn't have any excessive heat in whatever component is the limiter. On the battery side, I the only difference is air resistance right?, so there's no real reason 0-60 would be shorter than 60-80,

I think it's more likely that all the components and motor controller waveforms have been designed for the regular mach -e with a tight focus on efficiency as EPA range and not on roll on acceleration.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Bone Crimes posted:

These explanations confuse me. The cooling explanation should be testable right? Just go slow to 80, then try to punch it, if it's still slow, it shouldn't have any excessive heat in whatever component is the limiter.

It goes 50-70 quicker rolling on than it does as 50-70 being part of a quarter mile. We know cooling is a part of it what we don't really know is if it's just a lovely cooling system or if Ford is just being shittily conservative. And we know it's a part of it, but we don't know if it's ALL of it or if Ford also specced out motors and gear ratios that make the GT blow its entire wad 0-60 and it's really starting to run out of steam past 80.

quote:

On the battery side, I the only difference is air resistance right?, so there's no real reason 0-60 would be shorter than 60-80,

Huh?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

priznat posted:

BWABD is not having the supercharger network not that much of a negative for the mach e over the MY? Or not including beefs with the infrastructure in that review perhaps.

That’s something that is a definite plus for Tesla, for me.

I've only done a few trips where I needed to charge and Electrify America has largely worked fine for me.

Like, looking at ABRP a Tesla would likely get me to my Mom's house 600 miles away 30 minutes or so quicker but who really gives a poo poo, it's still three stops they're just 15-22 minutes instead of 21-39 minutes or whatever.

If I plug in my dad's address 900 miles away the Tesla makes a bigger difference (2 hours charging vs 3.5 hours) but 2 hours isn't exactly great either and they both kinda push it into "this should really be a two day drive" territory so I'd either just drive one of our gas cars or I'd turn it into a 2 day sight seeing trip which kinda turns the 1.5 hour difference back into a non issue.

For some people the tesla infrastructure probably makes a huge difference, maybe even a lot of people or most people, but for me personally it doesn't matter much so far.

I mean, if I run into a bunch of borked EA chargers and get stranded because of it that'd obviously change my opinion but that hasn't happened yet.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

From a western Euro perspective it wouldn't have made a difference at all to me to have access to Tesla chargers.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
BMW i4M or whatever: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/10/the-2023-bmw-i4-is-the-electric-bmw-sedan-youve-been-waiting-for/

Seems like a heavier but more powerful 4 series but electric fwiiw

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Interesting info on the charger stuff, thanks Bird!

I don’t know what the situation is locally with charger infrastructure but I do see a lot of stations popping up all over with pretty nice looking interfaces you tap a card onto. I believe the brand is “flow”. They are in a lot of parks and community centre parking lots now.

We have crazy cheap electricity here due to a lot of hydro power so it should be pretty good rates.

E: actually it is “Flo”: https://www.flo.com

Any Canucks use these and are they good?

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

It goes 50-70 quicker rolling on than it does as 50-70 being part of a quarter mile. We know cooling is a part of it what we don't really know is if it's just a lovely cooling system or if Ford is just being shittily conservative. And we know it's a part of it, but we don't know if it's ALL of it or if Ford also specced out motors and gear ratios that make the GT blow its entire wad 0-60 and it's really starting to run out of steam past 80.

Ah, that does make sense then that its a cooling (or conservative) thing. That is aggravating.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

mobby_6kl posted:

BMW i4M or whatever: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/10/the-2023-bmw-i4-is-the-electric-bmw-sedan-youve-been-waiting-for/

Seems like a heavier but more powerful 4 series but electric fwiiw

what in the gently caress is going on with that screen? It looks like it has a phone kickstand on the back.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?
Literally the only reason I even consider a Tesla is because they're the only ones with fast chargers at all in my bumblefuck area, the nearest non-tesla options are over 150 miles away. On top of that, I live in a townhouse that I can't cheaply modify to support level 2 charging to my carport, my last electrician quote exceeded 8,000$ and included a required panel and service upgrade.

Anyway so that's why I have a chevy volt that charges from a 20amp gfci that was already there.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Does anyone here have the ID4? The look has grown on me after seeing it in real life. Looking to replace a CRV since the resale value for it is pretty insane. What's your experience with it?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

lostleaf posted:

Does anyone here have the ID4? The look has grown on me after seeing it in real life. Looking to replace a CRV since the resale value for it is pretty insane. What's your experience with it?

I don't have one, but I've driven it and its smaller sibling a fair bit. The infotainment and the steering wheel are a bit annoying, but all in all it's a good car. Efficient, comfortable, practical, hilariously tight turning circle. I think the 360 camera is included in the must-have tech package, that makes it even more practical in tighter spots. I think they might be a bit limited by chip supply now. If you get a used one from the launch you won't get 360 camera but it's not a must anyway.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Franco Caution posted:

what in the gently caress is going on with that screen? It looks like it has a phone kickstand on the back.

That's the next evolutionary step after a tablet flued to the dashboard

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The latest Mach-E GT drama is it looks like the regular GTs are getting the 14.5" discs and correspondingly smaller calipers of the lower trim Mach-E's while the GT Performance Edition is getting the 15.3" discs and bigger calipers. Supposedly Ford has said all the GTs were the same but mostly what I've seen saying they're the same is Brembo marketing material and not from actual Ford, but I haven't looked that deeply into because I have the good ones so gently caress errybody else.

lol

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
Test drove a model Y today, figured I'd share my thoughts:

Things I liked:
Very roomy inside, tons of storage
Everything being on the touchscreen wasn't as awful as I thought it would be
Autopilot was cool, ride was nice, very comfortable

Things I didn't:
Frunk was very hard to close
The turn signal stalk is awful
Can't turn down 1 pedal regen, I like to coast foot off the accelerator drat it

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

Jimong5 posted:

Things I liked:

Things I didn't:

You get used to the stalk and pedals after a few hundred miles. The frunk closing is what it is.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Jimong5 posted:

Things I liked:

Things I didn't:

The 1 pedal regen is second nature after a day or two, you'll be coasting up to stop signs like you normally do in no time. Driving a regular car now feels so unrefined with having to use the actual brake pedal lol

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Test drive a Ford that gives you options when it comes to regen and 1 pedal plus if you misjudge a stopping distance and have to step on the brake pedal the Tesla just gives you friction whereas the Ford just gives you more regen (unless it's into emergency braking territory then you obviously get friction). Like, the complaint wasn't that it's impossible to coast it's that it's nicer to do it foot off which I think is kinda hard to argue with.

And I don't think actual coasting is really that second nature with any 1 pedal system. Ford has actual coasting in Whisper mode with 1 pedal off and I think what most people think of as coasting is actually closer to what an ICE automatic feels like with your foot off the gas which is of course not even close to coasting.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 15, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Test drive a Ford that gives you options when it comes to regen and 1 pedal plus if you misjudge a stopping distance and have to step on the brake pedal the Tesla just gives you friction whereas the Ford just gives you more regen (unless it's into emergency braking territory then you obviously get friction).

On the flip side, when you take your foot of the go pedal in a Tesla, you get a short ramp and then all of the available regen, instead of just some of it. I find that preferable to a mixed brake pedal. (Or GM’s turbo-dumb regen paddles.)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MrYenko posted:

On the flip side, when you take your foot of the go pedal in a Tesla, you get a short ramp and then all of the available regen, instead of just some of it. I find that preferable to a mixed brake pedal. (Or GM’s turbo-dumb regen paddles.)

It's not really all of the available regen though right, it's just all of the available regen in a Tesla. IIRC Porsche's system can do like 3 times the regen of a Tesla but you obviously can only do that with a mixed system, you couldn't do it with Tesla's system.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Like whats the downside of having a mixed system that's the same as teslas up to 70 kw or whatever but then also has more regen available past that plus also gives you a lot more options.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
I will say I’m coming from GM where it’s nice to have the option between one pedal/no regen and blended brakes / full regen paddle

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah it makes no sense that people "don't like" blended braking. If you're into one pedal driving, whatever, but if you press the pedal it's clearly preferable that it goes back into the battery rather than to heat.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
People don't like blended braking because most implementations of it are jerky and uneven. Most of the hybrids I've driven with regen braking have awful transitions in blended mode instead of the smooth feeling mechanical brakes normally give you.

Tesla limiting regen to 70 kW and not doing any additional blended when the brake pedal is pushed likely is done almost entirely to protect the battery instead of being some optimal level for one pedal driving or anything like that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It's not really all of the available regen though right, it's just all of the available regen in a Tesla. IIRC Porsche's system can do like 3 times the regen of a Tesla but you obviously can only do that with a mixed system, you couldn't do it with Tesla's system.

The amount of regen available has nothing to do with how it’s blended with the brakes, it’s a function of the drive motor(s). If the Tesla power units were capable of providing more regen, it would absolutely be possible (and given how Tesla has tuned their cars up to the present day, probable) that it would all be available with no brake pedal input. Porsche could do the same thing, but chooses not to. And don’t get me wrong, it’s absolutely a valid choice, particularly with the intended (track-oriented) audience their EVs are aimed at. That’s kinda my point, this is all software anyway, and I don’t like that poo poo between me and the car. I also loving hate non-linear throttle curves in ICE cars.

knox_harrington posted:

Yeah it makes no sense that people "don't like" blended braking. If you're into one pedal driving, whatever, but if you press the pedal it's clearly preferable that it goes back into the battery rather than to heat.

As it stands with presently available options (that I’m aware of, anyway,) I’m a big proponent of Tesla’s version of one pedal driving. It’s simple, and there is no gray area where you aren’t sure whether you’re in regen or friction. The accelerator controls the powertrain, including 100% of regen, and the brake pedal controls the brakes. Bing bong boop.

If Tesla’s method didn’t exist, I’d actually prefer putting ALL the regen on the brake pedal, which would encourage coasting. As mentioned by several people, pretty much every OE besides Tesla tunes the foot-off-accelerator decel to use a bit of regen and mimic a torque converter ICE. It grates on me just like a CVT with fake shift points. If it serves no purpose but to mimic a different mechanical solution, I don’t want it.

I feel like this is going to be a holy war going forward just like which direction the toilet paper goes. (Away from the wall, obviously.)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Indiana_Krom posted:

People don't like blended braking because most implementations of it are jerky and uneven. Most of the hybrids I've driven with regen braking have awful transitions in blended mode instead of the smooth feeling mechanical brakes normally give you.

Hmm my Kia is pretty much unnoticeable unless you slam on the brakes.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

MrYenko posted:

I feel like this is going to be a holy war going forward just like which direction the toilet paper goes. (Away from the wall, obviously.)

Like anything this needs a nuanced approach. While I agree away from the wall is normally the best approach, if you have kids or especially cats besides the wall is the safer play :haw:

I rode in my first Tesla today, a coworker’s model Y. I quite liked it, tons of room. The display was kind of distracting with the car shapes it detects popping up here and there, and I didn’t like the version of around view. Also the door handles are wack. But overall very nice!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Indiana_Krom posted:

Both the ID.4 and Mach-E seemed fine to me when I test drove them.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
There is a slightly noticeable change over on my Prius prime but it has trained me to be lighter on the brake pedal.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Like whats the downside of having a mixed system that's the same as teslas up to 70 kw or whatever but then also has more regen available past that plus also gives you a lot more options.

knox_harrington posted:

If we're having this dumb discussion again, why do you think there's more regen available in one pedal and not the other? There's obviously a fixed amount of regen available with any given method. Can the battery take 70 kW at any point? Obviously not. But what if you press the other pedal? Still the same battery, it might not be able to take 70 kW no matter which pedal you do this or that with.

Second, do you seriously think all the world's car manufacturers haven't thought of what you're saying?

Third, blended braking does not mean that there's a magic extra battery that can keep the energy when you let off at 100%. Blended braking for driving feeling, which the well hung bird made a crazy spectacular scene of the last time, must obviously mean faking regen when the battery is full and there's nowhere to put the power, by applying friction brakes instead of rolling. If he didn't mean that, he just meant normal EVs that regen when there's room to regen and roll freely when there's no room to regen. There is no other possible thing that thing means, but there is AMPLE room for ignorance.

Last, if by blended braking you simply meant "there's more regen when you press the brake pedal", well then you're just normal ignorant as I suspected all along.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ola posted:

we're having this dumb discussion again

It is one of several pointless Sisyphean debates the thread will continue having periodically until the end times.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ola posted:

If we're having this dumb discussion again, why do you think there's more regen available in one pedal and not the other? There's obviously a fixed amount of regen available with any given method. Can the battery take 70 kW at any point? Obviously not. But what if you press the other pedal? Still the same battery, it might not be able to take 70 kW no matter which pedal you do this or that with.

Second, do you seriously think all the world's car manufacturers haven't thought of what you're saying?

Third, blended braking does not mean that there's a magic extra battery that can keep the energy when you let off at 100%. Blended braking for driving feeling, which the well hung bird made a crazy spectacular scene of the last time, must obviously mean faking regen when the battery is full and there's nowhere to put the power, by applying friction brakes instead of rolling. If he didn't mean that, he just meant normal EVs that regen when there's room to regen and roll freely when there's no room to regen. There is no other possible thing that thing means, but there is AMPLE room for ignorance.

Last, if by blended braking you simply meant "there's more regen when you press the brake pedal", well then you're just normal ignorant as I suspected all along.

lol gently caress your dumb strawman arguments. No I don't think blended braking is magic, don't be a cock.

it's just a bad design decision that Tesla alone have made and bazingas breathlessly claim is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Enough of this dumb regen argument