Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Which halo was it where they made the pistol not the best weapon in the game? 2? 3?

2. They made it a bit better again in 3 cause people got mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Halo 2/3 version of the Halo 1 pistol is the battle rifle.

The Halo 2 pistol takes 13 headshots to kill a player and holds 12 bullets per mag

The Halo 3 pistol is technically better than that but somehow feels worse.

Halo 3 also has the automag which feels awesome even if it isn’t Halo 1 pistol good

skasion fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 15, 2021

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

1 has the best campaign (yes, including that level) and 3 has the best multiplayer imo.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

My biggest problem with Halo multiplayer (I tried to get into Halo 3 MP) was that it was supposed to be an arena shooter in the smaller maps but:

-You carry only two weapons
-Melee does a lot of damage
-You move so drat slow and feel floaty
-Xbox Live community

I rather play nowadays UT 99 or 2K4 with bots than that. And 2k4 had better big maps with vehicles.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Guillermus posted:

My biggest problem with Halo multiplayer (I tried to get into Halo 3 MP) was that it was supposed to be an arena shooter in the smaller maps but:

-You carry only two weapons
-Melee does a lot of damage
-You move so drat slow and feel floaty
-Xbox Live community

I rather play nowadays UT 99 or 2K4 with bots than that. And 2k4 had better big maps with vehicles.

There’s a universe where 2K4 style arena multiplayer with vehicles became the de-facto multiplayer mode for the most popular games instead of CoD and I wish I could visit.

It’s a shame that Battle Royal has to be CoD style combat but with more power ups - the format would actually fit an old school Quake/Unreal Arena style nicely I feel.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

There’s a universe where 2K4 style arena multiplayer with vehicles became the de-facto multiplayer mode for the most popular games instead of CoD and I wish I could visit.

It’s a shame that Battle Royal has to be CoD style combat but with more power ups - the format would actually fit an old school Quake/Unreal Arena style nicely I feel.

I think it's mostly due to those games and Halo being more controller friendly. A boomshoot battle royal is a good idea.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Ubisofts Hyper Scape tried to do BR with more arena shootery mechanics but it bombed extremely hard despite a huge marketing push

Every attempt to bring back anything resembling arena shooters is cursed to have 5 players within a month of launch

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Making an arena shooter in the sense of “game where skills from Quake/UT are transferable” is doomed to fail (or if you want to think about it this way, it’s fated to find its level at a small community of players rather than a huge growing one) because all the insanely good Quake/UT vets will stomp new players right out of the game. Tribes has the same curse where the player base of any Tribes-like is too good for new people to pick up the game, Ascend almost managed to break out of this and then failed for other reasons. You end up with this small cursed fanbase that has 15 years of skills built up in these games but can’t use them on anything new. Halo has the notable advantage (from an economy of scale point of view) of being easy and fun to play even if you suck. This is also a kind of cursed fanbase mind, since the ease of use leads to legendary levels of immaturity of Halo community. Though I guess all shooters kind of have that

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Matchmaking could help with that. I mean there are people really good at Halo that can destroy new players too.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

I mean there are people really good at Halo that can destroy new players too.

Totally, but the ratio of good people:entire community is different.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Remember that 2k4 map that ends with you driving into the goat man's anus?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

:patriot:

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

skasion posted:

I played H4 this year for the first time since release and I’ve already re-forgotten most of it.

The new enemies aren’t completely terrible imo. The biggest issue with the knights is they take way too many hits. They’re as time-consuming to kill on normal as they should be on legendary, while not actually being that dangerous because you know, it’s normal. Any fight that involves them is highly likely to drag on too long.

The new weapons are mostly just there. It’s really regrettable that they most just end up being slightly different versions of existing human/covenant weapons with fancy skins. The human and covenant weapons had already become too obviously parallel in function by this point in the series (as opposed to H1 where each weapon truly was a different concept with its own reason for being) and they just went ahead and added a third tranche of pretty much identical stuff. It’s not even that the guns are bad. It’s just that it’s the same pistol, assault rifle, marksman rifle, shotgun, sniper rifle, rocket launcher archetypes as already existed in the games, sometimes already existing twice.

I don’t know it’s not like people aren’t spending 10,000+ hours into Warzone and Apex and getting god-like good. As another goon said Matchmaking would help.

But it’s a gameplay style no one wants to play anymore. I don’t know the reasons but people just love the semi-realism and, I guess, “tactical” nature of modern shooters

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
9/11 happened and modern military shootmans shortly became the cultural zeitgeist, overtaking WW2 shootmans and Quake/Unreal abstract arena shootmans

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

The United States posted:

9/11 happened and modern military shootmans shortly became the cultural zeitgeist, overtaking WW2 shootmans and Quake/Unreal abstract arena shootmans

Medal of Honor Allied Assault came out 4 months after 9/11. COD4 came out almost 6 years after that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

2004, a year notable for happening before 2001.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I mean I guess "people stopped playing unreal tournament 2k4 after 9/11" isn't necessarily untrue

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Thinking it over that might tie into how Team Fortress 2 has managed to maintain a strong healthy playerbase in spite of being only slightly younger than the last truly relevant Arena style shooters like Unreal Tournament 2k4 and sharing a lot of the DNA with that subgenre as well

That factor is right in the game's name in fact, that TF2 is a Team oriented game, alongside the fact that all of TF2's game modes* involve objectives that aren't inherently oriented around who can shoot who better, it obviously helps in accomplishing the objectives but the fact that you don't have to be an outright god to contribute definitely helps in making it more appealing to someone new

*well besides Arena but that mode was never particularly popular and isn't even officially supported by Valve anymore anyways

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I would argue that the "realistic" (as in movie level realism) first person shootmans received a boost, including WW2 shootmans, but the shift took place over a number of years. So the abstract arena shootmans didn't die but it peaked with UT2KX and was clearly in major decline by UT3. Meanwhile all the major WW2 shootman franchises made the shift from WW2 to modern military one by one, with Battlefield in 2005, then COD in 2007, then MOH in 2010.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I'm enjoying Rekkr so far. The crank shotgun is very fun. The puzzles in episode 2's secret level went way over my head, though. I had to use a console command to give myself health because going into the next map with 8 health would have been a bad time.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

drrockso20 posted:

*well besides Arena but that mode was never particularly popular and isn't even officially supported by Valve anymore anyways

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mill Village posted:

I'm enjoying Rekkr so far. The crank shotgun is very fun. The puzzles in episode 2's secret level went way over my head, though. I had to use a console command to give myself health because going into the next map with 8 health would have been a bad time.

There is an incredible map in Set... 3 I think that basically single handedly justified my playing that whole mod and as soon as I get a new computer capable of running Rekkr I'll probably buy it even though I didn't like it that much in mod form.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Which WW2 shootmans came out before 9/11? Medal of Honor?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Is the Halo Assault Rifle the worst in FPS history?

Pointless Adornment
Apr 9, 2005

~* snail krew *~

Volte posted:

There were only a few. PC-wise, the biggest names weren't full games but mods: Day of Defeat and War in Europe for Half-Life, which both came out in 2000.

The biggest name full game was probably Hidden & Dangerous from 1999. The MMOFPS WWII Online was released in late spring of 2001. Return to Castle Wolfenstein's MP test would hit the internet 5 days after 9/11. Otherwise, the WW2 games on the market at the time were the trio of bargain bin releases WW2:GI (On the build engine) from 1999 and ValuSoft's WW2: Normandy and Iwo Jima from early 2001.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah that's a good point I didn't even consider mods and tactical games like Hidden & Dangerous.

Volte posted:

Wolfenstein and Medal of Honor both started in the 90s, yes, and they're the two biggest WW2 franchises.

Obviously there are a bunch of smaller WW2 games like the build engine one or the eurojank Mortyr or the lithtech Elite Forces and a bunch of those valusoft bargain bin turret ones which only barely count as FPS games.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 16, 2021

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mordja posted:

Doom 3.

That's the standard answer for worst [weapon] in FPS history. :colbert:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mordja posted:

Deus Ex.

Edit: My favorite part was discovering that part of the reason for increased survivability in the latter half of the game is that the enemies switch from pistols to the assault rifle.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

I would argue that the "realistic" (as in movie level realism) first person shootmans received a boost, including WW2 shootmans, but the shift took place over a number of years. So the abstract arena shootmans didn't die but it peaked with UT2KX and was clearly in major decline by UT3. Meanwhile all the major WW2 shootman franchises made the shift from WW2 to modern military one by one, with Battlefield in 2005, then COD in 2007, then MOH in 2010.

It's movies. Medal of Honor existed and was solid, but after Saving Private Ryan, Allied Assault's entire marketing was basically "play the visceral beach scene" which was an amazing technical achievement. This was also my and my friend's takes for RTCW, whose demo is just a beach invasion that invokes Saving Private Ryan too. There was big follow up of war movies, especially WW2. As time moves on there's a push for revisiting Vietnam that kinda peaks out in 2002. Vietnam isn't "modern" but the arsenals and military approaches are much closer to modern mil shooters. You

There's also a push for movies showcasing the Middle East, Three Kings in 1999, and Rules of Engagement in 2000. Black Hawk Down comes out after 9/11 (set in Somalia) and by 2007 you've got Jarhead, Hurt Locker, Generation Kill and just an absolute poo poo ton of military propaganda on TV.

The Clancy games are probably the only ones who beat the trend? Ghost Recon is 2001 and R6 is like 1998? But frankly nothing out was as good as what IW was making in the CoD series and their decision to make a modern shooter instead of like a Vietnam follow up is probably incredibly influential at hitting the cultural zeitgeist at the perfect moment.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mill Village posted:

I love the bright blue water, it reminds me of the Witchaven games which always looked super bright in magazine reviews but turned out to be clunky, frustrating messes to actually play. Helps that REKKR is fun as well :v:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tippis posted:

Doom 3.

That's the standard answer for worst [weapon] in FPS history. :colbert:

I like the Doom 3 one. Feels better than the shotgun imo.

I always hated how weak the one in Halo feels. You’d empty an entire mag just to knock an elites shields off.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I like the Doom 3 one. Feels better than the shotgun imo.

The phrase “damning with faint praise” comes to mind. :D

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Not exactly an 'early FPS', but I guess it's kinda related (because my tastes are defined by them)

Now that Destiny 2 is on Gamepass PC, I'm using the chance to play the Forsaken campaign. I only have played the base game on release. And man, I really, really would like to take the art assets of D2, and make a totally different game. Because it has nice graphics, backgrounds, animations, special effects, gunplay, sounds... but I don't like anything gameplay related. If I could, I would change

-difficulty system (overall difficulty and options)
-weapon system (numbers and types)
-ammo system
-health system
-power progression
-coop options
-respawn system

So yeah, basically everything. I guess current Destiny fans would hate me, though.
They have the core to make a great FPS, but instead they did a farming game disguised as FPS.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Destiny and Warframe both fall into that camp for me. Enough there to make a good game but it’s buried in a bunch of poo poo I don’t like

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I tried Warframe 3 or 4 times over the years (I dig the aesthetic a lot, so I wanted to like it!), and yeah, both Destiny and Warframe are the same type of game, in that regard.

Then again the famously addictive Diablo 2 bored me after a week, so I guess I'm not really compatible with these games.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 16, 2021

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, gunplay has always been Destiny's fallback and there have been periods when it was the only appealing part of the game. Literally everything else about it has ranged from decent to godawful over the life of the franchise, sometimes cycling more than once. But the franchise did survive, which tells you just how polished that gunplay is

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I am very pro-Warframe but if you're not interested in an MMO then it's a hard sell, the action is tight and the movement is incredible but it's still an MMO with all the negatives and repercussions that connotates

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
A part of me wants to try Destiny 2 despite it not really being my type of game, but I will admit, I have no idea how I'd even begin to try to get into it. What I was reading seemed confusing enough, even before they started to remove content.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You’re in luck because I just did it!

You download the client, make a character and then follow the New Light campaign. That’s it! Once you’ve finished that (or before if you want) you can go off and do all the free stuff in it. There’s a few single player missions from each expansion to try and loads of multiplayer stuff. I’ve been having fun with it the last few weeks. It’s fun with friends or with a podcast. The shooting in it feels amazing and I think it looks great on the new consoles. Feels really nice at 60fps and with the 105FOV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Destiny 2 was fine back when I did play it, but I'm probably never going to bother again between how huge the game is in terms of hard drive space it takes up and their rear end backward idea to try and combat how bloated it's gotten by cutting content out of the game