Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Serephina posted:

these things started bothering me at a young age when I came up with an answer to a problem in a kid's playbook but the answer at the back said otherwise

loll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Hunter is good and pretty. Excellent Nature Walking sim where sometimes you can, if you want, shoot an animal (with a gun or maybe a camera).

Is there anything else to do but walking around? Like a meaty single player campaign, collecting resources/cash, a skill tree, building your own pretty lodge?
I know nothing about this game but it looks weirdly intriguing.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Snake Maze posted:

The game itself is just raw dungeon crawling, unadulterated by any "story" or "environments". There's math puzzles because the devs wanted some math puzzles.

I'm not as far as Agent355 but I honestly think it's pretty fun.

It is pushing my buttons in the good ways but I think that says more about me than the game.

It's extremely bare bones and doesn't have a whole lot to engage with. But I"m watching pro dota while I play and it's perfect for that.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Hub Cat posted:

The DLC isn't necessary in the slightest. Some of the equipment is nice to have for certain styles of hunting but otherwise completely skippable except maybe ATVs and tents which are frequently on sale. The base game comes with 2 fairly large maps and something like 16 species of animals so the extra maps aren't really necessary but they are decently made and fairly inexpensive. A lodge is necessary if you want to save trophies.

There really isn't much non-hunting gameplay beyond some fairly light exploration but you are able to walk around and take pictures to your heart's content, there aren't any kind of survival mechanics beyond a health bar. (You could simply unequip the firearms if you don't want that to be accessible)

There is 1 aggressive species on the base maps(black bears) but they're fairly easy to avoid if you move away when they growl.

Some of the more recent map packs mission chains are largely non-hunting tasks but the base game ones are mostly hunting animal A in area B or the like.

Edit: Worth pointing out approaching animals can be difficult. The game is attempting to give them realistic senses so it's fairly easy to scare away animals if they smell see or hear you.

Good info. Ta. I'll grab it for a buck and hold off on the DLC for now.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Pigbuster posted:

Basically we live in a clown world right now where you can tell everyone about a blatant scam and you'll have a couple guys come up and go "okay but how much does the scam cost".

If you've ever thought "I don't think I understand NFTs", chances are you understand them perfectly, because 99% of the crap spouted out about them is hot air to distract from how at their core they're little more than json files that contain a link to a webpage that has a picture on it.

I thought it was the signature to the said json file. Not that it makes it any better.

EDIT: Really I am confused about NFTs in general. It feels like blockchain technology is a solution in search of a problem, in general.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 16, 2021

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

sauer kraut posted:

Is there anything else to do but walking around? Like a meaty single player campaign, collecting resources/cash, a skill tree, building your own pretty lodge?

Yes to all of that. "Campaign" might be a strong word but every location does have a series of storyline quests, usually about helping the warden deal with some sort of crisis in the reserve.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Agent355 posted:

Dungeon Encounters

welp

:shepspends:

also got Inscryption

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

sauer kraut posted:

Each reserve has a loose storyline with missions from various characters, usually you're a new warden or a professional hunter brought in to deal with various things. You get cash from harvesting animals that you can use to purchase equipment and supplies. There is a skill tree with various things like making you slightly quieter, the guns swaying less, better estimates on the score value of an animal, etc. There are DLC hunting lodges, you don't really build them though besides filling them full of trophies you've harvested.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Oh yeah that's the good stuff, cheers.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You get cash from harvesting animals that you can use to purchase equipment and supplies.
Uh what?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The game calls killing animals and collecting your kill “harvesting” cause that is what you, as a professional hunter, are doing. Within the context of the missions when you’re shooting animals you’re typically not hunting in the reserve for sport, you’re conducting population control, collecting a sample for testing, and sometimes even just gathering food for the local population.

Ofc from a gameplay perspective you’re just blasting animals and are free to ignore missions and just wander around shooting anything you find. However, like I said, it takes a very respectful, “moral” approach to hunting and encourages that via mechanics. You’re penalized for needless cruelty like shooting an animal more than twice or using too large/small a caliber weapon (no killing a Buffalo via shooting it dozens of times with a .22 and no vaporizing a hare with a .50cal musketball), or not hitting a vital organ (heart,lungs, liver, which ensures a swifts death with a minimum of suffering) or for damaging the “trophy organs” (which in most species means no headshots (the brain isn’t considered a vital organ by the scoring system anyways, IRL headshots are far more likely to cause a horrible wound that takes days to die from than an instant kill). You also get penalized for killing an animal and NOT collecting it.

There is also "Hunting Pressure" where killing animals in a small area will cause a purple-reddish splotch to appear on the map, if the splotch gets too bright (typically 3-4 kills) animals will start to avoid that area and all the "need zones" in that area will be erased, changing animal behavior. Need zones are very useful for knowing the habits of animals and where to find them at certain times so this can be quite the penalty depending on your style of hunting. To remove the hunting pressure you simply need to go hunt elsewhere in the reserve.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 16, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's the Far Cry of hunting sims and I mean that in the best way possible. There's just a ton to do all over the map and lots of different viable ways to do it (build a perch and wait all day for animals to come by, slowly and meticulously track them, use calls and scents to bring them to you, etc). I'm not into hunting as an IRL concept but it's a fun as heck game.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I've been seeing videos of that game on and off for awhile and thinking about getting it, so yeah, I'll take the $115 of DLC plus the game for fifteen bucks, thank you very much

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Thanks for letting us know of the deal. I've been interested in spending time on those pretty environments for a while so I also bought everything for 12 euros.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Yeah, thanks for the Humble heads-up. I considered buying Hunter during many previous sales, but getting the "complete version" is too good to pass up, especially at this price.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
For the people buying theHunter I'd recommend choosing one map and sticking to it for a good while. Layton Lakes is often recommended, I've started out on Hirschfelden (they're the two base game maps.) Sure, check out the others, but doing your levelling up getting to know one map (they're fairly big maps) will see you much better in the long run.

It's possible to figure out some of the systems in a min/max way. Like driving around on an ATV discovering everything for your first couple of days, discovering where and what times the animals eat and drink, and then targeting that. I find slowly making your away around, discovering things naturally to be far more rewarding. Targeting "need zones" is really the "end game" kind of strategy where you want to get rare and diamond kills (there's a scoring system much like the real world based on size of the animal, complexity of their specific features, etc.) but the game, for me, is extremely enjoyable if you're not trying to be completely efficient and go through the highs and lows almost roleplaying it all.

The point I'll make about that is that your first big kill after you've tracked some animal you really wanted down for 30 minutes at the beginning of the game is just as big a deal as the "end game" stuff. It's really well tiered in that the challenges you face, by setting them yourself, are as rewarding at the beginning as further into the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Riftbreaker - Am I doing something wrong? I'm at the point where I'm supposed to be upgrading my HQ and my ironium production is horrible despite having like 5 collection centers and a whole bunch of windmills + solar panels for energy. Feels like the resource acquisition is taking forever.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

find more deposits

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

The Good Life is certainly something

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

find more deposits

Also build more storage. Iron always trickles in slow but you only need in short occasional bursts, so let your reserves build up during all the time you're not using it

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

*Ironium :ironicat:

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Flimf posted:

The Good Life is certainly something

did you get to the peeing mechanic yet?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Are there any recommendations for tower defence type games? I have Defence Grid 1/2 and really like them. Also have Kingdom Rush which I quite like, but find a little frustrating that it doesn't have a quick rewind-type of thing like Defence Grid.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Mad Wack posted:

lol no I have only just gotten to the "transportation" mechanic

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

slidebite posted:

Are there any recommendations for tower defence type games? I have Defence Grid 1/2 and really like them. Also have Kingdom Rush which I quite like, but find a little frustrating that it doesn't have a quick rewind-type of thing like Defence Grid.

The Riftbreaker just came out and it's like a Tower Defense/Factorio-lite type game.

There's also X-Morph: Defense, in which you play as an alien invader fighting off the military.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

https://store.steampowered.com/app/469600/Legion_TD_2__Multiplayer_Tower_Defense/

that just came out the other day and is supposed to be really good

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks - I'll look at those for sure. Not sure about multi-player aspect, I always just like killing some time doing them on my own schedule.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

slidebite posted:

The best one is Immortal Defense. It's also the weirdest one in the genre.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
There's always the Gemcraft series

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Pigbuster posted:

Basically we live in a clown world right now where you can tell everyone about a blatant scam and you'll have a couple guys come up and go "okay but how much does the scam cost".

If you've ever thought "I don't think I understand NFTs", chances are you understand them perfectly, because 99% of the crap spouted out about them is hot air to distract from how at their core they're little more than json files that contain a link to a webpage that has a picture on it.

Literally every single time I've seen someone (myself included) go through the "wait could someone slowly and patiently explain NFTs to me because this poo poo sounds like complete nonsense, they're not really just yadda yadda scam???" the immediate response is "you seem to understand them perfectly, actually". People seem to struggle because the premise sounds incomplete and when they ask "and then what" they expect there to be an answer and not crickets chirping.

It's like insane people saw those stories of people selling their weird looking Dorito chip on eBay for a thousand dollars and completely misunderstood and started digging around in their pockets and screaming "I've got some pocket lint! One of a kind! Somebody wants to buy this, right? Right??"

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

slidebite posted:

Defender's Quest is also good

I'm a bit meh on Riftbreaker. It's a slick game, but some things (Weather that damages your base, a sudden difficulty spike out of nowhere that is forcing me to restart and replan after 10 hours) made me dislike the game. Also others have encountered scripting/save game bugs, which makes it sound like the game should have had an Early Access period.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

slidebite posted:

Creeper World

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

ymgve posted:

Defender's Quest is also good

I'm a bit meh on Riftbreaker. It's a slick game, but some things (Weather that damages your base, a sudden difficulty spike out of nowhere that is forcing me to restart and replan after 10 hours) made me dislike the game. Also others have encountered scripting/save game bugs, which makes it sound like the game should have had an Early Access period.
I see there a demo for this - I'll give it a shot. Thank you.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what if i *want* to vaporize a rabbit with a .50 caliber musket ball though

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

*Ironium :ironicat:

And then half the time the game calls it Steel :effort:

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Factorio is the best tower defense game :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

what if i *want* to vaporize a rabbit with a .50 caliber musket ball though

No ones stopping you.

Just judging you. Forever.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Riftbreaker is good fun but I hate the time gated progression. Having to wait 5 minutes for the orbital scanner to build?? Why? I gathered the resources, just build it. And there's not much point in me exploring and grabbing more resources because I'm sitting on 10k each without much use for it.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Mad Wack posted:

Oh, this bodes well. I've only finished the prologue.

One question: Is there any point in doing cooking to reduce hunger when I can simply transform into a cat anywhere and kill the local wildlife instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2K4YjBrIW8&t=627s