Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

Nosfereefer posted:

fair warning, the steam version of chrono trigger manages to be sightly worse than the original. translations all messed up (im looking at you frog) and there are some game breaking bugs. also the game is like almost a gig, wth lol

also theres anime

drat that's hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

Nosfereefer posted:

fair warning, the steam version of chrono trigger manages to be sightly worse than the original. translations all messed up (im looking at you frog) and there are some game breaking bugs. also the game is like almost a gig, wth lol

also theres anime

They included the anime from the PS1 remake and managed to somehow make it worse. What in the hell

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
at seemingly random points anime cutscenes will play, then immediatly afterwards the same scene plays out in game

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
at least theres an autosave function, so the crash to desktop didnt set me back.

4/10, should just have dug up the emulator

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
i dont understand how you can mess up the port of a 20+ year old video game

like cmon now

Nosfereefer

its like when they released heroes of might and magic 3 on steam, and it was just the base game. and they didn't even bother releasing the expansion packs ever

Nosfereefer

one year from now, most new steam releases will be non-ported DOS games, and the error messages will be "git gud lol"

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

In other annoying stuff in video games, there's an Ace Combat clone called Project Wingman that is pretty cool...

Well, it was pretty cool but between the last time I played and now the game changed the cursor for menus. Now on the plane select screen the cursor disappears so there's no good way to select planes and weapons. You can kinda guess at where the cursor is because occasionally it'll highlight something but I wasn't able to pick a plane or continue and no amount of fiddling with the options could fix it. :(

I'm also not a big fan of the Destiny style mouse cursor for everything in menus that lots of games are doing now. It's annoying in Wingman and also in Deathloop. It isn't a great system for all games.

Nosfereefer

re: chrono trigger; when i was about 9 or 10 i thought the robots seemed like over the top villains. now that im older i kinda understand their arguments, with the all kill all humans and whatnot

Nosfereefer

i guess this is what old people meant about youthful idealism

barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

minecraft BYOBville. need more byobs to come build homes in this area :toot:

Twenty Four

:nice:

Heather Papps

hello friend

deep rock galactic is really good, or maybe more likely extremely attuned to my interests. it's fun to play with my brother and strangers but also weirdly meditative to play alone with bosco. just exploring cool rng caves and mining all the minerals.

maybe (absolutely) my brain is broken but i fully hate playing video games with strangers after tf2 and chivalry and whatnot. frequently people are fine and it's fun but those odd times someone flips out on me for loving up messes with me way more than it should. i very much dislike the idea of ruining someones fun time, to the point where playing a game with a team stresses me out more than is fun.

HOWEVER as i said to my brother after playing with 2 strangers for a mission last night and spamming rock and stone i think that deep rock galactic by being a squad based mining slash spider fighting game might have cut out a huge chunk of the playerbase that would be lovely.

or maybe i just have always utilized videogames as a digital friend to replace human interaction and as such playing with people online fries my feelings.

also thank you how wonderful for ensuring me that i can play disco elysium gonna do that soon

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

30+ hours into Returnal. I'm ready to be done. Get to the third biome boss, die halfway through the fight. Spend 25+ minutes getting back there, die again. Cool game design, thanks

Jolo

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

30+ hours into Returnal. I'm ready to be done. Get to the third biome boss, die halfway through the fight. Spend 25+ minutes getting back there, die again. Cool game design, thanks

Oof, that's rough. It's definitely a tough game. I ended up making better progress once I started skipping a lot of side rooms and heading straight for the boss. First few times you fight the boss you'll probably die just because you don't know what they can do. If you haven't already, I'd recommend watching other people do that fight just so you know what's coming now that you've seen it yourself. Good luck! I also started limiting myself to a couple of runs a day because I would get really annoyed about dying after spending 20+ minutes. Did the same thing with Spelunky 2 because it is so hard and takes a long time to get far only to die very suddenly to a tiny mistake.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
I bought the Contra collection on the eShop and it's poggers

Finger Prince

I was playing cribbage on my phone and clicked on an ad for a neat looking puzzle game called two dots. Normally I'm not an ad clicker at all, but I'm glad I did. Firstly, the game is nothing like what the ad suggests, lol. It's a match the coloured dots game sort of like bejewelled puzzle mode, but way more chill and with cool music. Pretty relaxing. But the real surprise was these completely unrelated find the hidden object mini games that honestly might as well be the main game. They're these huge Where's Waldo spreads with super fun art that you can interact with that kind of reminds me of Khanstant's (I think it's Khanstant) goblins, except orbs. I took screenshots. It's really good. Very chill.

Also what I really like is the only ads are in the form of videos you can choose to watch if you want to get a hint or a boost. Nothing intrusive at all.

Edit - Ohh I see what the game is about now. Microtransaction hell. Gets kinda naggy about buying stuff too. Ah well, the Where's Waldo puzzles are worth checking out at least, just for the artwork.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 9, 2021

Nosfereefer

ive just finished chrono trigger, and my final thoughs:
- the fact that the item 'chrono trigger' is introduced as a completely pointless plot device is actually p funny
- there's some dumb extra dungeons in the remake that i lost interest in
- the lavos battle is a lot harder than i remember. like a huge difficulty spike from anything else. i actually ended up farming mega elixirs just to win
- the final anime left out both robo and magus, and lucca's part raised more questions than it answered
- all in all the game holds up quite good for being 25+ years old, even if the remake is slightly worse than at release

e; ran new game+ and i realized
- the opening, wrt the time travel and all the plot - it doesn't have an anime. a bunch of other stuff has an anime in this version, but not the most important and probably most interesting scene in anime form. what gives? why have there been so many poor decisions?

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 14, 2021

Heather Papps

hello friend

metroid dread is pretty good. i hate those robots. i think it's on purpose to make the omega beam blasting that much more satisfying, and it works, but god drat every time i saw one of those shimmery doors i would shudder inwardly.

i am not sure why, maybe because my childhood re-occurring nightmare was being chased as my legs slowly stopped working but i loving hate chase sections in games. in dread for the first couple you are woefully underpowered so the emmis are very scary and then as you regain functionality they become the exact same amount of scary, but easier to manage, i guess.

metroid rules. this is a hot take i'm aware i'll take my probe/ban

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

sb hermit

Nosfereefer posted:

ive just finished chrono trigger, and my final thoughs:
- the fact that the item 'chrono trigger' is introduced as a completely pointless plot device is actually p funny
- there's some dumb extra dungeons in the remake that i lost interest in
- the lavos battle is a lot harder than i remember. like a huge difficulty spike from anything else. i actually ended up farming mega elixirs just to win
- the final anime left out both robo and magus, and lucca's part raised more questions than it answered
- all in all the game holds up quite good for being 25+ years old, even if the remake is slightly worse than at release

e; ran new game+ and i realized
- the opening, wrt the time travel and all the plot - it doesn't have an anime. a bunch of other stuff has an anime in this version, but not the most important and probably most interesting scene in anime form. what gives? why have there been so many poor decisions?

I played the SNES chrono trigger and lavos was so infuriating that it was satisfying to finally win.

It's pretty funny to see average players try to beat ff6, chrono trigger, ff7, etc, that had insane hard bosses and the active battle system because you see how they quickly move through their own fine tuned organization system and the roles they gave to their characters and how tactics differ between each individual player because, when you're trying to queue up healing and damage commands within a strict time limit, you need to let your lizard brain take over.

If I had a broken controller while playing that game, I would have been so frustrated.

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I played Chrono Cross first and I love that game although I've never actually beaten the final boss cause I'm like stuck at a weird save point

I haven't actually played much of Chrono trigger and now I kinda wanna spent a Saturday baked and gaming in my PJs

Finger Prince

Pokemon Go kinda sucks now that I'm not next door to two gyms and 4 pokestops. Log in, screen is devoid if all but one or two 'mons, no raids in sight. Oh well, I guess the whole point is not playing it from your living room. It's just that when I'm out and about, I'm not thinking about playing Pokémon, or my hands are full.

barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Finger Prince posted:

Pokemon Go kinda sucks now that I'm not next door to two gyms and 4 pokestops. Log in, screen is devoid if all but one or two 'mons, no raids in sight. Oh well, I guess the whole point is not playing it from your living room. It's just that when I'm out and about, I'm not thinking about playing Pokémon, or my hands are full.

same ever since i moved i can’t keep up my rivalry with wolfmom19 and tnuggs007 for gym supremacy

Prof. Crocodile

Achtane posted:

I haven't actually played much of Chrono trigger and now I kinda wanna spent a Saturday baked and gaming in my PJs

this is the way

Nosfereefer

Prof. Crocodile posted:

this is the way

can confirm

Jolo

My secret gamer shame, that is about to be way less secret, is that I have only played the first couple of hours of Chrono trigger even though I liked em a lot.

Same deal with Final Fantasy VI except I always end up quitting at the point where your party gets extremely separated.

sb hermit

Jolo posted:

My secret gamer shame, that is about to be way less secret, is that I have only played the first couple of hours of Chrono trigger even though I liked em a lot.

Same deal with Final Fantasy VI except I always end up quitting at the point where your party gets extremely separated.

For me, some games are notorious for being very long (like 40+ or 80+ hours long) which makes it difficult to really commit to finishing them. Especially if I like the gameplay, because I don't want to get hooked.

I was a couple dozen hours into eternal sonata until my ps3 crapped out and I really don't want to get back into it. One day, I'm going to finish the original dot hack tetrology but those games are quite long and I only got maybe a quarter into the first one before my (aforementioned) ps3 crapped out and I lost my saves.

sb hermit

Maybe I should finish the original quake and quake 2. I've only played the first episode of quake 1 and the first hour or so of quake 2. And maybe the original doom 1 and 2 as well.

more falafel please

forums poster

i still haven't finished quake 3. every time i finish a level there's just another one waiting. sometimes it's even the same level again but with different enemies? maybe i'm doing the boss wrong or something

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

kalel

I like Toriyama's animations for chrono trigger :colbert:

Nosfereefer

kalel posted:

I like Toriyama's animations for chrono trigger :colbert:

nothing wrong w/ them, the cutscenes are pretty arbitrarily placed tho

Nosfereefer

also the intro is p spoilerish

kalel

Nosfereefer posted:

nothing wrong w/ them, the cutscenes are pretty arbitrarily placed tho

your posts are arbitrarily placed!!!!!

kalel

sorry about that... sometimes I lash out when I feel threatened

Nosfereefer

kalel posted:

sorry about that... sometimes I lash out when I feel threatened

i mean, you're not wrong

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Jolo posted:

My secret gamer shame is that I like video games and think they are good. I have to keep this on the down-low because, as everyone knows, all video games have always been poo poo except for the ones I like.

French Accent

metroid dread is surprising me with how good it is! quite possibly my game of the year.

kalel

I tried frost punk this morning and an hour in some of my citizens started to die and I got really intense anxiety and turned off the game. I need some hot chocolate and a hug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

kalel posted:

I tried frost punk this morning and an hour in some of my citizens started to die and I got really intense anxiety and turned off the game. I need some hot chocolate and a hug

Yeah I can't handle those types of games. Sends my anxiety through the roof.

:sympathy:

Thanks to Dumb Sex-Parrot for the Christmas citrusy sig!

more falafel please posted:

just turn that impostor syndrome into "I'm Poster" syndrome