Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
My eyes are too fucky for me to get lasik. Turns out I'd still probably have to wear glasses :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Have fun putting on/taking off your glasses that aren't there. I did that quite a bit at first. I'm 10 years later and still have perfect vision. One of the best things I ever did.

One of the crappy parts of being a camera operator with glasses was pushing my eye up against the viewfinder, which of course was solved with lasik. But then cameras changed and now we're all using the flip out screens, which sucks because I actually lost a couple inches of close-up focus when I got it, so everything has to be about a foot away to see perfectly. I was wondering if I'd regain it a little over time as the effects wear off but yeah it's been 10 years and distance vision is still perfect.

I bought a wired microphone and a stand for work. Also a toy millennium falcon for my son for xmas that was 52% off, thereby justifying its purchase despite ny house having like six or seven Millennium Falcons in it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Got a new headset since my old Microsoft Lifechat has been unusably battered for years now. A Roccat Elo.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Have fun putting on/taking off your glasses that aren't there. I did that quite a bit at first. I'm 10 years later and still have perfect vision. One of the best things I ever did.

Surprisingly I haven't done that yet but it's messing with my head that I should have glasses on and the weight of them I can feel missing. It's also tricking me into thinking I still need them cause I'm seeing perfectly fine without them

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

My eyes are too fucky for me to get lasik. Turns out I'd still probably have to wear glasses :(

Same. I went in for a consult and the person they sent in to explain the results pointed at the printouts and said "you see how it's red here? it's supposed to be blue.".

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My initial consult had the optometrist suggest PRK surgery as my eyes were that bad (-11.5 on the "good" eye!). Second consult revealed LASIK could fix my eyes, which I preferred as PRK surgery has you out for almost a month while your eyes recover (compared to the day for LASIK).

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Same, they said I could do some implantable contact lenses, but the ones that would fix me in one go weren't available in the US the last time I checked.

Edit: just looked into it, seems they were approved in the US in 2018. Gonna schedule an appointment and see if they'll fix my eyeballs

boz has a new favorite as of 09:00 on Oct 18, 2021

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Android Apocalypse posted:

My initial consult had the optometrist suggest PRK surgery as my eyes were that bad (-11.5 on the "good" eye!). Second consult revealed LASIK could fix my eyes, which I preferred as PRK surgery has you out for almost a month while your eyes recover (compared to the day for LASIK).

drat bro. Did you get to not needing glasses at all?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Glottis posted:

drat bro. Did you get to not needing glasses at all?

Yes. I'm completely corrective lenses-free. I was using contact lenses for about 10 years & they even had versions that could correct my astigmatism, but I figured not having to change them out daily would be nice.

I urge anybody that's thinking about it to at least get a consult. Even with health insurance it's :homebrew: but IMO it's worth every penny I spent.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Got my eyes lazered 15 years ago and still going strong. Worth it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Got my eyes lasered 10 years ago, worth every penny.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Pixel 6 Pro 128GB Black yeee haw

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Tim Whatley posted:

This but without the yeee or the haw

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Tim Whatley posted:

This but in white.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Tim Whatley posted:

This but without coffee with Robin in 30 minutes.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I got a MacBook Air, my first laptop in roughly a decade. It’s nice having something with a proper operating system and keyboard that plays well with all my iCloud data.

Laptops have gotten really nice since my HP was burning my lap in 2011.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Rolo posted:

I got a MacBook Air, my first laptop in roughly a decade. It’s nice having something with a proper operating system and keyboard that plays well with all my iCloud data.

Laptops have gotten really nice since my HP was burning my lap in 2011.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3981800&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

All laptops suck. At least you got one that'll probably suck less than average!

Duck and Cover has a new favorite as of 03:23 on Oct 20, 2021

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Tim Whatley posted:

Got the 512gb so YEE HAW for me. First new phone in over 3 1/2 years

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Android Apocalypse posted:

This but without coffee with Robin in 30 minutes.

This but 1 extra degree of Fahrenheit

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

Got my eyes lasered 10 years ago, worth every penny.

Got mine done around 10 years ago too, I think I was too young that one place wouldn't do it but another would. One eyes a tiny bit blurry, probably because I hadn't finished growing but they seem to have settled now, it's not bad enough to need glasses since the others perfect. 10/10 would recommend.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Tim Whatley posted:

This but with a woo. And green earbuds.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Also bought a case as well thanks to someone in the android thread pointing out that Spigen offers a free 30w charger with a case purchase

I grabbed the tough armor case because I like the little stand it has on the case.

https://www.spigen.com/collections/pixel-6

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

In case anyone is curious, we ordered our Moccamaster in turquoise, and were delighted to see upon arrival that it almost perfectly matches Kitchen Aid's aqua sky color. Cus like, if my mixer and coffee maker didn't quite match, that was going to be a problem.

Next up, replacing my old department store soft side carry-on roller with a Pelican 1535 Air Travel case. I fly a lot and have more than once had to stand around in the rain a bit. My current bag has four wheels, and I'm not sure how I like going to just two, but I also don't want to spend Rimowa or Zero Haliburton money.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Digital Jedi posted:

Also bought a case as well thanks to someone in the android thread pointing out that Spigen offers a free 30w charger with a case purchase

I grabbed the tough armor case because I like the little stand it has on the case.

https://www.spigen.com/collections/pixel-6

Nice, just grabbed this and a thin fit case. Thanks!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Had some birthday money, so I picked up a Leatherman Wave+

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

ReidRansom posted:

In case anyone is curious, we ordered our Moccamaster in turquoise, and were delighted to see upon arrival that it almost perfectly matches Kitchen Aid's aqua sky color. Cus like, if my mixer and coffee maker didn't quite match, that was going to be a problem.

Next up, replacing my old department store soft side carry-on roller with a Pelican 1535 Air Travel case. I fly a lot and have more than once had to stand around in the rain a bit. My current bag has four wheels, and I'm not sure how I like going to just two, but I also don't want to spend Rimowa or Zero Haliburton money.

I rarely fly but I seem to remember there being some sort of weight limit on baggage is that case itself not 50 pounds? Because the giant pelican case I had was like 50 lbs.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Coffee And Pie posted:

Had some birthday money, so I picked up a Leatherman Wave+

i love this thing, bought mine when it first came out - sees use daily

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Aramek posted:

I rarely fly but I seem to remember there being some sort of weight limit on baggage is that case itself not 50 pounds? Because the giant pelican case I had was like 50 lbs.
You can have luggage that's over 50lbs, but you pay :20bux: for it.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

ReidRansom posted:

We use these as touring tool cases in the UK (and world wide) theatre and events industry. The Air will be light enough as carry on. I strongly suggest that you upgrade the wheels to softer roller blade wheels as soon as you get it. The cheap hard plastic ones make a huge noise when rolling it around.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Aramek posted:

Case itself is 12 lbs. The only time that might be an issue for carry-on is some of those odd flights that impose a 7kg/~15lb limit on carry-ons, which is something I've only run into on smaller regional flights outside the US. I primarily fly American, who don't have a specific weight limit for carry-on baggage, and I think I get two free checked bags on any OneWorld flight anyway, should I run over a limit somewhere.

HERAK posted:

We use these as touring tool cases in the UK (and world wide) theatre and events industry. The Air will be light enough as carry on. I strongly suggest that you upgrade the wheels to softer roller blade wheels as soon as you get it. The cheap hard plastic ones make a huge noise when rolling it around.

Nice tip! Thanks!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I finally bought AirPods.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I waited for the longest time but getting AirPod Pros in July was a great decision. They Just Work which is important with BT devices, especially when you’re constantly connecting/disconnecting them.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Upgraded my Pixel 3 to a 6 (not pro) because this thing holds a charge for all of an hour.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Inzombiac posted:

Upgraded my Pixel 3 to a 6 (not pro) because this thing holds a charge for all of an hour.

The Pixel 5 already has very very good battery life so I imagine you'll be extremely happy with the 6.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Josh Lyman posted:

I waited for the longest time but getting AirPod Pros in July was a great decision. They Just Work which is important with BT devices, especially when you’re constantly connecting/disconnecting them.

The switching between devices is so seamless, it’s great.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Glottis posted:

The Pixel 5 already has very very good battery life so I imagine you'll be extremely happy with the 6.

Lord I hope so. Having to always make sure I carry a charger with me is bunk.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Preordered Roland’s newest beep machine.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Rolo posted:

Preordered Roland’s newest beep machine.

Nice!

I just got this insanely extravagent glorified guitar pedal

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Inzombiac posted:

Same. Pixel 3 is just getting a little long in the tooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Flying to Atlanta in 2 weeks to see my best friend as well as 2 nights of these guys.