Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

LividLiquid posted:

I adore Ghostbusters 2. I don't get people's problems with it at all. If this is as good as that, I'll be pleased as punch.

I love GB2 as well, always have but... watching now as an adult its structural problems are laid bare. Like its individual moments and jokes are just wonderful, but the way its story is basically a carbon copy of GB1 in ways it didn't need to be, and the way some stuff that feels Real Ghostbusters inspired bring it down a bit.

It could have had a more original plot basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Tom Guycot posted:

I love GB2 as well, always have but... watching now as an adult its structural problems are laid bare. Like its individual moments and jokes are just wonderful, but the way its story is basically a carbon copy of GB1 in ways it didn't need to be, and the way some stuff that feels Real Ghostbusters inspired bring it down a bit.

It could have had a more original plot basically.

I prefer what we got vs going to Scotland to catch faeries. Nothing against faeries, but it's hardly high-stakes.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I prefer what we got vs going to Scotland to catch faeries. Nothing against faeries, but it's hardly high-stakes.

lol was that really one of the ideas originally for a sequel? I mean I won't discount it out of hand because who knows how it would have gone in practice but that sounds more like a plot from the cartoon show.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

lol was that really one of the ideas originally for a sequel? I mean I won't discount it out of hand because who knows how it would have gone in practice but that sounds more like a plot from the cartoon show.

It definitely was one of the original ideas.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 13, 2021

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
It’s a no-win scenario for the film makers. If the film is too far off from the originals, it’s dishonoring them or “no true Ghostbusters”, and if it’s too close to the originals, it is derivative and nostalgia-bait.

You wouldn’t do a film following in the legacy of another film or films if they weren’t fondly remembered, but you’re stuck if the film is too much or too little in line. Worse, few of the things that make the originals so good happen in any film, which is why you can roll through those free streaming services with the knockoff films and see not a one that’s even a cult classic. You almost never manage to film a classic on demand, and the original film’s a classic.

Expecting something as good or better that’s also identifiably associated with the original s expecting a feat even more impressive than the original.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Narsham posted:

It’s a no-win scenario for the film makers. If the film is too far off from the originals, it’s dishonoring them or “no true Ghostbusters”, and if it’s too close to the originals, it is derivative and nostalgia-bait.

You wouldn’t do a film following in the legacy of another film or films if they weren’t fondly remembered, but you’re stuck if the film is too much or too little in line. Worse, few of the things that make the originals so good happen in any film, which is why you can roll through those free streaming services with the knockoff films and see not a one that’s even a cult classic. You almost never manage to film a classic on demand, and the original film’s a classic.

Expecting something as good or better that’s also identifiably associated with the original s expecting a feat even more impressive than the original.

TBH it really feels like they're following the franchise restart model laid out by "Star War: The Force Awakens" with a new young cast slowly discovering the forgotten lore required to defeat a looming threat, starting with the accidental discovery of secret tech and the rusted-out broke-down beloved vehicle which has been lying abandoned for decades and then slowly unraveling the stories and doubtlessly tracking down the surviving members of the old crew who'll tell them "It's true. It's all true." Of course the 'new' villains need to be mirror images of the classic villains, maybe updated slightly for the new era and possibly even fleshed out with a little extra nuance.

And to be fair SW:TFA made a ton of money so they'd be crazy not to follow that model.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
I'd watch Rian Johnson's The Last Ghostbuster.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I think (hope) as well that the nostalgic elements will be more thoughtfully applied simply because it is the director's son that's doing it. It implies the resurrection of those elements might come from a more thoughtful, heartfelt place as opposed to a cynical fan bait one.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Dan Aykroyd guzzling a thermos full of ectoplasm straight from Slimer's teat.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

TBH it really feels like they're following the franchise restart model laid out by "Star War: The Force Awakens" with a new young cast slowly discovering the forgotten lore required to defeat a looming threat, starting with the accidental discovery of secret tech and the rusted-out broke-down beloved vehicle which has been lying abandoned for decades and then slowly unraveling the stories and doubtlessly tracking down the surviving members of the old crew who'll tell them "It's true. It's all true." Of course the 'new' villains need to be mirror images of the classic villains, maybe updated slightly for the new era and possibly even fleshed out with a little extra nuance.

And to be fair SW:TFA made a ton of money so they'd be crazy not to follow that model.

Technically I'd say there's worse examples to follow as well. I'd say most most people agree that while TFA was creatively bankrupt, it was at least competently made as well as a decent starting point for a trilogy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It would own because it would mildly criticize the idea of running a nuclear powered for profit ghost prison and people would lose their mind.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It would own because it would mildly criticize the idea of running a nuclear powered for profit ghost prison and people would lose their mind.

I need a scene with a sobbing family, begging Ray to let their father's ghost out. There will be an extraction fee for that.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

If it follows in the footsteps of TFA I'll be entertained. Star Wars failed to do anything interesting or cool that was cohesive after they managed to regain some public good will with a familiar place for us to feel nice about. If they do sequels to this they'll need to be more thoughtfully done than the sequel trilogy was, but using that as a template to jump off from doesn't bother me much as a comparison. Show me new people doing the fun things I loved and it might not be the most interesting, but it will hopefully be fun and enjoyable which is better than a lot of films manage.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

*The two hobos from the deleted Ghostbusters scene enter the frame*

Hobo 1 : Who are you?

Phoebe : I'm Phoebe

Hobo 2 : Phoebe who?

Phoebe : Phoebe.... Spengler.

Credits.

gregday
May 23, 2003

So I picked up this fun little book. It’s half in-universe and the author basically scraped both movies and the RGB cartoon and toys for just about any ghost they could to fill out the pages.

One of the very first pages lists:

oh my god.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

gregday posted:

So I picked up this fun little book. It’s half in-universe and the author basically scraped both movies and the RGB cartoon and toys for just about any ghost they could to fill out the pages.

One of the very first pages lists:

oh my god.

Ok, you gotta post the full detmerring ghost write up, c'mon. It looks like it's just about to go off the rails.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya, post the part where the book talks about the dream ghost giving blow jobs.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Karloff posted:

I think (hope) as well that the nostalgic elements will be more thoughtfully applied simply because it is the director's son that's doing it. It implies the resurrection of those elements might come from a more thoughtful, heartfelt place as opposed to a cynical fan bait one.

I think a lot of the negative reactions to the nostalgia overload of the climax come from a CGI Egon showing up for some smaltzy emotional climax to the family drama but most reviews can't mention that directly.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Force Awakens was a lot of fun and the dogfight between the Falcon and the TIEs was everything I wanted from a modern Star Wars movie, it's just everything else sequel related that poo poo the bed because of meddling and not having a strong idea of the whole trilogy.

Afterlife also looks fun and I hope it is, even if anything after shits the bed.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
New Ghostbusters benefits from not being the first prong of CONTENT off a 4 billion dollar investment. They'll make more sequels and tie ins if it does well and quietly memory hole it like 2016 if it doesn't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I think a lot of the negative reactions to the nostalgia overload of the climax come from a CGI Egon showing up for some smaltzy emotional climax to the family drama but most reviews can't mention that directly.

What gently caress is that confirmed?? gently caress, I don't want a creepy Tarkin Egon...

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

What gently caress is that confirmed?? gently caress, I don't want a creepy Tarkin Egon...

Yeah it's confirmed

I love all you guys

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I KNEW IT I CALLED THAT LIKE SIX MONTHS AGO

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm ready for CGI fake Egon to be talking 'to the kids' but looking past them to the screen and saying he glad he is that people kept the faith of the Ghostbusters for all of these years and how much it meant to him, watching over us all.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
At least Maurice LaMarche gets a paycheck, right?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'm actually pretty surprised, given that the movie screened at CinemaCon over the summer, that it's taken this long for the thread to become overrun with spoilers. See you all in a month!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

WonkyBob posted:

*The two hobos from the deleted Ghostbusters scene enter the frame*

Hobo 1 : Who are you?

Phoebe : I'm Phoebe

Hobo 2 : Phoebe who?

Phoebe : Phoebe.... Spengler.

Credits.

Don’t lay this JJ gubbins at Rian Johnson’s door.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

The_Doctor posted:

Don’t lay this JJ gubbins at Rian Johnson’s door.

I couldn't remember any dialogue from TLJ that would've worked. Hopefully Rian Johnson wont see this and demand all cinema chains world wide ban me because I need more Benoit Blanc.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

WonkyBob posted:

I couldn't remember any dialogue from TLJ that would've worked. Hopefully Rian Johnson wont see this and demand all cinema chains world wide ban me because I need more Benoit Blanc.

Yeah I haven't seen episodes 8-9, and barely remember 7 (yeah I know he's only involved with one of those, but people loving HATED it, apparently), but I cannot wait for the next Benoit Blanc movie.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah I haven't seen episodes 8-9, and barely remember 7 (yeah I know he's only involved with one of those, but people loving HATED it, apparently), but I cannot wait for the next Benoit Blanc movie.

Watching the new James Bond movie and all I could think was...where is Foghorn Leghorn?

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Official release of the international trailer https://youtu.be/lnKmAVLC3jU some spoiler stuff I guess.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So maybe this got discussed but is the idea that Egon had a secret off-screen family during GB2 or are Carrie Coon and the kids playing slightly younger or are they just playing with the timeline a bit?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Haven't read any spoilers but with the scenes from the trailer involving the Terror Dogs, I predict that Carrie Coon gets possessed and becomes the new Gatekeeper and Paul Rudd becomes possessed and becomes the new Key Master.

And the form of the Destructor ends up being GHOST EGON.

Just wanted to throw that out there to see if I end up being right.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AndyElusive posted:

Haven't read any spoilers but with the scenes from the trailer involving the Terror Dogs, I predict that Carrie Coon gets possessed and becomes the new Gatekeeper and Paul Rudd becomes possessed and becomes the new Key Master.

That was my assumption as well but it's so obvious (if you were going to write up a list of current niceguy comedy actors who would be the modern equivalent of famed niceguy comedy actor rock Moranis if you wanted someone to step into his shoes then Rudd would be way up the top of that list) that maybe they'll throw a twist in there??

Guy A. Person posted:

So maybe this got discussed but is the idea that Egon had a secret off-screen family during GB2 or are Carrie Coon and the kids playing slightly younger or are they just playing with the timeline a bit?

Maybe that slime toaster he hosed in GB2 had a human baby? We know from an Adam Savage 'Behind the scenes' video that Egon still had the toaster, and in fact kept it handy when shacked up all alone out in the country so he obviously has a big soft spot for it. :v:

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Possession chat: It kind of looks like from the trailer you see the dog get exorcised from Rudd in that scene by the buses. At least I think that's what's happening, hence why the dog is in a spectral form and snarling at Rudd. There's that one shot of Carrie Coon looking Weaver like in a dress, but that might have another context. It's funny, in the original GB you never find out where Zuul got the dress from, I always assumed Dana already had it and so Zuul went through her wardrobe and picked out something she liked. Assuming this is Zuul and Vinz again, it would stand to reason that Zuul still likes to get dressed up.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I always loved the fact that a terror dog had a first and last name.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Guy A. Person posted:

In some ways it almost seems like this movie discards GB2 from the canon. I remember in the first trailer when Paul Rudd was like "wait, you guys never heard of the Ghostbusters?" and he pulls up a YouTube video of them approaching the apartment building at the end of GB1. It seems absolutely ludicrous that nobody would remember them after the Statue of Liberty started walking around town and the Titanic pulled into port.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

That would mean Oscar doesn't exist (well, likely doesn't), and a BUNCH of stuff would've been skipped over. From the reviews that I've read, none have mentioned this, which doesn't even feel like spoiler stuff, just more like a weird thing you'd think someone would've mentioned. :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ALFbrot posted:

In some ways it almost seems like this movie discards GB2 from the canon. I remember in the first trailer when Paul Rudd was like "wait, you guys never heard of the Ghostbusters?" and he pulls up a YouTube video of them approaching the apartment building at the end of GB1. It seems absolutely ludicrous that nobody would remember them after the Statue of Liberty started walking around town and the Titanic pulled into port.

Even the 2016 film trailer erased GB2 with their "30 years ago four scientists saved New York" caption. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

Of all the things, the design of the Paul Rudd Funko Pop figure reveals a pretty big spoiler.