Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Spent a part of the morning tying my mouse to my hand by the cord and figuring out how tricky it was to get the thing back in my hand. Its not impossible...but its not a collective action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Halloween Jack posted:

Spent a part of the morning tying my mouse to my hand by the cord and figuring out how tricky it was to get the thing back in my hand. Its not impossible...but its not a collective action.

lol

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Puppy Time posted:

Yeah, this. Nerds have done that poo poo since time immemorial, the difference is that now writers are more aware of it and for some reason ultrasensitive to that particular criticism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQH2rmQ5-vk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVgVB3qsySQ

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Kurieg posted:

The new priest at my parents church is the kind of person that resents Vatican 2, and started hosting large wedding parties and the like last year pre-vaccine. The breaking point for my parents was when they started enforcing a dress code for Eucharistic ministers. Even subs. Even in the summer when everyone except for the captains were "subs". If there weren't enough people that were A) trained and B) properly dressed, you were supposed to just make do with whatever people you could find. The apparent end goal was to shame people into showing up to church in "appropriate" attire.

appropriate was a three piece suit for men and ankle length dresses for women.

As someone from a Catholic background, one of the biggest red flags is someone offering, unprompted, their thoughts on Vatican II.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Capfalcon posted:

As someone from a Catholic background, one of the biggest red flags is someone offering, unprompted, their thoughts on Vatican II.

Excerpt from my conversation with my mother on the matter:
"He's the kind of guy who resents not being able to do latinate masses anymore, isn't he?"
*Deep sigh* "Yes. He wanted to do that for easter."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So maybe this got brought up in the thread and I missed it, I know there was some discussion of FFG's waning quality as it's bled dry by the inexorable venture capital death spiral but, uh

https://www.dicebreaker.com/games/keyforge-winds-of-exchange/news/keyforge-hiatus-winds-of-exchange

So this article, posted in September of this year, discusses how the card game Keyforge is on hiatus. For those who don't know, Keyforge is a card game by Richard Garfield whose premise is that it's entirely sealed preconstructed decks, no deckbuilding is allowed at all, and every deck is unique due to an algorithm that creates them using some unknown series of formulas. And the reason the game is on hiatus is because the algorithm that makes the decks is broken. Per this article, the reason why the algorithm is broken isn't being disclosed, nor is there a timeline on when it'll be fixed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/q56aeh/ffg_lost_the_algorithm_due_to_a_ransomware_attack/

But this thread posted on reddit, that bastion of truthfulness and accuracy I know, has this to say:

quote:

On the podcast Board Games Insider episode 210 Stephen Buonocore reports from his unnamed but reliable source that the KF problems came about from a ransomware attack. Listen for yourself at about the 40:00 mark

And then further down, another user chimes in:

quote:

Earlier this year FFG suffered a ransomware attack. This is 100% true, as I heard this from a number of employees at the time of the event. I was told that everything not on current employees work computers (which had been taken home due to offices being closed for COVID), or in actual production was locked and possibly lost. This included the art database (wonder why Unfathomable has so little art when it’s from an IP with thousands of previous art pieces they could use?), older games products, and the card database used to construct Keyforge decks.

I heard about this back in early Spring this year, so this news now totally tracks. FFG failed to back up their information properly, got hacked, didn’t get it back or got it back in a poor state, doesn’t want to publicly share that information (especially while Asmodee is trying to peddle itself for billions of dollars) and so is making up other reasons for various consequences of this event.

Again, take reddit with a massive grain of salt but the algorithm being broken is 100% a true thing apparently, so...did FFG actually get hit by a ransomware attack?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Unfathomable does have a criminally minimal amount of art for an FFG Mythos game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
According to the reddit thread the guy who originally coded the Keyforge algorithm was laid off due to downsizing a while ago too which if true would be some hilarious karma, though there's also rampant speculation that he was involved in the attack, no he wasn't involved in the attack, well I heard, etc, so take that as you will.

e; basically there's a lot of poo poo that wouldn't be surprising if it was true, but reddit also thought they caught the Boston Marathon bomber too, so

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Lmao at Reddit but also lmao if they fired the guy who made the whole thing work.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I assume he’s NDA’d into the ground, but if he can ever share the algorithm’s nuts and bolts it’s gonna be some amazing information from a game design perspective : it’d be something vaguely kind of wearing a Halloween costume that says “Empirical Data” for once instead of just tummy feels! Even if it is just chunks of python.random drunkenly thrown together, we could actually compare that to results and at least have negative evidence.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kai Tave posted:

According to the reddit thread the guy who originally coded the Keyforge algorithm was laid off due to downsizing a while ago too which if true would be some hilarious karma, though there's also rampant speculation that he was involved in the attack, no he wasn't involved in the attack, well I heard, etc, so take that as you will.

e; basically there's a lot of poo poo that wouldn't be surprising if it was true, but reddit also thought they caught the Boston Marathon bomber too, so

Is there something new or are you just reading the stuff from months ago?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Toshimo posted:

Is there something new or are you just reading the stuff from months ago?

I'm just looking at what people are saying in the reddit thread which was posted six days ago, the broken algorithm story was posted in September but otherwise the suggestion that it might be a ransomware attack was floated recently and it's brought a bunch of speculation out.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

So this article, posted in September of this year, discusses how the card game Keyforge is on hiatus. For those who don't know, Keyforge is a card game by Richard Garfield whose premise is that it's entirely sealed preconstructed decks, no deckbuilding is allowed at all, and every deck is unique due to an algorithm that creates them using some unknown series of formulas. And the reason the game is on hiatus is because the algorithm that makes the decks is broken. Per this article, the reason why the algorithm is broken isn't being disclosed, nor is there a timeline on when it'll be fixed.
I don't get this. What stops someone buying multiple decks and deckbuilding using them and then just saying "haha that's what the algorithm gave me, weird huh"?

Unless it's a game designed solely to played once per deck, so every game is played with a new sealed deck. Which I hear is a thing in the card game world, but is always baffling to me, largely because I find the sheer money-grabbing nature of that to be repulsive to me.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Warthur posted:

I don't get this. What stops someone buying multiple decks and deckbuilding using them and then just saying "haha that's what the algorithm gave me, weird huh"?

Unless it's a game designed solely to played once per deck, so every game is played with a new sealed deck. Which I hear is a thing in the card game world, but is always baffling to me, largely because I find the sheer money-grabbing nature of that to be repulsive to me.

According to Wikipedia

quote:

Each deck features a unique card back with the name of an Archon; thus, decks cannot be modified with cards from other decks.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Each card back has a picture and the programmatically generated name printed on it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

And by "programmatically generated" we mean "selected from a library that was not properly pruned for dodgy words"

Resulting in the infamous Farmer of Racism

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
keyforge's premise is such a perfectly hideous combination of "how can we cater to the kind of scrub who gets salty about netdecking" and "how can we make a product even more exploitative and whale-able, and arguably less susceptible to being undercut by a secondary market, than regular CCGs"

which makes this happening to them even funnier

e: and "oops, we fired the guy who designed the algorithm" is just :discourse:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

And by "programmatically generated" we mean "selected from a library that was not properly pruned for dodgy words"

Resulting in the infamous Farmer of Racism

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Warthur posted:

In addition to what others have said, it isn't overtly designed to be "disposable" in that sense, you can in theory buy one deck and play it forever, but if you want to play something other than the deck you've been dealt then yes, you have to buy a whole new one and you can't mix and match between them, that's sort of the fundamental premise of the game. I agree that it largely seems to be an attempt at exploring brave new worlds of monetization while also undercutting any sort of secondary market outside of "I got this super good deck and I will sell it to whoever pays me a bunch of money" maybe.

I dunno man, the last time the game came up in tradgames when it was new I vaguely recall people saying that it wasn't that bad but the entire thing really just does feel hugely wasteful and exploitative. I know some people don't care for deckbuilding but I would argue at that point the solution to that conundrum is not extending the concept of blind card packs to encompass the entirety of the game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
That's just dread emperor norton, he's a good guy.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Kai Tave posted:

I agree that it largely seems to be an attempt at exploring brave new worlds of monetization while also undercutting any sort of secondary market outside of "I got this super good deck and I will sell it to whoever pays me a bunch of money" maybe.

I kind of like the idea (although lol on the execution) because it fits a nice niche for me - I find some games frustrating because there's such a short gap between "played enough to know the strategy and enjoy the game" and "thrown into the pit of people who have spent a shitload on rares and obsessively refined their deck so that there's no real chance of winning unless I want to devote the same time and money." In principle something like Keyforge could have a larger middle ground.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kai Tave posted:

In addition to what others have said, it isn't overtly designed to be "disposable" in that sense, you can in theory buy one deck and play it forever, but if you want to play something other than the deck you've been dealt then yes, you have to buy a whole new one and you can't mix and match between them, that's sort of the fundamental premise of the game. I agree that it largely seems to be an attempt at exploring brave new worlds of monetization while also undercutting any sort of secondary market outside of "I got this super good deck and I will sell it to whoever pays me a bunch of money" maybe.

I dunno man, the last time the game came up in tradgames when it was new I vaguely recall people saying that it wasn't that bad but the entire thing really just does feel hugely wasteful and exploitative. I know some people don't care for deckbuilding but I would argue at that point the solution to that conundrum is not extending the concept of blind card packs to encompass the entirety of the game.

I'm not really sure what the overlap is between people who want to play slot machine card games and people who hate building decks. I always found that aspect of keyforge weird, it just feels like a weird garfield tangent.

Then again, people keep trying to make "mtg but we made it all about fundamental attacking and blocking".

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Panzeh posted:

I'm not really sure what the overlap is between people who want to play slot machine card games and people who hate building decks. I always found that aspect of keyforge weird, it just feels like a weird garfield tangent.

Then again, people keep trying to make "mtg but we made it all about fundamental attacking and blocking".

For what it's worth, some of my own best experiences playing MtG were with drafting peasant cube that a friend had built, and it's hard to systematically recreate that kind of grounded experience without cracking fresh packs for draft or meticulous curating a 400+ card cube set. I think creature combat is the most complex, tense, and interesting part of the game, and constructed ironically only simplifies it, since there's no reason to run a 2 mana combat trick when you could play a 2 mana hard removal. Even booster draft isn't perfect, since it has to balance the conflicting needs of both limited and constructed formats.

In that sense, if it's not possible to buy something like a self-contained cube draft game, then buying something analogous in power to a draft deck does have an appeal, although this would require a lot of trust in the publisher, which TCG experience should tell us is invariably a mistake. I haven't personally tried Keyforge though, so I can't comment on how well it holds up in practice.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I think something like keyforged would work as a digital game, where it wouldn't be as wasteful, and you can enforce more things like limited use decks.
I've always liked formats like sealed or arena, but it would really depend on price point and whether it's 2-5 bucks is buying you entry or if it's just unbalanced gacha style decks. How well you have to perform to break even or be f2p or close to it also would matter. When I played Heartstone it was cool that you earned at least enough gold for an arena run a day from your dailies, and even just going 3 for 3 nearly left you breaking even, iirc you had to consistently get at least 9-10 wins to go infinite.
The digital version of magic was way more miserly, and I think it took something like a week of dailies just to get a sealed tournament entry, so I bounced off it before I even finished unlocking the precon decks.

It would have to have the right balance of mechanical complexity vs RNG which yeah most of those games are pretty bad at, especially if there isn't too solid an 'economy' behind deck strength. "Oh cool, I won because I got twice as powerful cards as you with the same casting cost!" isn't very fun, nor is "Wow cool, I got a deck with literally 0 win conditions other than you stall."

lightrook posted:

In that sense, if it's not possible to buy something like a self-contained cube draft game, then buying something analogous in power to a draft deck does have an appeal, although this would require a lot of trust in the publisher, which TCG experience should tell us is invariably a mistake. I haven't personally tried Keyforge though, so I can't comment on how well it holds up in practice.

You might like epic if you haven't tried it out for a self contained drafting card game. You only need 1 of the decks, though I think it suggests buying duplicate card sets for bigger groups. I've only played it in groups of 2-3.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 16, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Coolness Averted posted:

You might like epic if you haven't tried it out for a self contained drafting card game. You only need 1 of the decks, though I think it suggests buying duplicate card sets for bigger groups. I've only played it in groups of 2-3.
God this game is basically unsearchable. What a stupid name.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My sibling and I tried Keyforge with a couple of decks and bounced off of it. The gameplay did not seem especially compelling - there was never a point where either of us did something that elicited a "woah, cool" type of comment - and the two decks were not balanced, e.g. one of them was clearly a bit better than the other.

They were not very expensive, though, and it felt kinda good to try a "collectable" card game where the buy-in was very low. I can see how there'd be a problem if you went online and read up on some really really good decks and decided to try and get one of those yourself by spending shitloads on decks.

One thing I did like is that the game is (apparently) not counterfeitable? You can go onto their site/app and put in your deck, and it'll both validate that it's one of the real printed decks, and validate that nobody else has ever registered that deck before, and list the cards in the deck.

Anyway it's a niche, fairly inoffensive thing.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Leperflesh posted:

One thing I did like is that the game is (apparently) not counterfeitable? You can go onto their site/app and put in your deck, and it'll both validate that it's one of the real printed decks, and validate that nobody else has ever registered that deck before, and list the cards in the deck.

I wonder if someone will ever propose a CCG backed by the blockchain?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

WaywardWoodwose posted:

I wonder if someone will ever propose a CCG backed by the blockchain?

Yes, a bunch of people, here's one

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
I kinda like the idea of a game that straight up destroys your computer as you play it. Like maybe as you play on your phone its mining new cards, getting hotter and hotter till you can't hold it then the battery explodes in your face . I would go to my local game store to watch that super nerdy version of bloodsport.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I liked Keyforge's mechanics (though its theme was terrible). The problem was that I stopped caring the moment the game was done.

Magic, Netrunner, Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn, Game of Thrones, and digital games like Eternal, Hearthstone, Runeterra... after I finish a game, I build a deck in my head. I think of combos I want to try. I see a cool card in my opponent's deck, and I want to get out in a deck of mine.

The whole deck building aspect is so compelling it inspired a genre of board games of its own.

Keyforged had none of that. You play your deck, put it back in a tuck box, and stop caring.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CitizenKeen posted:

I liked Keyforge's mechanics (though its theme was terrible). The problem was that I stopped caring the moment the game was done.

Magic, Netrunner, Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn, Game of Thrones, and digital games like Eternal, Hearthstone, Runeterra... after I finish a game, I build a deck in my head. I think of combos I want to try. I see a cool card in my opponent's deck, and I want to get out in a deck of mine.

The whole deck building aspect is so compelling it inspired a genre of board games of its own.

Keyforged had none of that. You play your deck, put it back in a tuck box, and stop caring.
This is also why RPGs with overly complex chargen are popular.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Notahippie posted:

I kind of like the idea (although lol on the execution) because it fits a nice niche for me - I find some games frustrating because there's such a short gap between "played enough to know the strategy and enjoy the game" and "thrown into the pit of people who have spent a shitload on rares and obsessively refined their deck so that there's no real chance of winning unless I want to devote the same time and money." In principle something like Keyforge could have a larger middle ground.
I totally get where you're coming from, but I have kind of the exact opposite taste. I really like formats like Gladiator and Canlander because you'll meet people with decks that that iterated and optimized to the point that they can justify every single card that's in the deck (and every card that isn't).

That said, the money sink nature of MTG, even in eternal online formats like Gladiator, has really has become a turn off. It's hard to justify $40 dollars in packs or singles when that'll buy a lot of other stuff.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

CitizenKeen posted:

Yeah this is the game's real uphill struggle. There are people who enjoy playing a card game without needing to do any building whatsoever, but I think it's pretty well demonstrated that a thing that really gives a game legs is the ability to engage with it outside of direct play. Deckbuilding, armybuilding, or as mentioned making characters for an RPG, these are all things that keep people actively interested in a game even when not playing it, encouraging them to jump into another game to try their creation out, which inspires new ideas, and so on. Not having that doesn't necessarily mean your game can't have legs, plenty of games have no "building" component and instead rely on variety of tactics (which forms another sort of out-of-play engagement, chess is a good example, studying and planning for and against various styles and moves), but Keyforge has it rough there too because thanks to the premade deck conceit, the only way you can really change up your gameplay past a certain point is buying another deck and hoping for the best.

And if Keyforged was just meant to be a casual quick pick-up sort of game, closer to party games on the venn diagram than something like Magic or Netrunner, that might work out fine, but last I checked there were official Keyforged competitive tournament type events, which seems weirdly at odds with a game that actively resists the sort of meta-play that competitive games typically have.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Catering to people who don't want to deck build seems like a fool's errand since those people will just net list anyway.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i'm fairly confident the point is to create a large penumbra of casual players around a core of people who will spend outrageous amounts of money buying tons of decks angling to get a good one, in the same manner that video games have gradually shifted from subscription / expansion models, to naive F2P where not paying eventually creates a hard barrier, to modern F2P games with relative few hard "pain points" for 0-dollar players but maximal exploitation of people with gambling habits

a game that nobody plays dies, and a game that squeezes everyone quickly becomes a game that nobody plays. but a game lovingly hand-crafted to gently caress up one specific type of bad-brain for thousands of dollars while simultaneously allowing casuals to exist and contribute to the ecosystem? that's what success looks like

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Honestly what I recall from playing Keyforge with two decks I bought and a novice opponent was constantly running into rules that said we couldn’t do things. We kind of played things and then killed them and didn’t seem to make any progress because the rules (especially about only playing one colour per turn) basically meant we could never play enough to do more than tread water.

There apparently is a fan run online version though?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

magic kind of got to that point organically but it had to deal with the constant tension between competitive and casual play, which creates negative play experiences every time someone loses the game basically before they've even sat down

hearthstone tried to minimize this by drastically reducing complexity, game length*, and by having huge swingy RNG effects that would attenuate the effects of skill over many games, plus a bastardized Elo system that prioritizes flushing smurfs out of the system more than actual accuracy, and i guess it sort of worked for a while but hearthstone has the opposite problem from Magic; it bleeds "serious" players constantly because the game is both really frustrating to try to actually be good at and because if you're REALLY good at this poo poo you could probably just play poker lol

occasionally you see a game like Duelyst where they aim primarily for the competitive side with maybe a few concessions here and there (battle pets :argh: ), which results in better-designed games in principle, but tends to mean they die within a year or two, because without the scrub penumbra matchmaking goes into a vicious cycle where the weakest players get sick of getting farmed and quit, leading to longer queue times (poisonous in and of themselves) + the next tier of player up becoming the new fodder

* it failed at this particular bullet point a lot but if you look at balance changes i think there's a pretty good argument it's what they were going for

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 16, 2021

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

If memory serves the idea behind keyforge tournaments is that you collect multiple decks and try to paper rock scissors with your opponent over multiple rounds. So yeah, you're supposed to buy *lots* of decks in search of a few powerful ones.

Which just seems... Hideously wasteful.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

hyphz posted:

Honestly what I recall from playing Keyforge with two decks I bought and a novice opponent was constantly running into rules that said we couldn’t do things. We kind of played things and then killed them and didn’t seem to make any progress because the rules (especially about only playing one colour per turn) basically meant we could never play enough to do more than tread water.

There apparently is a fan run online version though?

My experience as well. I missed the deckbuilding aspect sure, but the gameplay was totally lackluster. First because the three factions in every deck but you can only play/activate stuff from one per turn meant that turns were often meh, and the game had virtually no counterplay, which honestly was the one that sunk it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

magic kind of got to that point organically but it had to deal with the constant tension between competitive and casual play, which creates negative play experiences every time someone loses the game basically before they've even sat down

hearthstone tried to minimize this by drastically reducing complexity, game length*, and by having huge swingy RNG effects that would attenuate the effects of skill over many games, plus a bastardized Elo system that prioritizes flushing smurfs out of the system more than actual accuracy, and i guess it sort of worked for a while but hearthstone has the opposite problem from Magic; it bleeds "serious" players constantly because the game is both really frustrating to try to actually be good at and because if you're REALLY good at this poo poo you could probably just play poker lol

occasionally you see a game like Duelyst where they aim primarily for the competitive side with maybe a few concessions here and there (battle pets :argh: ), which results in better-designed games in principle, but tends to mean they die within a year or two, because without the scrub penumbra matchmaking goes into a vicious cycle where the weakest players get sick of getting farmed and quit, leading to longer queue times (poisonous in and of themselves) + the next tier of player up becoming the new fodder

* it failed at this particular bullet point a lot but if you look at balance changes i think there's a pretty good argument it's what they were going for

Do you have any experience with the League of Legends card game? It looks like Hearthstone with a lot less swingy RNG, and while I'm loath to recommend anyone play anything League related, I'm curious to hear your thoughts if you have any (online card games are basically tabletop games, I swear it's on topic).