Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

That's really the major driver there. They are so good at giving it to other people

Yeah basically my 2 year olds favourite hobby is licking windows and then sneezing directly in your face. They are extremely efficient disease vectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

StrangeThing posted:

I feel like this thread takes a way dimmer view on children's heath and COVID than the scientific community does, all the overwhelming evidence and discussion I've seen is that children are extremely well protected.

“We’ll protected” is a hell of a way to describe “literally not protected at all”. Better off than old people is a pretty loving low bar here.

E: Let’s put it this way, if you told doctors that a new virus would show up that would kill several times as many kids as a typical flu season plus cause the myriad dangerous (and various unknown) symptoms of COVID, we would have worked extremely hard to mitigate those effects. Just look at our continuing efforts to vaccinate kids for influenza. Pandemic fatigue has warped our sense of acceptable morbidity.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 15, 2021

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
A COVID-related good thing:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41579-021-00642-4

quote:

Influenza lineage extinction during the COVID-19 pandemic?

The SARS-CoV-2 pandemic has seen a notable global reduction in influenza cases of both influenza A and B viruses. In particular, the B/Yamagata lineage has not been isolated from April 2020 to August 2021, suggesting that this influenza lineage may have become extinct, which may provide opportunities for improving availability and effectiveness of influenza vaccines.

and since we've been asked to do this,

quote:

Competing interests
K.L. and S.R. are employees of Seqirus, an influenza vaccine manufacturer. The other authors declare no competing interests.

One of the influenza-B lineages might have gone extinct, which could potentially improve flu vaccination in the future.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Stickman posted:

“We’ll protected” is a hell of a way to describe “literally not protected at all”. Better off than old people is a pretty loving low bar here.

I think maybe this is a miscommunication in terminology? I'm assuming StrangeThing means "children very rarely develop severe disease or require hospitalization." They still readily contract and transmit the virus, of course.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Fritz the Horse posted:

I think maybe this is a miscommunication in terminology? I'm assuming StrangeThing means "children very rarely develop severe disease or require hospitalization." They still readily contract and transmit the virus, of course.

E: Yes, and apparently I’m too grumpy to discuss anything right now, apologies.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 15, 2021

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

CommieGIR posted:

Guys if someone is making you angry, at least address their points before calling them out. Thanks.

https://twitter.com/jeremyfaust/status/1448709669900460044?s=20

One Doctor saying there's some data showing that the Pfizer booster may actually cause harm and not actually help lower hospitalization chances specifically in young males

I'm super tired and it's late so I'm not going to attempt a lengthy in-depth analysis but I did have a look at Faust's article and the 4-5 cited publications (at least one is a preprint).

We are discussing specifically males aged 18-29 (maybe somewhat older).

Faust admits he takes an optimistic perspective regarding vaccine efficacy against severe disease in that demographic (males aged 18-29 and maybe a bit older), that is: there is little waning of protection against severe disease/hospitalization for this demographic. He is also pessimistic about the rates of myocarditis in this group (myocarditis is of significant concern, he regards it of higher concern than some colleagues). Faust's words, not mine.

Faust gives several statistics from the cited literature; the specific numbers are not in the abstract and I don't have time nor energy right now to dig through the full texts so I'm taking him at his word.

Essentially his argument is the following:

1) Incidence of myocarditis is increased for males aged 18-29 receiving a third (booster) shot.
2) There doesn't appear to be much waning of vaccine efficacy vs. severe disease and hospitalization in this group.

So he concludes that maybe a booster is not really worth it for this demographic.

I will note that the incidence of severe myocarditis is quite low (single-digit percentage of all reported cases of myocarditis are severe). My two cents is that Faust is maybe overly cautious in his analysis of the data and I dunno if I agree with him (at a glance) that the risks of myocarditis outweigh boosters for this demographic. But I'm also a fuckin horse so y'know, don't take your medical advice from equines on the internet.

edit: if folks are interested in specifics regarding the above I'd be happy to dig them up tomorrow or this weekend.

I guess my own personal takeaway having skimmed the cited literature is I agree with his points 1) and 2) that risk of myocarditis is much increased with a booster for this demographic and also that a booster isn't very effective wrt severe disease and hospitalization. I don't necessarily agree that the risk of myocarditis outweighs potential benefit but that's my educated layman's opinion and not anything that should be taken as authoritative.

edit2:

basically Faust's arguments are:
-booster for 18-29 males significantly increases risk of myocarditis
-it doesn't improve efficacy vs. severe disease and hospitalization for those in the demographic already fully vaccinated

and the above claims are fairly well-supported from data presented, imo

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 15, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fritz the Horse posted:

A COVID-related good thing:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41579-021-00642-4

and since we've been asked to do this,

One of the influenza-B lineages might have gone extinct, which could potentially improve flu vaccination in the future.

They spoke too soon.

If you look at CDC’s flu tracker, BYam was identified in the most recent week for which data is now available.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Platystemon posted:

They spoke too soon.

If you look at CDC’s flu tracker, BYam was identified in the most recent week for which data is now available.

Are you referring to https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm and specifically this table here: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weeklyarchives2020-2021/data/whoAllregt_phl39.html Rather helpful if you just directly link what you're referring to.

Because yup, looks like they had one hit for BYAM the most recent week for which data are available (thru 2 Oct).

Still hints at the prospect we might eradicate at least some influenza lineages with continued COVID precautions. It strikes me as interesting how close we might have come to eliminating a lineage of flu even with the wildly variable pandemic precautions taken in the US and elsewhere.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 15, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You don’t have to be rude about it.

I didn’t go through the same page you did. I downloaded the CSV file, I didn’t think that a direct link to that would have been well-received or useful to anyone who wasn’t already familiar with CDC flu surveillance. I would have screencapped the chart, but I’m on mobile.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Platystemon posted:

You don’t have to be rude about it.

I didn’t go through the same page you did. I downloaded the CSV file, I didn’t think that a direct link to that would have been well-received or useful to anyone who wasn’t already familiar with CDC flu surveillance. I would have screencapped the chart, but I’m on mobile.

I was rude by... spending a couple minutes tracking down the data you reference, and asking you to confirm that's where you found it?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You don’t think this is a wee bit snippy?

quote:

Rather helpful if you just directly link what you're referring to.

I’m sorry if you don’t mean anything by that, but where I’m from, that’s a mild reproach.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So far no one's said anything unforgivable and we're all adults here. I appreciate both of you as posters and hope you can move on with no hard feelings, because it's not worth getting worked up over this, I assure you.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm in Alberta, and the interesting thing is that, here, we've seen a great decrease in cases by doing literally the bare minimum of "wear any sort of mask in public, and restaurants/bars/gatherings are limited to the fully vaccinated." I honestly did not think these measures alone would be enough to cause a sustained decrease, and yet... they seem to be working unless there's fuckery going on with the data. They're working in areas with high vaccination rates very well, and working decently in areas with lower rates.

I don't think it can be overstated how trivially we could get rid of this crisis if we committed to addressing it head-on with strong measures. Even half-assed measures do seem to be sufficient in achieving R_0 < 1 in all groups, so I think we should be asking: why can't we do those before we stampede toward "everyone needs a booster and to wear N95s at all times"? I'm still kind of frustrated that our response has been so weak, generally speaking, but apparently it doesn't take much to start sending this bastard virus on a downward trend.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Definitely something I've seen in all of Canada is that re-introducing any sort of restriction is incredibly difficult, and both government and most people are way too willing to bury their heads in the sand and pretend like nothing's wrong until it's way too late.

Ontario has been in a really good place for a while, but that's mostly due to removing restrictions slowly. If things start rising again, I have zero confidence in Ford resuming any sort of restriction until the ICUs are completely overloaded again.

bane mask golem
Sep 16, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

How are u posted:

My personal position with all the pre-prints and weird studies that pop up on covid brain damage or whatever is to just ignore them. If covid really does cause brain damage in every single person infected then I'll learn about it when it's plastered all over the front pages of the world's big papers, as in it's actually real.

e: to clarify, I think I'm exercising a healthy skepticism of falling down a "I know something that the mainstream media can't/won't/doesn't want to report on" hole. If doom is real then it won't be some secret whispered about the internet, it'll be something we all hear about very very loudly.

Well, guess what's showing up in the papers now: COVID causes brain damage.

Here's a few quotes from the Oxford study the article references (bolding mine):

quote:

There is strong evidence for brain-related pathologies in COVID-19, some of which could be a consequence of viral neurotropism, or of neuroinflammation following viral infection. Most brain imaging studies have focused on qualitative, gross pathology in moderate to severe cases, most typically carried out on hospitalised patients. It remains unknown however whether the impact of SARS-CoV-2 infection can be detected in milder cases, in a quantitative and automated manner, and whether this can reveal possible mechanisms for the spread of the disease.

quote:

Using both hypothesis-driven and exploratory approaches, with false discovery rate multiple comparison correction, we identified respectively 68 and 67 significant longitudinal effects associated with SARS-CoV-2 infection in the brain, including, on average: (i) a more pronounced reduction in grey matter thickness and contrast in the lateral orbitofrontal cortex (min P=1.7×10-4, r=-0.14) and parahippocampal gyrus (min P=2.7×10-4, r=-0.13), (ii) a relative increase of diffusion indices, a marker of tissue damage, in the regions of the brain functionally-connected to the piriform cortex, anterior olfactory nucleus and olfactory tubercle (min P=2.2×10-5, r=0.16), and (iii) greater reduction in global measures of brain size and increase in cerebrospinal fluid volume suggesting an additional diffuse atrophy in the infected participants (min P=4.0×10-6, r=-0.17). When looking over the entire cortical surface, these grey matter thickness results covered the parahippocampal gyrus and the lateral orbitofrontal cortex, and extended to the anterior insula and anterior cingulate cortex, supramarginal gyrus and temporal pole. The increase of a diffusion index (mean diffusivity) meanwhile could be seen voxel-wise mainly in the medial and lateral orbitofrontal cortex, the anterior insula, the anterior cingulate cortex and the amygdala. These results were not altered after excluding cases who had been hospitalised. We further compared hospitalised (n=15) and non-hospitalised (n=386) infected participants, resulting in similar findings to the larger cases vs control group comparison, with, in addition, a marked reduction of grey matter thickness in fronto-parietal and temporal regions (all FDR-significant, min P=4.0×10-6). The 401 SARS-CoV-2 infected participants also showed larger cognitive decline between the two timepoints in the Trail Making Test compared with the controls (both FDR-significant, min P=1.0×10-4, r=0.17; and still FDR-significant after excluding the hospitalised patients: min P=1.0×10-4, r=0.17), with the duration taken to complete the alphanumeric trail correlating post hoc with the cognitive and olfactory-related crus II of the cerebellum (FDR-significant, P=2.0×10-3, r=-0.19), which was also found significantly atrophic in the SARS-CoV-2 participants (FDR-significant, P=6.1×10-5, r=-0.14). Our findings thus relate to longitudinal abnormalities in limbic cortical areas with direct neuronal connectivity to the primary olfactory system. Unlike in post hoc cross-sectional studies, the availability of pre- infection imaging data mitigates to some extent the issue of pre-existing risk factors or clinical conditions being misinterpreted as disease effects. We were therefore able to demonstrate that the regions of the brain that showed longitudinal differences post-infection did not already show any difference between (future) cases and controls in their initial, pre-infection scans. These brain imaging results may be the in vivo hallmarks of a degenerative spread of the disease — or of the virus itself — via olfactory pathways (a possible entry point of the virus to the central nervous system being via the olfactory mucosa), or of neuroinflammatory events due to the infection, or of the loss of sensory input due to anosmia. Whether this deleterious impact can be partially reversed, for instance after improvement of the hyposmic symptoms, or whether these are effects that will persist in the long term, remains to be investigated with additional follow up.

quote:

It is also worth noting that most of the cases involved in this study were either asymptomatic or mild — and indeed, most of our significant olfactory-related results stand when excluding the infected participants with more moderate or severe COVID-19 (hospitalised cases) — and most of the controls would have had also been exposed to higher levels of anxiety, stress and isolation during the pandemic in the UK. In addition, brain regions typically involved in these mental health factors, while overlapping with our limbic results, do not affect these regions consistently: higher and lower volumes have both been observed in these limbic structures for anxiety and stress, including higher (as opposed to lower in our study) volume of the parahippocampal gyrus in stress68–71, while social isolation impacts a different network of brain regions (the so-called “default mode” network), which does not overlap with the pattern associated with SARS-CoV-2 infection in our results.

Following up on our previous discussion:
-The evidence shows that airborne COVID does cause brain damage.
-It's now showing up in news articles more and more frequently, which was your criteria for taking this seriously.
-The brain damage is unrelated to anxiety or antisocial habits caused by lockdowns or fear of COVID.
-The brain damage is present in mild COVID cases as well as severe cases.

Based on these results, it seems clear that:
-Everyone should wear a respirator, and try to avoid catching COVID.
-The Biden administration should be paying people to stay home. Not just one-time checks then declaring July 4th to be Covid Independence Day.
-The current Biden administration policies of reopening the economy at all costs and not providing universal access to boosters falls somewhere between mass murder and intentional genocide of minorities.
-The Biden administration policy of appealing the court order to vaccinate the refugees they're keeping in concentration camps, rather than following the court order and vaccinating them, falls somewhere between mass murder and intentional genocide of those predominantly minority groups.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

enki42 posted:

Definitely something I've seen in all of Canada is that re-introducing any sort of restriction is incredibly difficult, and both government and most people are way too willing to bury their heads in the sand and pretend like nothing's wrong until it's way too late.

Except in Alberta where, at the crisis point we finally said "okay, yeah, back to wearing masks and poo poo, and enjoy our Restrictions Exemption Program that's totally not a vaccine passport for various reasons" It's too late, but I can't actually tell at this point if it was also too little. Our cases do seem to be decreasing nicely.

It's actually completely possible to re-introduce restrictions, and people are by and large following them despite a lot of bitching. The government is just terrified of the small percentage of complete lunatics.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

bane mask golem posted:

Like, in that covid damages the olfactory system (possibly only through atrophy).

As your linked study say: "none of the 9 cognitive variables showed significant difference at baseline between SARS-CoV-2 and control groups"

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

PT6A posted:

Except in Alberta where, at the crisis point we finally said "okay, yeah, back to wearing masks and poo poo, and enjoy our Restrictions Exemption Program that's totally not a vaccine passport for various reasons" It's too late, but I can't actually tell at this point if it was also too little. Our cases do seem to be decreasing nicely.

It's actually completely possible to re-introduce restrictions, and people are by and large following them despite a lot of bitching. The government is just terrified of the small percentage of complete lunatics.

Oh for sure restrictions get re-introduced, but it seems like pretty much everywhere the event that makes them be reintroduced is an overloaded healthcare system instead of rising cases (i.e. it always happens too late).

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

As your linked study say: "none of the 9 cognitive variables showed significant difference at baseline between SARS-CoV-2 and control groups"

Thanks, that's good to know :)

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

bane mask golem posted:

-It's now showing up in news articles more and more frequently, which was your criteria for taking this seriously.
-The brain damage is unrelated to anxiety or antisocial habits caused by lockdowns or fear of COVID.
-The brain damage is present in mild COVID cases as well as severe cases.

Based on these results, it seems clear that:
-The Biden administration should be paying people to stay home. Not just one-time checks then declaring July 4th to be Covid Independence Day.
-The current Biden administration policies of reopening the economy at all costs and not providing universal access to boosters falls somewhere between mass murder and intentional genocide of minorities.
-The Biden administration policy of appealing the court order to vaccinate the refugees they're keeping in concentration camps, rather than following the court order and vaccinating them, falls somewhere between mass murder and intentional genocide of those predominantly minority groups.

You should probably read the stuff you're quoting before making up lies and complete bullshit while expecting people won't take the time to read the study.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
This preprint has already been discussed. Thread starts here:
Best reply in the thread so far:

HelloSailorSign posted:

Right, this study should be taken with a large grain of salt in regards to it being a new and scary thing that COVID is capable of. There are a lot of diseases out there we are all exposed to regularly that could do similar.

Their observations are correct between their two groups (even if their overlaps are a bit ehhh), but the big thing here that's missing is the comparison to other illnesses and other conditions (that aren't infectious or neurodegenerative conditions) that could impact how the brain functions.

We all know that loss of smell/taste is a significant symptom of COVID, whether mild or severe. The brain is not a slow moving organ, it's constantly and frequently changing and altering itself in response to stimulation... or importantly here, lack thereof. Neuroplasticity is a very large area of research.

In the non-illness side, the brain can change fairly rapidly when amputation or transection of nerves occurs. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19737843/ The question that I've not seen answered yet regarding COVID and anosmia is - is it the nerve getting toasted, or the sensory cells? Given the majority of people who lose sense of taste/smell get it back and get it back similar to before, could this suggest it may be the peripheral nerve being impacted if the linked study discussed transection of nerves and how later they're not as good as before? Or is that simply an aspect of such an important sense being essentially lost for 1-2 weeks (at least)? Remember too that smell has a huge influence on our emotional and memory states, and the loss of that sense could lead to a loss of input for those areas as well. We also have fast changes to the brain - including those visible to various brain scans - from a limb being casted https://www.cell.com/neuron/pdfExtended/S0896-6273(20)30353-6, likely because of a loss of use. Much like a muscle shrinking when not in use but capable of enlarging over time when needed, the brain may do the same. But, atrophy is not necessarily equivalent to damage.

On the illness side, influenza has been associated with neurological damage https://www.the-scientist.com/features/can-the-flu-and-other-viruses-cause-neurodegeneration--65498 that could take years to demonstrate. Could COVID be added to this list? Possibly! One feature to note though is that certain strains of influenza are noted to be able to bypass the blood brain barrier, and as of yet, COVID has not been reliably detected in brain tissue from those who've died from it https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2021/06/signs-of-inflammation-in-brains-of-people-who-died-of-covid-19.html https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2021/01/14/taking-a-closer-look-at-the-effects-of-covid-19-on-the-brain/. COVID's impacts seem to be more likely due to the issues it causes via clotting abnormalities and a severe systemic inflammatory response, which also would fit with the myocarditis issues seen in both true COVID and vaccination, that COVID simply can cause a significant inflammatory reaction and when that happens, loads of organ systems get impacted, but it's not necessarily because COVID is special, it's because we've done failingly little to research the diseases we've lived with for generations.
I want to doubly emphasize the point made at the beginning of this post. The brain is plastic. Changes in brain mass and connectivity happen as a result of relatively mundane things and scans showing these changes do not mean those things cause brain damage. Pregnancy another well known example of this.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

SpacePope posted:

You should probably read the stuff you're quoting before making up lies and complete bullshit while expecting people won't take the time to read the study.

Like, it’s real that covid is a body wide disease and has measurable effects on the brain. What he’s doing is messing with word connotations where “brain damage” literally means any negative change of any sort to the brain, but any actual person means “brain damaged” to mean some sort of specific physical or cognitive change caused by physical changes in the brain.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s how most kinds of damage work.

Does the passage of a single truck damage pavement? We know that it does, even if we can’t measure it. We don’t have to wait for the road to be functionally degraded and popping tires with its potholes to say “yes, damage happens”.

Why don’t we go back to letting kids bounce soccer balls off their head and play tackle football? Why don’t we allow a little lead exposure? We know that these cause brain damage in aggregate, but who’s to say that any particular individual was harmed by low‐level exposure?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Platystemon posted:

Why don’t we go back to letting kids ... play tackle football?

We ever stopped!?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Not sure how I double-posted there. Neat. Maybe it is I who has brain damage :downs:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zarin posted:

We ever stopped!?

We never shut down the virus, either.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Does the passage of a single truck damage pavement? We know that it does, even if we can’t measure it. We don’t have to wait for the road to be functionally degraded and popping tires with its potholes to say “yes, damage happens”.

Why don’t we go back to letting kids bounce soccer balls off their head and play tackle football? Why don’t we allow a little lead exposure? We know that these cause brain damage in aggregate, but who’s to say that any particular individual was harmed by low‐level exposure?
You completely missed the point. Not all changes to the brain are brain damage, and you should agree on this unless you're prepared to say that mothers and anyone who has had a broken arm or the flu (or any number of other common things) are brain damaged.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Platystemon posted:

We never shut down the virus, either.

Nobody could. May as well try to stop the seasons or the tides.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

How are u posted:

Nobody could. May as well try to stop the seasons or the tides.

:china:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

They'll be living with endemic Covid in a year or two, just like everybody else. It would have been nice if they'd been able to nip the whole thing in the bud to begin with, but here we are and it is what it is.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Platystemon posted:

Yeah, if you make this study about older adults and make it about children and change "no significant cognitive impairment was found" to "significant permanent cumulative impairment was found" then this sure is a scary study! It's weird how studies are always saying scary things when you add made up scary things whole cloth to what the study says!

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, if you make this study about older adults and make it about children and change "no significant cognitive impairment was found" to "significant permanent cumulative impairment was found" then this sure is a scary study! It's weird how studies are always saying scary things when you add made up scary things whole cloth to what the study says!

Ah yes the brain, noted for healing after repeated oxygen starvation and inflammation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

poll plane variant posted:

Ah yes the brain, noted for healing after repeated oxygen starvation and inflammation.

A drop in oxygen level is not "repeated oxygen starvation". Plus, most cases in the study were mild or asymptomatic so it's pretty clear that they weren't choking to death.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

poll plane variant posted:

You are saying this as a zinger because you know you aren’t actually saying anything.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
Also, the paper doesn't even discuss oxygen levels except to say they lacked data on it:

quote:

Limitations of this study include the lack of stratification of severity of the cases, beyond the information of whether they had been hospitalised (information on O2 saturation levels and details of treatment or hospital procedures is currently available on only a few participants), lack of clinical correlates (of particular relevance, potential hyposmic and hypogeusic symptoms and blood-based markers of inflammation), small number of participants from Asian, Black or other ethnic background other than White, some of the cases and controls’ SARS-CoV-2 infection status identified through antibody lateral flow test kits that have varied diagnostic accuracy.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
The Powercom KN-95 masks i bought from bonerfied masks or whatever are pretty sick.

What's most surprising? They're *more* comfortable than my cloth masks. Because they aren't rubbing my face and cheeks like cloth masks, they're actually a lot more comfortable to wear for longer periods of time. I find them a bit easier to breathe in as well. Downsides are that weird characteristic smell of that material N-95/KN-95s use, and that they sometimes make my nose feel runny, but otherwise im a really happy camper. I got the ear loop ones, dont know how much better at protection the headband ones are, but the ones ive used before hurt my scalp a bunch (shaved head).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

bane mask golem posted:

Hey, I can still get behind this part of the post. As for everything else, I'll remind folks to check the OP as it's updated on a semi-regular basis, and there's a section with links on how to read scientific literature if you feel like you want to dig into preprints.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 15, 2021

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Chronic COPD and chf patients actually go back to normal baseline mentality a majority of time when started on oxygen therapy, the idea that long term low grade hypoxia is going to cause irreversible brain damage is dumb outrage poo poo from Twitter. The brain starts to shut down and maintain basic level functions of higher level thinking to protect the critical portions in periods of low grade oxygenation. Hell you can actively point out the same poo poo and literally there's documented evidence of this exact thing with everest hikers. They don't get irreversible brain damage ( besides the stuff they had before deciding to climb it or if they are up there way to goddamn long and aren't trained)

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

https://twitter.com/peterhotez/status/1449052799946395657?s=21

Reinfections are rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
No poo poo people get reinfected, your natural immunity antibodies are not the spike proteins, and instead specific for a portion of the virus your body detects. Small variations make those antibodies not as useful, it's basic viral evolution. It's why the morons that have been gotten covid 3 times exist.