Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Does anyone have that French sociological essay about how we must ensure that we disgrace and discredit every part of our culture for the sake of future generations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bane mask golem
Sep 16, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Can someone explain why the yellow line goes up after going down and what "atmosphere starts to become toxic due to dinoflagellate toxins" means? https://twitter.com/_ppmv/status/1448725571215708163/photo/1

:suspense:

It means buy a gun now, before supply chains really start breaking down. Who knows, maybe things will miraculously turn around because a nuclear war breaks out... but worst-case, that'll be less painful than spending days or weeks starving to death or dying of thirst when the biosphere goes from dying to "completely dead, gigatons of corpses rotting."

gently caress.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

isnt the garbage patch like the size of texas lol

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Trabisnikof posted:

honestly that GOES paper shows that if anything, this thread needs to get off its lazy rear end, and get some doomerism published in a predatory open access journal somewhere.

like thing of the feather in the cap of "the CSPAM climate thread is actually publishing science, what are you doing?"

i'll be corresponding and last author if someone else writes the paper. if we pick the right pay-to-play journal, they'll probably even let us publish under our forum usernames.

once i'm done learning GIS from the koch brothers climate change denier i would love to help build some doom models for this!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

bane mask golem posted:

It means buy a gun now, before supply chains really start breaking down. Who knows, maybe things will miraculously turn around because a nuclear war breaks out... but worst-case, that'll be less painful than spending days or weeks starving to death or dying of thirst when the biosphere goes from dying to "completely dead, gigatons of corpses rotting."

gently caress.

:rolleyes:

ELTON JOHN posted:

isnt the garbage patch like the size of texas lol

also something like a few particles per cubic metre, it’s pretty hard to gather the poo poo up

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

bobmarleysghost posted:

90% of the ocean dying in 25 years is truly amazing

i wonder which 10% of marine life will be left

jellyfish, blobfish, sea rats, and animal/plastic unspeakables

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

bane mask golem posted:

gently caress.

agreed. your suffocated corpse will make for great environmental storytelling when scavengers are looting your home, and the gun will be an excellent loot drop

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

God Hole posted:

once i'm done learning GIS from the koch brothers climate change denier i would love to help build some doom models for this!

find some climate impacts gis data set, we can then overlay on the population density map and make a death per acre map

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

honestly that GOES paper shows that if anything, this thread needs to get off its lazy rear end, and get some doomerism published in a predatory open access journal somewhere.

like thing of the feather in the cap of "the CSPAM climate thread is actually publishing science, what are you doing?"

i'll be corresponding and last author if someone else writes the paper. if we pick the right pay-to-play journal, they'll probably even let us publish under our forum usernames.

Lol gently caress yeah I love this idea I'll help

bane mask golem
Sep 16, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

agreed. your suffocated corpse will make for great environmental storytelling when scavengers are looting your home, and the gun will be an excellent loot drop

That's why you've gotta inscribe a terrible curse on it, haunted loot is way cooler than normal loot.

But unless there's a sudden, massive eruption of some kind, it won't be the suffocation that kills you. Even if the suffocation is your only problem, and food and water remain plentiful, that won't be a quick or easy death. You'll just go about your day feeling more and more confused... more and more tired... as we slooowly lose breathable atmosphere. At some point, you won't be able to remember how to open doors anymore, but you won't die right away. You'll just sit there, coughing and trying to remember what you were trying to do.

Like a massive fatal stroke in ultra-slow motion, but spread out over days or weeks. Maybe rich psychos with stockpiled SCBAs will start hunting the suffocating masses for sport, who knows.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Can someone explain why the yellow line goes up after going down and what "atmosphere starts to become toxic due to dinoflagellate toxins" means? https://twitter.com/_ppmv/status/1448725571215708163/photo/1

ahahahaha haha holy gently caress this whips rear end god drat

:regd08:

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
CO2 is already loving with our cognitive abilities
https://www.businessinsider.com/carbon-dioxide-indoors-could-reduce-cognitive-abilities-2019-12
  • By the end of the century, indoor carbon dioxide levels could climb so high that they cut human performance on complex cognitive tasks by 50%, according to scientists' calculations.
  • A growing body of research indicates that high levels of carbon dioxide impair human cognition.
  • Curbing carbon emissions from fossil fuels could help prevent these negative effects.

quote:

Similar results have been found in schools. A 2015 study found that, across 140 fifth-grade classrooms in the southwestern US, poor ventilation and high CO2 levels were strongly correlated with lower math scores for students. An earlier study of 434 classrooms in Washington and Idaho found a similar relationship between CO2 levels and rates of student absence.

What's more, a 2018 study in China found that chronic exposure to some types of air pollution (apart from CO2) were linked to detrimental cognitive effects that got worse as participants grew older.
looking forward to this getting exponentially worse

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Try to make it fun imo, include some fun world building diary entries and maybe a puzzle to unlock the loot crate

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
those people that set traps throughout their homes and then die are definitely ahead of the curve

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

bobmarleysghost posted:

jellyfish I assume

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
it's crabs

it's all gonna be crabs

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i'm ok with becoming stupid(er) from oxygen starvation
it should make the end of the world a lot less stressful

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

rabble rabble posted:

it's crabs

it's all gonna be crabs

got some bad news about crustaceans and ocean acidity

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

God Hole posted:

mutant crabs?

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
oceanographers have, in my experience, always been the most doomer-brained scientists

they know

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Trabisnikof posted:

Maybe we could use this classic peer reviewed predatory journal paper as a model: Get Me Off Your loving Mailing List, Mazieres & Kohler 2005. Just do a search and replace to "We're hosed. LOL. LMAO."

mediaphage posted:

:rolleyes:

also something like a few particles per cubic metre, it’s pretty hard to gather the poo poo up

Yeah, I was explaining this to my wife last night. She was under the impression the Great Garbage Patch was more like a discrete island. Media likes the pictures of windrows where tides and current concentrate detritus into dense lines. Trawling those will definitely boost your catch per unit effort but that's not how most of the patch is structured.

There's a lot of force involved in pulling a trawl through the water. Trawl too long and the fish in the end of the net are unrecognizable. It would be interesting to pull a plankton net through the water immediately behind the working trawl and see if by how much it increases the amount of microplastic in the water column. :lol:

And then there's the CO2 generated by the operation. Maybe Bar Ran Dun has an idea of how much fuel a trawler that size uses. A 25 metre fishing vessel goes through about 90 litres per hour. I tried to extrapolate to a 90 metre offshore support vessel but :psyboom:

T-Paine posted:

CO2 is already loving with our cognitive abilities
https://www.businessinsider.com/carbon-dioxide-indoors-could-reduce-cognitive-abilities-2019-12
  • By the end of the century, indoor carbon dioxide levels could climb so high that they cut human performance on complex cognitive tasks by 50%, according to scientists' calculations.
  • A growing body of research indicates that high levels of carbon dioxide impair human cognition.
  • Curbing carbon emissions from fossil fuels could help prevent these negative effects.

I wonder if there's been an uptick in children's cognitive ability during Covid where classes have been held outdoors and windows and doors left open.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Homocow posted:

oceanographers have, in my experience, always been the most doomer-brained scientists

they know

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

sitchensis posted:

Does anyone have that French sociological essay about how we must ensure that we disgrace and discredit every part of our culture for the sake of future generations?
phew at least that part is already taken care of

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

sitchensis posted:

I found it.

This horror film will go to its final paroxysm

”Alain Accardo” posted:

For a well informed mind about the woes of our time, it should be clear that the probability of effectively remedying them is now practically non-existent. This is the most certain result of the last great structural revolution in our history: capitalist globalization, with all its effects, which social theorists had begun to foresee in the 19th century, without yet being able to imagine them in real life, as we have the sad privilege of being able to.

Indeed, throughout the world, throughout the centuries, the state of backwardness and underdevelopment of the primitive populations, the state of fragmentation and disintegration of kingdoms and empires, had still left a possibility of confrontation between "barbaric" fractions (less evolved) and "civilized" fractions (more evolved) of the human species, this dialectic process had maintained the appearance of a civilizational "progress" linked to an effective diversity in the modes of life and organization of the different populations. There were always, somewhere in the oekoumenon, populations decreed "primitive", that it was convenient to draw out of their "primitiveness" (or of their "savagery", or of their "delay" of development), by taking advantage of the occasion to despoil them of their belongings, of their freedom and of their identity, for the greatest happiness of the imperialists and slavers, of all magnitude.

Capitalist globalization has put an end to any declared "primitiveness" of some people in relation to others, by increasingly homogenizing the modes of production, management and existence in all domains, and thus provoking a growing loss of anthropological diversity. Today, from New York to Melbourne, Cape Town, Berlin, London, Moscow or Beijing, the same vital imperatives (economic and cultural) tend to shape the same behavioral stereotypes: even beyond the intentions and wills expressed by one or the other, all have become willing slaves of the consumer society. The objective logic of the structures is always more powerful in the long run, it seems, than the proclaimed intellectual and moral principles. To give just one example, but how eloquent, it suffices to evoke the half-willed, half-submissive inability of the great powers of the planet (all orientations combined) to honor the commitments they have solemnly made and to meet their official objectives in the fight against global warming, which nevertheless threatens their very survival, in the more or less long term.

A reflection on the present state of the world that does not take into account the fundamental fact that the point of no return has been exceeded in decisive areas, would thereby be deprived of relevance. To affirm this is not to play the Cassandra, nor the Savonarola: it is not our "vanities", but our oldest virtues that we have thrown to the stake of modernity and the damage is immeasurable. We can no more turn back the clock on the radioactivity of nuclear waste than on the depletion of rare earths in our mines, or on the retreat of the sacred in our representation of reality. The facts are unequivocal. We can of course always imagine palliatives able to delay, or rather to mask for a while, the deficiencies and threats, but we will not be able to rewind the course of things to replay it differently. This horror movie has to reach its final paroxysm. However, given that these processes are accomplished in a much longer time frame than the average life span of an individual, we can affirm with reasonable assurance that, except for a sudden general conflagration, "the end of the world" is not for tomorrow morning. Only for "some time". This prediction is all the more well-founded since, rather than a punctual event, precisely localized in time and space, the end of the human adventure, potentially inscribed in the Neolithic revolution, will probably end in a long concatenation of processes of all kinds, at variable rates, with undoubtedly accelerations or accumulations perceptible from one generation to the next, as has begun to happen with the melting of the ice caps, the acidification of the oceans or the progressive disappearance of bees, goldfinches and other specimens of animal diversity. This means that the two or three generations of humans currently living on the planet still have time, for the most part, to reassure themselves and, for some, to anguish themselves, by watching their children and grandchildren grow up, by imagining juicy and delectable careers for them when they leave the school system, as traders at the Rothschild bank or TV presenters or footballers, in short, in careers of potential tax-optimized millionaires.

This is precisely the mistake that any government worth its salt should seek to avoid.

If we were able to distinguish more clearly between the wheat and the chaff, we would entrust the organization of our slow agony to those who have the best understanding of the fundamental causes of our fiasco. We cannot know how many decades or generations the human race will have left before the end of the ongoing mass extinction that will irretrievably take away this pestilential world civilization, corrupted to the core by money and the will to power. But what we, humans of good will, can do in the time we have left, what we have the duty to do, out of dignity, out of respect for ourselves and out of humanity for those who will survive, is to protect the latter against any recurrence, to vaccinate them against any relapse, by undertaking the radical and impartial aggiornamento that we have only ever carried out in bits and pieces over the centuries, because we have never, at any time, stopped telling ourselves stories and fabricating illusions, and we have stubbornly tried to play the game of reality and fantasy.

Perhaps it could not be otherwise (and in this case why precisely?), but the terrestrial civilizations were built on mythologies, strangely similar in their apparent diversity. Under the guise of revealing to us the truth of our origins and the reality of our condition, these constructions, which always present themselves as alethic and descriptive, have turned out to be essentially axiological and prescriptive, that is to say that they have only ever served to impose and legitimize a cultural arbitrariness (religious and philosophical) generally favourable to the established powers, to the "big", to the "magnificent", to the Pazzis and the Medici, but rarely, if ever, to the Ciompi and other "minuti" of Florence and elsewhere. However, not everything in this heritage is to be rejected uniformly, and one of the most urgent tasks to which we should dedicate the reprieve that History leaves us, if it leaves us any, would be precisely to reflect with discernment on what made the value of these values that have shaped and dominated the human race until now. The most vigorous minds in the historical and social sciences have begun to do this indispensable work. It is important to continue it.

In the hypothesis of a prolongation of the human odyssey, we should, educated by our experience, warn our successors against the imitation or the recovery of our delusions, that is to say against the form taken by our own stupidity, against our mythology and all that is linked to it, its careers and its channels, secular and ecclesiastical, its areopagi, its shamans and its caciques, its shopkeepers, its craftsmen and its superstores, its baskets and its speculators, its executives, its journalists, its artists and its gladiators, its hierarchies and its rankings, its medallists and its flunkies, its podiums, its Olympics, its eden, its Styx and its Erebian, its Champs Elysées and its White House, its Harvard, its MIT and its Yale, its "elites" and its zealots, its coastal cities and its provinces, in short the whole of the existing economic, social and cultural world! Our era would be best served by such an examination of conscience, if only we could stop for a moment to think about it. But this is precisely what we no longer know how to do. We no longer have any other brake than viruses and pandemics, nor any other resting place than the resuscitation beds.

This means that everything has to be revised.

Absolutely everything and from top to bottom.

This is a task worthy of humans. Too late, of course, but far less crazy and more useful than colonizing Proxima Centauri, an insane and unattainable undertaking that would only ever serve to make Elon Musk and his neo-freakery prosper without emancipating us from the endless scholastic oppositions between I and We, Natural and Supernatural, Reason and Sentiment, etc. Anyway, at least we now know that we have to change the ending imagined by Homer for the Odyssey. Odysseus could never find his way back to Ithaca nor the arms of Penelope. Ithaca, in fact, sank, submerged by the rising seas and Penelope drowned in a swamp of plastic waste and excrement spread by tourist cruises in the Mediterranean, from Gibraltar to the Ionian islands.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

what is the lag time between release of co2 and it’s absorption in the ocean? like if we stop emitting co2 now does the ocean still become more acidic, less acidic, or is it at equilibrium for the atmospheric level of co2 now?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

bobmarleysghost posted:

Anaerobes will figure a lot more heavily in the overall

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM6txLtoaoc

Humanity: Challenge Accepted.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

God Hole posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40yCegU70J0

Problem solved itself!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Torpor posted:

what is the lag time between release of co2 and it’s absorption in the ocean? like if we stop emitting co2 now does the ocean still become more acidic, less acidic, or is it at equilibrium for the atmospheric level of co2 now?

Like a decade.

The biggest lol is that atmospheric carbon reduction does *NOT* lower ocean acidity; that poo poo will remain baked in for centuries.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

sitchensis posted:

I found it.

This horror film will go to its final paroxysm

not an empty quote, for thread search posterity

kater
Nov 16, 2010

T-Paine posted:

cspam

kater
Nov 16, 2010

so 25 years says that optimistic linear yellow line.

7 still seems a good bet.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Conspiratiorist posted:

Like a decade.

The biggest lol is that atmospheric carbon reduction does *NOT* lower ocean acidity; that poo poo will remain baked in for centuries.

Hey, the world's largest carbon capture plant was just constructed in iceland

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
as the future becomes more clouded in the minds of policy makers the moral and ethical restraints against nuclear war are reduced.

why would MAD be a deterrent if your country and it’s people are already, or will soon be, destroyed?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

lmao this rules. This is exactly what the book I read about a year ago really went into

The Ends of the World: Volcanic Apocalypses, Lethal Oceans, and Our Quest to Understand Earth's Past Mass Extinctions
Peter Brannen

Highly recommend.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Trabisnikof posted:

I'd like to assist by doing some graphs and charts. Bring it on.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Eh, the paper is not academic and was published in order to sell engineering solutions and test kits.

Climate hosed, but this is combo scare-mongering and profiteering pay to publish scheme.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
perhaps we can just dump lots of very basey liquids into the ocean to counteract the acidity, like several gigatons of oven cleaner??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

mlmp08 posted:

Eh, the paper is not academic and was published in order to sell engineering solutions and test kits.

Climate hosed, but this is combo scare-mongering and profiteering pay to publish scheme.

It doesnt really say anything different then any other scientist who studies the carbon cycle is though. We're at permian extinction levels of CO2 going into the air every day.