Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel like Victoria, Morgana, and Guz are all amazing contestants. And Alan and Desiree are both pretty awesome too. v good season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
We're all Alex during the young people's riddle.

An all-timer episode for Greg and Alex reactions, start to finish.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I'm disappointed no one tried gaming the bike task. Would've liked to see Rhod Gilbert do that one.

drunken officeparty posted:

I want Morgana to win but I’ll be happy as long as Desiree doesn’t.
But why :confused:

Escobarbarian posted:

Victoria is a perfect Taskmaster contestant
Victoria is delightful.

And not everyone has ridden a bike. It's perfectly normal.

Edit:

Cool ways to spread jam on toast:
* A slip and slide, but with jam
* Make Alex do it and then make him feed it to me

itry fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 15, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn’t learn to ride a bike until I was like 10, and that was bad enough. Poor Victoria.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly if that was her first ever time on a bike she did extremely well. She mostly just lacked the confidence to take her hands off the handlebar and trust that the bike would maintain its direction. She was pretty good at keeping balance by making sure the bike kept moving (although the fact that you had to keep the bike moving as one of the rules of the task probably helped there).

I feel like my approach to the bike task would have been to try to do it quickly with fewer mistakes, under the assumption that people trying to keep the bike moving slowly would lose their balance a lot and end up racking up tons of penalties that rendered the actual time to complete the course basically irrelevant (which is what did end up happening to everyone). It's probably an "easier said than done" thing though and I could easily imagine myself believing this was a very smart approach and then screwing up at each station trying to grab stuff while keeping the bike going at a decent enough speed to maintain balance, and then getting penalized for having to double back.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Alan's face whenever he got to say "copy that" in the riddle task was incredible. just a 50+ year old man having the time of his life playing with a walkie talkie. delightful.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah Victoria did a great job on the bike considering that she learned how to ride one in five minutes before the task started.

I'm a little disappointed she didn't just start that riddle task by decoding the cryptogram. It didn't look like Alex had realised you can crack a code like that without the key.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly if that was her first ever time on a bike she did extremely well. She mostly just lacked the confidence to take her hands off the handlebar and trust that the bike would maintain its direction. She was pretty good at keeping balance by making sure the bike kept moving (although the fact that you had to keep the bike moving as one of the rules of the task probably helped there).

I feel like my approach to the bike task would have been to try to do it quickly with fewer mistakes, under the assumption that people trying to keep the bike moving slowly would lose their balance a lot and end up racking up tons of penalties that rendered the actual time to complete the course basically irrelevant (which is what did end up happening to everyone). It's probably an "easier said than done" thing though and I could easily imagine myself believing this was a very smart approach and then screwing up at each station trying to grab stuff while keeping the bike going at a decent enough speed to maintain balance, and then getting penalized for having to double back.

I would've taken a few laps around the course just to start things off.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
FYI Victoria was on the Taskmaster podcast this week and its a very good ep

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tenebrais posted:

Yeah Victoria did a great job on the bike considering that she learned how to ride one in five minutes before the task started.

I'm a little disappointed she didn't just start that riddle task by decoding the cryptogram. It didn't look like Alex had realised you can crack a code like that without the key.

Yeah he mentions offhand in the studio segment that they didn't think you could crack it with only half the code, but if you're experienced with that kind of simple substitution cipher you can crack it with none of the code so long as you have a decent amount of sample text. It would probably be a fair assumption on the show though that it would be quicker to find the clues they have almost certainly hidden rather than try to crack it completely blind (especially since she already had the half puzzle in front of her so she could see that there were answers there).

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
One of my hobbies is codes and ciphers, so I love these kind of tasks.
Spoilering this just to be safe.

It could have been worked out without knowing the rest, if they had the time, and Victoria did guess A was E or whatever from looking at how often it was in it, the usual way of cracking these.
There is a screenshot of what Alan can see of the code, and its only 7 letters.
So Victoria would have seen 19, and was cracking it herself, and probably could have just guessed the rest of it without needing them.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 15, 2021

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Morgana just sitting in the caravan daydreaming with her tongue sticking out is an all time great moment for me.

Also “gently caress my face” and Alex collapsing was very good.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

happyhippy posted:

It could have been worked out without knowing the rest, if they had the time, and Victoria did guess A was E or whatever from looking at how often it was in it, the usual way of cracking these.
So Victoria would have seen 19, and was cracking it herself, and probably could have just guessed the rest of it without needing them.

Keep in mind, also, that "GVFDXVFGAK" appeared multiple times in the ciphertext; it may be hard to think of in the moment but it'd hard confirm a bunch of Alan's letters once noticed.

Psychepath posted:

We're all Alex during the young people's riddle.

An all-timer episode for Greg and Alex reactions, start to finish.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Also “gently caress my face” and Alex collapsing was very good.

Absolutely cannot get enough of Alex repeatedly corpsing, yeah.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

happyhippy posted:

I thought it was that each of them had roughly a third of the alphabet on each puzzle and the middle of it was only possible with the combination of the puzzles. But that said, yeah. It's totally possible if you know how to do substitution ciphers and the tricks to solve them. Letter frequency is the classic way of solving it. Testing common words with common letters is also a common technique. I have an app that's exactly that game that uses famous quotes.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I would've taken a few laps around the course just to start things off.
Yeah, I think the task said that the bike needed to be moving forwards at all times, but didn't say you had to be moving forwards towards the finish line. I'd have just spent ages riding around in laps to build up some time to halve.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

The latest episode of the Taskmaster Podcast has Victoria Coren-Mitchell and it is as VCM as it can possibly get, which rules.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

GazChap posted:

Yeah, I think the task said that the bike needed to be moving forwards at all times, but didn't say you had to be moving forwards towards the finish line. I'd have just spent ages riding around in laps to build up some time to halve.

I feel like despite the task saying that timing would start 5 minutes from reading the task, Alex didn't actually start the timer until they crossed the starting line, just based on his comment to Victoria when she stumbled before even starting the course that they hadn't started yet (although he might have just been nice to her because he knew this was already going to be a bit more difficult for her than intended).

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like despite the task saying that timing would start 5 minutes from reading the task, Alex didn't actually start the timer until they crossed the starting line, just based on his comment to Victoria when she stumbled before even starting the course that they hadn't started yet (although he might have just been nice to her because he knew this was already going to be a bit more difficult for her than intended).

There's clearly enough room within the course to turn around. You could potentially go back and forth several times without performing the obstacle tasks while staying within the cones. That's the sort of laps I'm referring to.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Guz and victoria are far less irritating than i expected,i actually couldn’t stand them on other shows but they’ve proven me wrong.
Im entranced by morgana,she’s like a stick insect doing an impression of justin hawkins.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I took forward to mean forwards to the end of the course. Why else put it there, I doubt they expected anyone to ride backwards.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd have loved to have seen Alex help Victoria learn to ride the bike with the classic dad technique of pushing her along and secretly letting go.

The riddle task was funny in a 5 minute clip but Morgana must have been bored out of her mind while the others bashed their heads against the brick wall.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I bet they didn’t think they would be as slow as they were, but if she had something like 1 point per Submarine it would have been great.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

drunken officeparty posted:

I bet they didn’t think they would be as slow as they were, but if she had something like 1 point per Submarine it would have been great.

Yeah seems like they thought that extra task would be harder than it was because she got it in like the first minute. Having to get them to say submarine as many times as possible, without them ever catching on that she was trying to get them to say it would have been pretty great.

That said Alex completely losing his poo poo during this task was great. He usually tries to keep his composure or hide that he's laughing behind his tablet, but after an hour I imagine his ability to keep a straight face was pretty diminished.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Have episodes of s12 beyond ep2 aired yet? I watch them on YouTube reupload and don't know if they've been removed or if they just haven't aired.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
3&4 have aired.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Have episodes of s12 beyond ep2 aired yet? I watch them on YouTube reupload and don't know if they've been removed or if they just haven't aired.

Ep 4 is the latest one.

Re the current Stormester: Linda P just seems to be a horrible person. Glad she's losing so badly.

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 18, 2021

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Darn, can't find em on yt. Thanks, though.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Go to the usual guy and check out their “community” tab.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

For some reason 3+4 are region locked. If you look at the playlist it probably says 'two videos are hidden in your country' or something like that. They aren't hidden in (eg.) France.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Unkempt posted:

Ep 4 is the latest one.

Re the current Stormester: Linda P just seems to be a horrible person. Glad she's losing so badly.

To be honest I was pretty disappointed in Tobias for destroying Simon's attempt at last week's live task, very unsporting behaviour, especially when someone's on the verge of the perfect game...

Roundup of tasks on Kongen Befaler and Stormester this week, starting with KB

Prize: The thing that seemed like a good idea at the time. Amir bought his 1 point prize entry from episode 1 back, and scored 4 points for it second time round.
Get this teddy bear across the finish line in as short a time possible. You must stay behind the starting line while the timer is running.
(Contestants are presented with a plate full of fish paste) Get as much fish paste back into the tube as possible. You have 20 minutes.
Make the next minute of this film:
(on video)Warning: viewers are advised that there are strong images and offensive content in the following feature. The actions were performed by professionals and must not under any circumstances be attempted at home.
Live: Recreate this balloon animal. You have two minutes.
The film task was a lot of fun, the contestants took it in different directions. Surprisingly simple live task, without any extra twists (no pun intended).

Stormester had the "Make a part of your body look abnormally long" task from UK Series 9, and the Taskmaster NZ live task about dividing food items with a chosen implement, along with:
(Contestants are presented with a plate full of meatballs) Eat the number of meatballs that you think is reasonable. Guess how many meatballs will be eaten in total. Closest guess wins.
Transport as many items from the shed to the igloo without being seen by Mark. You have 20 minutes or until Mark sees you.
Breadcrumb something exclusive. Most exclusived breaded item wins. You have 8 weeks.

Prompting the contestants to eat a reasonable amount is much more entertaining than asking them to eat as many as they can, it becomes a test of manners. The middle task is a refined version of a task from the prior series of Kongen Befaler. Mark is inside a pop-up tent on a revolving platform, so he has a limited field of vision that sweeps round the garden in a circle. The KB version only challenged the contestants to travel as far as possible without being spotted, which didn't work as well.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Nthing that Taskmaster NZ S2 is fantastic. Give it 2-3 eps to get rolling.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Still haven't announced a TM NZ S3, but it feels promising and an acknowledgement of how good that last season was that they keep showing up on the main TM Podcast.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Info (admittedly from Reddit) on the viewer numbers for TM NZ S2 suggest that it grew its audience by about 65% over the course of series two.
https://www.reddit.com/r/taskmaster/comments/q9jlus/taskmaster_nzs_growing_popularity/
Seems like a show growing by word of mouth. One of the links in that thread says that the final episode was the 5th most watched program funded by NZ in the month. Would be pretty surprised if it doesn't get another series based on that.

Been thinking about last week's prize task. Firstly, if you're going to enter food, lets immediately ditch the vegetable lasagne and enter a Viennetta, instantly more attractive and universally appetising. That said, Richard Herring got 1 point for a Cornetto, so maybe we need to do better. Lets top it with a few layers of pink wafer biscuits, cream, chocolate sauce, and hundreds and thousands. At least then we've clearly made an effort and added some layers.

Victoria's entry tickled me because it's like something out of a cryptic crossword, but it could have been taken a bit further. Suppose you took the plastic hens and glued them into a pyramid. Then you've got 21 layers (of eggs) arranged in 6 layers (that's 27 layers so far), and because you've got layers within layers, the whole entry is multi-layered, so that's 28 layers. I think leaning into the numerical side is probably the best way to sell it.

If we actually wanted to enter something good, I think you could try and shop around for something nice made from a cross-section of a tree trunk, like a tray or a side table or something. That way, you've got something made from layers that took a lot time to build up (rings of a tree).

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

The World Inferno posted:

Still haven't announced a TM NZ S3, but it feels promising and an acknowledgement of how good that last season was that they keep showing up on the main TM Podcast.
My suspicion/hope is that its almost complete disappearance from YouTube is because there are, or will soon be, international re-broadcast rights in play.

Would be nice to see TM NZ on telly between UK seasons.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
They're celebrating tonights episode as the 100th episode. Expect some themed tasks?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

They did a special task to commemorate the 50th episode...

...then cut it for time and put it out as a youtube extra
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjkD5mR1Abk

Maybe the 100th episode special task will make it in?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Heavy_D posted:

They did a special task to commemorate the 50th episode...

...then cut it for time and put it out as a youtube extra
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjkD5mR1Abk

Maybe the 100th episode special task will make it in?

Huh. I didn't know this exists. Thanks.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Oh 4Creative, you clever bastards.

Google have road-blocked this ad break and we’ve got an ad filmed in the house!

I think it’s Google anyway.

Edit; yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

And of course it was Al Murray who came back to do the taskvertising...