Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

brand engager posted:

Samus aims it the same angle you have the stick pointed, is your joycon going bad?

That might be possible but I don't find the aiming controls intuitive or as precise when I am playing/aiming but this feels like the Skyward Sword argument all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

brand engager posted:

Samus aims it the same angle you have the stick pointed, is your joycon going bad?

E: also the emmi never enters the control unit rooms even after you blow the door, so you have a spot to get used to the aiming without the grabby robot breathing down your neck

I find the aiming to be disorienting when it goes over the shoulder.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

There's not much they could have done to make it simpler. You hold L. Is the robot straight to your right? Hold the stick to the right. Slightly above/below? Point the stick to the right and angle it up/down until the laser pointer is on the robot etc etc etc

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

brand engager posted:

There's not much they could have done to make it simpler. You hold L. Is the robot straight to your right? Hold the stick to the right. Slightly above/below? Point the stick to the right and angle it up/down until the laser pointer is on the robot etc etc etc

It's just kind of tricky to keep your aim precise when aiming at EMMIs. I'd find myself missing by a little, or it just taking long enough to get my aim right that I'd miss my opportunity and need to get another set up. Like I feel like it could have used just a tiny bit of aim assist or stickiness once you land the mark, but maybe that would have made those moments too easy & less tense.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

brand engager posted:

I'd prefer it if camera didn't move.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
samus? *chuckles* more like lameass

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
A discord buddy pointed out something neat in the finale;

https://imgur.com/a/OqGDe2h
The top image is from Fusion, when Samus realizes she's talking to Adam. The bottom is Dread, when Samus realizes she ISN'T talking to Adam.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I beat the game on Normal and am 3/4ths of the way through a Hard run (~3 hours in). A lot has been said already but here's my 2 cents:

Game is great, though not perfect by any stretch. I don't put it up there with BotW or anything like that but it's easily the slickest, most-refined Metroid of them all. It's not as precedent-setting as Super or Prime but the gameplay is just as good, if not better than any in the series. A strong 9/10 and GotY contender.

The game does railroad you a bit. I was looking forward to going back to the mental notes I made while traversing the earlier areas ("I need Morph Ball for that." "Oh, obvious Speed Booster room" etc.) but the ability to backtrack is actually limited early on unless you know the sequence-breaks and have the ability to pull them off. Only once did I ever feel completely stuck: just after Spin Boost and all the Fire Plant thingies blocking every conceivable exit. In reality, I just needed to time the double jump back into the EMMI room better. I thought I was missing something but I just didn't stick the landing well enough.

The only time I felt like I was fighting the controls were against the bosses but I eventually got over it with enough muscle memory. For my second time going through on Hard, I was floored at how much better I was at the beginning. I think I beat the first boss within the first 20 minutes and was jumping, shooting, and sliding like a champ. But it's a great feeling mastering Samus' move set and just clowning the same enemies that gave you trouble before. After getting bodied by the final boss after 5 or 6 attempts (getting a little further each time), I went to bed and in the morning beat it on the first try.

Speaking of bosses, there's always an initial difficulty curve but the game isn't unfair: you really can avoid everything. I applaud the design and scope of many of the bosses. Some are more memorable than others but I found all of them to be fun, even the repeated ones (because once you figure them out, they're not hard at all). I think the bosses are the highlight of the game, even more so than the EMMI encounters. To say a few words about them, they served their purpose well. I didn't treat them as enemies, I treated them as puzzles. Their zones are very straight-forward if you recognize that each part is just A-to-B. Sometimes you have to find B but the cat-and-mouse game didn't feel too punishing especially since the respawn point is just outside the door you went in. I would love to try a "No Deaths" run but some of the EMMI encounters get you with RNG that is hard to overcome. I thought the Omega mechanic was another part of the puzzle: where do I have LOS enough to pull this off, etc. The only thing I wish was that there came a point where you could go toe-to-toe with one. It's the opposite of Mega Man X's introduction: you never power-up to the point where the unbeatable boss becomes beatable.

My few true complaints was the lackluster soundtrack. The only times I perked up is when I heard Super motifs. Nothing was memorable to the point where if you asked me to hum an original tune from the game, I couldn't do it. Super had a great soundtrack, so did Prime, but this fell pretty flat to me. The other complaint is that I did experience the end-of-game crash after my first defeat of the final boss (which was quite the undertaking to begin with). I know that's being addressed but what a hell of a bug to have during an escape sequence.

Story thoughts:
I, too, thought the ADAM dialogue was drivel until the end. It was *almost* too clever for its own good but now that I'm on my second playthrough, it reads like a book. Having never played Fusion, I didn't get the whole "Lady" thing but having read up on that, ADAM calling Samus "Samus" was a dead-giveaway. Raven Beak's self-wankery is actually quite funny in retrospect and with the twist in mind, it makes Samus' reaction to him at the end even more reasonable. She saw through it early but as the mostly silent protagonist, she doesn't let on she figured it out.

My thoughts on the ending is a little different than the consensus I've been reading here. On my second playthrough, when Quiet Robe reactivates the EMMIs, he says something to the effect of "I'm counting on you." At first, I thought he was referring to the EMMI: as in, he was counting on the EMMI to get Samus' DNA because now he's fully under Raven Beak's control. Upon reflection, he's talking about Samus. I think Quiet Robe knew Raven Beak's plan of jump-starting Samus' Metroid metamorphosis and the only way to get her to fully mature is continue to challenge her to the point of breakthrough. The EMMIs still posed a challenge and would help her achieve that end state. Also, even though QR was reanimated by the X, I don't think at any point he was ever controlled. The Thoha genes or whatever granted him immunity to the X, just as they had control over Metroids. Thus, the ending makes sense: QR is still his honorable self and sees that by sacrificing himself, he can save Samus. It has little to do with what the X wants or how the SA-X treated Samus in Fusion: QR never lost control. If anything, he was prescient enough to realize that if Samus achieved Metroid-status, she'd murder Raven Beak and need to come back to the ship (which she'd destroy if she touched it). I think QR was just a few steps ahead the whole time, even going so far as to *expect* to be infected by the X

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

brand engager posted:

I think the issue is that it's third person over the shoulder at some degree angle up and over, but right still aims the gun 180 degree right despite that.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I think the issue is that it's third person over the shoulder at some degree angle up and over, but right still aims the gun 180 degree right despite that.

Reducing the stick sensitivity in those segments would help immensely.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Orange Crush Rush posted:

A discord buddy pointed out something neat in the finale;

https://imgur.com/a/OqGDe2h
The top image is from Fusion, when Samus realizes she's talking to Adam. The bottom is Dread, when Samus realizes she ISN'T talking to Adam.

It's because she already knows.

I will die on this hill

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

shouldn't it say Lady?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffle! posted:

shouldn't it say Lady?

It would...

If it was Adam.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I love Samus's body language in Dread. One of my favorite little things is the two Aeion ability statues after Corpius are completely harmless, but she's just so wary of grabbing the cube.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
the emmi sections are good, until you get to 5 & 6, which commit the crime of having 7/10 too much water

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Blaziken386 posted:

the emmi sections are good, until you get to 5 & 6, which commit the crime of having 7/10 too much water

the secret to these is to use the grapple hook a ton on magnetic walls and also that the emmi are also slowed by water, including their kill animation

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EMMIs will eventually trend towards your location but that is something a lot of 'being hunted' games do because it would be boring as poo poo to have something hunting you that just sits at the other side of the map forever.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

ImpAtom posted:

EMMIs will eventually trend towards your location but that is something a lot of 'being hunted' games do because it would be boring as poo poo to have something hunting you that just sits at the other side of the map forever.

They feel similar to the xenomorph from Alien: Isolation which starts off kind of randomly searching but over time converges on your area regardless of how stealthy you are and then eventually starts to focus specifically on your current location and specific hiding places so if you aren't moving at a reasonable pace you're hosed.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
the Emmis are only exciting for about a minute, then they're boring, they're not a threat in any way due to the checkpoints, and every fight with them is basically the same

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Renegret posted:

It's because she already knows.

I will die on this hill

I kind of get the feeling she was already very suspicious but when "Adam" starts going off about fulling destiny and seizing power from those unworthy or whatever then yeah, that's kind of a give away.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Party Boat posted:

So I've seen a few people posting about emulating the Prime trilogy with mouse and keyboard which I'm kind of tempted to try even though I've completed all of those games a couple of times over now.

However, I never completed Other M despite buying it on launch day (I think I dropped it somewhere around the infamous Varia suit moment). Would it be possible to do some kind of nightmare controller mapping in Dolphin that would put that game's mess of a control scheme onto a standard controller? Or if I really am determined to put myself through this should I just dig my Wii out of the loft?
yes, and you don't even have to do it yourself!

here's the control scheme i used for other M on dolphin which i got from somewhere i can't find now. just drop this into your dolphin control config folder and you're done.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w2z6IkAE3jSSKImYBaoE3IXa2xhxx2qd/view

just this makes the game a lot better already, i would recommend it any day over sideways wiimote on the actual console

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Amppelix posted:

yes, and you don't even have to do it yourself!

here's the control scheme i used for other M on dolphin which i got from somewhere i can't find now. just drop this into your dolphin control config folder and you're done.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w2z6IkAE3jSSKImYBaoE3IXa2xhxx2qd/view

just this makes the game a lot better already, i would recommend it any day over sideways wiimote on the actual console

Awesome, thank you so much!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So I just got up to the Z-57 fight… I’ve been avoiding guides or walkthroughs but after like 20 minutes of just peppering the boss with missiles I looked one up. It didn’t mention anything about shooting it’s legs when it does that one phase. It just said keep doing damage and eventually it will die. So I spent another 20 minutes just beating the poo poo out of this boss for no reason until I pulled up a correct guide. Holy poo poo that was annoying.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Really the big problem with the EMMI sections is that they seem to present themselves as a game where stealth and slow, careful movement is the intended way to avoid detection, but in actual practice the correct way to get through EMMI rooms is to just book it as fast as you can, give zero shits about detection, and just flash step and slide around until it loses track of you and you can exit. It's meant to be a high-stakes tense situation where one false misstep will spell your doom, but they realized they couldn't actually have that high stakes in a video game like this, so there's generous autosaving. All in all it turns the EMMI rooms from a source of tension and (title drop) dread into a miniature car chase section that you know you can just retry a few seconds if you ever gently caress it up.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
EMMI are always good because I always feel stressed til I beat them.

EMMI are always bad because I always feel stressed til I beat them.

I'm genuinely torn on them because they are a neat idea but not one I really wanted the game built around. I prefer the pure exploration of Super Metroid tbh. That said, Dread is honestly amazing and the best entry in every other way possible so there's that. Once you get some tricks back in your bag Samus just becomes a full on shitwrecker, especially as you learn the harder encounters. I'm not sure who said it earlier but I completely agree with the strong Doomguy energy she has. I cannot wait until Prime 4.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The EMMI sections were by far my least favorite part of the game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah they kind of suck. What’s funny is it’s presented as a cat and mouse game but the areas are so small and kind of blandly designed booking accomplishes way more

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I still like 'em - even if they weren't the main draw of the game for me.

I fully expect the next game to have similar enemies stalk you everywhere on the map. Fusion had SA-X coming after you during scripted segments, Dread has entire areas dedicated to it - it's gotta keep escalating.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think SAX was done better, TBH

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Augus posted:

the emmis are very thorough about searching wherever they last heard you, they don’t just wander off to some random corner of the planet. you should just run once they break line of sight with you, you’re a freaking cyborg ninja

The EMMI units beeline straight for you whenever you're under cloak, even if you've moved from your original location. The easiest way to test this and see the results for yourself is to look for a spot with magnet walls. Whenever you're under cloak and on one of those walls, the EMMI unit will deviate from its search route to climb the wall and go straight for you, even if that's out of the way from wherever it originally detected you moving.

Basically, the whole "stealth" system is a sham. The NPC AI knows exactly where you are the entire time, and the only effect the cloak actually has is to keep it from officially going into the alert state where it speeds up and the outside doors close.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Really the big problem with the EMMI sections is that they seem to present themselves as a game where stealth and slow, careful movement is the intended way to avoid detection, but in actual practice the correct way to get through EMMI rooms is to just book it as fast as you can, give zero shits about detection, and just flash step and slide around until it loses track of you and you can exit. It's meant to be a high-stakes tense situation where one false misstep will spell your doom, but they realized they couldn't actually have that high stakes in a video game like this, so there's generous autosaving. All in all it turns the EMMI rooms from a source of tension and (title drop) dread into a miniature car chase section that you know you can just retry a few seconds if you ever gently caress it up.

:yeah:

Levantine posted:

EMMI are always good because I always feel stressed til I beat them.

EMMI are always bad because I always feel stressed til I beat them.

Once I understood how they worked (e.g. stealth is useless, just figure out where the next door is and then run around in circles until you can exit), any sense of stress went away and it just became a minor memorization puzzle between deaths and the annoyance of the lovely-rear end controls for the grapple beam.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think SAX was done better, TBH

I want a Fusion remake that ends with 10 SA-X chasing you.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Roadie posted:

Once I understood how they worked (e.g. stealth is useless, just figure out where the next door is and then run around in circles until you can exit), any sense of stress went away and it just became a minor memorization puzzle between deaths and the annoyance of the lovely-rear end controls for the grapple beam.

For me the stress is "how many more times am I going to have to be inconvenienced by this before I can get back to what's fun?"

I get why people like it, but the saturation of it just isn't for me. I'd rather explore and shoot things that explode.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
gently caress me, a room with two of those chozo robot dudes? i'm poo poo enough that dealing with one of them at a time was a pain lmao

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Box of Bunnies posted:

gently caress me, a room with two of those chozo robot dudes? i'm poo poo enough that dealing with one of them at a time was a pain lmao

Use the flash dash move they can do nothing if you are running circles around them

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Oh, turns out I was going into the room at half health lol. Once I clocked that and went to the recharge station just outside that door I got it no worries

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
So I was putting myself through my speedrun paces, and was annoyed to learn that the opening cutscene counts towards clear time. :catstare: Is it skippable?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
All cutscenes count towards IGT, skipped or otherwise.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah amusingly all the speedruns have longer in game time than real time, opposite of any normal playthrough because while the timer does not count menus or game overs, it does automatically add the time for any cutscene you skip

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
For that reason a save file gets made that has the opening cutscene already played, and then exited out. Then copied over to an empty save file so you can immediately start a speedrun without having to sit through all that anytime you want a fresh start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

gently caress yeah, I hit 100% items in only 11:47:20. I guess the reason I never came close in any other Metroidvania is because none of them have Dread's incredibly useful map.

Guess I better finish the game now.