Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

This is loving poetry:

quote:

The cabin has been redesigned for maximum connection to the surrounding desert…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
"parcel is remote but close to pavement"

Oh, ok.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

The first pig's straw cabin is totally gone.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Saint Freak posted:

Oh, ok.

That just means it’s in the middle of nowhere but has easy access to a paved road.

Basically reassuring you that it’s not some patch of desert 50 miles from a real road.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Saint Freak posted:

Oh, ok.

it probably looks pretty "remote" to people coming from denser parts of the LA metro area :haw:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Should I put a jack post and a beam under these joists until I hang the drywall?

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

We need to redo siding and windows next spring and you’re really making me want to do vinyl. Our other option is Hardie lap (or seamless steel if we want to shell out) but I’ve always had vinyl on other houses and I at least know what I’m doing with that.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Cyrano4747 posted:

That just means it’s in the middle of nowhere but has easy access to a paved road.

Basically reassuring you that it’s not some patch of desert 50 miles from a real road.

It's certainly a unique neighborhood. I think, to fit in with the neighbors, the buyer will immediately need to put up a fence and aquire 20 or more non-running vehicles.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/2Z35pGqMkeTx27gT8

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I don't use tiktok much at all but there's a local home inspector who has a great one full of content for this thread, thanks to the horrible flippers around here.

Choice:
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7019038763707944198
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7017799629249006854
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7005237453204327685

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Stop calling EIFS stucco before I get mad.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Tezer posted:

Stop calling EIFS stucco before I get mad.

Sometimes it really is stucco though.

Edit:for future reference I used to work do a stucco contractor that I refer to as the stucco fuckos.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
All siding should be cedar planks or redwood shingles. I will not take any further questions.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

nm posted:

All siding should be cedar planks or redwood shingles. I will not take any further questions.

All buildings should be sunk into the side of a hill and have verdure upon, along with round, brightly-painted doors. I care not where you direct any questions. I'll be on my bench with some Old Toby.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

nm posted:

:hmmyes:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

All buildings should be sunk into the side of a hill and have verdure upon, along with round, brightly-painted doors. I care not where you direct any questions. I'll be on my bench with some Old Toby.

Used to have a freind with a buried house. Word of warning: under no circumstances should you consider putting skylights in a house covered in dirt.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

“Dirt vents” struck off the list of dream house features, with regret.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

nm posted:

Exactly what I wanted my garage sided in when I built it: cedar shake.

Then I priced it. :monocle:

I resisted the siren song of cheap vinyl and went with Hardiebacker clapboard instead. Almost 20-years later: no regrets

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Where's the exhaust pipe?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

https://twitter.com/yeoldedad/status/1449566833602752519

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

This is also fine.

While that post was mostly not serious, my parent's coast house has 1960s unpainted redwood shingles and they've only had to replace a few which is loving impressive.

My house has what I believe to be 100 yo cedar or redwood clapboard that some jackass po covered in stucco (it did appear to have been done properly) that I would love to un cover, but I'm sure that's impossible.

nm fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 17, 2021

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

My dad made a couch out of chipboard and used foam cushions covered with vinyl.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Darth Brooks posted:

That's one way to say "my parents are divorced."

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Darth Brooks posted:

Was it see-through?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Darth Brooks posted:

hey, you know what, at least its bedbug-proof

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Chip board looks cool in a, "hey, that's neat" kinda way. Not as a kitchen theme.

Imagine cleaning a splatter of spaghetti sauce from that.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That's one way to say "my parents are divorced."

No, he was just cheap inventively frugal. He might have got the pattern out of a Mother Earth News. He had grown up during the great depression and never forgot what it was like to scrounge for everything. The couch is long gone although I still have a small table he made. It's in the laundry room. I've build some a few things (a shower, a sewing table and a couple of bookcases) and I use real wood.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 17, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
You coat it with an epoxy or urethane coating my dudes.

OSB is gross tho as a construction material.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

nm posted:

Pine or fir planks work just fine in practice. If they start to rot it's usually near the ground and you can just replace that part if you like, using a 45 degree cut to make the splice. But they can last a really long time if taken care of.

Standing variants

Horizontal variant

Air gap behind all types of course.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wasabi the J posted:

You coat it with an epoxy or urethane coating my dudes.

OSB is gross tho as a construction material.

Okay but the joke is "unfinished wood". Unfinished wood in a kitchen. SMH

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

His Divine Shadow posted:

Pine or fir planks work just fine in practice. If they start to rot it's usually near the ground and you can just replace that part if you like, using a 45 degree cut to make the splice. But they can last a really long time if taken care of.

Standing variants

Horizontal variant

Air gap behind all types of course.

Tag yourself, I’m dubbelfasspont.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
Scrolling this page while eating breakfast and when I hit those cabinets, just slowly stopped chewing.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Darth Brooks posted:

No, he was just cheap inventively frugal. He might have got the pattern out of a Mother Earth News. He had grown up during the great depression and never forgot what it was like to scrounge for everything. The couch is long gone although I still have a small table he made. It's in the laundry room. I've build some a few things (a shower, a sewing table and a couple of bookcases) and I use real wood.

That's pretty cool. Just easy to assume it's something done as a bachelor move to avoid paying for furniture.

I keep putting off building my own couch but I'm more of a fan of craftsman or mission than plywood. I'd like to build one that can be disassembled and moved by one person, using dimensional lumber, slotting the posts and notching the horizontal supports to drop and lock into the posts. As few fasteners as possible, basically.

Plans are annoying to find, and the bulk of DIY couch plans online are "start with a stack of pallets" and the end pictures look like something I would have built in Iraq on my deployment downtime.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

nm posted:

This is also fine.

While that post was mostly not serious, my parent's coast house has 1960s unpainted redwood shingles and they've only had to replace a few which is loving impressive.

My house has what I believe to be 100 yo cedar or redwood clapboard that some jackass po covered in stucco (it did appear to have been done properly) that I would love to un cover, but I'm sure that's impossible.

One of my friends bought a house with a slate roof and teak siding. It was built by and for a shipwright in the 1800s. There was a hurricane and they lost some roof tiles. They tried to find someone to replace them and the closest person that was willing to make them some was in Wales. I went over to see how bad the damage was; while inspecting their attic, I found knob-and-tube wiring that was still in use, about a hundred or so planks (3/8" thick, 8" wide, 8' long) of that teak siding, and ~80 or so new slates.

I joked that they could sell the siding and slates and have the house for free.

Except for the knob-and-tube and the bulk cotton waste/paper waste insulation, that house was the opposite of crappy construction.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Hey, you built these stands with harmonic loads in mind, right?

https://v.redd.it/gef9ruo701u71

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

:911:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

FISHMANPET posted:

My 1909 house has vinyl siding (we bought it like this). Having grown up in the suburbs I had an aversion to vinyl siding as well, but I actually like it on this house. One of the things I realized that makes Vinyl siding look crappy is the overlap on long blank runs on new houses.

Use reglets. The joints can become a facade feature, especially if you align them with or center them on windows and doors. No lovely seams anywhere.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Double A Double V

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

MisterOblivious posted:

Used to have a freind with a buried house. Word of warning: under no circumstances should you consider putting skylights in a house covered in dirt.

This makes me think of how in one of the Little House books, they lived in a dugout and a cow got on the roof and stepped through it. I think the entire thing collapsed eventually.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

PainterofCrap posted:

Exactly what I wanted my garage sided in when I built it: cedar shake.

Then I priced it. :monocle:

I resisted the siren song of cheap vinyl and went with Hardiebacker clapboard instead. Almost 20-years later: no regrets

Hello blue-Hardie (although mine is HardiePanel with their battens over the top) and cedar friend :hfive:

Also, never use HardiePanel unless you are paying someone to do it. What a gigantic PITA. Great stuff, lasts amazingly well, but jesus what a nightmare to install.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Whoever invented backstab outlets really deserves a place in hell. And the scabs that use them should be right beside them!

I had 2 backstabbed outlets fail after only 3 years of use. One made quite the show; all I was doing was plugging a cell phone charger in. I was greeted with a ball of vaporized metal and plastic coming at my face. The hot wire had apparently fell out and touched the ground from what I could tell. At least when the second one failed, all it did was stop working.

It prompted me to remove and re-wire every single outlet in my house.