Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Aliens are here for the weed I loving knew it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CU8p9hsDO_F/

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

aw the lil p'jamas are so cute

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Slavvy posted:

Thanks dudes! So to reproduce this 'naturally' you'd have to have like, a randomly blinking/interrupted light source behind a rotating gas cloud or similar which perfectly polarizes the light and it happens to be pointing directly at us? As in it's unlikely to be natural to the point of absurdity?

it’s reproduced naturally all the time. go look at a flat lake you’re seeing polarized light when the suns rays bounce off of it which is why polariZed glasses let you see without glare. obv it’s not the exact same as the space thing nor does it “explain it” - just saying, polarized light isn’t weird alone

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The thing I wanna know is how common are naturally occurring sources of circularly polarized light, cause it seems like those would be more complicated than light bouncing off stuff or through space dust or crystals, right?

There are natural crystals that you can hold up to an overcast sky and use to undo the cloud polarization and see exactly where the sun is (so, navigate).

But circular polarization seems like it would be more complex to set up than shining light through some relatively simple medium. The different uh, "component waves" need to be offset in time, right? Where a cloud or crystal just blocks all parts of the waves that don't match its own polarization.

So if I get it, you can't have a rotating dust cloud produce circular polarization, that would just produce light that is still linearly polarized but the angle rotates at the same rate the cloud does?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Ah, dur, I forgot light gets slowed down when it passes through stuff, so this suddenly makes more sense. Here is a guy talking about it

https://youtu.be/P0asuzX4x-Q

So even if you had some really diffuse cloud, if it has certain refractive index for a particular frequency, a long as it was big enough it could work to polarize the light like this

Then the weird fading periodic emission could be caused by any other of a bunch of things

In conclusion: it's just a bird

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

The thing I wanna know is how common are naturally occurring sources of circularly polarized light, cause it seems like those would be more complicated than light bouncing off stuff or through space dust or crystals, right?

There are natural crystals that you can hold up to an overcast sky and use to undo the cloud polarization and see exactly where the sun is (so, navigate).

But circular polarization seems like it would be more complex to set up than shining light through some relatively simple medium. The different uh, "component waves" need to be offset in time, right? Where a cloud or crystal just blocks all parts of the waves that don't match its own polarization.

So if I get it, you can't have a rotating dust cloud produce circular polarization, that would just produce light that is still linearly polarized but the angle rotates at the same rate the cloud does?

I thought this was gonna come up. Circular polarization is absolutely a thing, where the x & y components are precisely opposed to eachother, as in the gif you showed here denoted as LHC/RHC

but, if I'm understanding correctly, the original observation isn't the same as that, but is instead linearly polarized light, with the line or plane of polarization itself turning in time.

i've posted enough about it at this point i should probably go read the source carefully

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So we come back to the original question: what the gently caress are the articles actually talking about

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

seriously at this point if all those explanations didn’t help all you need to know is that there’s light being emitted in a way that has no currently known or suspected natural cause

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wheeee posted:

seriously at this point if all those explanations didn’t help all you need to know is that there’s light being emitted in a way that has no currently known or suspected natural cause

I got that far, but now there appears to be uncertainty if that's even the case?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah is it a rotating linear or actually circular emission?

E: somebody remote view the tonight's Astral emission and let us know what the deal is

E2: it's specifically circularly polarized, half these articles are just talking random bullshit or overly dumbing it down

The polarization does change between detections tho

SniperWoreConverse has issued a correction as of 01:58 on Oct 16, 2021

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Thinking about it, linear and circular polarization both could, in principal, 'spiral', it would just be more subtle for the latter example.

Consider again our LHC wave, in this case-

If the wave is constant, then it'll be hitting the 12'oclock position over and over after a fixed interval.

However, the 'clock' 'waveplate' in this case could also rotate in time, such that when you expected it to be back at the 12 o'clock position, it is now at the 6 o'clock, and then again later back at 12 and so on.

Just imagine that the waveplate is also rotating about the axis of propagation, and bingo bango bird light

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

E2: it's specifically circularly polarized, half these articles are just talking random bullshit or overly dumbing it down

The polarization does change between detections tho

Oh well then yeah there you go

What I would like to see observed is the cutoff/restart of the signal. Is it a sort of soft gaussian fade out? Or does it just... blink off.

If we saw it do the latter, the hair on the back of my neck would stand up.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I'm pretty sure if the "plate" rotated you would get elliptical instead of circular light.

https://arxiv.org/abs/2109.00652

It's seeming like a mystery thing that IMO could be explained by having some radio transient which just so happens to be shining through various kinds of orbiting space clouds, but don't know how to even bullshit a way the clouds would have to be set up in order to match the data.

I basically don't know what I'm looking at for half of the paper

SniperWoreConverse has issued a correction as of 02:15 on Oct 16, 2021

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

SavageGentleman posted:

Hemisynch or crazy tech is not needed in any way, so no need to waste money.

Those authors specialize in remote viewing, which is quite different from astral projection both in goal and method. AP is gently aided by putting yourself into theta-level consciousness, which Hemi-Sync and hypnosis produce. RV not so much.

SavageGentleman posted:

Also: no cheating by using astral travel when you should solve the rv challenges via RV!

Trying to use astral projection on blind remote viewing targets wouldn’t work anyway. Different tools for different jobs.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

I'm pretty sure if the "plate" rotated you would get elliptical instead of circular light.

Nah, not if the 'plate' rotated at a very slow rate relative to the frequency of the light.

e; i'm gonna tie one on real hard and then read that paper, as that is the only condition under which i can digest sci lit, but just glancing at the abstract it is interesting it exhibits both circular and up to 80% linear which is... elliptical. Very eccentric, but still. If my interpterion of rotation measure is right though then

quote:

rotation measure of the source varied significantly, from −11.8±0.8 rad m−2 to −64.0±1.5 rad m−2, over three days
is exactly what i was describing with the waveplate cross-section rotation

The Protagonist has issued a correction as of 02:58 on Oct 16, 2021

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I'm like 99% sure as the plate rotates it goes from circular to elliptical and back to circular, regardless of how fast it rotates, and the exact details depend only on the structure of the plate and the angle of rotation.

The helix part is just the added up portions of all the waves in the light source, so it's going to have the qualities of being left or right handed and more circular or more elliptical, but it's not "real." The guy in the vid I posted explains this better than I could you can just look at the diagrams he shows without knowing the math. The waves add together kinda weirdly but it makes enough sense I think.

Also unless I'm wrong, in that gif the clock is not the plate at all, it's just a cross section showing the magnitude and direction of the polarization at that spot at that time

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Wheeee posted:

dust clouds rotate

If the dust cloud acts as a linear polarizer, there you go

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

space swamp gas trapped in a space weather balloon

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

blatman posted:

space swamp gas trapped in a space weather balloon

pecked at by birbs Also lens flare

meanwhile r/UFOs is getting a little rowdy about consciousness questions!

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

the actual paper if anyone's curious, tl;dr it's probably not birds and also not just dust clouds

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Riot Bimbo posted:

I can recall narrative information just fine. It's in technical stuff, like "how do i fly, how do i traverse large gaps of space, how did i give a formless and malevolent entity a form that i could then destroy?" Those are things I couldnt say for sure.

I mean, generally speaking moving stuff involves creating something like a positive/negative channel? Like i can relay how it feels, when i generate a pulling effect to alter the momentum of something, it's kind of like i feel one hand expelling energy or something, and another is pulling, and it's like a band i use to hook something and pull... Or push... It from me. But *how* i make that happen is not something im capable of conveying here, but i probably could if i were in that space

Same with flying, it's about generating enough force to do the thing, and doing that involves something tuat i would relate as manipulating some kind of field around me.

It kind of checks out then. It seems to me ones brain would discard/stash away the instructions, like switch from gamepad to mouse and keyboard, when switching between "real" and "astral". Like the toolkit is so different it'd only complicate things if it was confused, and one would just walk off a building thinking one could zip away-

if its a function in the "real" why could it not be scaled between the different

Riot Bimbo posted:

As for hypnosis stuff, I've got a long track record of exposure of the mundane, hilarious, and kinky. Solo and one on one, and group. Not stage, though. It started as a curiosity when my weird and insane psychology teacher in HS made us review case studies about it, and i looked for anxiety reduction stuff and confidence boosting stuff. Then i found the other stuff. I'd say ive been helped and harmed by it, but i understand how it generally works systematically. There are a few methods and the effective stuff employs a wide range of it in tandem.

I've seen someone's mind break and someone I loving detest attempted to use conditioning to suppress my natural ego and supplant it. That person is scum and I legit wish them the worst in life.

They have a victim count. Talked to one gal they hosed over that literally slips into one of a couple of developed/conditioned egos they had a hand in making, they're reckless and massively destructive to her life and she struggles to stay out of trouble because of what was done to her.

All astral poo poo aside, all alien poo poo aside, hypnosis is insanely real and i think incredulous neurodivergent sorts for whom it does not work, like to gawk and gab about it being nonsense or placebo but idk none of what I've seen is remotely satisfactorily explained away as such, even though placebo is incredibly effective on its own when tapped the right way, hypnosis is not that. You cannot shatter egos and build new personalities from whole cloth with a placebo.

To anyone that messes with any hypnosis, at any level, for any reason: avoid self guided stuff with files from people you dont know.

Imagine your brain is just a computer. In this metaphor, Hypnosis is firmly capable of giving a user root access. Would you give root access to a stranger? Not on loving purpose you wouldn't, not unless you had a death wish or are hornier than you are smart or something.

Idk that poo poo was all fun and games until i met people broken by it, and ran into a sociopath that tried to break me with it. Then reading CHAOS and poo poo, and this journalist uncomfortably reading off the exact same poo poo that happened to me in the context of some of this countries darkest moments... That poo poo is wild.

This world is way darker than most people thought, and i would say that if aliens are real, and here interacting with us, and any amount of the astral poo poo, or any of the psychic poo poo is also true, guarding one's mind from intrusion both in meatspace and spiritually becomes a vital life and death discipline

Getting crack/pinged on hypnosis by mkultra stuff in my early teens has successfully built up a wall for any hypnosis stuff. I'm sure they could mkultra me if they wanted but any tape/technique ive tried has been failed because of my own inhibitions most probably. I'm eating all this stuff up because i want to try again, so thanks for the posts.

(Also the Spencer post, that was great.)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Bilirubin posted:

meanwhile r/UFOs is getting a little rowdy about consciousness questions!

tbf the idea of nuts and bolts alien technology doesn't actually challenge humanity's collective understanding of existence, anyone who's not a committed bazinga brain dummy can accept that alien UAPs are at least possible if not plausible to exist, while this whole consciousness angle and what Vallee has been banging on for decades is... different, and upends everything

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Our science has proved that Consciousness begets reality. We regard with patience the childlike efforts of those who delude themselves it is the other way around, as they play with their blocks of 'hard matter'.

Although it hurts, we must grow up and put aside our outdated notions of morality. There is no 'divine spark' granting special value to a living mind. No object has any intrinsic value apart from what we choose to grant it. Let us embrace the freedom of certitude, and achieve maximum efficiency in all things!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

The Protagonist posted:

Our science has proved that Consciousness begets reality. We regard with patience the childlike efforts of those who delude themselves it is the other way around, as they play with their blocks of 'hard matter'.

Although it hurts, we must grow up and put aside our outdated notions of morality. There is no 'divine spark' granting special value to a living mind. No object has any intrinsic value apart from what we choose to grant it. Let us embrace the freedom of certitude, and achieve maximum efficiency in all things!

green party vs tankies

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

i found a typo in the paper

section 3.2, page 13, end of paragraph two

quote:

Hence we conclude the observed emission is unlike[sic] to be due to common pulsar-related origins.

they meant to type unlikely.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Will work on the lil primer today.

In other news: Can any of our elite astral projector people check out Sandia Mountain? From tweets it sounds like the P'nti welcome these kinds of visitors as long as they stay in the main control room/official areas.

https://twitter.com/SandiaWisdom/status/1448864127808647183

First one who spots their pizza stash gets a prize!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

The Protagonist posted:

utilitarianism? you have supreme ethical freedom and you go with utilitarianism?

kinky

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

she's getting better!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
so a friend from high school posted this (globally public) on FB and I have never seen or even read anything described like it: https://www.facebook.com/577996700/posts/10158620373706701/?d=n

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I know I'm kind of a UFO thread curmudgeon because I'm overwhelmingly skeptical about everything, but bear with me for a bit. This is 100% honest/sincere and I am not trolling, shitposting, or lying. I can't prove it or I would toxx myself on this.

Yes, I'm the weirdo with a magnetic implant (Dangerous Things xG3) between my left pinky and ring finger, and I felt two "bursts" of vibrations from it, one that was just an on/off sequence that lasted for maybe 15-20 seconds and a second one that was a bit less ordered. It was way stronger than anything I've ever felt walking under high tension power lines or inside a substation, I have no idea what it could have been. Maybe astronomy is happening, maybe geology is happening, but I don't loving know.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

GWBBQ posted:

I know I'm kind of a UFO thread curmudgeon because I'm overwhelmingly skeptical about everything, but bear with me for a bit. This is 100% honest/sincere and I am not trolling, shitposting, or lying. I can't prove it or I would toxx myself on this.

Yes, I'm the weirdo with a magnetic implant (Dangerous Things xG3) between my left pinky and ring finger, and I felt two "bursts" of vibrations from it, one that was just an on/off sequence that lasted for maybe 15-20 seconds and a second one that was a bit less ordered. It was way stronger than anything I've ever felt walking under high tension power lines or inside a substation, I have no idea what it could have been. Maybe astronomy is happening, maybe geology is happening, but I don't loving know.

three terms that make me feel very smart and insightful about this

solar flares
geomagnetic... stuff
leylines

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Petey posted:

so a friend from high school posted this (globally public) on FB and I have never seen or even read anything described like it: https://www.facebook.com/577996700/posts/10158620373706701/?d=n
ArianeSpace launched a Soyuz rocket from Vostochny Cosmodrome carrying 36 OneWeb satellites on Oct. 14. Looks like your friend is in California, it could very well be a fuel dump or deorbit burn exhaust from an upper stage catching sunlight from over the local horizon. It's usually done over the Pacific Ocean for logistical reasons. It's a rare sight up here in the US northeast, especially compared to what we get to see of night launches from Wallops, but I've gone down to the beach to see it a couple of times and it's pretty spectacular.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

three terms that make me feel very smart and insightful about this

solar flares
geomagnetic... stuff
leylines
I didn't feel anything through the coronal mass ejection and geomagnetic storm a few days ago, and this was far more intense than the feeling of "no, that 13.4kV breaker has not been shut off, nevermind locked out or tagged out" (I'm not even an electrician, but I know it's not a good sign if I walk into a room and my hand starts vibrating while my non contact tester starts screaming).

Whatever the gently caress it was, it wasn't something I've ever felt before. If not for insomnia, I probably would have whacked my head on the ceiling like Jodie Foster in Contact

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

GWBBQ posted:

ArianeSpace launched a Soyuz rocket from Vostochny Cosmodrome carrying 36 OneWeb satellites on Oct. 14. Looks like your friend is in California, it could very well be a fuel dump or deorbit burn exhaust from an upper stage catching sunlight from over the local horizon. It's usually done over the Pacific Ocean for logistical reasons. It's a rare sight up here in the US northeast, especially compared to what we get to see of night launches from Wallops, but I've gone down to the beach to see it a couple of times and it's pretty spectacular.

rad

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Regardless of any subject at hand, watch all the rocket launches you can possibly see. Also just look at the sky at night, there's an unbelievable amount of stuff to see and a whole lot that you might even be the first person to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

GWBBQ posted:

did you install it yourself or did someone else?