Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

kids daycare keeps having insane turnover rates and three teachers quit this morning so all kids ages 2-5 were in one giant class today!!! really good stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

man i do not know how people manage without a support network, my kid is sick today so we are holding him out of daycare... my wife and i both have unalterable and important work commitments today. thank goodness my mom is local, she is watching him today while we work. what the hell would we have done if we didn't have her around? anyway, blessings upon all parents, grandparents, and broader support networks today. hope everyone can be safe and healthy today!

Our really good parent friends have decided to move back home to Iceland because of this. They've lived in Denmark for 10+ years, but having his parents around is worth it to them. And they're super into city life too, which they, by their own admission, won't be getting in Iceland (they're not moving to Reykjavík). It sucks, because they're super chill to hang out with.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Thoguh posted:

Going through my first annual benefits selection with a kid and luckily I don't have to do all of the stupid HSA/medical care cost modelers because we're on my wife's insurance that isn't a high deductible plan but the whole dependent care account thing is stupid as hell. There's a whole laundry list of stupid things about it
Why do I only even have the ability to make this account because my employer offer it? There's no reason that even having access should be tied to arbitrary decisions by my employer!
Why do I have to decide in October 2021 how much I'm going to contribute throughout all of 2022? My circumstances surrounding childcare could easily change over the course of the next 14 months! At least when I was contributing to an HSA the money just rolled over if I didn't use it.
Why do I have to do a separate account that I prefund and then reimburse myself from anyway? Why add all of these steps instead of just having it be something I can deal with at tax time?
Why the gently caress are there a dozen different "tax advantaged" account options in general instead of just having a dependent be a straight line tax impact that accomplishes the same thing without fifty layers of middlemen and paperwork?

I have a dependent care fsa and it really is incredible that a single claim each year involves creating work for no fewer than 4 people in order to get a tax break on a whopping 5k of household income. Love that it's a tax break too so in theory the discount is better the more money you make (and the less you need help to pay for child care).

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

man i do not know how people manage without a support network,

Since my parents are unavailable due to the pandemic we basically just pray for death.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

BonHair posted:

Our really good parent friends have decided to move back home to Iceland because of this. They've lived in Denmark for 10+ years, but having his parents around is worth it to them. And they're super into city life too, which they, by their own admission, won't be getting in Iceland (they're not moving to Reykjavík). It sucks, because they're super chill to hang out with.

oh man moving from one of the best countries in the world to another one of the best countries in the world to be with family there, that's real fuckin rough

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

lobster shirt posted:

it’s pretty hard. family are states away and our reliable babysitter is scared the vax is going to make her unable to have kids so we had to stop that.

we just take a lot of PTO. I can’t imagine how it is for people who are single, non remote option jobs, lower socioeconomic status, and special needs. we’re all to fend for ourselves.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

brugroffil posted:

kids daycare keeps having insane turnover rates and three teachers quit this morning so all kids ages 2-5 were in one giant class today!!! really good stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~highly illegal~

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

IAMKOREA posted:

oh man moving from one of the best countries in the world to another one of the best countries in the world to be with family there, that's real fuckin rough

Yeah, I'm being selfish as gently caress, I'm just gonna miss them. The point I was making is that having grandparents around when you have young kids is a godsend. And apparently worth sacrificing a lot of your adult life for, including friends, career and lifestyle.

BIgDevine
Sep 24, 2018

brugroffil posted:

I would of thought this would be a problem in terms of insurance. England has a rule that there must be a adult present for each x amount of kids.

out of curiosity do you know why they quit?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

fosborb posted:

~highly illegal~

BIgDevine posted:

I would of thought this would be a problem in terms of insurance. England has a rule that there must be a adult present for each x amount of kids.

out of curiosity do you know why they quit?

I think they were doing what they could to maximize the available teacher:student ratio. So my 4yo daughter's class only has 7-8 kids normally, but that teacher can technically take up to 10 legally, so jam them all together to stretch it as thin as possible. No idea why they quit beyond pay for early education is abysmal and you can get the same or better virtually anywhere right now.

The good news is that I definitely don't have to worry about this happening again with my 2 year old in the near future. Because they're just indefinitely closing his classroom. lol. lmao.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

lobster shirt posted:

man i do not know how people manage without a support network, my kid is sick today so we are holding him out of daycare... my wife and i both have unalterable and important work commitments today. thank goodness my mom is local, she is watching him today while we work. what the hell would we have done if we didn't have her around? anyway, blessings upon all parents, grandparents, and broader support networks today. hope everyone can be safe and healthy today!

I mean this is horrible but the only reason my wife and I survived last year financially is she was on chemo for colon cancer and after she got a mysterious illness that hospitalized her for a week (covid before covid existed in the us thanks to her working triage at her emergency room) she was forced to go out on disability and could watch the kids while I worked my "essential" job. She was pretty much on chemo until daycare opened again.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

the right is targeting parents for radicalization too.

like it should be a no brainer for dems to help parents even more right now... but nope.

so instead some percentage of them are going to get pulled into being CHUDs as they fail to get help or support.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Lol some kid got heated over the teacher saying "peoples" instead of "people" and it turns out it's super hard to explain a linguistic trick like that to a seven year old over a Teams call.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

BonHair posted:

Yeah, I'm being selfish as gently caress, I'm just gonna miss them. The point I was making is that having grandparents around when you have young kids is a godsend. And apparently worth sacrificing a lot of your adult life for, including friends, career and lifestyle.

Oh for real, my wife and i struggle with the same thing. But what sucks for us is neither of us want to raise a daughter in our own countries. So it's either live in a good European country with no grandparents, the USA (lmao), or the Balkans (which i loving love, but life is hard there).

BIgDevine
Sep 24, 2018
a knighted Tory MP has just been stabbed in a church. He was air lifted to hospital were he has passed away.

I can’t even imagine why, but it’s a shame the nhs is underfunded, they might of been better equipped to save his life if they weren’t.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

BIgDevine posted:

a knighted Tory MP has just been stabbed in a church. He was air lifted to hospital were he has passed away.

I can’t even imagine why, but it’s a shame the nhs is underfunded, they might of been better equipped to save his life if they weren’t.

I wonder what his kids are up to

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

kid has brought home hand, foot & mouth disease from nursery :argh:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

kecske posted:

Ugh I had this go through my house 3-4 times. It fuckin' sucks. If they're small enough, put socks on their hands to keep them from spreading it around to uninfected parts of their skin.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

BIgDevine posted:

Sorry to hear about your son, rip

BIgDevine
Sep 24, 2018
sorry I clicked the wrong bookmark. it was meant for the England thread.

on a site note, my daughter got to meet Tommy fury and molly mae at San Carlos restaurant near Manchester last weekend. my daughter who’s 1 got a picture on molly mae’s knee.

unfortunately I was not there at the time, it was my girlfriends girls meal out with her family.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Whoa I had to look up who both of those people are and I'm still confused

BIgDevine
Sep 24, 2018

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Whoa I had to look up who both of those people are and I'm still confused

Tommy is Tyson Fury’s half brother. I just thought it was good because Tyson had won against wilder the night before, so it was a nice picture for my daughter to see when she is older.

I didn’t know who molly mae was but my girlfriend said she’s been on some reality tv shows

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

kecske posted:

read this as hoof & mouth disease and wondered if you were a satyr

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

hail satyr

there's been a local breakout apparently and it's going around all the schools, not much to be done other than wait. At least I can get paid carer's leave from work to look after him while my wife works.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
one weird trick to burn your relationship with your kid!

https://twitter.com/LizMair/status/1448983240061165572

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Hell yeah let's get the anxiety going early

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

love to ingrain traumatic possession loss into my children at a young age

BIgDevine
Sep 24, 2018
just wondering if any other fathers have bought there child a decorative crib. Mine likes to sleep in it for an hour and then decide to get in my bed. if it’s not just me, how on earth did you break this cycle!?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

my 4 year old is finally potty trained....

finally....after almost 10 years i can finally stop changing diapers.... :tootzzz:

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
yesterday over breakfast I found myself explaining to my eight year old how JFK was killed by the CIA. so I am glad to see this thread.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

yesterday over breakfast I found myself explaining to my eight year old how JFK was killed by the CIA. so I am glad to see this thread.

Yeah I had a talk about 9/11 with my 10 year old this year that started with "its wrong to fly planes into buildings and kill thousands of people" and ended with "and that's why they might think it was the right thing to do from their perspective"

It was a weird rambly one.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

My 5yo's favorite songs in the past couple of months have been "Werewolves of London" and "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner" so I've had some interesting conversations about the supernatural and the use of mercenaries in African wars in the car recently.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

today we were looking at Halloween decorations on someones lawn and I said to my kid "RIP. that stands for Rest In Peace."

him: "but why?"

Me: "well it's like wishing the deceased a good journey to..."

*suddenly internally realize I don't ever think about dying or death*

"ya know pal I don't even know what happens when you die. how could i?"

him: "Brain, heart, breathing. It all stops. Your entire body shuts down."

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

do you feel old enough t yet?!?!!!!???

https://twitter.com/PhizLair/status/1449070293826166785?t=_9oDdGxLAovlG4jMeiLV0A&s=19

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

oh so Pokemon cards are voodoo dolls now?

cool cool cool

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

BIgDevine posted:

just wondering if any other fathers have bought there child a decorative crib. Mine likes to sleep in it for an hour and then decide to get in my bed. if it’s not just me, how on earth did you break this cycle!?

Our five year old still ends up in our bed pretty often. She's getting better about sleeping in her own bed through the night but it's taking a while. I just don't worry about it or really care. Its normal to put kids in separate rooms and beds at an early age in our culture but that's a very recent phenomenon in human history. Most mammals sleep together in big piles and so did our ancestors.

Alternatively, every time they get in your bed at night, burn something they cherish.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

IAMKOREA posted:

Our five year old still ends up in our bed pretty often. She's getting better about sleeping in her own bed through the night but it's taking a while. I just don't worry about it or really care. Its normal to put kids in separate rooms and beds at an early age in our culture but that's a very recent phenomenon in human history. Most mammals sleep together in big piles and so did our ancestors.

Alternatively, every time they get in your bed at night, burn something they cherish.

with my kids we started with cosleeping and then worked on transitioning to their own beds, but I’d still end up with two kids in the bed by midnight more often than not. even with a king sized bed two kids, two adults, and a small dog sucks. we knew we had to change something when we all realized nobody was sleeping well. we tried taking them back up and sitting until they slept but it always ended with me trying to sneak out at 2 am, then hitting a squeaky board and having to starting over. or lots of times we’d just say gently caress it and not even try because it wasn’t worth the effort.

what has really worked for us was putting an extra bed in the kids room. we do bedtime and tuck them in their beds. eventually they come down, and my wife or I would tuck them back in their own beds and go to sleep on the new bed. I think us being in the room is enough comfort for them. we’ve done this for a few weeks now and have had a few nights where they sleep the whole night, which has been wonderful

BIgDevine
Sep 24, 2018

IAMKOREA posted:

i think I’m going to have to buy a king sized bed then if that’s the case. I am glad to hear it’s not just me though.

I like the option of burning something they cherish. Do you mind if I steal that and tell my followers on Twitter. I’m sure they will all agree.

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

had a few nights where they sleep the whole night, which has been wonderful

I only wish I could say that at this point in my life.

has anyone tried the “cry it out” method. I did one but didn’t have the heart to just let her cry until she fell asleep. apparently it’s not cruel but I felt mean as hell encase she was scared.

I should of burned her possessions for making me feel that way!

BIgDevine has issued a correction as of 15:03 on Oct 16, 2021

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I pretty much end up sleeping on the floor next to my youngest bed at least 3 to 4 times a night because she has struggled pretty bad with sleeping. Not really the end of the world I sleep better on the floor than if she is in bed with us.

Never really did cry it out, at the end of the day it's important for us to have our kids know we are always there to help them and them and cry it out just kind of rubbed us both wrong. (no judgement if anyone has used it, again it just wasn't for us )

Meanwhile my 4 year old is a champion sleeper. She actually fell off her bed and landed on me one night and didn't even wake up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

with my kids we started with cosleeping and then worked on transitioning to their own beds, but I’d still end up with two kids in the bed by midnight more often than not. even with a king sized bed two kids, two adults, and a small dog sucks. we knew we had to change something when we all realized nobody was sleeping well. we tried taking them back up and sitting until they slept but it always ended with me trying to sneak out at 2 am, then hitting a squeaky board and having to starting over. or lots of times we’d just say gently caress it and not even try because it wasn’t worth the effort.

what has really worked for us was putting an extra bed in the kids room. we do bedtime and tuck them in their beds. eventually they come down, and my wife or I would tuck them back in their own beds and go to sleep on the new bed. I think us being in the room is enough comfort for them. we’ve done this for a few weeks now and have had a few nights where they sleep the whole night, which has been wonderful

Yeah we have a queen and size and it can definitely get crowded as they get bigger, often my wife will end up in our daughters bed (it's right next to ours, 1br apartment). I more meant that i don't think it's an important developmental milestone or anything but if no one is getting a good night's rest you definitely have to take action, whether it's a bigger bed or whatever.