Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Autocorrected me from "Cincinnati" to "Seattle"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

:thunk:

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 14, 2021

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Club #30 will be determined in the next 12 months, according to Garber.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Oh God I hope it's portland

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Oscar Wild posted:

Maine?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

:hmmyes:

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

I bet a team in New York would do well, especially if they had their own stadium.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Azerban posted:

I bet a team in New York would do well, especially if they had their own stadium.
And while they're at it, Cincinnati could use a team.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The league likes El Traffico so much it'll actually be expansion teams in Gresham and Bellevue, so Portland and Seattle can have their own cross-town rivalries. For Gresham they'll just build on that park across the road from McMenamin's, and Bellevue they'll just add on a couple of stories to the Bell Square parking garage and make it a rooftop stadium.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Time to follow the NFL's lead and push for a London expansion team imo

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
The new team is going to be an NFT

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
The new team is you, the fans.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

the sex ghost posted:

Time to follow the NFL's lead and push for a London expansion team imo
Tottenham Hotspur finally wins something

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Crazy Ted posted:

Tottenham Hotspur finally wins something

:holymoley:

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Oscar Wild posted:

Portland Orient

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

New England is a win or any dropped points by Seattle away from clinching the Shield.

Just like we all predicted at the beginning of the season, right?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
carles gil is my friend

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Pretty sure we get a loving trophy for that!!!

https://twitter.com/nerevolution/status/1452028203317538822?s=21

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
NYRB are clawing their way back into this playoff race, lot of big games coming up back the fact they're even back in the conversation is pretty neat.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

ohhhhhhhh new england. New England! New England! fuckin new england clap clap clap clapclapclapclap

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

you do

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
hi MLS thread. As an american getting into soccer late in life, should I start with MLS, Liga MX, or Premier (or whatever euro league)?

I cut cable a long time ago, so easy access to watching online would be great. Sorry if the question seems rude to ask in the MLS thread. I watched a couple of soccer clips of americans on YT, and the comments are always along the lines of "how to play football in the US: live internationally for 20 years and then go be a star." Is american soccer that far behind international play? I started watching the show on amazon prime, Inside Borussia Dortmund. I was only a couple minutes in and was already hooked. Does this mean i should get into the Bundesliga?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'd suggest getting into whatever team is local to you, if there is one, regardless of league they play in. Live soccer is way better than televised, plus watching a poo poo USL side with a few hundred of your closest friends is a great time.

edit: for an easy way to watch games online, check the MLS schedule and look at the HappyKalvin2 youtube channel when games are live. There's no archive, no pregame, no postgame, just a Bein Sports feed through youtube.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Answering your questions in a random order:

ESPN+ is only $6/month and gets you basically every match in the following leagues:

MLS (subject to blackouts if you're in the home market of a team and also for nationally televised games, even the ones on one of the proper ESPN channels)
Liga MX
La Liga
EFL Championship
Bundesliga
Eredivisie

And a shitload more. Pretty much a no brainer. Premier League is split between NBCSN and Peacock and I've heard it's a bit of a clusterfuck.

Do you by any chance live near any of the MLS teams? Because live soccer is cool (like ^^^ said...although if you're in the Portland area like they are I'd suggest looking a little further north for a much cooler team to root for).

It's a tossup as to whether online comments from people outside the US making GBS threads on soccer in this country or comments from Americans making GBS threads on soccer in this country are worse. Probably best to avoid both. Yes, soccer in this country is lagging behind some parts of the world, but people conveniently ignore the fact that those other parts of the world have been taking it seriously for up to 100 years longer. Give us a break (and gently caress off with your promotion/relegation talk while you're at it).

The main thing to know about LigaMX is that their fans are loving shitheads. The last few games involving LigaMX competition on US soul have resulted in arrests and stoppages of play due to the Mexican fans using the p-word chant and poo poo getting thrown on the field, and one of those games was an All-Star Game, a goddamn friendly.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 25, 2021

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Don’t watch the Bundesliga unless you like crushing disappointment.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
i wouldn't say i like crushing disappointment. it is my customary disposition and I actually do have espn+ so hooray haha. i'd love to watch some live soccer, but i've been playing it pretty safe the whole pandemic. i live in VA, but i really prefer to stay out of DC, so no DC united games for me for the forseeable future. that sucks about blackouts on the app tho. Does the NBA or the NFL blackout nationally televised games too? That sucks to hear about shithead fans in Liga MX. I guess it can't be helped, but still sucks.

i follow the NBA and mma in general, but im also a filthy casual who doesn't watch games or fights. my kids have been playing soccer recently, and i've actually really enjoyed just tooling around with a soccer ball in my backyard. i liked it so much, i ended up ordering a pair of Mizunos from Japan, and a copy of Fifa 17 haha.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

NBA, NFL and MLB also have local blackout rules in their streaming packages.

Depending on where you are in VA Charlotte could be closer to you than DC and they'll be coming into the league next year. One mark against them is that they were hyping up their brand reveal just to deliver a boring crest to go along with the most boring name possible: Charlotte FC. :geno:

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
Charlotte isn't super close, but I'd travel there before DC. no offense to dc, i just hate driving there.

is there a pickup/recreational thread anywhere?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
As others have stated, find a local team to go see. They absolutely do not need to be MLS. Depending on where in VA you live, there’s USL teams, NPSL, and women’s league.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

hi MLS thread. As an american getting into soccer late in life, should I start with MLS, Liga MX, or Premier (or whatever euro league)?

this is the mls thread so youre mostly gonna get pro mls and local soccer responses. Others hit those points so heres a couple other things id want to know

Yes, the big (England, Spain, Italy, Germany) European leagues generally have better players than MLS. The most promising MLS players will often look to move to European leagues. Their payrolls are several times higher. This is especially the case at the top end - most European leagues have 1-5 "big teams" that basically dominate every year and throw massive amounts of money around. The highest skilled players in the world will mostly play for around 15-25 big European teams, spread mostly across those 4 leagues. Since you mentioned MMA - the gap is comparable to UFC vs Bellator or One Championship - there are obviously boring ufc fights and good bellator fights and in a similar manner MLS has a handful of higher paid, bigger name players.

The flip side of that is MLS has a poo poo ton of parity, whereas the big european leagues decidedly do not. Right now the English Premier League is basically a 3 team race for the title after 2 months. Bayern Munich has a 90% chance to win Bundesliga after 9 games. Meanwhile the highest odds in MLS are New England at 22%, with 10 days left in the season, and every team that makes the playoffs has a real chance to win MLS cup. Some of that is structure (playoffs), a lot of it just that MLS has far more parity than almost every soccer league in the world.

There is also the European "Champions League", which is the best teams from each European league playing each other in a tournament during the season. Its on paramount+, and often has some of the top matches you'll see in the sport.

I don't see any reason you would want to start wth Liga MX unless you have some pre-existing attachment. Its a notch above MLS (for now), but far behind the big European leagues, its less accessible than MLS and if you want to watch English language coverage, it will be lacking.

When do you want to watch games (assuming its live)? European leagues will primarily be on weekend mornings and weekday afternoons - kickoffs range from 7am ET to 3pm ET. By contrast, MLS is primarily going to be weekend evenings and weekday(especially Wednesday) evenings and some late at night. If either of those don't work for you, that narrows it down.

The MLS season ends in about 10 days, with playoffs to come. The good news is that should mean some entertaining matches are upcoming, but its also not an easy time to latch onto a team since the offseason looms. European leagues are around 25% into their season and run until roughly May.

International soccer (as in National teams) is a different beast and is often the easiest entry point for Americans - the U.S. national team is currently in world cup qualifying and the next world cup is Winter 2022. Players play on both their national team and on club teams in league play. Most of the best American players currently play in various European Leagues. Most international play is specific monthish long tournaments and qualifying happens on scheduled dates when leagues do not play.

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 26, 2021

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I was going to suggest time of day as a factor as well. My wife sleeps until afternoon on weekends, so it’s easier for me to watch European matches in the morning and not have it conflict with plans etc.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
i mentioned liga mx only because i read it was the best north american league. i dont have an attachment to any of them, and spanish broadcasts aren't a dealbreaker for me. champions league sounds interesting, but i dont think i want to sign up for another streaming service if espn+ can handle most of my soccer needs. your post tho, g-hawk, is teaching me i have a lot of different options tho, which is always nice to have. i think the euro leagues start times might be best for me, but my available times to watch is all over the place anyways.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Good news: DisCo was less incompetent than the ref crew at Lumen Field on Saturday and suspended Tim Melia for a game
Bad news: It's not for the rest of the year like he deserves

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Huge game tonight between NYRB and United. Hopefully it goes better than our last visit down there.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Congrats Revs

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I'd just like to point out that Dairon Asprilla celebrates Christmas in October and this year he got a brand new bike.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/WhitecapsFC/status/1453566663257993219?s=19

Checks out

Edit:

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 28, 2021

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://twitter.com/coreyschreppel/status/1453572964151144449?s=21

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

This is a top quality post, op. Love to see posters encourage new fans of our stupid dead sport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Almost forgot, congrats to Cincy on earning their third straight Wooden Spoon. I'd say you can only go up from here, but your existence in this league proves that's not always the case.

e: Truly a historic effort

https://twitter.com/MattDoyle76/status/1453543333419175941

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 28, 2021