Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Is Ben Grimm just a human there? Like, no superpowers at all? Has he forgotten and is about to get smeared because he forgets he needs to dodge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he always has that expression. you just can't tell with his rock form.

He is going to gently caress someone up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Elissimpark posted:

Is Ben Grimm just a human there? Like, no superpowers at all? Has he forgotten and is about to get smeared because he forgets he needs to dodge?

Yeah, Reed did some science poo poo and for a while Ben was human looking and Captain Marvel (not any of the ones you are thinking of) got the rock powers.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, Reed did some science poo poo and for a while Ben was human looking and Captain Marvel (not any of the ones you are thinking of) got the rock powers.

Ms Marvel. But Ben has a Thing suit that sometimes is just broke so he can't wear it. Continuity in Atlantis Attacks seems to be a 'nice to have' rather than a goal.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Then Matt Fraction used that Thing suit and the rings from that weird rear end Thing cartoon to make Ms.Thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bessantj posted:

Ms Marvel. But Ben has a Thing suit that sometimes is just broke so he can't wear it. Continuity in Atlantis Attacks seems to be a 'nice to have' rather than a goal.

God dammit, I originally typed Ms. Marvel before I hit post, then second guessed myself.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

What I'm hearing here is that Kamala Khan needs to find and wear Benjamin Grimm's thing suit in at least one story.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

bessantj posted:

I just love the look on Ben Grimm's face.

I bet Spiderman announced what time it was before Ben could and they both know he can't do anything about it.

(I vaguely remember seeing a panel where someone did this to the Thing's chagrin, but Google ain't helping...)

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

bessantj posted:

I just love the look on Ben Grimm's face.

'He was no more 'fantastic' than any other man of his age and strength,' Peter sobbed over the closed casket after Ben rushed in against loving Annihilus.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Why are they hoofing it? Couldn't Sue build an InvisiMobile or something? Doesn't Reed have like 87 variants of Fantasticar in the garage they could use?

For that matter, what is Reed gonna do when they reach whatever they're running to? Grab a lamp post and snap his legs to him?

No, no. This comic book panel makes no sense at all.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ben's not actually running. He stepped on Sue's foot there and is in mid-fall.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I've always loved Reed stretching to get places like that because it evokes the image that, once they arrive at the disaster zone or whatever, he has to do a handstand so that he can take his feet off the ground and unstretch his torso. Or maybe he just does it periodically, meaning he runs like a taffy horse.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Every now and then he must do the ultimate of Keep On Truckin' moves and take one giant step.

Doesn't make for a great comic panel, though. Heroes all charging into the fray alongside a big clown-size foot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I like the detail of lady Thing having french cut legs on her outfit, which I'm torn on thinking is just lazy "girls gotta have sexy outfits" or surprisingly body positive.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

so graceful

Avengers #14

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I like the detail of lady Thing having french cut legs on her outfit, which I'm torn on thinking is just lazy "girls gotta have sexy outfits" or surprisingly body positive.

nothing about she-thing was ever even slightly body positive. her life was a train wreck.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Ghostlight posted:

so graceful

Avengers #14

How the gently caress is Captain America moving in that panel????

Also, I love Kirby but man could he never get consistent size or perspective on Giant Man

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GPTribefan posted:

Also, I love Kirby but man could he never get consistent size or perspective on Giant Man

I feel like Heck shoulders some of the blame there

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

so graceful

Avengers #14

It's insane, this guy's taint.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GPTribefan posted:

rear end-ambling.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

muscles like this! posted:

It's insane, this guy's taint.

If only the colours of his costume were reversed he could really taint the town red.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

GPTribefan posted:

The same way Thor is, he threw his shield and is being pulled along by it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

GPTribefan posted:

They're all riding the slipstream of Giant Man's enormous foot.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ghostlight posted:

so graceful

Avengers #14

Keep on trucki-

Oh God, please limit your truckin'

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Green Lantern #14 (1944)

You Shall Die By Your Own Evil Creation! (2009) (reprint)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ghostlight posted:

so graceful

Avengers #14

I keep my underwear up with a piece of elastic
I use a bullshit mic thats made out of plastic

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

I've always loved Reed stretching to get places like that because it evokes the image that, once they arrive at the disaster zone or whatever, he has to do a handstand so that he can take his feet off the ground and unstretch his torso. Or maybe he just does it periodically, meaning he runs like a taffy horse.

Reed's actually still on the toilet in that panel.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Splint Chesthair posted:

Reed's actually still on the toilet in that panel.

Oh man, someone post that Justice League Europe panel with Ralph and his wife.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

Oh man, someone post that Justice League Europe panel with Ralph and his wife.

I didn't find that, but I did find this.

By Lee Gatlin

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Ghostlight posted:

Mister QWOPtastic

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Suleman posted:

I didn't find that, but I did find this.

By Lee Gatlin

I had some time to find it again, no worries:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Wow a superhero millennials can really identify with.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superboy #80 (1960)

Exiles #32 (2003)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Darthemed posted:

Superboy #80 (1960)

I know it'll be something ludicrous in reality like "Clark uses his super-breath to make the bottle never stop" but like... what is the outcome supposed to be here? Like... I don't see any way that isn't like 80% sapphic make-out sesh, which go girls, get you some, but not sure how that boosts Clark's ego?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

I know it'll be something ludicrous in reality like "Clark uses his super-breath to make the bottle never stop" but like... what is the outcome supposed to be here? Like... I don't see any way that isn't like 80% sapphic make-out sesh, which go girls, get you some, but not sure how that boosts Clark's ego?

I guess maybe knowing there's 5 different girls willing to kiss him (albeit at spin the bottle, but still, if kissing him was some horrible prospect the girls wouldn't agree to the game in the first place) would be an ego boost. But that seems like a stretch... but it's also a silver age comic so "[plot element] is a stretch" is their bread and butter

ANNNYWAY, here's a page from United States of Captain America #4

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Two from The Avengers #88

The narrator is pretty sure no one under 20 will get that reference in the 60s (or 70s I dunno).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

I guess maybe knowing there's 5 different girls willing to kiss him (albeit at spin the bottle, but still, if kissing him was some horrible prospect the girls wouldn't agree to the game in the first place) would be an ego boost. But that seems like a stretch... but it's also a silver age comic so "[plot element] is a stretch" is their bread and butter

ANNNYWAY, here's a page from United States of Captain America #4

I thought Godwin was the idea that the first person to use Nazis as an analogy loses the argument. (Which worked better when literal Nazis weren't so much of a thing)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
literal nazis were never not a thing for cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah I think trying to Godwin Captain America is unfair because the dude has literally been fighting Nazis nonstop since he was 20 including the uncomfortable period of time he was sorta-cloned/sorta-transformed into a Nazi himself.