Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Way late to this but god drat face id is so good and fast.

I miss FaceID on my Pixel more than I miss fingerprint scanner on my iPhone.

Mask issues aside FaceID removes all friction from the user experience of biometric authentication, it's a small thing but I often find myself having to think about then place my finger on the scanner now because I'm so used to FaceID working transparently while using the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wheeee posted:

I miss FaceID on my Pixel more than I miss fingerprint scanner on my iPhone.

Mask issues aside FaceID removes all friction from the user experience of biometric authentication, it's a small thing but I often find myself having to think about then place my finger on the scanner now because I'm so used to FaceID working transparently while using the phone.

Yeah it’s one of those things that is so seamless and uncomplicated in that wonderful ~future tech~ sort of way. I’m not often wowed by technology nowadays but it’s one of the best upgrades I’ve seen in a while.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Shaocaholica posted:

What’s the best ATT trade in right now for a 13 pro max?

a cell phone

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Does the windows hello Face ID thing work well?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Kilometers Davis posted:

Way late to this but god drat face id is so good and fast.

Welcome to the club, friendo

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

tuyop posted:

On computers that have the same setup as an iPhone it works pretty well, though you’ll always be able to find laptops that cheap out and cut corners so it will technically still work but suck

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Inner Light posted:

Welcome to the club, friendo

:D the 8+ to 13 jump was really something. I’m loving this phone.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I got a Pro this week, and it’s so good to be back to the 4’s design.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wheeee posted:

Mask issues aside FaceID removes all friction from the user experience of biometric authentication

Unlocking through wearing the Watch if it detects a mask is a great addition too. I like how seamless it is for the most part these days, where you forget that if someone else tried to pick up your phone is just won’t work.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Pants Donkey posted:

I got a Pro this week, and it’s so good to be back to the 4’s design.

This is exactly how I feel - the 5/5S's design was nice as well, but nothing beats the heft of a 4/4S and 12/13 Pro. The iPhone 6/7/8 were all soft garbage.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

tuyop posted:

Depends on camera: my Logitech Brio works great on my desktop, my Surface Book 1 is super inconsistent.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why do photos taken with my 13 Pro appear blurry for a moment when I’m scrolling through them? I don’t have iCloud backup turned on. Is this an HDR thing?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So do I need to sign for my iPhone package or will UPS jus drop it off in front of my door?

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

punk rebel ecks posted:

So do I need to sign for my iPhone package or will UPS jus drop it off in front of my door?

Apple requires signature for everything according to my UPS driver. They left a ”we missed you note” but they were right next door still when I got home. They guessed something from Apple just due to signature required and explained the above.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

PirateDentist posted:

Apple requires signature for everything according to my UPS driver. They left a ”we missed you note” but they were right next door still when I got home. They guessed something from Apple just due to signature required and explained the above.

Is there a way I can "pre-sign" it so I don't have to be in my apartment when the package comes?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

punk rebel ecks posted:

I bought my phone from Apple’s website and UPS just tossed the box on my porch and didn’t even knock on the door

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Why do photos taken with my 13 Pro appear blurry for a moment when I’m scrolling through them? I don’t have iCloud backup turned on. Is this an HDR thing?

I guess it's programmed in way where the OS doesn't generate a thumbnail until it needs one. So the blurry photo is the absolute quickest way it can show you a thumbnail, then it does some computing and shows you a higher res thumbnail.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is there a way I can "pre-sign" it so I don't have to be in my apartment when the package comes?

You could try altering your delivery instructions themselves to say like "Deliver to front office." My phones for the past two years have been left at our front desk with no need for my signature.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Are third-party lightning to HDMI cables any good yet? £49.99 is still way more than I wanna pay for the occasional video output use.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

You can set up a MyUPS account and redirect the package to a UPS store and pick it up there. You'll need a little lead time to put in the delivery instructions. At least 24 hours ahead of time I think.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Josh Lyman posted:

My 12 does the same thing. I assume it’s some kind of thumbnail thing that allows you to scroll through photos faster.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Big photos small RAM probably

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Josh Lyman posted:

Wait, iCloud Backup or iCloud Photos? They are separate. If you have just iCloud Photos enabled it could be doing the thing where the full size file is not stored on the phone. If you have iCloud Backup enabled but not iCloud Photos, your photos are also part of your iCloud Backup but the full size photos will remain on the phone.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Is there anyone that begrudgingly switched from a small phone to a big phone in the period when the small iPhones didn't exist (say, 2016 SE to an 11), and then switched back to a small phone with a 12 or 13 Mini?

I ask because I loved my tiny little 2016 SE, but I've sort of gotten used to the big-rear end 11 Pro screen. I'm worried that my brain is broken after 2 years with a big screen and I won't be able to go back even though I generally prefer a smaller form factor. Does anyone have experience in the small -> big -> small pipeline and were there any regrets?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Wait, iCloud Backup or iCloud Photos? They are separate. If you have just iCloud Photos enabled it could be doing the thing where the full size file is not stored on the phone. If you have iCloud Backup enabled but not iCloud Photos, your photos are also part of your iCloud Backup but the full size photos will remain on the phone.
I have both iCloud backup and iCloud photos disabled. The only thing I use iCloud for is saving text messages. I turned on airplane mode and it’s still doing it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Josh Lyman posted:

I have both iCloud backup and iCloud photos disabled. The only thing I use iCloud for is saving text messages. I turned on airplane mode and it’s still doing it.

I just realized my 13 Pro is doing it too. I have iCloud Backup enabled but not iCloud Photos. The way iOS 15 handles HDR photos and photos in general has been a little wonky all around from my experience so far. For whatever reason you also can't disable HDR on the 13's.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

mancalamania posted:

Is there anyone that begrudgingly switched from a small phone to a big phone in the period when the small iPhones didn't exist (say, 2016 SE to an 11), and then switched back to a small phone with a 12 or 13 Mini?

I ask because I loved my tiny little 2016 SE, but I've sort of gotten used to the big-rear end 11 Pro screen. I'm worried that my brain is broken after 2 years with a big screen and I won't be able to go back even though I generally prefer a smaller form factor. Does anyone have experience in the small -> big -> small pipeline and were there any regrets?

I used to think bigger was better, then the phones got so big I couldn’t 1-hand them and I’ve gone the other way. I had an X max and 11 pro max, then a 12 pro, now a 13 mini. No regrets at all. I love that it fits in my pockets, battery life is good, it’s so cute. Love it.

Unfortunately the smaller screen didn’t stop me from continuing to spend too much time on my phone, haha. But I don’t miss the big phones at all, even though I watch videos and all the same stuff I did before.

get that 13 mini, imho. You will love it

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Josh Lyman posted:

It's either a lower resolution image being served immediately while the full sized image is loaded into memory, or if you're referring to freshly-taken photos going immediately into the camera roll, then they are just still being processed.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

enojy posted:

It's either a lower resolution image being served immediately while the full sized image is loaded into memory, or if you're referring to freshly-taken photos going immediately into the camera roll, then they are just still being processed.

It definitely didn't used to do this though, at least not to such a noticeable extent. It's most likely some sort of RAM/battery saving thing but honestly tapping on a stored photo on my phone and having it not load instantly feels very cheap for such a high end device.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ve noticed that too but honestly I’m already over it and it’s oddly satisfying waiting for the nicest version of the photo to load.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

It definitely didn't used to do this though, at least not to such a noticeable extent. It's most likely some sort of RAM/battery saving thing but honestly tapping on a stored photo on my phone and having it not load instantly feels very cheap for such a high end device.

Oh! I know what you mean. I went back through my camera roll to try and reproduce it, because I felt like I hadn't been seeing it lately (excluding the just-taken-photo processing delay.) It does seem tied to photos with post effects, like HDR and Portrait Mode. Plain photos (no HDR etc) from years ago pull up instantly. The HDR ones give me the plain photo, and then maybe half a second later, a blast of brightness.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Ever since I got my new phone (and switched from Google Fi back to Verizon), I've been having trouble with SMS text messaging. I can send/receive messages to individual people over SMS just fine. But if there's a group thread with a mix of people with SMS and people with iMessage, then none of my messages go through.

I tried deleting the chain and starting it new. When I did that, the people who have iMessage each got my messages as if I sent them individually, and the people who have SMS didn't get them at all.

I know when I had Google Fi there were some settings I needed to modify to get SMS working properly, but I don't see those settings anymore now that I'm back on Verizon. Anyone experience anything similar to this, or have any ideas on how to fix it?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

OldSenileGuy posted:

Ever since I got my new phone (and switched from Google Fi back to Verizon), I've been having trouble with SMS text messaging. I can send/receive messages to individual people over SMS just fine. But if there's a group thread with a mix of people with SMS and people with iMessage, then none of my messages go through.

I tried deleting the chain and starting it new. When I did that, the people who have iMessage each got my messages as if I sent them individually, and the people who have SMS didn't get them at all.

I know when I had Google Fi there were some settings I needed to modify to get SMS working properly, but I don't see those settings anymore now that I'm back on Verizon. Anyone experience anything similar to this, or have any ideas on how to fix it?

There's probably someone more knowledgeable than me, but off the top of my head, it sounds like you've done everything you can on your end. But you might want to reset your network settings for the hell of it.

Also maybe call up Verizon. Something could have been hosed up in the porting process.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

OldSenileGuy posted:

Go to settings / messages and make sure MMS Messaging and Group Messaging are enabled. If those options are missing I think something isn't configured right

Edit: if your old phone was an Android, make sure your number is unregistered from RCS. I don't think that's the issue but it doesn't hurt to check.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 17, 2021

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

There's probably someone more knowledgeable than me, but off the top of my head, it sounds like you've done everything you can on your end. But you might want to reset your network settings for the hell of it.
Is there a way to save your WiFi passwords when you reset network settings?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

OldSenileGuy posted:

Try and disable iMessage for a bit then reenable it.

Make sure your send and receive are set to use your phone number too. Not your dumb @iCloud. If the send and receive is set right maybe try switching them away to the wrong crap and then back to your phone number.

Some combination of the above fixed my sms issues.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Josh Lyman posted:

Is there a way to save your WiFi passwords when you reset network settings?

Not directly that I'm aware of, but you could use a password manager on iOS to save them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anton Chigurh posted:

Not directly that I'm aware of, but you could use a password manager on iOS to save them.
It just seems wild to me that a standard troubleshooting technique is to completely wipe out a bank of passwords that can be a pain to replace.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

fourwood posted:

Yeah I’m a little torn on the 3x. It’s gonna be great to have in certain situations, but imo it’s a long way from 1x to 3x at 12MP so any digital cropping will look rough pretty fast (eg you can do 1x Portrait and crop, but…)

Yeah its nigh unusable as Portrait or in low light. But the 1x camera is so drat good its worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

I switched from Xfinity to T-Mobile and ran into this a few times, but rebooting the phone always seems to resolve it. I do think it’s a carrier issue though, I’d try Verizon support.