Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Applewhite posted:

Oh that. True, but the saucer, being a saucer, has many times the internal volume of an aircraft carrier just by itself.

Not as much as you think. There is a LOT less space in that starship by volume looking at the two, and doubling the size would actually bring it up to something comparable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not as much as you think. There is a LOT less space in that starship by volume looking at the two, and doubling the size would actually bring it up to something comparable.

I stand corrected.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

On the other hand the Nimitz is seven decks high discounting the tower. Also has a ship's company of 3500 with a an air wing of 2500.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MikeJF posted:

On the other hand the Nimitz is seven decks high discounting the tower. Also has a ship's company of 3500 with a an air wing of 2500.

Quarters on modern navy ships are pretty tight though, right? From what I remember Spock's quarter's were small compared to TNG, but still pretty roomy. Nice wide hallways too.
Memory Alpha says thew crew topped out at 400, so I guess that checks out.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

volume? i got your volumes right here pal

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Facebook Aunt posted:

Quarters on modern navy ships are pretty tight though, right? From what I remember Spock's quarter's were small compared to TNG, but still pretty roomy. Nice wide hallways too.

Enterprise also has a MUCH bigger engine section, and interstitial systems that eat chunks of space like thrusters, phasers, torpedo launchers, the Deflector Dish, etc.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I guess the question then is how big does the ship really need to be? The Enterprise is a "heavy cruiser" so we should be comparing it to something like a Ticonderoga class as opposed to Nimitz.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
A starship is 40% explosive consoles by volume. This was the sacrifice to achieve ftl travel in the Trek universe.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

Captain's quarters:

that said, the quarters in the new enterprise are a bit more generous: junior officer Lt Spock's living room:

Also I guess if every set of quarters gets a giant airlock door I can see why they need a bigger ship

But they added some primary colors so it's faithful to TOS! Plus they even used the same room number!

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 16, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

No bathrooms required

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I just poo poo on the floor and get engineering to beam it into space

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

No bathrooms required

I think that's what the door behind the bed was meant to be?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Where the heck is the bathroom on the enterprise?!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

MikeJF posted:

that said, the quarters in the new enterprise are a bit more generous: junior officer Lt Spock's room:

lmao. Jesus Christ.

Anyway: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/10/star-trek-exploring-new-worlds-exhibit-comes-to-las-skirball-center/

Check out the classic props! Marvel at how amazingly lazy the phaser got in Star Trek Into Darkness!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm now imagining TNG but it turns out all the bathrooms are only in one half of the ship, so if they separate the saucer you're hosed.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

John Murdoch posted:

I'm now imagining TNG but it turns out all the bathrooms are only in one half of the ship, so if they separate the saucer you're hosed.

Child reaching for dropped teddy bear scene, only it's me reaching longingly for a toilet as the evac team drags me away

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

infernal machines posted:

lmao. Jesus Christ.

Anyway: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/10/star-trek-exploring-new-worlds-exhibit-comes-to-las-skirball-center/

Check out the classic props! Marvel at how amazingly lazy the phaser got in Star Trek Into Darkness!

God the swivel emitter was so stupid. You can tell someone did that so they could flog a toy later.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

it's basically like an 18th century sailing ship where the captain gets a quarter galley and the other 200-600 men all use the same head

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

frakes already said that there is only one toilet on the ship.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

the starfleet uniform also functions as what the airforce called a "poopy suit"

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

the starfleet uniform also functions as what the airforce called a "poopy suit"

Every chair is comfy when you make your own padding

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

going back to the age of sail, you could also just crap on the deck in between the guns or in the cable tier

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

in one of the aubrey-maturin novels they're talking about one of the times they disguised themselves as a merchant ship and maturin says "how i remember it - turds everywhere, haha"

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I thought it was consensus they just beam the poo poo out of you.

*RED ALERT! RED ALERT!”
“Captain to the bridge! Romulan warbirds off the port bow!”
“Uh numba 1, I‘ve got the bubble guts and am in the middle of a numba 2.”
“…gently caress. Ok I got this.”
“Open hailing frequencies.”
“Open.”
“This is Commander Riker, Enterprise…gently caress you!”
“Worf fire all weapons!”

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

Applewhite posted:

Discovery also isn't canon unless they would have us believe that 1701 looked like it did in the pilot episode of Star Trek, then got a refit to look like it did in that episode of Discovery, then got ANOTHER refit to change it back to how it looked in TOS all in the space of like, three years.

Oh and also all that other stupid bullshit that makes no sense and is stupid.

Disco takes place in a new prime time-line that has been advanced by Daniels' hologram encyclopedia that he left on the NX-01

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Mulaney Power Move posted:

in one of the aubrey-maturin novels they're talking about one of the times they disguised themselves as a merchant ship and maturin says "how i remember it - turds everywhere, haha"

poor nutrition science of the era also substituted bones as calcium in a lot of diets
so there's a non-0 chance that all this decorative merchant turd was bleached white like dog poo poo in the 90's used to be

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

SNOT CORN posted:

Disco takes place in a new prime time-line that has been advanced by Daniels' hologram encyclopedia that he left on the NX-01

:hmmyes:

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

punishedkissinger posted:

Rutherford is real and he is my friend

He just wants to go swimming with girls!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I binge watched all of Lower Decks this weekend.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

You were correct to do this

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hellblazer187 posted:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Just watched the one where Harry Kim and the baby dies and then they replace them with alt universe versions and go "good enough"

Must be a real mindfuck for Harry

They could have saved 2 more people without loving up the rift they were using, but they just didn't because :shrug:.

I think if I were on Voyager and could basically duplicate two crew members scot-free, I'd want a second B'elanna for sure. The second one is a lot harder though, nobody else seems all that good at their jobs.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 18, 2021

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

I think if I were on Voyager and could basically duplicate two crew members scot-free, I'd want a second B'elanna for sure. The second one is a lot harder though, nobody else seems all that good at their jobs.

Tuvok. And if Doctor had his mobile emitter by then, grab a second one of those too.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Endless Trash posted:

You were correct to do this

I agree. I worked through the last two weekends and I was fried. This was a good way to veg.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

They could have saved 2 more people without loving up the rift they were using, but they just didn't because :shrug:.

They sent over a few shuttles instead.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

PostNouveau posted:

Just watched the one where Harry Kim and the baby dies and then they replace them with alt universe versions and go "good enough"

Must be a real mindfuck for Harry

Double Tuvix.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Just watched the DS9 where they permanently alter Kurn's DNA, face and remove his memory and then just tell him he's a different person, apparently without even telling him. Unless I just missed the telling him part.

Edit, kurn not morn lol

pacerhimself fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 18, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pacerhimself posted:

Just watched the DS9 where they permanently alter Kurn's DNA, face and remove his memory and then just tell him he's a different person, apparently without even telling him. Unless I just missed the telling him part.

Edit, kurn not morn lol

It was a humane way to "kill" him.

And gets made completely redundant like two episodes later.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
They eliminated Kurn from existing while also denying him the dignity of an honorable death.

It’s like the worst of all possible choices to make for the guy. Good job worf!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It's destroying the entirety of this person right and moral?