Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
metabo bought Hitachi a couple years ago and I can't say if they changed the entry level 10" single bevel miter since then but both of my Hitachi 10" miter and table saws have been great for home use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm guessing that's either a 1903 or M1 carbine stock standing up on the left. How close am I?

carbine! good eye. Thats a really nice Inland stock I have, eventually I'll put it on my inland, which currently has a even nicer NPM stock on it.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Yeah, Hitachi miter saws had a legit good reputation before Metabo bought them. I would expect Metabo HPT to be fine, unless Metabo has intentionally downgraded the Hitachi products post-acquisition.

That said, I don't own any Metabo or Metabo HPT tools. But I've been thinking of getting the cheap 10" no-slide miter saw for misc utility cutting.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

ryanrs posted:

Yeah, Hitachi miter saws had a legit good reputation before Metabo bought them. I would expect Metabo HPT to be fine, unless Metabo has intentionally downgraded the Hitachi products post-acquisition.

That said, I don't own any Metabo or Metabo HPT tools. But I've been thinking of getting the cheap 10" no-slide miter saw for misc utility cutting.

My 12" compond sliding miter is Metabo HPT and I don't know what more I can ask of it. I replaced the blade today with an 80 tooth Diablo and cut 12" of 2" thick hard maple in 3 passes and ended up with an edge that doesn't need sanding. I bought it used, so I can't speak to how it came out of box, but it is level, true, and square to the limit of my measuring.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 10, 2021

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if it's literally the same tool

This was my initial thought too

kastein posted:

The harbor freight one is easier to warranty when it breaks in the middle of a time sensitive project.

so I think HF it is. I'm only trying to cut foam for a couple of cases and it's not time sensitive, but it's still easier to just drive to HF now that I have one pretty close.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Harbor Freight wound up having this drill press in stock so I picked it up: https://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/drills-drivers/drill-presses/10-in-12-speed-bench-drill-press-63471.html

It's definitely not super nice, and the pulley on the motor was extremely wobbly from the factory but is allright after some messing around. Biggest weakness in my minimal testing is the bottom base is a little flexy under pressure if I swing the little table out of the way to drill something big/use my vise. But for the money does what I wanted. Think I might bolt the column directly to my welding table instead of using the fiddly base.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Might be getting a Metabo HPT forward slider anyways. The Delta Cruzers are sold out basically everywhere until December at the earliest, save floor models that I wouldn't buy, and the Bosch version has worse reviews and costs $110 more

On the plus side, the 12" Metabo has the little guide laser that I like and is $157 cheaper than the 12" Delta would be

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
A buddy of mine sent me this, allegedly made by someone at his work. "It's as loud as a semi truck."

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I want to make one.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I have the 18v drill driver and the 1/2” compact impact... Which would be louder?

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
:honk:

Edit: Looks like any cordless tool will work, you just need to feed 18V to the 12V horn compressor. Now to find a suitable donor...

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Search ebay for M18 adapter. I made an M18 / Anderson Powerpole adapter, which is super handy and voids the warranty of every electronic device in a 6 foot radius (it has a 6 foot cord). I've used it to jump start* my van.

* by which I mean, "put a surface charge on the car battery, disconnect M18, start car". The M18 can't turn the starter.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Not necessarily tool or work related, but footwear and socks have been talked about here in the past.

I have a pair of Red Wing zip up motorcycle boots that I've been wearing in the winter and could use some warm socks as they don't have any real insulation.

I'm not looking for all day trudging through the snow warmth, but for an hour shoveling or walking around the city without getting all sweaty. I'll probably keep wearing crew socks with them to work and junk as it's an office job and will be heated.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
wool socks are absolutely where its at. completely stopped using cotton socks.

darn tough wool socks are amazing and come with a lifetime warranty. send them in when they start to fail and you get store credit to pick out a replacement.

edit: they're made in america too

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 16, 2021

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
On Amazon last year there was an amazing deal on packages of wool socks. It was some hunting brand called Drake, with 4 pairs for $18-$25 as a "Christmas" pack
This year I'm seeing 3 for $20

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

wool socks are absolutely where its at. completely stopped using cotton socks.

darn tough wool socks are amazing and come with a lifetime warranty. send them in when they start to fail and you get store credit to pick out a replacement.

edit: they're made in america too

The darn tough socks are worth every cent. It’s amazing what those alone did for my feet after a long day.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Merino wool socks pack at Costco is a staple for our geo department field work expeditions. The cost to quality ratio is through the roof and you can wear them year round.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Merino wool. Darn tough are pretty good.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I approve of this sock consensus. I wear darn tough and ask for more every christmas, and I backfill (because I wear wool socks every day, year round) with the costco socks. 10/10 wear wool socks.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Another vote for darn tough, or any merino wool socks. I live in Red Wing boots and darn tough sock every single day without issue. I usually do the light cushion in the warmer months, and the full cushion steel toe work socks in the winter when it's -20° and I'm running between the shop and the parking lot every 30 minutes.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I live in the SF Bay Area where it's 70 F and sunny every day of the year, and I like darn tough socks, too.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

PitViper posted:

Another vote for darn tough, or any merino wool socks. I live in Red Wing boots and darn tough sock every single day without issue. I usually do the light cushion in the warmer months, and the full cushion steel toe work socks in the winter when it's -20° and I'm running between the shop and the parking lot every 30 minutes.

I swear smart wool ski socks in the winter. Knee-high, baby!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Needed to replace an axle seal and bearing so I went ahead and got the HF 20 tonner. Reviews don't lie on how slow the pumping action is...but hey, it worked like a champ.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Darn Tough all the way, especially when you get them on clearance for half off.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Needed to replace an axle seal and bearing so I went ahead and got the HF 20 tonner. Reviews don't lie on how slow the pumping action is...but hey, it worked like a champ.

I've got the older orange welded 20t, and it's been great. It is slow, but that's fine for something putting 20 tons down. I really ought to replace the lovely cast arbor plates it came with, though. Pro tip: add wheels to the base so you can roll it around. Mine lives in a pretty inconvenient spot and just gets rolled out whenever I need to use it.

PitViper fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 18, 2021

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Unless it's bypassing fluid, almost any 20 ton with that length handle is going to be that slow just because it's essentially the pump arm length and master to slave cylinder area ratio that set the max pressure you can produce. If you want faster you'll need a fancy multiple master cylinder one that has different size masters to move fast till the piston hits the workpiece, or an air over hydraulic setup.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm going to use the excuse that my new apartment is on the second floor and my tools are in the basement as an excuse to buy a small set to keep upstairs with me for minor things.

What was that set of pliers that everyone liked? That acted like channellocks, but different?

Also gonna get a Wera multi-bit screwdriver, some needle nose pliers and another Milwaukee Fastback utility knife because the three I own is not enough.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Probably Knipex, but ProjectFarm's newest video is a review of a bunch of different slip joint pliers.

Knipex comes out on top but there are some good alternatives at lower price points.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Knipex was it!

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

The knipex pliers wrench and cobolt are both very nice.

(Get the cobolt with the notch.)

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
never knew they did a miniature set of their water pump pliers.

https://www.knipex.com/cobra-xs

knipex is a bit spendy for around the house tools though.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

stinch posted:

Nothings too expensive, I know the poor bastard that has to use those tools and he deserves them.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Any suggestions for Hog Ring Pliers?

My top thought is just get Knipex and not worry about it, but those seem awfully simple when other ones are more complicated/expensive. Something isn’t adding up.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

stinch posted:

I mean, I just moved to a new city I'm planning on staying here a year or two or three and if I like it, buying a house. Then my tools will Voltron into one set again. Buying for the future!

(is how I'm justifying my poor decisions)

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
After watching the PF video, I would have a hard time not recommending the Harbor Freight Vulcan's for the price/performance.

But you'll pry my German tools from my cold, callused hands.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Wonder what brand McMaster carriers.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#5307A42

Says they're German. May be worth it with my mom's discount. But then I'd have to pay for shipping.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
That screams Knipex to me. The casting is spot on.

https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-8701250-10-Inch-Cobra-Pliers/dp/B000X4J2H0/

the spyder fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 19, 2021

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Call them and ask? Mcmaster’s phone support is really good.

(mentioning it because legit good phone support is super rare these days)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Advent Horizon posted:

Any suggestions for Hog Ring Pliers?

My top thought is just get Knipex and not worry about it, but those seem awfully simple when other ones are more complicated/expensive. Something isn’t adding up.
The Matco items look like the style I'm used to: https://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/MS2PHRB/2-PIECE-HOG-RING-PLIERS-SET/, but the Knipex look nice and generally, their tools are pretty drat good.

Uthor posted:

Wonder what brand McMaster carriers.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#5307A42

Says they're German. May be worth it with my mom's discount. But then I'd have to pay for shipping.

ryanrs posted:

Call them and ask? Mcmaster’s phone support is really good.

(mentioning it because legit good phone support is super rare these days)
Maybe Uthor is avoiding their mom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Krakkles posted:

Maybe Uthor is avoiding their mom!

She's retired! Just gets the discount.

Yeah, I can email them and get a reply in an hour. I've gotten them to send me PDF manuals of parts in the past.