Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think every console since the SNES has had a late period Players Choice/Greatest Hits thing, not just the unsuccessful ones. Except I don't remember if the WiiU did but who cares about the WiiU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
jp always gets the better box art...

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Shammypants posted:

Nintendo has no interest in producing exciting hardware because it continues to sell ancient and unexciting hardware at high levels because of their walled garden. It didn't include bluetooth audio until now because much of what they do is ancient and pointless and behind the curve.

Shammypants posted:

This new generation of fly by night, poseur fans who don't listen to Nintendo's investor meetings live and in Japanese. shaking my drat head

drat what changed in the last 2 weeks

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Spellman posted:

Yes, that's why I mentioned the money-vaccuum, which is set to on or off based on how successful Nintendo is. I'm the least confused person here

no you said they always market themselves as the cheapest, then when someone said thats not true outside of hardware you mentioned one time they did it on software due to a failing system. is it always or is it sometimes, and if its sometimes depending on how well theyre doing how woudl that apply to what youre saying about the switch, a console thats selling well. you seem extremely confused.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

b_d posted:

lol

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Breaking news, I am going to play my switch all weekend, stay tuned for more important updates from NNN (nintendo news network)

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Spellman posted:

Nintendo markets themselves as giving you the most value for the cheapest price. They always front with this (in their mobile games, hardware offerings). Xbox and PS generally promote their hardware as premium everything, and they're unafraid to say it

My cousin just bought a Switch. She asked what controller we played Mario Kart with before she bought her Switch. I said it was a Pro Controller. She looks it up. "$100?!" She is shell-shocked. She didn't understand that I used Amiibos to unlock furniture in Animal Crossing. She doesn't realize a lot of the content in Smash was DLC. It generally doesn't occur to the normie, the mom, etc. that the Switch is a bit of an investment to do all the things you or your kid might want to do with it. She saw the price of the hardware and didn't consider these costs. Now she will be dropping another 40 or 50 bucks on Animal Crossing with the NSO+ and DLC, for what she thought was going to just be an $80+20. So, $150 on Animal Crossing for her, over a month and a half. And she's not necessarily caring about N64 or Genesis games, so it's not extra value for her

Nintendo has this legacy and it's stuck with them, even when their money vacuum is on turbo-suck

yeah if you inflate the actual price of everything you're talking about by $5 to $30 it sure does seem like a bad deal. i don't know why you're doing that though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

b_d posted:

The release of goty Metroid dread

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Stux posted:

no you said they always market themselves as the cheapest, then when someone said thats not true outside of hardware you mentioned one time they did it on software due to a failing system. is it always or is it sometimes, and if its sometimes depending on how well theyre doing how woudl that apply to what youre saying about the switch, a console thats selling well. you seem extremely confused.

The average perception is, when comparing to the Xbox and PS, that the average normie thinks they will pay less to do the things they want to do with the Switch (which is generally more than they expect), until they've bought the base model and realize it's missing things they want

This is why a company like Nintendo had to sell their 3DS at a loss, because people were expecting something cheap, but they got a $250 device with no games. They couldn't leap into that price range with the legacy they had built up for themselves and suffered. I know there's compounding reasons to this (like, no games), but that is a very real perception among normies, that in comparison to the Xbox and PS, they are going to ultimately spend less over the course of their ownership

This is not evil or a criticism, it is an observation of the types of interactions I've noticed a pattern of

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

b_d posted:

I was curious if that guy saying Switch sales were bad was reading the sales charts upside down or something but apparently he's just trolling, cool.

Anyway my NSO doesn't renew until April and I'm not going to get the expansion pack until Banjo-Kazooie is on it. Doubling the price kind of sucks but you know what, having Banjo playable on a Nintendo system again is worth it. Paper Mario and Kirby 64 are just icing on that cake.

Oh, and I want to extend a hearty thanks to the goon that recommended Monster Sanctuary now that it's on sale! I've played a couple of hours and this is extremely my poo poo, I love skill trees and it looks like you can do some really crazy things with monsters much later. Hell, I'm already finding fun things to do, like I got a Yowie and saw it has an ability that deals an extra hit on each attack based on its max HP, so I loaded it up with all the HP increasing equipment I'd found and it hits like a truck. My only real complaint is the map is kind of simplistic and you can't place any markers to keep track of things you'd want to come back to, but maybe that'll unlock later, or I'll just deal with it, because the monster battling is incredibly fun.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
drat in less than a month I’ll be playing a new SMT game. Can’t believe it

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Breaking news, I am going to play my switch all weekend, stay tuned for more important updates from NNN (nintendo news network)

everyone knows NNN is in the pocket of Big Mario

y'know after he gets the mushroom

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Game Pass ultimate is absurdly good value

Especially when you let it lapse and occasionally get a 3 months for $1 deal.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Spellman posted:

This is why a company like Nintendo had to sell their 3DS at a loss, because people were expecting something cheap, but they got a $250 device with no games. They couldn't leap into that price range with the legacy they had built up for themselves and suffered.

how much was the switch at launch

quote:

I know there's compounding reasons to this (like, no games)

yes i wonder if having no games was perhahsp a deciding factor lol

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Shyfted One posted:

I know everyone is busy with strong opinions about Nintendo doing Nintendo things regarding online, but which of these games should I pick up and play next that are on sale

Blashpemous
Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King
Monster Boy and the Cured Kingdom
Monster Sanctuary
Moonlighter Complete Edition

Blasphemous

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i don't even understand the argument. like Nintendo sounds cheap but it really isn't when you consider that if you buy a game console you also might want to buy games?

as opposed to the other game consoles???

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think every console since the SNES has had a late period Players Choice/Greatest Hits thing, not just the unsuccessful ones. Except I don't remember if the WiiU did but who cares about the WiiU

They did, they called them Switch games.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

thinking about how n64 was the expensive system even tho its hardware was cheaper to buy initially. wonder why. guess we'll never know lol :cheeky:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Unreal_One posted:

They did, they called them Switch games.

I meant budget rereleases, not more expensive ones lol

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Stux posted:

how much was the switch at launch

yes i wonder if having no games was perhahsp a deciding factor lol

Worked out ok for Switch

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Any discounts on buying eShop cards or codes? Or not worth the effort and I should just use a credit card.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Spellman posted:

The average perception is, when comparing to the Xbox and PS, that the average normie thinks they will pay less to do the things they want to do with the Switch (which is generally more than they expect), until they've bought the base model and realize it's missing things they want

Nah

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Spellman posted:

Worked out ok for Switch

having one big launch title is completely different from your biggest game at launch being a bad port of Street Fighter V lol

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Can these new N64 controllers be used on other devices to play legally acquired backups of software that I own?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kevyn posted:

Can these new N64 controllers be used on other devices to play legally acquired backups of software that I own?

Controller will detect illegal emulators and self destruct

(but yes they'll work just fine on PC if the SNES controller is any indication)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Spellman posted:

I don't know how many times I have to post this, but no one thinks this. You're doing a weird thing where you take your incredibly narrow understanding and opinions and just blanketly applying it to an entire userbase with no actual supporting evidence.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Spellman posted:

Worked out ok for Switch

BotW has accumulated over 22.28 million unit sales as of March 2021

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Switch had botw at launch and Odyssey six months later, that's insanely good for a new console

(also mario kart 8 which was basically a new game since nobody had a wii u)

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Spellman posted:

It's not missing things though? Games have always cost money, and the detached joycons are perfectly serviceable as a normal controller for most people.

Who is this person that doesn't realize they need to buy games after buying the console? Grandmas in 1995 had an excuse, no adult in 2021 does.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Look. I know it was like 400 posts ago. But the idea that all books are accessible to all people is just so loving dumb i can't stop thinking about it. Give a philosophy student an engineering textbook, or vice versa, or give anybody in this thread a book in Russian or Chinese and you will have people that can't get past the first page, much less a given section.

Just lol.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Even as I think it is too much I'm a sap and will go for it anyway. They know where their bread is buttered.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Okay the super monkey ball control issues were overblown because it feels just fine and it's all coming back to me now

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the 3ds was also seen as an upgrade of a console everyone had and could be gotten for cheaper while the switch was entirely new with a self explanatory gimmick everyone wanted

like no poo poo the 3ds sold poorly with no actual launch title worth mentioning

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

lets hang out posted:

Good news every 10 floors you get another battle track

Hmm I'm tempted to turn the music back on... do the tracks feature more than one instrument?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Look. I know it was like 400 posts ago. But the idea that all books are accessible to all people is just so loving dumb i can't stop thinking about it. Give a philosophy student an engineering textbook, or vice versa, or give anybody in this thread a book in Russian or Chinese and you will have people that can't get past the first page, much less a given section.

Just lol.

"accessibility" is such a terrible term because it already has a different sense used for media lol

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
A few people I knew didn't even know the 3DS was another Gen and thought it was a gimmick upgrade like the DSi.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the dsi was worth 250 for the eshop music

Spellman
May 31, 2011

American McGay posted:

I don't know how many times I have to post this, but no one thinks this. You're doing a weird thing where you take your incredibly narrow understanding and opinions and just blanketly applying it to an entire userbase with no actual supporting evidence.

I'm speaking in generalities for conciseness, over an unimportant issue, not a court case, which was triggered by the positive response to NSO+. And I got baited into repeating myself, so what

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Exactly what Nintendo hardware has been artificially scarce?

Going back to the NES Classic you could claim that Nintendo failed to appropriate gauge demand and didn't produce enough units, but that was an actual scarcity and not one they intended. They did correct it, but there was a huge lag as they had to retool the production facility that had moved onto the SNES Classic.

I guess maybe they haven't kept up with demand on the NES/SNES controllers, but I don't think that's something they're doing to intentionally manipulate the market.

I’ve always thought that Nintendo prefers to sellout of an item by producing too few than to overproduce and be stuck with products on shelves, more so than other companies. Maybe I’m mistaking extreme popularity of some of their products and failure to meet demand with artificial scarcity (Wii at the launch, NES/SNES Classic, the Switch). Then there’s the whole deal where they only sold Mario 3D All Stars for a few months before they pulled it, which is exactly the sort of thing Disney does with their vault.

I just read Ask Iwata a few months ago, and in it Iwata talks about keeping products at a steady price because lowering the price later conditions people to wait for a better deal/punishes early adopters. Artificial scarcity is right in line with this thinking because it encourages people to buy the product now when they have a chance instead of waiting until later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Shyfted One posted:

I know everyone is busy with strong opinions about Nintendo doing Nintendo things regarding online, but which of these games should I pick up and play next that are on sale

Blashpemous
Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King
Monster Boy and the Cured Kingdom
Monster Sanctuary
Moonlighter Complete Edition

Honestly they're all decent choices, but I'd say Blasphemous and Monster Sanctuary are top tier, Blossom Tales is a cute Zelda clone that's plenty worth it on sale, Moonlighter is pretty grindy and mostly makes me wish something half as good as Recettear was available on Switch but it's not bad, Monster Boy is the one I'm least inclined towards but I think that's just a matter of personal taste.