Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

Explopyro posted:

Fiction is one of the big ways cultural norms are established and/or expressed, and as such I think it's important to interrogate it. This isn't the only way to engage with fiction, nor am I even saying it's the only important or useful way to do so, but I think it's important not to dismiss this angle.

So, I’ve tried to stay out of this discussion, but I want to point out that this is literally the point of this thread. As I said in the OP and elaborated in the route/act analyses, as an activist, I’ve seen how honest, genuine personal stories drive change more efficiently than any other technique. KS’s magic comes from its ability to get past people’s defenses and challenge their perceptions without setting off alarm bells. Multiple people have come forward in the thread to say how it’s changed their lives. Taking the eating-popcorn approach, while a valid way to consume media, may not be a helpful thing to focus on when things get heated. You don’t have to make your life revolve around KS or whatever, just try to take what happens in the game seriously when you discuss it.

I also want to point out that, when members of a minority group point out an issue with something that relates to them, telling them they’re misreading the situation or it isn’t as big a deal as they think is not a good look. I genuinely don’t think anyone’s been doing that intentionally, and I don’t think the people who’ve done it are bad people or anything. But a couple people have come to me to apologize for their experiences derailing and upsetting the thread, or tries to soften the impact by playing things down. I will not allow this to become necessary. If disabled people in a thread about being disabled feel uncomfortable talking about being disabled, something has gone wrong. It doesn’t matter why or how, it doesn’t matter who is or isn’t in the right, it doesn’t matter how big or small the issue is. If it is the case, something must be done. Is this a dramatic step? Yeah, probably. But I should l have nipped this in the bud somehow and I have no interest in letting the situation evolve further. It’s hard enough for us to overcome the perception that our issues play second fiddle to others’. I will not further it.

And for all that, discussing whether Shizune is a bad person is not a productive conversation. We’ve spent the last few pages in circular arguments about whether or not an extremely anime teenager in a ten-year-old game is or isn’t abusive. In that time, we’ve stepped on each other’s triggers, drawn lines in the sand, and pissed each other off. The only upside is how much more frequently people are posting, and I’m not Mark Zuckerberg enough to think that’s a good tradeoff. I’m sick of this poo poo. And I bet you are too.

So the question is: where do we go next? I don’t honestly think the thread can handle any more :shizune:, so I’m inclined to do something else. But I also don’t want to, like, abandon her route. So should we go on a Rintermission, doing an act or two of her route before heading back? Take a break with something else? Let’s discuss ideas for next steps now; if no clear consensus emerges, I’ll call for a vote in a day or two. Also, I’ll probably come back to this post and edit it later to make sure everything holds together, so keep an eye on this space.

E: Welp, no better way to start a page I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
In a topic like this, there was eventually going to be a situation where people crossed boundaries though I doubt that this was intentional. If I have accidentally crossed a line, then I sincerely apologize. That being said, I feel that abandoning Shizune's route is going a bit too far. We can't see if/how she improves as a character without completing her route and giving her as much of a chance as we did with Emi and Hanako.

I'm reminded of a discord server I was a part of for a few years. It could get pretty heated at times because as a large server, people would inevitably bring up a topic that caused anxiety for another poster. The solution that was eventually settled upon was a 'trigger channel', where people could and did submit various topics that would cause them to become upset. Another channel was created so that if a topic that was considered a 'trigger' did come up, the conversation could move into that channel instead. We can't do that exactly here on the forums, but we could do something similar.

Perhaps we could create a Discord where if it looks like the forum posts are getting too heated, the people who want to discuss it could move there to hash it out. Since Discord conversations are generally faster than a posting conversation here on SA, it could help prevent aggression from building up like I've seen with other postings forums or in reply sections for webcomics and such. We probably should also create a list of trigger topics and be a little more liberal with using trigger warnings in our postings; it's better to be too cautious than to accidentally upset someone.

Anyways, those are my thoughts. Hope they can help!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I'll try to be concise as I can with this, cause I'm bad and get :words:-y quite quick.

I like this thread (and the posters/discussions in it) a lot because I like getting other's perspective on things. We (humans) all view the world through the perspective we experience first: our own. And this can lead to a very limited view on things if all you do is pay attention to yourself. The thread, the OP, the posters, and the game have all been really cool and educational to read because of the ability to read so many different perspectives, and frankly is the main reason I follow the thread.

With all that said, I would like it if Shizune's route was continued. As rough going as it has been so far, we've only just hit the point where we get to actually see what Shizune herself is signing without the filter of Misha and that feels like a pretty big turning point story wise to me. Having a clearer view on what Shizune actually intends as opposed to what Misha conveys to Hisao just from the previous two updates has been pretty major already imo.

Also I'm invested in the story at this point and would like to see the completion of the character arcs and such to see how it turns out.

Unrelated, but Falconier111 would it be possible to add the Act we're in at the top of updates? I feel like you did for a bit but even just a regular "Act 2, middle" or however you chose would give a better point of reference for where these things happen in relation to the other routes. Shizune's route especially has felt a bit disjointed and hard to place compared to how slow Hanako's route was.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Definitely don't stop the route, it's just getting interesting.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

For what it's worth, I obviously won't speak for anyone else but please don't feel obligated to disrupt any of your plans on my account (and, if I'm honest, I think disrupting the route only to come back will make things worse if anything; we've come this far, let's finish it out). My issues are my own to deal with and I'm definitely going to try to take a step back. I'm sorry if anything I said escalated things.

I also want to point out that, if we disregard how charged the discussion has gotten, in a way this very debate is a success of the game and/or the thread goals as you've laid them out. We're discussing the issue of whether or not Shizune is being abusive almost completely irrespective of her disability. She's a person who may or may not be engaging in bad behaviour, but that has very little to do with her deafness (there are some communication issues that are exacerbated by the language barrier, but that hasn't been germane to most of this discussion).

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Discussion involves disagreement. People in this thread have different - and contradictory - ideas of how humans should behave to each other. Those are going to be informed by our personal experiences, which can be touchy subjects, individually but don't mean you cannot disagree productively or have a discussion.

Also keep the route going, it's just getting interesting.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I waited a while before responding to make sure this wasn't depression talking (BTW, hi, depression and ADHD here), but even having to ask that question is its own answer. So, I think it's for the best for myself and the thread in general. I'm checking out here. Sorry for stinking up the place. For whatever it's worth, I'd say to keep going with Shizune's route. Hopefully without me around it'll be less volatile.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'd rather keep going with Shizune's route. Like mentioned before, we just got to the part where Misha isn't filtering her anymore and it's already interesting seeing the difference.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

that was a pretty quick consensus lol

Yeah, I did kinda kneejerk there, but in fairness, I was trying to stop an issue before it got out of hand. Which I did, so, hurray?

Waiting for another few hours to see if the rest of the thread before making a final determination.

Psycho Lawnmower
Apr 1, 2011

For the cow-borrowing glory and infinite wisdom of Elmal! Cheese for everyone!
I think we should continue, to see if she recognizes if she herself is causing some problems, because that feels like where the story is going in my mind.

Like....I'm not entirely sure that, this time, Hisao will be entirely at fault. As much as I contest his actions in Hanako's...I haven't seen him do anything here, and go one step farther and pick up the language naturally. This is also very much not the Hisao of the past two routes, and we might see him actually do some teaching instead.

As for this conversation...I know what I've seen, and I know what I've said about Shizune. The proof is in the LP itself..And unlike some other people we've stopped talking about, she's kinda integral to this route. I think recognizing her problems is one thing, along with stories of how that bothers people. Do I think this will change? Yeah, probably..But the sooner we get through this, the sooner we might be able to find ourselves able to have a conversation that isn't so distressing on its face.

Psycho Lawnmower fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 14, 2021

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
My vote is stick with the route. I find it kind of funny that we're having communication difficulties during the route about communication difficulties tho.

I find it really interesting the extent to which Shizune seems to be motivated by competition, when Misha doesn't seem to give a rip about it. For two people who are so close, that's quite the contrast.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I've held off on joining the discussion because I know I'd be unable to get my ideas across adequately, I'd be sure to step on someone's trigger, and honestly, the ideas I was going over in my head were turning over some rocks I hadn't disturbed in decades and letting horrible things skitter into the daylight, so I needed to sort those out before I could even begin to sort out the perceptions of others.

That said, I think the general gist of my statements would be that Misha is a serious addition to the problem. Both girls are pushy in different ways and for different reasons, and the two together wind up heterodyning. Misha is also an unreliable translator, as we've seen. Even if she's slacking off because she knows Hisao can understand Shizune, that's still a lovely thing to do on the off chance he doesn't have the grasp of the language she expected.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
On the bad translation note I'd like to say that the actual evidence we have for it is bad. It's actually not at all surprising that Hisao's interpretations would be different from Misha's considering the difference in experience in both the language and with Shizune herself. Interpreting is an art not a science even at the best of times. Sign languages don't map 1 to 1 to their spoken counterparts and a lot of meaning is conveyed through body language and facial expression in addition to the signs themselves. Differences in interpretation in anything but the most simple or direct sentences would be pretty much inevitable even if Hisao wasn't a beginner.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Dire Lemming posted:

On the bad translation note I'd like to say that the actual evidence we have for it is bad. It's actually not at all surprising that Hisao's interpretations would be different from Misha's considering the difference in experience in both the language and with Shizune herself. Interpreting is an art not a science even at the best of times. Sign languages don't map 1 to 1 to their spoken counterparts and a lot of meaning is conveyed through body language and facial expression in addition to the signs themselves. Differences in interpretation in anything but the most simple or direct sentences would be pretty much inevitable even if Hisao wasn't a beginner.

This is true but Misha's tone definitely does not match the body language of Shizune.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Barring any major objections, we'll be going ahead with her route; expect the next update Friday as usual. Keep posting, folks, let's just hold off from passing judgment on Shizune's character a bit.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016

Marluxia posted:

This is true but Misha's tone definitely does not match the body language of Shizune.

True but that's kinda just a limitation of interpreting. Interpreting works great in business, political and academic settings where the interpreter can try to minimise their own part in the conversation and let the content speak for itself. In casual conversation the content itself isn't the only or even most important part but as you say the tone and such. If you're wanting to get that across you're not asking for an interpreter, you're asking for an actor. The important thing is that Shizune is aware of this and is okay with it and it seems to me like she is.

Actually this is the practical reason why it's important that you look at the person you're actually speaking with and not the interpreter in addition to being polite.

Dire Lemming fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 14, 2021

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Falconier111 posted:

So should we go on a Rintermission, doing an act or two of her route before heading back? Take a break with something else?

Rin's route feels six times longer than everyone else's and is emotionally exhausting. Not the palate cleanser I would've chosen, but it's definitely a massive change from Shizune's.

However, I'd much rather finish Shizune's route. She's not all that bad, she's a person of great force and will without the primary means for delivering those two things to other people.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dire Lemming posted:

Falconier111 posted:

SHIZUNE: "[It's because of the previous generation.]”

SHIZUNE: "[The leadership decided that outside storage costs had risen too much, and the Student Council before us was too weak-willed to tell them that it's stupid to have to build and disassemble sixty stalls twice every year.] …!”

MISHA: "Okay~!!"

Maybe this is authorial fiat not wanting to make the player read two text boxes explaining the same thing and Misha's actually translating the whole thing and we only see the actual ellipsis, but A) It sure looks like Misha just translated two entire text boxes as a single word and 2) How does Hisao know "generation" but not "okay"?

Dareon fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 14, 2021

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Funktor posted:

I find it really interesting the extent to which Shizune seems to be motivated by competition, when Misha doesn't seem to give a rip about it. For two people who are so close, that's quite the contrast.

TBH this is the sort of thing that makes sense to me. There are quite a few personality traits that agree better with complement than with similarity. Competitiveness is a good one, where two competitive people can wear each other out pretty fast.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016

Dareon posted:

Maybe this is authorial fiat not wanting to make the player read two text boxes explaining the same thing and Misha's only translating the actual ellipsis, but A) It sure looks like Misha just translated two entire text boxes as a single word and 2) How does Hisao know "generation" but not "okay"?

It follows this though

Falconier111 posted:

SHIZUNE: "[It's a storage issue. The school doesn't have anywhere to store so many stalls, since each one is pretty large. They won't pay for outside storage either, so this is what they decided on. It's inefficient, but cheaper.]"

MISHA: "Because~! the school doesn't have anywhere to store that many stalls, Hicchan."

SHIZUNE: "..."

MISHA: "Ah, yeah yeah~, right, they do, but they don't want to pay~! Sorry, Shicchan~..."

So her "okay" there seems like an "okay I got it" to me. She did an incomplete interpretation of what Shizune said, Shizune called her on it and then elaborates further and Misha basically cuts her off without translating the rest because she wants to move on. Or it could be author fiat, Shizune's next line doesn't explicitly get translated by Misha either. I'm not going to say Misha's interpretations are perfect but they're a long long way from bad or irresponsible.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Evil Kit posted:

Unrelated, but Falconier111 would it be possible to add the Act we're in at the top of updates? I feel like you did for a bit but even just a regular "Act 2, middle" or however you chose would give a better point of reference for where these things happen in relation to the other routes. Shizune's route especially has felt a bit disjointed and hard to place compared to how slow Hanako's route was.

Just, like, add that in before the update title?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Falconier111 posted:

Just, like, add that in before the update title?

Yeah that would be really cool!

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Yeah, like everyone else, I'd say continue with Shizune's route. Jumping around would only muddle things, I think.

Explopyro posted:

I think, in many ways, we're reprising the old "Ask Culture versus Guess Culture" dichotomy that got a lot of discussion a few years back. (Here's a good basic overview.)

To sum it up the best way I can, these are two different basic paradigms for how communication of requests might work. "Ask culture" boils down to "it's OK to ask for anything, but they might say no". "Guess culture" is trickier to summarise but is something like "saying no is rude, so people shouldn't ask for things unless they know the answer is likely to be yes". The "guess" aspect comes down to the fact that very often, in these cultures, what actually happens is that people communicate in subtler ways so the person will offer the thing without needing to be asked (facile example: "Oh, your food looks really tasty." "Would you like a bite?", as opposed to the Ask Culture version, "Can I taste that?")

I'm one of those people who takes a fairly hardline stance on this that Ask Culture should be normalised, because Guess Culture (well, guess cultures) require too many unstated assumptions and turn harmful far too easily, but I've seen nuanced takes on it that convince me it's not quite so simple. These are two different forms of communication that people engage in in different contexts (and, for that matter, some people might be Askers in one domain or context and Guessers in another; this model is an oversimplification). People who are raised Guess have a really hard time transitioning out of it, and perceive Ask Culture as rudeness or presumptiveness.

Also, as we've discussed already, neurotypicality is another dimension that complicates this; arguably, Guess cultures operate under an assumption that everyone involved is neurotypical.

But, regardless, as this piece I'm fond of linking points out, in a sexual or romantic context, Guess Culture looks an awful lot like rape culture, and that isn't okay.

On top of that, a lot of mainstream romance tropes very obviously run on a Guess Culture substrate. How many times have I heard "but asking for consent is unsexy!" (sigh). The romantic ideal in fiction so often comes down to "they know each other's minds so well they don't have to ask". When this sort of thing becomes culturally idealised, it's even easier to doubt your own perceptions, or have a harder time communicating that you're not okay with a thing that's happening.

(Possible trigger warning: stuff about consent:)

This is something I've found myself thinking about a lot over the years. I know it's something I was especially preoccupied with when I was quite young and didn't have any romantic experience. I was always worried that it seemed extremely difficult to know the difference between "sweeping someone off their feet" and "being a sex pest".

When I was at Uni I had a series of women think that I was too cautious, and insinuate variations of "asking for consent is a turn-off" to me. One of them even explicitly said that when making a move on someone, I shouldn't ask first but instead just go for it. To be fair, she was one to practice what she preached there, and obviously me describing it off-hand like this doesn't do justice to the context she was saying it in... but still.

So many women telling me that did have an influence on how I thought about consent for a while, and not always for the best. (Deep down I was still sceptical about what they were saying though, so it could certainly have been worse.)

The move away from "no means no" and more towards "only yes means yes" or even "only an enthusiastic yes means yes" - and the movement to educate people about these ideas - seems pretty great to me. Apart from the obvious benefits, if it can also reduce some of the quite heavy burden on the person saddled with saying "hey... wanna bone?", that would be cool. (It can be agonising for people with anxiety.)

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

:eng101: As requested, I’ll be including short guides on where we are in the route with each update title. If there’s desire, I can go back and add this in for all past updates, though I do dread how much fine work that’ll take. :eng101:

Update 68: Interface (Act 2, Scenes 6-7)

Katawa Shoujo OST ~ Passing of Time

(Silence)

I throw back my daily fistful of pills with a glass of water. After a solid eight hours of sleep, I don't really know what I was so afraid of last night.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Raindrops and Puddles

As I chew a particularly large tablet in half, I continue to rationalize my worries away. Shizune knew I was taking sign language classes all day yesterday, and didn't make a big deal out of it. She might be mute, but that doesn't mean she can't make her feelings known. No, in fact, it seems like she's all the more direct for it. She doesn't beat around the bush or hold back, she always makes herself clear unapologetically, so there can be no mistakes. So, if she wasn't mad then, it's unlikely she would be at all. And on top of that, I didn't do anything wrong, anyway.

But as that fear of mine recedes, the thought of spending a couple days with Shizune without Misha takes its place. I hadn't really thought about it yesterday, but the idea becomes more and more intimidating. It's true I can understand sign language pretty well, but... I would definitely hesitate to say I can understand it above a basic level, and if she were to speed up her signing, which she does quite a bit, I don't think I could keep up. Signing, too, is not my strong suit. Doing both at the same time like Misha can is still a distant dream.

MISHA: "Hicchan~!"

HISAO: "What?"

MISHA: "Don't forget, you said you would help out with building stalls today~! Behind the school after classes are over, okay~?"

HISAO: "I know, I know."

MISHA: "Last time you helped out, Hicchan, we really appreciated it~! This time, it's even more important, so skipping out is unforgivable, okay?"

I want to ask why that is, but there isn't any opportunity to. Besides, Misha is behind in her classes, so it seems like a bad idea to distract her now that I know that. I can always ask her at lunch, which is what I end up doing.

MISHA: "Because, Hicchan, a festival that celebrates a town is exactly what it sounds like. It's to celebrate your home and its history. Tanabata is different, it's for wishes and lovers~! That definitely makes it more important, doesn't it? Yeah~, naturally, it would be~."

HISAO: "Is that really what it's for, though?"

MISHA: "Hicchan, you have no sense of fun..."

She puffs out her cheeks in displeasure before blowing the air out like a deflating balloon.

MISHA: "You have to appreciate things like that, even if it's just an excuse to eat interesting things and dress up in the end~! I'll be disappointed in you if you don't, okay?"

Before I can say anything, she turns to the side to inhale a croquette.

(Silence)

After classes, I meet Shizune behind the school, where it seems she already set everything up sometime yesterday.

She greets me with a short wave, and then with a flourish of the hammer already in her hand, extends her arm towards the stalls behind her, some of them already half completed, others still haphazard piles of board bundled together with string.

As time passes, I realize the pills can only do so much. I still get way more tired than should be normal. Luckily, Shizune's back is to me, so I can afford to take a lot of breaks without having to worry about her wondering why. When I stop and think about it, though, I start to feel pretty guilty for taking advantage of her inability to hear that my hammer's stopped banging. It's a terrible thing to be happy about. Her work ethic is admirable. It's obvious that it bores her, and even annoys her, but she doesn't slacken her pace. When she gets tired nailing a stall together with one arm, she switches to the other.

HISAO: "Shizune—"

I feel like an idiot the second I say her name. I can't tell her what I think. There's a hammer in my hand as well, and in the end, I feel like I have to keep up with her. I can't slack off either, especially when it's just the two of us. There's no time to sign, no opportunity. Not even for a compliment for a job well done. Even something as casual as that would require me to put my hammer down, get her attention, and then sign it to her. A simple gesture turned into something so needlessly complex, like a single footstep taken on a road that's longer than first imagined. I've known her long enough to know this, and still forgot it.

The air is filled with the rhythmic knocking of nails being driven into wood. It's actually kind of nice after a while. To pass the monotony of the task at hand, I try to match my hammering to Shizune's, then alternate it to try and form a beat. Of course, she doesn't notice. It makes me wonder, does the lack of sound make this work seem more drawn out and boring to her? Is it strange, being unable to hear the results of her actions even as she feels the vibrations through her fingers? Or, having no concept of sound, does it bother her at all? Distracted, I don't notice Shizune sneaking up on me until her head pops into view.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Air Guitar

SHIZUNE: “[Taking a break]?"

HISAO: “[Yeah, I guess.]"

SHIZUNE: “[Okay, let's do that. You can understand sign language. That makes it more convenient for both of us. Even though you hid it from me.]"

HISAO: "Hahaha..."

SHIZUNE: “[Why?]"

HISAO: “[Why what?]"

SHIZUNE: “[Why did you decide to take sign language?]"

Her eyes don't break off from mine even for a second, if she needs to read my response, her peripheral vision is good enough. Once she has something in her gaze, she doesn't look away.

It's strange how piercing her eyes can be, dark as a lake at night.

HISAO: “[Because I wanted to. It seemed like it would come in handy. And it did, didn't it?]"

SHIZUNE: “[Yes.] …”

HISAO: "[Sorry, I didn't catch any of that. See? This kind of thing still comes up now and then. I wish Misha was here.]"

SHIZUNE: “[She has work to make up for, doesn't she? That might be partly my fault. Misha doesn't need supplemental lessons. Her grades aren't the best, but she understands how the decisions she makes affect others. That puts her ahead of many people. Especially certain blondes.]"

HISAO: "Ah..."

She doesn't forget things easily.

SHIZUNE: “[Your sign language is very good. You're learning oddly fast.]"

HISAO: “[I've been taking classes for a while now. And it's kind of easy to pick up after awhile, through immersion, or osmosis, that kind of thing. It's not too bad. And if I'm really stuck, Misha's there, too.]"

SHIZUNE: "... ..."

I guess I spoke too soon. I didn't understand any of that. Time to backpedal.

HISAO: “[Well, yeah, it's actually not that easy. It's actually hard as hell. Like trying to pick up broken glass. But I guess in some ways it's interesting, as well. Like an adventure. Well, no...]"

SHIZUNE: “[Picking up broken glass is not an adventure.]"

HISAO: “[Sure it is. It's just as challenging.]"

SHIZUNE: “[If you use a dustpan and a broom it's not.]"

I feel frustrated and sad. When I look up, I notice she has a can of soda in her hand.

HISAO: "Where did you get that?"

I forget to sign it, but she understands anyway, following my eyes, and produces another one from behind her back. She tosses it in my direction, and I catch it with both hands.

SHIZUNE: “[I brought an extra one for you.]"

She pauses to slide her fingernail under the tab of her can and pop it open before setting it aside for a moment.

SHIZUNE: “[If you are going to try and help me so much, then I have to look out for you too. It's only natural. If you're going to learn sign language, that is something entirely different. I'm naturally going to be impressed. What separates the two is obligation. I'm very happy.]"

She downs her drink in one go, stretches her arms behind her back and jumps to her feet.

(Silence)

And like that, it's over. Shizune returns to her work with the same energy as before, the lingering traces of a smile on her face the only evidence that she had taken a break at all.

:eng101: Over the next several seconds, the scenery gradually transitions from afternoon to nightfall. It’s timed so it’ll wrap up by the middle of the next paragraph. :eng101:

As I do the same, I think that Misha was right in saying everything would work out for the best. Everything so far seems to be going in that direction. Misha swings by as it starts to get darker, looking just as tired as I feel, and Shizune decides to stop for today. As we cover the day's work and go our separate ways, I look at how fluidly they talk to each other, and how easily they laugh together as they walk to their dorm. It makes me appreciate Misha's skill at sign language more. I wonder if I'll ever reach that level, or if I even will have the time to.

(Silence)

The first thing I do this morning is trip once again over Kenji's package as I get out of bed, finding myself diving headfirst into the floor before I'm even fully awake. I want to smack this thing with the first blunt object I can find, like I'm going for a home run, but I don't even have the energy for that this early in the morning... and it would likely damage whatever's inside. And that would be mean.

I slide it into the hallway. It sails along the smooth floor with little difficulty and stops with a soft and almost inaudible bump on colliding with Kenji's door. Immediately, a dozen locks unbolt in succession like a mounting symphony.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Out of the Loop

KENJI: "Who is it?"

He says, as he blindly steps forward into the hallway anyway, somehow stepping over the box in a way that would be uncharacteristically, impressively graceful if it weren't for the fact I know it was wholly accidental.

HISAO: "It's me, I got your mail. You're standing over it."

KENJI: "I know. Thanks a lot, man."

HISAO: "...Yeah, whatever. So what's in it?"

He cringes, instantly turning very defensive and agitated.

KENJI: "It's nothing."

HISAO: "Come on, tell me, I'm curious. And you know, I almost broke my neck falling over it, and before that I had to carry the stupidly large box around with it blocking my vision, crossing roads with it in front of me... I think you can at least tell me what's inside in return."

KENJI: "It's secret stuff. I can't tell you, because then it wouldn't be very secret and poo poo. It's nothing important."

HISAO: "Well, if it's nothing important, you can tell me."

KENJI: "If it's nothing important, why do you have to know?"

HISAO: "Why is that wrong?"

KENJI: "Why do you have to know?"

HISAO: "Why can't I know?"

KENJI: "Why are you answering my questions with questions?"

HISAO: "Why won't you answer my first question?"

KENJI: "Why won't you answer my last question?!"

I realize our voices are getting higher with each reply. Down the hall, a door pops open and someone sticks his head out quizzically to see what is going on. We must look like such tools, but I bet I'm the only one out of the two of us with enough shame to realize it.

HISAO: "Fine, you can take it to your grave. I have to get ready for school anyway."

KENJI: "drat, no. Why are you so hasty to leave? Stick around a little. You want some coffee? It's been a while. You know, I thought you were dead since you were so slow with the package delivery."

HISAO: "You're lucky I was willing to do package delivery in the first place, smartass!"

KENJI: "Whoa, calm down. Man, you are so confrontational. Is it because of the Student Council thing? I hear you hang out with them now."

HISAO: "You heard it from me. When I told you."

KENJI: "Really? Yeah, well, whatever, man. The point is they are terrible. You're the new guy, so of course you wouldn't know, but around here she's a very divisive figure. Before you came here, she tried to institute a badge policy. It's a long story, so maybe you should sit down."

I look around for a chair, but can't find one as we are in a goddamn hallway. I raise a finger and start thinking that maybe I should tell him that, but he's already started talking. Not wanting to waste the arm movement, I look at my watch instead.

KENJI: "It would have been a real reign of terror, if it had happened."

HISAO: "Wait, you're judging her based on something that didn't even happen?"

KENJI: "Yes. Anyway, her idea was like merit badges, but there would also be demerit badges."

HISAO: "What would those do?"

KENJI: "I don't know, it never happened. It seemed bad, though, so when I heard about it I didn't leave my room for a few weeks."

(Silence)

HISAO: "So you heard there would be massive change and hid in your room, trying to just ride the change out."

KENJI: "Nah, I decided to do something about it. I found the student council office after a while and marched right in with a list of demands and a bunch of people I grabbed in order to make myself look like I had supporters."

HISAO: "Wait, so not only did it not happen, but no one even cared?"

Kenji doesn't hear me, having gotten a good momentum going. Wrapped up in the energy of his own ranting, he starts to completely flip out and flail his arms, appearing to wildly throw gang signs.

KENJI: "I walked up to the desk and said to her, “Hey you, fascist woman! What is this badge idea? How out of touch can you be, here in your ivory tower, smugly looking down upon us like we're just a bunch of idiots? Who do you think you are? Your level of elitism is terrible, you're probably one of those outrageous rich people who have chaffeurs drive them around slums so they can point and laugh... ...and only drink pricey coffee beans shat out by the last living dinosaur and brewed in a solid gold skull. And how could you? Go open up a history book; don't you know that the bourgeoisie are always overthrown in a bloody revolution for poo poo like this? Stupid! You're an idiot! Sure, the revolutionaries usually end up turning everything into an utter clusterfuck later on, but a maniac is the only kind of person who would create a policy like this... ...it's like something I would create to make people suffer, only real and you want to institutionalize it! Where will this desecration of our rights end? We are people! This is not justice!” That's what I said. Then I added a cry of “They can take our things, but they'll never take our freeeeeedoooooom!” to appeal to the masses like in that movie about the life of William Wallace where they took his things but not his freedom, and then killed him.”

(Silence)

KENJI: "...But she just ignored me and didn't even look up from writing in her little paper poo poo. Maybe I overwhelmed her with my logic, so badly that she just retreated into denial. Maybe she is just an rear end in a top hat. Either way, she didn't reply, and the future refused to change. To top it off, on the way back I realized I had lost my student ID somewhere. This is the story of my life. A constant and seemingly futile struggle. Like trying to climb up a brick wall with sponges for hands."

HISAO: "Hey, you said nothing changed, but she didn't make everyone wear a bunch of stupid badges. So, it did change."

KENJI: "Yeah, that's true. Okay, maybe they're not so bad, then."

I guess that counts for something, if I can get Kenji to admit that maybe two women may not be so bad after all. I'll take it. Especially if it allows me to slip out of this conversation; I didn't realize how much time had gone by.

(Silence)

I try to run through my usual morning routine as quickly as possible. I check my watch again as I leave the dorms and see that I'm already late. Fortunately, the rest of the day goes more smoothly, and after classes are over, I head to meet with Shizune again.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Daylight

Behind the school, I catch her leaning against a completed stand with parts of it still flecked with bits of paper and tape, remnants of signs from the last time it was used. Absentmindedly spinning a nail in her hand, she hasn't noticed me yet. The temptation to sneak up on her is unbearable. Years of watching foreign wildlife documentaries have prepared me for this. I'm downwind, conditions are favorable. However, the more I think about it, the more it seems like a bad idea. If get caught halfway I'll look like an idiot, and if she doesn't know it's me, I could end up with an injury. Either way, I'll also look a little insensitive. So, it would probably be best not to try anything funny... as disappointing as it is.

I walk in front of her, startling her a little."

HISAO: “[Why so surprised? Did I catch you slacking off?]"

SHIZUNE: “[No, I was taking a break.]"

HISAO: “[You don't look like you even broke a sweat. That's some break there, president.]"

Shizune's eyes dart back and forth momentarily, and I think I've managed to fluster her. There's exasperation on her face, and a little tension as well, but she can't back down; that would be unthinkable for her. Her fingers dance across each other impatiently.

SHIZUNE: “[You're acting competitive today. Are you trying to get my blood boiling? Do you want to make it a contest? We'll race to see who can construct the most stalls by sundown.]"

HISAO: “[No, no! I'm teasing you. That's okay, it's not a real Student Council if you can't tease the Student Council president a little. You agree, don't you?]"

SHIZUNE: “[That isn't in the student council charter, so it isn't true.]"

HISAO: “[There is no charter!]"

At least, I don't think there is. The only thing they pledge loyalty to are a stack of takeout menus.

SHIZUNE: “[Anyway, it's good that you're finally here, even if you could have been earlier. Pick up a hammer and we'll resume where we left off.]"

As we work assembling stalls again, I slowly realize that it's really much less work than I would have expected. In fact, according to Shizune, we should be done by the end of the day with a little luck. The last time I did something like this for them, it took her, Misha, and myself almost four days to do it. It can't be just my imagination.

HISAO: “[You know, this doesn't seem like that much work.]"

SHIZUNE: “[Because it isn't.]"

That answer leaves me wanting a little more. Knowing that it isn't the best, Shizune puts down her hammer to elaborate.

SHIZUNE: “[It would be impossible for two people to do that much work in less than a week. The truth is that I don't dismantle half the stalls, I just store them someplace else. Actually, more like I hide them in plain sight."

She waggles a finger mischievously.

SHIZUNE: “[But that's a secret, and it's not proper to reveal the tricks of the trade.]"

HISAO: “[You're not a magician.]"

Winking, she takes out two plastic containers from her bag, then puts them down on a nearby board before raising her hands slightly as if to say “ta-da!”

SHIZUNE: “[I made lunch today for both of us. You can have this one. The food shifted in my bag and now some of it is mixed together.]"

She hands me one of the containers. I open it. It looks delicious, if a little simple. She hands me a pair of chopsticks, as if she had just remembered to, and I eat what looks like some grilled beef.

HISAO: “[It's very tasty. You don't like your food touching other food?]"

SHIZUNE: “[I do not.]"

HISAO: “[You're very picky.]"

SHIZUNE: “[Sometimes I mix my food on my own, but not always, and not everything. I don't like it when it's done for me. What is important is the choice.]"

She points decisively to emphasize it, and then breaks her chopsticks apart to eat her own meal. As I continue to eat, I notice two things. The first is that almost everything I'm eating besides the rice is fried. Even the vegetables are fried. And there's so much meat. Does she eat this kind of stuff all the time? I wonder how she manages to stay so thin in spite of it. The second thing I notice is that I can't talk to her while eating. Talking with your mouth full is a little rude anyway, but with our hands holding our chopsticks and bowls, communication between us is impossible. Just like yesterday. Even though we're spending time together, even though I took the time to learn sign language, it feels like I'm talking to her less. Despite that, it also feels like I'm understanding her more.

(Silence)

I hear the sound of something tapping against one of the stands and look up to see Lilly standing off to my side, feeling her way around with her cane.

HISAO: "Hi."

I narrowly catch myself before I can say “didn't see you there.”

LILLY: "Oh, Hisao, is that you? I thought that I smelled something delicious cooking, and wondered who it might be."

SHIZUNE: “[What is she saying?]"

It's hard to move my hands in parallel to saying something completely different to Lilly. This has to be why Misha just signs everything all the time. A bit sillier, but it seems like it would simplify things a lot.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Fripperies

Shizune tents her fingers delightedly at my translation, as if from hearing a joke.

SHIZUNE: “[All of this food was cooked hours ago, but for someone as slow as yourself, who can't even turn in a piece of paper without being a week late, I guess your perception of time would have to be a little different!]"

HISAO: "That's... not very nice."

A frown crosses Lilly's face in response to a reply to something she didn't hear.

HISAO: "Ah, sorry. I'm just having a late lunch here. The Student Council president cooked everything."

LILLY: "Is the Student Council president here right now?"

HISAO: "She's right here."

LILLY: "I apologize, I didn't notice. Normally her level of presence is much higher. I was not aware that the Student Council serves lunch outdoors, why wasn't I invited? I think that it is good to have enough free time to be able to do things like this, however."

SHIZUNE: “[What is she saying?]"

SHIZUNE: “[If I were to invite you anywhere, you would just show up late.]"

But Shizune's words are outside of Lilly's perception, a fact that is by the second increasingly maddening to her.

SHIZUNE: “[Translate for me completely, please.]"

What polite phrasing. It's a shame she's essentially asking me to let her fully release the dogs of war. Still, I can't just do nothing. The feeling of being unable to even respond and be understood is so isolating. She would never forgive me. I'll just try to soften her words a little.

HISAO: "Well, actually, this was all cooked a while ago."

LILLY: "Really? That's nice."

SHIZUNE: “[Turn over here, it's very disrespectful to not look at the person you're speaking to. That isn't the way a prim and proper lady should conduct herself.]"

HISAO: "Half of what I'm saying is really what Shizune is saying. She doesn't like it when people don't look in her direction when she's trying to make a point. She's, uh, to the right of my voice."

Although in this case I can understand why Lilly wouldn't. This is a very awkward situation and it's daunting being the sole conduit for dialogue between the two of them. Truthfully, I had forgotten what happened the last time they butted heads like this. It's clear Shizune remembers, and Lilly is being pretty hostile herself, in her own way.

LILLY: "I'm sorry, such formalities slipped my mind completely. I forgot that the Student Council president is the type of person who would demand such respect and adherence to the rules at all times. I suppose student government requires you to keep a tight ship. Then again, she certainly has time for her own fun as well, so that must not be completely true."

SHIZUNE: “[Student Council is not a dictatorship, nor a zero-sum game!]"

Shizune points at Lilly with her finger out like the barrel of a gun and snaps her fingers explosively, causing her to flinch and become visibly upset.

:eng101: Every time Shizune snaps (including now) the game plays a finger snap sound effect deliberately mixed to be louder than everything else. :eng101:

LILLY: "Is that so? Then that makes it more impressive that you have been a part of it for so long, playing it as though it were one. I admire the fact that you are so tenacious. To manage it all, you must be so responsible as well."

SHIZUNE: “[Not as much as I would like to be. You can't complain about yourself, though, can you? You're very responsible; actions like requesting a deadline to be extended and then running all the way through to the next deadline? That's the very model of responsibility!]"

HISAO: "Shizune is happy to hear that. But, apparently you're pretty responsible yourself, she says."

LILLY: "Does she really?"

HISAO: "More or less..."

Lilly doesn't seem very happy.

HISAO: "We're not holding a cookout, we're just taking a little lunch break. We're actually out here building stalls for the festival."

SHIZUNE: “[You wouldn't know, since you never go outside. Did you run out of tea?]"

HISAO: "Are you going into town? Shopping?"

LILLY: "No. As I said before, I was just passing by, in case you did not hear. I would hate to interrupt the Student Council president. You're not doing anything now, but you must both be very busy. In any case, Hisao, I'm sure that the Student Council president will be able to find or make work for the both of you if she needs to.”

SHIZUNE: “[I'll devour you!]"

HISAO: "Yeah, very busy."

“Devour” is a hard word. I'm pleased that I can read it. This isn't time to celebrate, thought, not over that. Instead, it looks like they might stop squabbling. I would drink to that.

LILLY: "Have a nice day, Hisao. Goodbye, Student Council president."

HISAO: "Thanks, you too."

SHIZUNE: “[Stay classy.]"

(Silence)

As soon as Lilly leaves, Shizune dives into the remains of her lunch as quickly as possible, as if each bite she shovels away is a means to forgetting any of this ever happened.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Holy poo poo is that an uncomfortable situation to be thrust into. I have a hard time blaming Hisao for not directly translating both sides of the conversation (inexperience combined with "why the gently caress would you say that to someone!?"), and I find it hilarious that both Shizune and Lilly were both 100% aware not only of how little he was translating, but more or less exactly the tone the other was taking.

It definitely highlights the need Shizune has for an adult translator who isn't part of the conversation though, especially as part of the Student Council. There's not really a clean way for Hisao to be part of the conversation while he is doing the translating, and on top of that, it's even more awkward because he more or less is the one who initiated it in the first place.

Edit: I really wish it had shown what Hisao was signing to Shizune

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Dirk the Average posted:

Holy poo poo is that an uncomfortable situation to be thrust into. I have a hard time blaming Hisao for not directly translating both sides of the conversation (inexperience combined with "why the gently caress would you say that to someone!?"), and I find it hilarious that both Shizune and Lilly were both 100% aware not only of how little he was translating, but more or less exactly the tone the other was taking.

It definitely highlights the need Shizune has for an adult translator who isn't part of the conversation though, especially as part of the Student Council. There's not really a clean way for Hisao to be part of the conversation while he is doing the translating, and on top of that, it's even more awkward because he more or less is the one who initiated it in the first place.

Edit: I really wish it had shown what Hisao was signing to Shizune

Yeah, I agree with all this. I know that Shizune is in a rather unique situation being both deaf and mute, but I'm wondering if there are any other options for her outside of having a translator. Even if they weren't around or weren't common when the game was made, are there other options for people who are deaf/mute today outside of having a permanent translator? Like something with computers to speak for them and type out what others are saying? I mean, it wouldn't have made the conversation any less awkward, but at least Hisao wouldn't have been put in the position of translating for both Lilly and Shizune and having to decide whether to translate everything honestly or try to tone things down.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

Yeah, I agree with all this. I know that Shizune is in a rather unique situation being both deaf and mute, but I'm wondering if there are any other options for her outside of having a translator. Even if they weren't around or weren't common when the game was made, are there other options for people who are deaf/mute today outside of having a permanent translator? Like something with computers to speak for them and type out what others are saying? I mean, it wouldn't have made the conversation any less awkward, but at least Hisao wouldn't have been put in the position of translating for both Lilly and Shizune and having to decide whether to translate everything honestly or try to tone things down.

I was going to suggest a dry-erase board, but then that doesn't help Lily at all. I can't think of a way for a deaf & mute individual to communicate with a blind individual. There's just no common channel of communication without a third-party translating visual language into auditory language. I'm sure there's a stupidly simple solution to this that I'm just not getting.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

raifield posted:

I was going to suggest a dry-erase board, but then that doesn't help Lily at all. I can't think of a way for a deaf & mute individual to communicate with a blind individual. There's just no common channel of communication without a third-party translating visual language into auditory language. I'm sure there's a stupidly simple solution to this that I'm just not getting.

A text-to-speech device, probably. I know they’ve gotten to the point where you can train them well enough to replace typing, so you could use it as an intermediary.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

raifield posted:

I'm sure there's a stupidly simple solution to this that I'm just not getting.

Instant messaging, with a Braille I/O setup on Lilly’s end?

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

raifield posted:

My only idea would be for them both to learn Morse Code or something similar, and tap the messages on each other's skin, but this would be both slow and uncomfortable for two people who dislike each other as much these two do.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I wondered if Shizune could read lips and based off this update I think she can.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Dance Officer posted:

I wondered if Shizune could read lips and based off this update I think she can.

I can't remember if she does but the festival update definitely gave me the vibe that she has to, since it'd be a lot more interesting if she can understand Hisao when he says this:

Falconier111 posted:

HISAO: "I can't understand you, Shizune. Well, whatever. I wonder if we both consider ourselves at fault for this. Anyway, I'm sorry for not being able to understand. You know, I'm almost, almost glad that you tried to coerce me into coming here. If I attempt to date you, though, I might have to think more about that side of you. No, actually... I'm glad. Today was nice. You would be cuter if you smiled more, you have a nice smile.”

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 16, 2021

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

raifield posted:

As I understand it, Helen Keller would feel people's hands as they signed. I don't know how well more movement-based signs would work that way, but it must have been enough to communicate pretty effectively.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I was just about to mention Helen Keller. I can't imagine being both deaf and blind, oof. (Not from birth but since she was a baby, in her case.)

I read her autobiography when I was a kid, and from memory she was in almost complete isolation from the world until a teacher came along when she was six or seven and started teaching her words by spelling them on her palm. And that was how they communicated - at least initially? It's been a long time since I read it.

So I guess Shizune and Lilly could do that, but yeah... I think they'd both rather stick their hands in a fire.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
Yeah there's tactile sign/fingerspelling which works for communication between deaf and blind people as well as for deafblind people. But that would require Lily to know sign language so probably sms/email + tts would be the way to go.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
As others have said, can’t really blame Hisao for analaysis paralysis/discomforting himself out of fully translating this thorny situation. Normally it would be way more uncool but yikesaroo

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 69: Past Imperfective (Act 2, Scenes 7-8)

Katawa Shoujo OST - Afternoon

When she is done, she heads right back to hammering with the same mindset. It's good that she's working off her frustration, but now it doesn't look like she is in any mood to talk any more.

About two hours later, she stops, having mowed through the rest of the stalls nonstop in that time. It still feels hard to approach her, and I think about how easily a conversation can die. After it took so long to be able to get her alone and speak to her directly, it almost hurts.

SHIZUNE: “[Your translation was good.]"

HISAO: “[Really?]"

SHIZUNE: “[First class!]"

She punctuates it with a thumbs up.

SHIZUNE: “[...For your level. There aren't many deaf people in the school, and sign language classes have been on the edge of getting cut for a while now. I'm sure you don't have many classmates, am I right? If you're only learning sign language now, your speed is going to be limited. That is why interest in it wanes, because it takes more effort than normal just to communicate. I imagine it's the same with all languages. In such a situation, conversations in sign language are less ... than they would inherently be to start with.]"

HISAO: “[I don't understand that word. Less what?]"

SHIZUNE: “[Sp— on— ta— ne— ou— s. Misha is the only person who can really capture it.]"

HISAO: “[Yeah, that's definitely true.]"

:eng101: She grimaces. :eng101:

Her expression changes for a second, and changes back too quickly to digest, but I get the feeling that this isn't meant to be pursued. What I really want to know about is...

HISAO: “[Why do you and Lilly fight so much?]"

Tensing a little and visibly frowning, Shizune tents her fingers and overlays them repeatedly as if shuffling an invisible deck of cards.

SHIZUNE: “[Two fights that you know of aren't worth calling “so much.” If you had been here last year you could say that.]"

HISAO: “[I heard it was a rough year. Something about how you tried to institute a badge policy.]”

:eng101: She glares at the camera, somewhere between embarrassed and outraged. :eng101:

HISAO: “[Ha ha, surprised? Well, I want to hear more about that later, definitely, but... you don't like Lilly very much, do you? Don't dodge my question.]”

SHIZUNE: “[I'm not dodging anything. She was part of the Student Council until last year. We didn't get along very well. She wanted to keep doing things like the old Student Council did. The old Student Council was just so ineffectual. It was stupid, and insulting. I wanted to do more, and we had a fight. A lot of fights. She couldn't do anything on time. Then, she said that what I wanted to do was meaningless, just extra busywork. Does this look like meaningless busywork to you?]"

Shizune gestures around us.

SHIZUNE: “[What's really meaningless is a Student Council that doesn't do anything. Weak, lazy, and boring. Especially boring!]”

SHIZUNE: “[I couldn't get excited over sitting in a room with nothing to do, that's just a waste of time. Why would I even be there? It didn't get my blood flowing. Arguing with her does that! If she could have been that motivated before, she wouldn't have to put so much dedication into being my enemy. But if she shows that much spirit, it's not a complete loss. At least it's something! It's still exciting.]”

HISAO: “[I see. And what about the badge thing?]"

She laughs, covering her mouth with her hand as if to hide it. Her laughter is the only thing she regularly tries to hide.

SHIZUNE: “[That was just a joke. Having a little fun sometimes is important, too.]"

Katawa Shoujo OST - School Days

The next day, I end up having to hunt around a bit at the start of lunch when I find that my usual vending machine near the dormitory buildings is sold out of my usual favorite canned coffee. The detour takes longer than I expected. Things have been so hectic lately that it takes some time for me to register why something smells different as I walk through the school gardens back to the cafeteria. The grass has been freshly mowed. The realization makes me pause and watch for a bit. The odd group of students chatting or playing around on the grass and a couple of teachers conversing on the path ahead make for a very idyllic scene.

(Silence)

Unfortunately, a feeling of imminent dread starts creeping up on me after a while. The feeling that I'm not alone.

KENJI: "Hey, Hisao, is that you?"

HISAO: "Yeah, it's me."

I guess I should be happy it's him and not, say, a slasher. Kenji begins talking as if he's having a conversation with someone other than me.

KENJI: "Knew it. That haircut is unmistakable. No normal person would have a haircut like that."

Unconsciously, I start touching the back of my head. Once I realize what I'm doing, I feel insulted, yet too surprised to even get indignant about it.

HISAO: "Yeah... What are you doing here?"

KENJI: "Measuring the temperature. Winter will come soon. It will be too cold for women to go out and have their Sex and the City-style power lunches, followed by obstructive human wave formation walks in crowded urban areas. When this happens, man will be able to walk the streets unfettered once again, and reclaim what is his heritage. In order to prepare for that day, I've been eating nothing but pizzas for the past week, to store energy."

HISAO: "Okay. That's what bears do."

KENJI: "So? There is much we can learn from the bear."

Kenji nods, emphatically agreeing with himself.

KENJI: "Okay, so check this poo poo out: I was in town today, buying milk. They had a new clerk, some hipster girl with a baseball cap with two hockey sticks on it. I'll call her hipster hockey baseball hat girl. I noticed the milk didn't have a price tag, so I told her to get over there and label that milk, for future generations."

He was in town today? He must have cut his morning classes. I want to scold him, but his verbal torrent prevents me from getting a word in.

KENJI: "She told me not to bother her, because she was sick. Sick? Sick!? We live in a society, here. You can't just opt out of human interaction because you're sick. Do you know how much effort it takes me to even get up in the morning? I still do, though, and I got up that morning to go down there and buy milk, not to have my vital questions just brushed aside by some hipster doofus college girl who wears a hockey baseball cap to work. Indoors. Anyway, I was just trying to uphold the integrity of her products. A milk carton without a price tag? When I see something like that, it just leads to questions. Important questions. It's her job to answer them, dammit. That's the problem with women, they have no sense of duty. I get diarrhea a lot, but you don't see me complaining about it. I soldier on and do what I have to do anyway, because that's what being a man is all about. Even if you have diarrhea, you keep going, for the dream of a better tomorrow."

HISAO: "You know, frequent diarrhea is bad. Maybe you should stop drinking so much milk."

KENJI: "I can't do that, it's what allows me to maintain my awesome strength. And in this world... a man's strength is the only thing that can't be browbeaten out of him by an increasingly pussywhipped society. That's why I walk around leaving open jars of olives everywhere. Sometimes just to show that I can."

HISAO: "Do you refrigerate after opening?"

KENJI: "What? Man, I don't know, that's not important."

HISAO: "You have to refrigerate after opening. Even elementary school kids know that."

KENJI: "They can't get the jar open in the first place, so it doesn't matter."

HISAO: "Ah, that's true."

KENJI: "I'm a genius."

He self-assuredly rubs his chin, which is something I imagined scientists did, until I met Mutou and was tremendously let down.

KENJI: "Anyway, I can't go to that store again, since it's clearly been compromised by bitches. Unless... I disguise myself. Maybe change to a different pair of glasses."

HISAO: "Worst disguise ever."

KENJI: "Pffft, it's been working flawlessly all these years. I don't even need glasses to see. They're for effect. Also, to protect my identity. I'm like Superman."

HISAO: "Worst disguise ever."

KENJI: "I'm telling you, when people see my school ID, they can't even recognize me."

HISAO: "Really? Let me see."

KENJI: "Can't do that. I can't go around showing my ID to everyone. It was made long ago. In a different time. I had hippie hair."

While I'm trying to imagine that, Kenji takes his glasses off.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Friendship

He squints as soon as they're off his face, which makes him look even more tired than he already does. He was right; he does look very different. Kind of like he hasn't slept in years. Not different enough for it to be a good disguise, though.

HISAO: "You need more sleep."

KENJI: "Nah."

HISAO: "You look like you need it."

KENJI: "No way. These are just the eyes of a man who has seen things. A shaman's eyes. Terrible things, that you can't imagine. Like when I made a ship in a bottle and my mom sat on it. There was blood and shreds of floral print everywhere. That's what life experience is."

Kenji doesn't seem very horrified, even though I think this is actually the first thing he told me about himself that could have been legitimately traumatic. He's also talking about thirty degrees to my left, so I guess his blindness is real. I wave a hand in front of him anyway, to little effect.

KENJI: "Man, I hope you realize I'm just joking."

I laugh, pretending that I did. Somehow, looking him in the eyes is more difficult than usual.

KENJI: "Want some trivia? People with small eyes wear big glasses."

HISAO: "I've read that somewhere. It's because it makes your eyes look less beady."

KENJI: "Really? I didn't know that."

(Sudden Silence, Record Scratch)

He puts his glasses back on, and I feel oddly relieved for a moment until I remember that I still have to deal with him, glasses or not.

KENJI: "Well, anyway... This artist girl wanted to paint my portrait once, I think. I had to talk to her like five times before she started making sense."

Must have been Rin, I suppose.

HISAO: "What'd she look like?"

KENJI: "I don't know. A woman with sandals."

I was hoping he'd say something more specific, like “she had no arms.” Rin does wear sandals, but I feel like the chance of there being another freespirited female art student wearing sandals besides her is reasonably high.

KENJI: "I was thinking, sure. Someday, after I burn all documentation that I exist, it might be okay to leave a portrait behind, so that people can look at it and remember the savior of mankind. They'll need it to model the statue. Then I thought about it some more and had to turn her down. It was tempting, but she wanted it for some school thing. It would be displayed. People would ask who I was, only I haven't saved society yet, so it would be pointless. And then if someone recognized me, I'd have to explain myself. That's already a chain of events I don't want to deal with. I don't want to get mixed up in some weird situation; poo poo like that always happens. Sticking out is a surefire way to get put on a list. That's why I make such a careful effort to blend in with people in my daily life. Until I can make my move."

HISAO: "Sure. What list?"

KENJI: "There are many lists. So what are you doing here, anyway?"

HISAO: "Nothing. I kind of got here by accident."

KENJI: "Happens to me all the time. Well, hope that works out for you. I think I'm going to go back to my dorm room. I need to set my TV to record my shows."

HISAO: "You have TV?"

KENJI: "Yes, you should come over sometime, we can watch the game. In high definition."

Before I can ask him what he's talking about, he's gone.

(Silence)

He left like he came: with zero respect towards other people. Kind of amazing. Now that Kenji is gone, I resume looking aimlessly at the school gardens in their summer splendor. It's no use, he ruined them for me.

(Crowd Sounds)

When I get back to the cafeteria, exhausted but alive, I think of eating lunch with Shizune again, but find her sitting at a table with Misha already. If it were anyone else, I would think how they were too far away for me to hear them. This is Shizune and Misha, however. If I wanted to, I could “eavesdrop” on their conversation easily. What a dirty thing to think about, but it's there. ...I don't want to, though. They must have a lot of catching up to do, even if it's only been a few days. I'm inclined to just leave them alone so they can do just that. However, the second they see me, they wave me over.

Katawa Shoujo OST - The Student Council (Shizune’s Theme)

MISHA: "Hi, Hicchan~!"

Hearing her voice again even after such a short time apart is jarring, and I wince. These past few days, I had forgotten that communication with Shizune is almost entirely silent, and concentrating on getting it right, I had tuned out even ambient noise. Well, I'll get used to it again. I'm glad she is back.

MISHA: "I'm done making up all my work~! Just in time~, I won't have to miss the festival. Wahaha~."

SHIZUNE: “[If they really tried to enforce that, I would pull you out on student council business.]"

MISHA: "If they really really tried to enforce that, you would pull me out on student council business~?"

HISAO: "That's abuse of power."

MISHA: "No it isn't, Hicchan~! Shicchan says that if there were only two Student Council members overseeing the festival, it would be a problem, wouldn't it? Yeah~, definitely! It has to be at least three! It's for the good of everyone, it's perfectly reasonable, it's necessary~!"

Shizune leans across the table a bit as Misha delivers her slightly disturbing, militaristic justifications in a childish, bubbly, up-and-down tone. Shizune looks so happy, though, tenting her fingers and trying to hold back a laugh as Misha pouts more seriously on her behalf.

HISAO: "If you say so."

I'm actually happy right now, that we can talk so easily to each other. All three of us.

In the beginning I thought that I might have found myself in a bad situation. I was sure that Shizune would hate getting saddled with being tour guide for the new guy. I didn't want to be that kind of burden, either. It would be awkward even if she weren't deaf and mute, too. Just now, she said that we would all have to be at the festival, the whole Student Council. I don't think that the Student Council has any real jurisdiction over Tanabata. It's only Shizune's way of saying that she wants us to spend it together.

It's nice to have friends.

It's a simple thought, but one that makes me genuinely happy, that we could slip into being such with so much ease. Despite the roundabout way in which she said it, I'm glad that Shizune thinks it strongly enough to express it at all.

SHIZUNE: “[Why did you wait until we waved you over to come sit with us?]"

A question out of nowhere. Shizune's eyes are expectant as Misha repeats her message. I feel like teasing her.

HISAO: "You want me to sit with you that badly?"

SHIZUNE: “[We're in the Student Council. We should sit together as much as possible. It's logic. Anyone would jump at the chance to sit with two cute girls anyway.]"

She pauses, in case I might say something like “You're not that cute!” and instantly lock myself into an obvious no-win situation. When I don't take the bait, Shizune becomes more energetic and continues.

SHIZUNE: “[You're abnormal.]"

Well, I didn't expect her to end it like that.

HISAO: "You're too quick to call other people abnormal. So arrogant."

SHIZUNE: “[You're too quick to call other people arrogant. That makes you arrogant, and arrogance is also abnormal. You're double-abnormal.]"

HISAO: "It doesn't work that way. It's a sliding scale."

MISHA: "Hahaha~."

Leaning on her arm, Misha closes her eyes and lets out a low, slow laugh like a chuckle.

HISAO: "Don't laugh..."

SHIZUNE: “[Don't laugh in this kind of situation.]"

I notice that Misha signs everything I say to Shizune anyway, even though I'm signing myself. This is redundant, but it's an unconscious action for Misha. On the other hand I can't stop. If I let myself take it easy and sign less just because Misha is back, then what was all this for? I don't want to risk losing familiarity with how to sign either. My hands are pretty slow to speak on my behalf as it is.

MISHA: "Hicchan, you and Shicchan talk to each other much more now~! Back and forth, it's really funny too! Like an old married couple, right~ right~?"

What a loaded comment, in so many ways. Although, because it's Misha, it can't have been on purpose.

HISAO: "That's not a compliment."

Shizune doesn't react to Misha trying to pair the two of us up. Maybe she didn't see it. Sometimes it does happen, I've noticed. I still wonder if it's really that simple, and why I care so much, but I don't want to think about it too hard.

I want to leave. I keep thinking that I'm hogging Misha's time with Shizune, and it could be that Misha cut in just now on purpose, feeling that way too. I doubt that either of them will let me leave, though. In some ways they're too nice.

HISAO: "Anyway, Shizune, if you really want to know, I didn't want to sit here because I didn't want to intrude. I thought that because of Misha being away for supplementary lessons or whatever, you two would have a lot to talk about, and I should just leave you alone to catch up. That's why I thought I would just hang back. Don't worry, Misha, I'm not trying to monopolize Shizune."

MISHA: "Wahaha~! Hicchan! It's not like that~."

MISHA: "You're so considerate, Hicchan! Shicchan is sorry~ and apologizes."

HISAO: "I don't really think it's worth apologizing over, so, don't worry about it. Hey, don't you both think that since Misha is back, we should go celebrate somehow? I think so."

MISHA: "Hicchan~! Usually, having to make up work isn't something to celebrate over."

SHIZUNE: “[No, it's a good idea.]"

HISAO: "The timing is perfect, and Shizune said that the Student Council should have a little fun too sometimes. You've probably heard that too, right, Misha? It should be fine."

HISAO: "Actually, wait a second. Didn't you have to make up work because you were missing so many classes to begin with? So, skipping out to celebrate would be kind of stupid. Maybe the timing isn't perfect, like I said, but we could go after school."

MISHA: "Where should we go?"

Misha speaks Shizune's question to her aloud before she even stops to think it over, both of them completely ignoring me.

HISAO: "Hey, listen to me, two-man shortsighted Student Council team!"

MISHA: "Wahaha~! Hicchan, you're a part of this team, too!"

HISAO: "Ah, yeah. I guess I am."

MISHA: "Yeah yeah~! You are, Hicchan!"

SHIZUNE: “[So forgetful, and troublesome. I feel sorry for the girl who falls in love with you.]"

MISHA: "So~! Where do you think we should go?"

I'm laughing in spite of myself, wanting to point out how Misha seems so enthusiastic now, when she was the one who was most apprehensive about it just a few seconds ago. For whatever reason, I can't bring myself to do it. But, this is okay, too.

(Silence)

After a short discussion on where to go, it seems like the only place all three of us know and are willing to travel to is the Shanghai. A teahouse doesn't look like a bad place to celebrate, especially because I'm sure they sell cake there, and cake is the most celebratory food. I haven't seen Yuuko in a while, either, and neither have the girls. For all these reasons, plus the fact that it's so close, I end up standing in front of the little tea shop with Shizune and Misha before I know it.

YUUKO: "Welcome!"

Katawa Shoujo OST - Raindrops and Puddles

It's been a while since I heard Yuuko's voice, so I'm surprised all over again by the energy she puts into her greetings. Kind of like an extremely nervous Misha.

MISHA: "Hi~! But~! you don't have to do that all the time if it's just us."

YUUKO: "Yes I do..."

MISHA: "But— Okay~! Okay~! If you say so, Yuuko! Hahahahaha~!"

I take this moment to glance around the teahouse and notice that it is as empty as ever. It's lunch time; essentially the peak hour for an establishment of this type. And yet, it's as barren as ever. I don't understand. There has to be a reason for this. Shizune gently taps my arm to get my attention.

SHIZUNE: “[What do you want to get?]"

Yuuko looks a little agitated after Misha automatically relays the question.

YUUKO: "N-no, I'm supposed to... ask that... Is there anything that I can do for you?"

HISAO: "Just some coffee for now, I guess. Thanks."

The dedication Yuuko has towards her waitressing duties is sort of admirable. So is the speed at which she whisks slices of cake and our drinks to our table when we order.

Then again, we're the only customers here. Who knows what it would be like with a full house. Shizune and Misha immediately dig into their cakes with gusto, probably because they can't talk with utensils in their hands. The whole point of sharing a meal with friends like this is being able to talk over it, after all. It makes sense that it would be the same with them. I'm barely halfway through my cake when I hear their forks clinking as they set them down on their empty plates.

HISAO: "It's not healthy to inhale your food."

MISHA: "Hahaha~! Hicchan sounds like an old man~!"

I cringe and instantly feel like I've been punched.

MISHA: "Are you going to wear a yukata tomorrow, Hicchan?"

HISAO: "No, I don't even have one. Well, even if I did, I'm not the kind of guy who does stuff like that. What about you? Are you two going to dress up?"

SHIZUNE: “[Of course.]"

HISAO: "What do you mean “of course?” You didn't dress up last time."

SHIZUNE: “[One time is not a trend! It's a completely different situation anyway. Aside from not being Tanabata, the festival was on school grounds; students should wear their uniform on school grounds.]"

Clearly a joke, but her delivery isn't any different from the usual. That isn't normal, but her sense of humor never was, and I'm used to it. I guess her way of saying outrageous things seriously is a little better than if she were to say serious things outrageously.

What's more troubling in any case is that I've started to associate a voice with her signing, and it's clashing with how Misha says out loud everything Shizune signs anyway. I feel disoriented.

SHIZUNE: “[I'll dress up this time!]"

MISHA: "I'll dress up this time~! You'll see, Hicchan! Not just Shicchan, but me too~! Maybe~ I'll change my hairstyle, too."

HISAO: "Don't do that, I can't really imagine you looking differently."

Shizune wags a finger and smiles.

SHIZUNE: “[Such a quick and firm disapproval. What if I were to change my hairstyle?]"

HISAO: "Maybe you should grow your hair out and make it look like drills."

She looks unamused. Luckily, I see Yuuko making her way over, likely to clear our plates or ask if we need anything from her.

HISAO: "Yuuko, are you doing anything for Tanabata?"

YUUKO: "Huh?"

It's like she was practicing how to most smoothly ask if I needed a refill of coffee while walking over, but she has no idea what to do having been asked a question first. I feel bad.

YUUKO: "Yes, I'm... working..."

MISHA: "Yuuko~, they make you work on holidays? Awwww..."

YUUKO: "W-we have the most business on holidays, and sometimes tourists. I don't mind. I have to do my best."

SHIZUNE: “[I understand completely. So admirable.]"

Shizune nods her head in solidarity, feeling a kind of kinship with Yuuko through their shared determination to be the best, although for her it's a matter of pride whereas Yuuko might just feel that she really, really needs this job and maybe a raise.

HISAO: "The most business, huh? So, how many people on average during a holiday?"

YUUKO: "Ah, well... ..."

Yuuko walks away and starts cleaning a cup of swizzle sticks. That isn't polite. This is not what a proper waitress would do! Nevertheless, I sort of got my answer anyway. Clearly, business is scarce at best.

I start to wonder again how the Shanghai remains open at all. Maybe this eclectic style of teahouse is a trend that was outrageously successful before I got here but isn't any more, and they're just keeping it like this while they retool. Maybe the owner is rich and is involved in some sort of bet with someone else or a crazy scheme to see who can lose the most money. Maybe I just conveniently miss mobs of customers by seconds each visit. Or maybe this place is just a front for arms dealers.

HISAO: "Since there's no one else here, why don't you sit down with us?"

We can talk about economic infeasibility. ...But Yuuko doesn't take the bait, shaking her head from side to side emphatically.

MISHA: "I've never really celebrated Tanabata before, or dressed up for anything like this~! I'll finally be able to wear my yukata. Yay yay~!"

HISAO: "What do you mean never? What about last year?"

MISHA: "Hm~... last year, Shicchan, me, and the 3-2 class rep ran a stall for the festival! It was a soba stall, I think~? Yeah, it was~! Yup!"

The blind class rep of 3-2 must be Lilly. I'm surprised they were able to work together on anything, but Misha would likely be the best possible buffer for that kind of thing, with how innocent she is.

MISHA: "Shicchan cooked, and Lilly took the orders, and I translated for them~! Shicchan kept saying, “It's so inefficient~! Misha~! Why do you have to be the middleman? As in~, why is there a middleman in the first place? Huh~? It would be fine if I did the cooking and you took orders! It doesn't make sense at all!” But~! I think everyone had fun in the end. Right, Shicchan~?"

SHIZUNE: "... ... ..."

Shizune adjusts her glasses grudgingly, causing Misha to break into laughter.

MISHA: "It was the old Student Council's idea~! That's why~!"

HISAO: "So, what was the last Student Council like, then?"

Shizune finally decides to step in again, or it's more like she can't stop herself.

SHIZUNE: “[Terrible.]"

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 19, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

...Jar of milk, Kenji?

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Ibblebibble posted:

...Jar of milk, Kenji?

I assume he's talking about those old-fashioned glass milk bottles that used to be delivered door to door. At least, that's what comes up when I google-search 'milk jar'. Also, Kenji really does need some sleep. Those bags under his eyes shouldn't be that dark.

I like how Hisao brought up that there's a dissonance between what Shizune's actually saying and how Misha's translating for her. It's something we've been aware of for a bit, but still good to see Hisao is reacting in the same way. Though I am curious as to why Shizune thought the old student council was so terrible. Was it just because of their work ethic or was there some other reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Some of the grocery stores around here (Midwest US) actually still sell milk in glass jars :eng101: One chain even has a 'flavor of the month' alongside the normal stuff (think this month is root beer milk?)