Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Internet Explorer posted:

You just keep finding ways to keep the story going. Mad props for that, Sickening.

Meh, you fuckers all have real poo poo going on but nobody else wants to share.

Cowards

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Whoopsidoodle!

Amazing.

edit: I think the most hilarious part is that she's gonna get zinged by you, someone doing the exact same thing she's doing, only, y'know, not being an idiot about it. The ironing is delicious.

The irony is not lost on me, I promise. I just try not to be loving jerks to people I work with and make their work lives miserable. So far so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

My ceo: This is all news to me, its were part of her contract that she is to cease all business and ownership of that company. I need to end the call now to make some calls.

My crazy loving CISO went from Green status, to on a call, to offline. Her account is not locked.

Lol

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My new place is awful and full of literal manchildren. One of our overworked engineers finished a big, horrible, mismanged project and mentions something to celebrate in our team chat and our VP of IT goes "great, now I know you're free for other projects." Also, last night, our "prod support" director pitched a literal hissyfit in a giant chat full of everyone in IT about some nonsense, basically threw our VP of IT under the bus without realizing it. In the middle of that, our new DBA director was like "hey, are those database servers? we should be managing them" so the two directors fought over chat after hours in front of the entire IT department like children.

It's really awful. This place is toxic as gently caress and I don't want to be here. I do stupid poo poo all day, the company has no ability to enact change, even within relatively small departments. One of the dudes who got hired with me on the same team literally quit 2 weeks later with 0 notice. I'd have jumped ship already, but my boss is a good friend and I'm trying to help where I can for a reasonable amount of time before dipping. He's managing ~10 people and is really awful at it. More just that engineer who likes to take projects, put his head down, and ram them through. Cooperation and coordination in our department is painful, outside of our department is even worse.

Nothing nearly as exciting as what you're dealing with.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 15, 2021

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

but my boss is a good friend

Friends don't let friends join toxic poo poo shows. Unless you were unemployed and were in a pinch.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I totally agree with that sentiment. I think he's literally too stubborn to understand how hosed up it is.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Sickening posted:

Cowards

The realest poo poo I have going on is an automation project that I've helped plan and design but which is being implemented by another group. The lead guy I'm working with from that group seems to have developed a pathological hatred of the people he supports. We can't meet to talk about next steps without twenty minutes of complaining that this automation project won't work because he'll never get sufficiently clear and consistent requirements. I say, "Have you met with that team to discuss the need for clear and consistent requirements?" No. He sent an email, they ignored it, he gave up. This cycle repeats. Meanwhile I offer ways to make the tooling more flexible so that we can meet changing requirements. He admits that it would work but claims he doesn't have time to support what I'm suggesting. I keep looking for a way to say, "If you spent less time whining about your coworkers and more time writing automation, we'd be six months further along right now" that won't alienate the guy but somehow I doubt there is one.

My personal opinion is that there are six people at my workplace who need to be fired and replaced by three much smarter people, who would then be able to deliver at least half again the actual useful work of the people they replaced.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It rules that you're getting the "everybody thinks you're doing great work" feedback from something you spend a few hours a week doing

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Of my clients was in talks to buy out a partner but instead of listening to their attorney, the partner bring bought out listened to their spouse and family who told them to open a competing business, while still employed and as an officer of the current company, and operate it out of the same branch office.

This of course instantly ended everything and cost them their shares of the company and the ~500k payday they would have received.

People dumb and prideful.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My ongoing shitshow is the past year where we transitioned to SAFe (Scaled Agile Framework) and it sucks, but not really any juicy shareable stories.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm in the middle of change and release management hell right now.

We already have a change management process that is..... robust maybe is the right word. Not sure. Multiple sign offs, 1 to 3 CAB meetings depending on severity and impact, and once we get all those approvals, we can do our change.

Now we need to go through release management for all of our changes. Another set of approvals, release lead, release coordinator, etc.

I don't develop software, I'm in IT operations. Something like deploying a new GPO now takes me 2 to 5 hours of paperwork and meetings, so I can click a few buttons. Like I get it. I knew what I was getting into with working at a financial services company, but it's just... frustrating at this point. I seriously do maybe 1 to 2 hours of work a week. Thanks for letting me vent.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

It rules that you're getting the "everybody thinks you're doing great work" feedback from something you spend a few hours a week doing

I got that from a job that I only put a few hours worth of effort into, sadly I have to be online 40 hours a week for it.

My work drama is fairly boring aside from the underpaid promotion thing. There was a senior system administrator that whined about me telling him I couldn't call someone for him because I was in the middle of something because "he was in a situation where he couldn't call" which apparently didn't prevent him from monitoring his email and tickets and Teams? But everyone knew he was full of poo poo and was just the type of person to whine whenever he didn't what he wanted, and now he left for another company and good riddance. I should also note that calling people for other people is not part of our job description. It's something we might do as a courtesy if someone is working on something urgent and/or is already on the phone for a critical incident but in general the rule is we aren't secretaries, we aren't here to make phone calls for you.

Then there was the ticket that got bounced between the Linux team and the DBA team for a day and a half before the manager of the DBA team tried to send it back to our NOC team saying "This isn't a database server please re-route this ticket." So I ssh into the server in question and see that while it's designated as an application server it has an oratab file (empty), file mounts that are created by installation of an Oracle DB, and would you look at that, there's a Docker container running an Oracle DB that has been up and running for the past 3 years. So I send it back to the DBA team, send a message to her in the shared channel so everyone can see it explaining the evidence that there's an Oracle DB on the server that is causing the alert even if it isn't supposed to be a DB server, and reminding her that if another team sends them a ticket it's not appropriate to route it to us if they don't know what to do with it. That one I didn't get any blowback from because that manager isn't a petulant manipulative manchild like our dear departed system administrator but I let my manager know about it as soon as I sent the message in case someone got upset at the lowest person on the totem pole at the entire company telling a manager they were wrong.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sickening posted:

We recently had to allocate 20gb of memory per k8s pod for a service because we migrated a large client, they had some truly gnarly amounts of badly structured data, and the pods kept getting OOMKilled handling the SQL queries.

To be clear, this isn’t in “tinker with optimizing these requests” territory. It’s “fundamentally rethink how we handle requests” territory.

It took like a full week to handle this involving a number of outages. I, blissfully, was on vacation in San Francisco for the whole thing. Saw Folsom St Fair for the first time, saw many attractive men in assless chaps. A much better way to spend my time.

Honestly there’s not a lot of political drama. I did just discover our data team is now saying they need to keep their site to site VPN connection up till august when we want it dead by the month end though. We don’t even have any on premises servers! It’s just used for access control! We’ve historically been hands off with their AWS architecture and boy was that a mistake.

Our IT team has been working with them and they recommended better but still wrong solutions like client VPNs when what they need is a s2s tunnel with third parties and AWS Session Manager.

Also while I’m at it how do people handle Apache Airflow DAG isolation? ideally without managing a million separate servers, we need to move from a managed service as is.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 15, 2021

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

skipdogg posted:

I'm in the middle of change and release management hell right now.

We already have a change management process that is..... robust maybe is the right word. Not sure. Multiple sign offs, 1 to 3 CAB meetings depending on severity and impact, and once we get all those approvals, we can do our change.

Now we need to go through release management for all of our changes. Another set of approvals, release lead, release coordinator, etc.

I don't develop software, I'm in IT operations. Something like deploying a new GPO now takes me 2 to 5 hours of paperwork and meetings, so I can click a few buttons. Like I get it. I knew what I was getting into with working at a financial services company, but it's just... frustrating at this point. I seriously do maybe 1 to 2 hours of work a week. Thanks for letting me vent.

At least you can change your GPO. For us it would take about that many hours in paperwork and meetings with the higher ups and then them taking another 12 hours to push that information to their higher ups only to have it denied.

For 6 months now our security logs have been filling up one gig of data every day on each machine and its not overwriting the old data. So machines are literally breaking when the log gets full and the policy gets corrupted. We COULD fix it pretty easily but here we are waiting for it. I think we are going to push it locally on machines if the scans dont show any stig violations.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 15, 2021

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

Also while I’m at it how do people handle Apache Airflow DAG isolation? ideally without managing a million separate servers, we need to move from a managed service as is.

We don't :smith: We have a big airflow for our main account, and an AWS managed Airflow (MWAA) for our "locked-down" account, with it's own DAG bucket in that account.

I don't know if Airflow has anything around RBAC or multitenancy as it stands

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

Cowards

Sorry, the company I work for is fine and all the assholes ended up getting canned at the start of covid when most military contracts got un-renewed/pulled as a cost cutting measure.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

airflow has rbac but you have to install some extra stuff for it and flip a config file thing, IIRC

we ran with it just for policy's sake (along with LDAPS auth) but didn't really need it, most of our dags were just "start this EMR thing, then this one after that, then this one after that, [...]"

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sickening posted:

Lol, you're not wrong

My first work in months is migrating 2 old rear end HP switches to something more from this millennium. I figure that will take me about a whole 8 hours in total and then I go can back to getting paid to play games and Netflix.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have funny/wacky poo poo going on but I'm just not comfortable posting about it due to doxxing concerns, sorry :( I've always been very vague and general about work posting online for this reason :(

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have funny/wacky poo poo going on but I'm just not comfortable posting about it due to doxxing concerns, sorry :( I've always been very vague and general about work posting online for this reason :(

I am disappoint

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

12 rats tied together posted:

airflow has rbac but you have to install some extra stuff for it and flip a config file thing, IIRC

we ran with it just for policy's sake (along with LDAPS auth) but didn't really need it, most of our dags were just "start this EMR thing, then this one after that, then this one after that, [...]"

most of ours are like that too - "spin up this Databricks notebook with these params" but others do data pulling et c on the airflow worker nodes themselves and not on databricks, so those we want to limit what they have access to, esp the S3 buckets they dump results into.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FISHMANPET posted:

My ongoing shitshow is the past year where we transitioned to SAFe (Scaled Agile Framework) and it sucks, but not really any juicy shareable stories.

Thanks for the diagram, I feel a LOT better about our SAFe transition now.

skipdogg posted:

In a regulated industry, the paperwork that the auditors might someday ask to see IS the work. Pushing the buttons is almost trivial, being able to prove that they're the right buttons and that the effects of pushing them are thoroughly understood is hard. Ever broken something with a GPO ? I have, but not on a regulated system, and I'm happy to do the "extra" testing and documentation that'll prove any errors were completely unforeseeable.

Just wait'll you have your industry's equivalent of having a new production line pass an FDA inspection with zero written defects.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sickening posted:

Cowards

I quit my job about a month ago so no, I have zero real poo poo going on anymore! I am greatly enjoying this story though! :allears:

I'll have to think on how to tell some stories from $oldJob-1 and $oldJob-2, definitely not trying to doxx myself or others, but there are a few doozies in there.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Sickening posted:

Cowards

I have nothing really to post about my new gig except that it's a nightmare in the same way all companies are nightmares.

I guess the most interesting thing I had so far was trying to help out a dev sort out their AWS instances only to find that instead of naming them something useful like what app it is running or whatever, they instead named them by pokemon. So it was a whole day of "What does Garchomp do?", "which one is the DB, pikachu or bulbasaur?"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Last night I replied to a question in teams group chat at 8:30 pm local time, then told him to go to bed because it was 11:30 pm.

5 minutes later a vp piped up with a snarky “because we work bankers hours”

I rolled my eyes, gave him a thumbs up, and made a mental note not to work ever work on one of his teams.

And before anyone gets on my case about replying to a teams message at 8:30: I get a lot of flexibility on the hours that I work and definitely made up for it by taking off 3 hours early today.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I'm trying to work out how to shove as many raspberry pis into a 6u server rack as possible to build cheap compute without paying :bezos:

This is not me, this is just my current plan

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

A significant portion of my day-to-day is spent trying to save devs from themselves.

Like one earlier this week that was trying to bypass some keyvault policies so he didn’t have to built a real authentication workflow for his api.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

My new job at the MSP has been onboarding me with next week beginning my ability to attend to tickets. It’s going to be a tough job running around the city but I’m honestly excited to get into the thick of it. Already saw a couple of fires and how they’re dealt with so I think I’m ready.

If you never hear from me again, email this post to my wife.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

FISHMANPET posted:

This is all I see when I look at that

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

but my boss is a good friend and I'm trying to help where I can

I lost 3 years of my life to help keep a friend employed and alive at absolutely the worst job I've ever had.
Would not recommend.
Do not be an enabler.

Now he's a crypto-rich TAM (which is a good thing and I am very happy for him), and I'm just stuck holding my dick in some dead end local government job while my wife figures her poo poo out.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

MustardFacial posted:

What is everyone's recommendation for multi-session ssh clients? Superputty doesn't really support ssh keys well, and I don't want to drop the $350 on xshell if I don't have to. I've been looking at mRemoteNG, KiTTY, and some others but all of them are missing one feature or another (ie no session manager, have to manually save SSH keys per server, doesn't support SCP/SFTP, etc.)

Mobaxterm is what i use and worth it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I lost 3 years of my life to help keep a friend employed and alive at absolutely the worst job I've ever had.
Would not recommend.
Do not be an enabler.

Now he's a crypto-rich TAM (which is a good thing and I am very happy for him), and I'm just stuck holding my dick in some dead end local government job while my wife figures her poo poo out.

I am sorry to hear that. :(

But I am absolutely not giving this place 3 years of my life. I'm currently trying to decide between 6 months and a year. Also they are paying me a stupid amount of money.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Sickening posted:

Cowards

ever since HR talked to the director about our last lovely meeting i haven't spoken to him or seen him in 6 months.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

MustardFacial posted:

What is everyone's recommendation for multi-session ssh clients? Superputty doesn't really support ssh keys well, and I don't want to drop the $350 on xshell if I don't have to. I've been looking at mRemoteNG, KiTTY, and some others but all of them are missing one feature or another (ie no session manager, have to manually save SSH keys per server, doesn't support SCP/SFTP, etc.)

There is a build of PuTTY with tab support.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So I'm starting a new job next week doing IT support for a small Non-Profit local community healthcare. I have not worked at a not-for-profit before.

What should I be looking out for and making note of and being aware of? My last job was at Mega$Corp Hardware with 80k+ people in a head office campus of 2K and it's now going to be less than 300 with 3 sites instead of 100+. I'm hoping I get some nice people to work with and it's a more relaxed atmosphere.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Comstar posted:

So I'm starting a new job next week doing IT support for a small Non-Profit local community healthcare. I have not worked at a not-for-profit before.

What should I be looking out for and making note of and being aware of? My last job was at Mega$Corp Hardware with 80k+ people in a head office campus of 2K and it's now going to be less than 300 with 3 sites instead of 100+. I'm hoping I get some nice people to work with and it's a more relaxed atmosphere.

In my experience non-profits tend to have people who care more about what they are doing than what they make, so it's a lot of very dedicated individuals. Relaxed will depend on how organized they are and how much they need to get done to keep funding coming in, but it's usually really nice people. The only reason I left the non-profit I worked for was because I wasn't making enough money to live off of. 45k a year as the sole on-site IT person at the HQ office in California....

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Sickening posted:

Cowards

Most of our poo poo is just less batshit.

Our private equity overlords fired our CEO last Thursday. There were three people in company that new about it - the Director of HR, the Director of IT, and me, because my boss (D.IT) didn't trust himself to properly turn off accounts without guidance. They hired a new one and did the announcement this past Tuesday. I'm going to miss the old CEO, but I'm excited to see what new chaos this brings. I should be insulated from any purges as I'm both one layer too far down from leadership firestorms and also the only person in the company that can work out simple infrastructure.
I talked to my boss three times this week. Once was on our weekly IT meeting, where he talked a while about the leadership change and I stole the rest of the meeting to present stuff I wanted him to buy. The second time was the next day, where I very gently explained to him that he hadn't lost an Outlook folder, but that > next to Inbox meant the tree was collapsed, and a down arrow meant it was expanded, and that his was collapsed. Then I clicked on it for him.
Today he called me to verify that he had bought all the things I asked him to buy and hadn't missed any.
Private equity poo poo is wild, but not exciting for an external audience.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Silly Newbie posted:

Most of our poo poo is just less batshit.

Our private equity overlords fired our CEO last Thursday. There were three people in company that new about it - the Director of HR, the Director of IT, and me, because my boss (D.IT) didn't trust himself to properly turn off accounts without guidance. They hired a new one and did the announcement this past Tuesday. I'm going to miss the old CEO, but I'm excited to see what new chaos this brings. I should be insulated from any purges as I'm both one layer too far down from leadership firestorms and also the only person in the company that can work out simple infrastructure.
I talked to my boss three times this week. Once was on our weekly IT meeting, where he talked a while about the leadership change and I stole the rest of the meeting to present stuff I wanted him to buy. The second time was the next day, where I very gently explained to him that he hadn't lost an Outlook folder, but that > next to Inbox meant the tree was collapsed, and a down arrow meant it was expanded, and that his was collapsed. Then I clicked on it for him.
Today he called me to verify that he had bought all the things I asked him to buy and hadn't missed any.
Private equity poo poo is wild, but not exciting for an external audience.

They got you a new CEO because the old CEO wasn't into gutting the company enough. This new CEO will have bonuses tied to slicing and dicing. I have no idea who your CEO is, but I am sure if you look at the last place he led and the moves that company made, that is what you are up for.

Stay frosty my fellow goon.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 16, 2021

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Comstar posted:

My company works with non-profits regularly, because I am a networking slut I dig into the firewall(s)/routers first, then I gently caress their switches and if there is anything at all interesting to me in my findings (what the gently caress is a VLAN, says all of our clients), I get all up into their poo poo. I pull all of their device configs, confirm how any remote sites are connected to each other, then document it all for future reference by myself and my team. Isn't it funny how literally no one you work with knows how networks work?

I then poke and prod deeper into the customer's network and their apps and how they function exactly, who uses them, how to fix problems when they occur, then I present my findings to the account manager and express the dire need to upgrade their infrastructure. I document everything! We then hopefully make changes only when approved and after working with the people those changes will affect to ensure there is no downtime to their workflow.

If you are a CTO or whoever the gently caress makes IT decisions, don't fire your entire IT department then hire an MSP to come in and figure out everything they took 5+ years to setup and manage just because it's cheaper on your books do so. You are not being smart and saving money, you are dooming your company to mediocrity and failure.

I sent this dumb poo poo to the chat I have with my best friends earlier tonight:

"The #1 reason why I want to quit my job is: I am expected to do everything for a project. If it's quoted as moving 50 workstations to a new office while also setting up a new physical server and performing a VM migration, setting up entirely new VLANs and IP subnetting as needed, configuring SDWAN on the HA firewalls with two ISP circuits, setting up a wireless system which includes a RADIUS auth'd net and a normal rear end guest net with internet access only, then I get bitched at because the owner of the company has to stretch her loving cables too far to the PC on her $1000 designer desk"

I need to quit drinking. Or drink more I dunno, gently caress working for an MSP.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Coolnezzz posted:

My company works with non-profits regularly, because I am a networking slut I dig into the firewall(s)/routers first, then I gently caress their switches and if there is anything at all interesting to me in my findings (what the gently caress is a VLAN, says all of our clients), I get all up into their poo poo. I pull all of their device configs, confirm how any remote sites are connected to each other, then document it all for future reference by myself and my team. Isn't it funny how literally no one you work with knows how networks work?

I then poke and prod deeper into the customer's network and their apps and how they function exactly, who uses them, how to fix problems when they occur, then I present my findings to the account manager and express the dire need to upgrade their infrastructure. I document everything! We then hopefully make changes only when approved and after working with the people those changes will affect to ensure there is no downtime to their workflow.

If you are a CTO or whoever the gently caress makes IT decisions, don't fire your entire IT department then hire an MSP to come in and figure out everything they took 5+ years to setup and manage just because it's cheaper on your books do so. You are not being smart and saving money, you are dooming your company to mediocrity and failure.

I sent this dumb poo poo to the chat I have with my best friends earlier tonight:

"The #1 reason why I want to quit my job is: I am expected to do everything for a project. If it's quoted as moving 50 workstations to a new office while also setting up a new physical server and performing a VM migration, setting up entirely new VLANs and IP subnetting as needed, configuring SDWAN on the HA firewalls with two ISP circuits, setting up a wireless system which includes a RADIUS auth'd net and a normal rear end guest net with internet access only, then I get bitched at because the owner of the company has to stretch her loving cables too far to the PC on her $1000 designer desk"

I need to quit drinking. Or drink more I dunno, gently caress working for an MSP.

Someone else is getting rich because you can wear a lot of hats. Congrats, you are a rare person to find and are completely wasted on an MSP where you aren't getting a slice of the company. Replacing you would be an incredibly hard task for whatever they currently pay you. They probably would need multiple people to piece together a worse version of you. You have leverage that you don't realize you have.

You are a good resume bullshitting session away from a job where you can make some decent cheddar. If you got a step further and learning to be shameless to bullshit your way into a even higher paying job than that. You are 3 steps away from realizing each step you go you are just running into more and more people who were able to build this fake veneer around them as everyone is loving winging it and nobody knows what they are doing , well not really.

One day you reach this level of give a poo poo where you get multiple jobs at once while sitting on your rear end at home, hoping to retire before the world figures out how to stop gently caress heads like yourself from easily triple dipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

wargames posted:

Mobaxterm is what i use and worth it.

Also second Moba. It has two different minesweeper games built in!