Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Something is only worth what people will pay.

i.e. "the market"

Hope that helps Applebees Appetizer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I understand this is what the market is, and I don't buy in if i don't think something is worth it.

Doesn't mean I can't express that, and there's plenty of other posters that voice their opinions about the current market.

Just saying we don't need someone on a tape loop saying "but that's the market" every time we're trying to have a drat discussion about it

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I think that the issue is we're talking about two different senses of worth: the economic sense, and our personal sense. The economic sense is...what it is. Our personal sense can be very different from that, and it allows us to say "holy poo poo those Elements are not worth that."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nebakenezzer posted:

... Our personal sense can be very different from that, and it allows us to say "holy poo poo those Elements are not worth that."

The more precise way to express that sentiment is "you're nuts if you pay that much." The entire issue is that they literally are worth that much, because the market right now is in fact nuts.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Just saying we don't need someone on a tape loop saying "but that's the market" every time we're trying to have a drat discussion about it

Yeah and you've missed my point that we also don't need someone saying the same, tired, boomer-esque "they aren't worth that" stating-of-opinion-as-fact with zero discussion every time reality proves them wrong.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The more precise way to express that sentiment is "you're nuts if you pay that much." The entire issue is that they literally are worth that much, because the market right now is in fact nuts.

KakerMix posted:

Yeah and you've missed my point that we also don't need someone saying the same, tired, boomer-esque "they aren't worth that" stating-of-opinion-as-fact with zero discussion every time reality proves them wrong.

Soooooooo, in your opinion, Mr. Kaker, can the market ever be nuts?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

You mean same tape loop of stating the opinion of "its not worth that because I proclaim its not!"?

cars now cost what houses did 10 years ago. Houses cost now what aircraft cost 10 years ago. Labor however has remained about the same.

Yeah sure dudebro, everything is expensive and it sucks. Push in your chips to play or sit on the sidelines and watch.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Carth Dookie posted:

Whats a stock 2005 Miata SE with less than 100K miles worth these days?

Edit:

After googling, $22-28k Australian dollarydoos. Holy gently caress. :dogstare:

(15-20k USD roughly).

Those are still cheap in NZ, much cheaper than a decent NA or NB. Perhaps I should clear out the garage and pick a nice one up while I can (still bitter about not buying an S2000 when I had the chance)

E. Lol, why did I have to go and check Trademe

dissss fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 28, 2021

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Nebakenezzer posted:

The market is nuts, but it's also the new normal. That's the whole deal. How many times do we wanna say it?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

You mean same tape loop of stating the opinion of "its not worth that because I proclaim its not!"?

cars now cost what houses did 10 years ago. Houses cost now what aircraft cost 10 years ago. Labor however has remained about the same.

Yeah sure dudebro, everything is expensive and it sucks. Push in your chips to play or sit on the sidelines and watch.

My dude man, I'm not even nearly the only one that has had opinions about it. Look at the new car thread and the dealer markup trend that's being discussed. Like I said, I'm fully aware of the market going on now (housing, cars, etc) and the labor disparity. It sucks, and I think it's ok for people to vent their views about it. That's it.

I didn't mean to proclaim anything, I made the mistake of saying "it's not worth it" rather than saying "I don't think it's worth that", I wasn't trying to state it as a fact. If someone wants to pay asking price then it's worth it to them.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 28, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I think it's ok for people to vent their views about it.

Hi. Can you please lay off your "that's the market" speech every time someone has an opinion about it?

:hmmyes:

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

My dude man, I'm not even nearly the only one that has had opinions about it. Look at the new car thread and the dealer markup trend that's being discussed. Like I said, I'm fully aware of the market going on now (housing, cars, etc) and the labor disparity. It sucks, and I think it's ok for people to vent their views about it. That's it.

I didn't mean to proclaim anything, I made the mistake of saying "it's not worth it" rather than saying "I don't think it's worth that", I wasn't trying to state it as a fact. If someone wants to pay asking price then it's worth it to them.

Market for your poasts:

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Can we talk about fenders?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

boxen posted:

Can we talk about fenders?
I'd rather not. :mad:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
That's not that bad for cars and coffee.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Cage posted:

I'd rather not. :mad:

How many pedestrian did you hit on your burnout leaving the car show?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

lmao i'm shopping for a Honda Element and of course the used market is hosed. think this car was 25k ish new?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/d/gladstone-2008-honda-element-ex-sport/7384942534.html

oh what's this? seems reasonable

https://www.westernautobrokers.com/details/used-2007-honda-element/78148522

oh wait, lmao:

Fellow Element owner here. I bought in around 2017 and I stilled paid $11000 for my 2005, although it did have less than 60,000 miles. Still haven't broken 100,000 and I'm hoping to do 250,000 in it if the transmission can hold up. Us weirdos that like Elements REALLY like Elements. I like mine because I'm regularly riding around with a bicycle in the back and one of the seats folded up to the side. Bike stays locked in the vehicle safe and its always ready to go. Plus I can do silly poo poo at Costco and Home Depot. Bought a Husky 48" by 24" 9 drawer toolbox and it went in no problem.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Thoughts and feelings on this topic as well. I feel lucky to have scored my shitbox last year as everyone was flocking to sports cars for pandemic driving. On Autotrader of all places.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
https://roanoke.craigslist.org/bar/d/stuart-1973-saab-miles/7386085271.html

An okay photo, and the most terrifying description I can imagine.

I know what I got! (an overheating Daihatsu Rocky)

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

KakerMix posted:

You have one? You selling? :v:

Yeah I recently inherited one and no, respectively.

I remember looking them up a few years ago and they could be had for $12k aud all day.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

wzm posted:

With a sweet stereo I installed myself!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wzm posted:

The engine is rebuilt but you don't replace the thermostat? What kind of rebuild is this

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

KakerMix posted:

The engine is rebuilt but you don't replace the thermostat? What kind of rebuild is this

The kind where you remove some parts, wipe them down with a shop rag, and put most of them back where they go.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

The kinda rebuild where they solve the symptoms not the problem and thusly overheats another engine because they didn't bother to test the integrity of the cooling system.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1063310241089586

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Years ago a guy I used to work with had one of those in a 4x4 diesel. It was a pretty cool truck.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
FROOT TRUCK LIVES

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

quote:

has only boddy damage

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I would absolutely pay $30 for that right the gently caress now.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

but not one fuckin dime more.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Godholio posted:

same, but that guy absolutely wants $30k for it

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
You tryin to lowball him? He knows what he's got!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
fine, 35, but I'm taking the chair too

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

lol at “TRADE for Indian Relics…????”

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

Maybe he's talking about motorcycles?

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

Maybe he's looking for this poo poo?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

maybe skip the Instagram filters next time

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ah, I see the same dirty no-hands-washing ham-hocks used that car as my Crown Vic.
To be fair, that grey plastic shows grime like nothing else besides white, but still…

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
https://twitter.com/Bringatrailer/status/1449067914619875328?t=VuMHCL6_LKiLHEK5lma50g&s=19

Imagine having a clean Olds Diesel in Michigan.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Another one of those cases where rare=/valuable

Can't be too many of those still on the road, let alone with the original Diesel 350.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

slidebite posted:

Another one of those cases where rare=/valuable

While true, that thing sparked irresponsible feelings in me that have been dormant for a long time.