Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I'm going to guess she can't outright force people to do something but her powers are still really absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay, putting aside bypassing the rule by having AFO and Shiggy forming into a new identity, would stopping his heart even do anything anyway given all the poo poo he's tanked while in worse condition then he is now?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Demon Slayer's final arc felt rushed in exactly the way this is feeling.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Caidin posted:

Okay, putting aside bypassing the rule by having AFO and Shiggy forming into a new identity, would stopping his heart even do anything anyway given all the poo poo he's tanked while in worse condition then he is now?

probably wouldnt matter given he was loving dead and restarted his own heart during the war arc lmao

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
There's a chance she still makes it out of this alive, Nagant survived her face exploding afterall, but there's no way she's escaping with her Quirk.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
This is a Bleach-tier ability lmao

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

"I cannot be injured"
"The air surrounding people I don't like turns to lava"
"I can kill people by staring at them"
"My AfO quirk has a 10km range"
"I cannot gently caress up my literally invincible power so bad that a high school student outsmarts me"

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 15, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there is very little left of what used to make this series appealing

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Reading the scans this week when I usually don't because my friend group wouldn't shut up about it. I'm one of the biggest Horikoshi apologists, I even gave him benefit of the doubt back when everyone was having meltdowns over Eri's power.

I just can't this time, Stars and Stripes quirk is stupid as gently caress and I hate it. It doesn't even make sense to pencil this in like this when we have virtually no idea what quirks All for One even has already. There's no real need to feed him stupid loving Bankai Bullshit from a jobber we've never even heard of before.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Thoren posted:

This is a Bleach-tier ability lmao

I was just thinking that this was some Aizen level bullshit.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Oxxidation posted:

there is very little left of what used to make this series appealing

Class A bringing Deku back to the school was incredibly good, this most recent chapter is terrible.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
So I guess this is Star and Stripe as a kid according to this chapter:

Hopefully there will be enough left of her after this to send back to her sister.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

At this point I hope she intentionally dies with her quirk as a gently caress you/stakes raiser at this point.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I guess the 2nd's quirk will also have to be an absurd god power to counteract this poo poo.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Gee how convenient that he’s having an identity crisis just as he fights someone whose quirk requires a name.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

RatHat posted:

Gee how convenient that he’s having an identity crisis just as he fights someone whose quirk requires a name.

Yeah it's almost like we're reading some kind of constructed story.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Every story beat is so truncated, save it for the next project yeesh

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Scholtz posted:

Yeah it's almost like we're reading some kind of constructed story.

Yeah but it would've been better if he won through just overpowering her anyways/exploiting a loophole/ect. rather than only winning because he got lucky

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

RatHat posted:

Yeah but it would've been better if he won through just overpowering her anyways/exploiting a loophole/ect. rather than only winning because he got lucky

Flip it to be about her, and we have the American rolling in with billion dollar military equipment, attacking as quickly as possible, and then losing because she didn't find out about the situation before going ham.

Sounds about right.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 15, 2021

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shere posted:

Class A bringing Deku back to the school was incredibly good, this most recent chapter is terrible.

It was horribly contrived and it was just silly as I was reading it.

Talking about current events though, I'm just really not sure what this chapter adds to the series TBH, it seems silly, if she kills herself so he can't get the quirk this doesn't add much, if Shigaraki gets the quirk how does he feasibly lose?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Yikes, it doesn't take much to have the doomposts flood in.

We just had 8 chapters in a row of characters talking about their feelings, I'd hardly say the series is speeding ahead. Considering all the times I've anticipated the plot going off the rails only for Horikoshi to pull it off anyway I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on this one. We just had Nagant show up, not job and actually have story purpose so it's not hard to believe Stars will get the same (actually maybe this is intentionally a parallel now that I think about it).

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 15, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, I don't doubt that he could manage to pull it off. All I'm saying is I don't really like it right now.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I like how this fight is basically Ace Combat

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
It really feels like the author's trying to get to the conclusion hastily and so everything feels truncated and...flat? Like we're hitting all the key frames of a narrative but with none of the stuff in the inbetween that would give any of this weight or make it work (see: Grimdark Deku going immedietly from the nagant fight and aftermath to being rescued by his friends. There wasn't a time to actually see deku wallowing in this dark place in his arc for longer than a few panel and how gross his costume had become). It's like the story has a fear of becoming one of the Long Runnning Shonen Jump mangas and is over correcting. Very strictly sticking to an outline without giving the comic room to breathe/change to make pacing work. It doesn't help that the scale of power and threat just like...exploded in a way that makes it feel like half the cast is kind of irrelevant even compared to before. Like I said, I've felt this way since the end of My Villain Acadamia. We've just been kind of introducing and killing/maiming characters for motivation and stakes at such a hilarious rate since then the whole thing feels like it's rocking itself apart.

It's really annoying because the spinoff manga also had a single narrative it wanted to tell and be done and it's got 0 of these issues.

Shere posted:

Reading the scans this week when I usually don't because my friend group wouldn't shut up about it. I'm one of the biggest Horikoshi apologists, I even gave him benefit of the doubt back when everyone was having meltdowns over Eri's power.

I just can't this time, Stars and Stripes quirk is stupid as gently caress and I hate it. It doesn't even make sense to pencil this in like this when we have virtually no idea what quirks All for One even has already. There's no real need to feed him stupid loving Bankai Bullshit from a jobber we've never even heard of before.

Genuinely how nebulous shirageki's powerset is now is one of the most tension killing things in this manga now. I do not know what he cannot do. He's pulled out all kinds of bullshit every scene he's in since the power up so I have no idea or interest or stakes in the threat of him getting yet another new power, even one as awful as the thing introduced in this chapter. He can already do anything because his portfolio is so nebulous it's entirely Author Fiat what he's capable at any moment.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 15, 2021

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I like how since stealth planes can’t really hover they must be travelling at like Mach 1 while the fight takes place

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I dunno, this has all been pretty fun to me. It seems to be well received in Japan too.

Also if the pacing seems bad remember that hori has the same editor that handled the disastrous Samurai 8, and seems to have killed Red Hood.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 15, 2021

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I'm surprised at people saying the previous doomsaying didn't bear out because it largely did, as far as I can tell: the class battle arc did end up feeling weirdly irrelevant to everything since, the vestige stuff did end up being a not-very-compelling way to hand Deku a bunch of new powers he then mastered offscreen, Eri improved her powers offscreen to heal Mirio, etc. The edgy 90s Deku arc lasted about five minutes and pretty much jumped to the payoff immediately.

The manga's not off the rails or anything, it's still fine, but the series has run into pretty predictable late shonen problems in the ways a lot of people suggested were likely.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 15, 2021

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The stuff with Deku and Class A was very good.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Valentin posted:

but the series has run into pretty predictable late shonen problems in the ways a lot of people suggested were likely.

Not only that, it's jumping straight to those lovely payoffs instead of having anything going on to provide brighter spots.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

not really. there wasn’t enough of a foundation for it

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The first chapter where it was all the random students who have barely had a conversation with him talking about how much they loved him kinda sucked but after that it was good.

There were good call backs to strong character beats from earlier in the comic that felt like they were getting somic nice payoff and it was pretty rad.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Speaking of stands, they should have taken a page out of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and just launched the unbeatable immortal villain into space at beyond escape velocity. If Shiggy had a quirk that could prevent that from working, he probably wouldn't be riding on a flying nomu.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I liked it, it just went for too long

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

MHA has always been pretty fast-paced. Deku and Bakugo fight on their second day of school, villains invade right after and then it's straight into a tournament arc. The story doesn't spend a lot of time loving around like some other series do (for good or bad).

I remember everyone was shocked that the War arc happened so quickly too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Valentin posted:

Eri improved her powers offscreen to heal Mirio

I can't put into words how much I detest that moment. The Quirk Bullets were already set up as a returning plot point down the line, only for that to be undone. I figured at least we got a tragic little story of a potential pro having his career shut down before it began.

Then he just pops in fine and dandy after we saw very little of his time as being Quirkless and he has his powers again!

That coming off the heels of the baddies basically losing everything they'd just gained in MVA really just left a sour taste in my mouth.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I can't put into words how much I detest that moment. The Quirk Bullets were already set up as a returning plot point down the line, only for that to be undone. I figured at least we got a tragic little story of a potential pro having his career shut down before it began.

Then he just pops in fine and dandy after we saw very little of his time as being Quirkless and he has his powers again!

That coming off the heels of the baddies basically losing everything they'd just gained in MVA really just left a sour taste in my mouth.
I dunno, they didn't really lose that much. They lost a chunk of their new members and gigantomachia (I'll be disappointed if he's literally never seen again), while completely loving wrecking society and causing a majority of heroes to retire.

The only arc I've legit not enjoyed in this series is Joint Training. It's just not very good. Everything after has been great IMO.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

RatHat posted:

I liked it, it just went for too long

The complaints are both that it’s too fast and too slow now?

Which is it guys, pick a lane. I personally think it’s paced fine, the only thing i wish is that we saw more than just their first year at UA.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
things feeling too fast and others too slow is what poor pacing Means

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

actually the speed at which the manga moves is a static value that does not exceed the pacing quotient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shigaraki will now start slapping heroes down like they're biplanes and he's King Kong.

Until Deku can finally unlock All For One-Thousand and defeat him.