Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

South Korea was a also military dictatorship that took inspiration from Japanese-style big industrial conglomerates for most of the post WWII period.

Then eventually "reformed" into a western robber baron capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Away all Goats posted:

When they revealed one of the guards to be a young adult I thought the twist was going to be that the Korean military was behind/supported the games and was providing young drafted Koreans to be the guards.

A young adult who was also a supervisor, which makes the hierarchy even odder. I guess this isn't the kind of job you retire from so everyone is probably young, but still.

Also you had guards selling organs for money, which suggests they leave this island and expect to have normal lives where they can spend that money. This is just their side gig they do once a year, but a side gig where they murder people and can themselves be straight up murdered for simple mistakes.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
UGH...hit reply instead of edit. Anyway...

etalian posted:

South Korea was a also military dictatorship that took inspiration from Japanese-style big industrial conglomerates for most of the post WWII period.

Then eventually "reformed" into a western robber baron capitalism.

Also half of all living former South Korean Presidents are in jail. Which implies extreme corruption, but ironically also a justice system that severely punishes corruption. So in conclusion, South Korea is a land of contrasts.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i am led to believe that south korea currently has a corruption scandal involving exchanging big comical bags of money with dollar signs on them to government officials on video

have they unlocked politicians legally getting half a mil for a speech to a bank yet or their son suddenly becoming an artist selling pieces for half a mil a pop

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Krispy Wafer posted:

UGH...hit reply instead of edit. Anyway...

Also half of all living former South Korean Presidents are in jail. Which implies extreme corruption, but ironically also a justice system that severely punishes corruption. So in conclusion, South Korea is a land of contrasts.

All politicians should automatically go to jail after serving their term.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.

Steve Yun posted:

Edit edit: odd detail
Inho gave the detective one of his kidneys.

But he drinks whiskey, one of the things docs will tell you to avoid after losing a kidney?

Pretty sure he can get another kidney any time he wants to.

I also really liked the line where Inho says:
"Whether you sell off organs from the dead or devour them, I don't give a drat."

I like to believe there was a past incident justifying that choice of phrasing.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

loved the show as a whole, but disliked the ending. Everything after “1 year later” kinda soured me on the show. #1 being alive and actually behind the whole thing kinda ruins the gganbu episode, and the show genuinely didn’t need that twist. It also didn’t need #456 going back for vengeance at the end, leaving his daughter hanging again. Also I’m guessing they’ll deal with the policeman storyline next season, but if they don’t the entire arc is basically meaningless. During the second to last episode I commented to my partner that this was the best show of 2021, but I should add the caveat that everything up until “1 year later” is the best show of 2021.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's actually the opposite, a high degree of political imprisonment in corrupt societies just reflect regime change and/or personal conflicts. Ergo, the torch being passed from one criminal politician to another. In a nominally democratic society (or hell, one party authoritarian) where it's known that everyone at the top is corrupt, corruption policing itself is a very convenient tool for getting rid of enemies or setting examples.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Verisimilidude posted:

loved the show as a whole, but disliked the ending. Everything after “1 year later” kinda soured me on the show. #1 being alive and actually behind the whole thing kinda ruins the gganbu episode, and the show genuinely didn’t need that twist. It also didn’t need #456 going back for vengeance at the end, leaving his daughter hanging again. Also I’m guessing they’ll deal with the policeman storyline next season, but if they don’t the entire arc is basically meaningless. During the second to last episode I commented to my partner that this was the best show of 2021, but I should add the caveat that everything up until “1 year later” is the best show of 2021.

I made a similar post recently about the old man twist taking away from the series. Would have been much better if he'd just been an old dude who was dying, then sacrifices himself in the marble game for the young man who (even though he tricked him) had given him a chance in previous games when no one else would.

The whole thing should have ended when he found his mum dead imo.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the old man twist and not going on the plane are all good thematically for the show

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

It's actually the opposite, a high degree of political imprisonment in corrupt societies just reflect regime change and/or personal conflicts. Ergo, the torch being passed from one criminal politician to another. In a nominally democratic society (or hell, one party authoritarian) where it's known that everyone at the top is corrupt, corruption policing itself is a very convenient tool for getting rid of enemies or setting examples.

But is South Korea a corrupt society? They seem to be a stable and prosperous nation which just happens to put a lot of their former Presidents in jail. I don’t think they can be compared to countries like Egypt where a leader rules for 30 years, is disposed in an uprising, and then prosecuted.

If anything it seems a lot like Illinois, which puts a surprising number of its governors behind bars.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
I hear the Illinoisan Squid Games are particularly good this year.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Illinois is a famously corrupt state.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lol @ what the hell was the point of the hair dye poo poo at the end lmfao. So weird.

Really good show imo. Not sure what people found so objectionable about the ending.

Also is the stuff about Korean cops leaving one chamber empty and loading one blank into their service weapon true? That seems insanely stupid.

fadam fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 16, 2021

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

fadam posted:

Also is the stuff about Korean cops leaving one chamber empty and loading one blank into their service weapon true? That seems insanely stupid.

Why is that stupid? It makes it really hard for them to go Rambo on a suspect which is something American cops could benefit from.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

OnlyBans posted:

Why is that stupid? It makes it really hard for them to go Rambo on a suspect which is something American cops could benefit from.

Not really interested in detailing the thread, but if you’re going to make the decision to outfit your police officers with guns, wouldn’t you want it to work like 100% of the time in the case they have to use it?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

OnlyBans posted:

Why would you want to have a blank in there? The idea is to press the trigger to make something happen. Having to double or tripple tap, to make sure you actually shoot a bullet at the guy running at you with a knife seems highly counter productive.
I can see how you'd want a maximum carry capacity, but actively sabotaging your own gun is stupid. Ideally if you are in a situation serious enough to use a gun, you want one shot and one incapacitation. If I had a blank in my gun, it would cause an instinct to unload the whole magazine just to make sure one of them is real.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 17, 2021

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Some Googling indicates that the empty chamber is there as a safety because at one point an officer dropped their revolver on the firing hammer and it went off, and the blank is there so that it can be fired as a warning shot to disperse a violent crowd without launching a bullet into the air on a random trajectory where it might hit someone. Keep in mind that there are far, far fewer guns in South Korea than America because private ownership is largely illegal, so officers are not armed with the assumption that they are going to get into a firefight.

makoto20
Nov 23, 2006
Contestant pisses themself in bed, is a genius puppetmaster

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

makoto20 posted:

Contestant pisses themself in bed, is a genius puppetmaster

He poured that water bottle on himself to further the illusion. Note how it's empty in the shot where they reveal his "pissed pants"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Somebody just got puppetfished

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Awesome artwork done by Seung Eun Kim

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

fadam posted:

Lol @ what the hell was the point of the hair dye poo poo at the end lmfao. So weird.

Can be interpreted in multiple ways I guess :shrug:

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 17, 2021

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There was supposedly an interview with the director where he said it was to represent his anger at the games

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Watched show. Show was good, but not excellent.

I think I have a problem with asian dramas in general (with my main area of expertise being J-dramas) where they start off strong with good premises and setups, but almost always end disappointingly weak (to some extent) and or confusingly. This seems to almost always be the case in these type of mystery thriller shows and or movies. I'm not sure what it is, perhaps the plot twists just don't really deliver in the way that I expect them to.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

fadam posted:

Not really interested in detailing the thread, but if you’re going to make the decision to outfit your police officers with guns, wouldn’t you want it to work like 100% of the time in the case they have to use it?

No, because I don't trust cops to "have to use it" responsibly. Creating as many barriers as possible is a good thing.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

OnlyBans posted:

No, because I don't trust cops to "have to use it" responsibly. Creating as many barriers as possible is a good thing.

👍 okay

Steve Yun posted:

There was supposedly an interview with the director where he said it was to represent his anger at the games

Honestly…I think that’s like 35 seconds or whatever they could have just spent doing literally anything else and it would have hit better lol. Idk, maybe red hair like that isn’t weird in SK.

BabyRyoga posted:

Watched show. Show was good, but not excellent.

I think I have a problem with asian dramas in general (with my main area of expertise being J-dramas) where they start off strong with good premises and setups, but almost always end disappointingly weak (to some extent) and or confusingly. This seems to almost always be the case in these type of mystery thriller shows and or movies. I'm not sure what it is, perhaps the plot twists just don't really deliver in the way that I expect them to.

Personally, I don’t think the ending was either bad or confusing. If they never make a season 2 I’d be disappointed but ultimately satisfied I guess.

fadam fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 17, 2021

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

lezard_valeth posted:

Red means anti-communism :bernpop:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
It's finally been dethroned:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You squid game maid. Shameless Dave Chappelle cocomelon

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Steve Yun posted:

You squid game maid. Shameless Dave Chappelle cocomelon

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's finally been dethroned:

You season 3 owns.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

lezard_valeth posted:

Gi-hun has become communist

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
In my niece’s class (6th graders) everyone has seen Squid Game, and they tell their parents not to watch it because it’s too violent and upsetting

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

In my niece’s class (6th graders) everyone has seen Squid Game, and they tell their parents not to watch it because it’s too violent and upsetting

wise, their parents couldn't handle it

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

wise, their parents couldn't handle it

Those pussies have probably never even had a shooter drill

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

It's also a good idea to keep pop culture away from older people.

Look what happened to things like Star Wars and Harry Potter.

My jedi academy was a Hufflepunk

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I find it interesting that on the Spanish dub of the show, The VIPs are still speaking in English and subtitles are shown instead. It reinforces the idea of these people being foreigners. It's actually notable that there are no Korean-speaking VIPs, it's all lovely white American dudes. It also happens to be a commentary on the viewership of the show, intentionally or unintentionally.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I can't imagine watching this show dubbed, especially the last couple of episodes. The amount of emotions being conveyed by the actors would, I imagine, just sound really fake and off putting regardless of the language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
I just want to say I really appreciate the optimism of the goons that bought Squid Game Halloween costumes and think they'll get here before November. Might wanna have a back up plan!