Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yep. 1200cc of Milwaukee pig iron are about half as dangerous as a 600cc Iwata pencil sharpener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, one of my employees has a GSX250R and he was expressing some FUD over my DR650 and I’m just going to have to trade bikes with him for a couple hours so he gets the point.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Oh ok FB marketplace has way better stuff than the normal bike classifieds around here. Are there any major pitfalls with a dorsoduro 750?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/169072971673193/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm pretty sure FB Marketplace has killed basically everything. The ease of use combined with an inbuilt messenger and notification system is just soooo much better than craigslist or anything else. The worst part of Craigslist was trying to communicate with boomers who only check their email at 9AM on Sunday and attempting to get poo poo done at anything above a glacial pace. "I WANT TO GIVE YOU MONEY, PLEASE loving RESPOND"

Every time I look at craigslist for bikes its just stuff that is crossposted from FB Marketplace.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I tried to sell a bicycle on Facebook, and I was not impressed. I sold it on Craigslist instead. I tried pinkbike but maybe too late because someone from Craigslist bought it the next day.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Kijiji still reigns supreme up here in Canada. I don't know how Facebook marketplace is supposed to work if you aren't on Facebook.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I deleted my Facebook account over a year ago and have been completely Facebook-corporate-free and it feels amazing, but I've been considering making a new account just for Marketplace.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

FBS posted:

I deleted my Facebook account over a year ago and have been completely Facebook-corporate-free and it feels amazing, but I've been considering making a new account just for Marketplace.
I have never used Facebook and refuse to on principle, and block every Facebook domain I know of at DNS level on my home network, but I've been thinking of doing the same, just creating a dedicated account and use it for nothing else. Maybe even only do it through a VPN and on a dedicated VM. Craigslist is still around but slim pickings.

I did buy my last bike on OfferUp, that worked out OK. I hope Facebook gets broken up here soon but lol they have so much money and power it will be a while if it ever happens.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah I have Facebook blocked on my computers, and trying to sell my bicycle was the first time I had logged in in years. It's funny because as soon as I blocked it, within 30 minutes I got an email from Facebook saying "It looks like you're having trouble logging in!" I wonder how much of their "1 billion monthly-active users" is largely people who just have accounts whose online activity they can link back via trackers. I would just delete the account but sometimes you need. For example, with Turo you must log in via a Facebook account. At least that's how it was when I signed up. Not sure if they've moved away from that, given Facebook's reputation has gone down the drain in the last 4 years.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Toe Rag posted:

I tried to sell a bicycle on Facebook, and I was not impressed. I sold it on Craigslist instead. I tried pinkbike but maybe too late because someone from Craigslist bought it the next day.

Bay Area still seems to have a stronger CL presence to most of the rest of the country relatively. I would use that or offerup that someone else mentioned here tbh.

Also I believe Marketplace uses Messenger which my understanding is able to be independent of Facebook proper so you don’t necessarily need a full FB profile to use Marketplace/Messenger

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Do I remember people saying they don't like the Africa Twin? A local shop really wants to sell some of their 2020's and while I'm leaning hard towards the Vstrom, I am keeping an open mind.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Geekboy posted:

Do I remember people saying they don't like the Africa Twin? A local shop really wants to sell some of their 2020's and while I'm leaning hard towards the Vstrom, I am keeping an open mind.

The AT is a fine bike as a blank slate, but imo it really needs stuff like an adjustable screen, better seat, and whatever other farkles turn your fancy. The engine is good, it gets about fine.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
AT is a pretty fantastic bike actually. A more reliable Multistrada.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Geekboy posted:

Definitely ride one, it just depends if you're looking for a big adventure bike and all the things it comes with (including additional weight) or something middle sized and simpler.

Edit: AT only 30 to 50lb heavier

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

The biggest thing is that it's still more than I want to spend, but thank you for the info goons. It's probably more bike than I want too, but I don't want to rule out a 1000cc or so until I spend some time on them.

Which I probably won't bother to do until I have at least another $500 in the bank.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

It's definitely cooler than a vstrom

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

It's definitely cooler than a vstrom

It’s me. The weirdo who think Vstroms are super pretty.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Does traction control make the CB650R worth getting over a cheaper CB650F? I could get a CB650F with full exhaust and ECU flash for the same price as a CB650R.

Russian Bear posted:

The red with the bronze ish pipes underneath look awesome on that bike. But maybe give it a test ride, it's reportedly boring if dependable in classic Honda fashion.

I've never heard it described as boring?

[edit]
why isn't it called Vstorm? Did the factory make a typo and they just ran with it?

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 19, 2021

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

The AT is a fine bike as a blank slate, but imo it really needs stuff like an adjustable screen, better seat, and whatever other farkles turn your fancy. The engine is good, it gets about fine.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

AT is a pretty fantastic bike actually. A more reliable Multistrada.

The AT is terminally boring. Even discounted you could probably get a VStrom for less and have an as-good-if-not-better bike

CSB's partner has one, he can provide some first-hand feedback (IIRC he thinks it's kinda poo poo which is what you may remember seeing)

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

Does traction control make the CB650R worth getting over a cheaper CB650F? I could get a CB650F with full exhaust and ECU flash for the same price as a CB650R.

[edit]
why isn't it called Vstorm? Did the factory make a typo and they just ran with it?

Just curious are you looking at used CB650F? Or are they still being sold in your country?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

[edit]

This is kind of abstract, what's traction control 'worth' to you? To me it's completely worthless, to some people it's essential.

The cb650 is super boring because it doesn't have the immediate thrust and lightness of a twin (like an SV) nor does it have high revving power like a normal four. It has a really slow revving, wheezy engine built down to a power figure, but it still pays the weight and bulk penalty of a four cylinder. The suspension and general chassis tune are also decidedly not on the sporty side.

Wikipedia says:
The name V-Strom combines V, referring to the bike's V engine configuration, with the German word strom, meaning stream or current.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Russian Bear posted:

Just curious are you looking at used CB650F? Or are they still being sold in your country?

Both would be secondhand

Slavvy posted:

This is kind of abstract, what's traction control 'worth' to you? To me it's completely worthless, to some people it's essential.

I used to ride about 20 years ago, but that was only an '84 250cc 2 stroke, this would be my first proper bike.

Slavvy posted:

The cb650 is super boring because it doesn't have the immediate thrust and lightness of a twin (like an SV) nor does it have high revving power like a normal four. It has a really slow revving, wheezy engine built down to a power figure, but it still pays the weight and bulk penalty of a four cylinder. The suspension and general chassis tune are also decidedly not on the sporty side.

I have zero no claims bonus, (never claimed, it expired) so as much fun as a R6 or something would be, my insurance would be quite high. Another bike I was considering was the MT-07.

Slavvy posted:

Wikipedia says:
The name V-Strom combines V, referring to the bike's V engine configuration, with the German word strom, meaning stream or current.
ah, thanks

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I came back to riding after 10 years and got an MT-07 and I've been very happy with it now almost two years in.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who's not already confident with clutch and throttle inputs because it's a poor platform to learn that on, but that goes for any of the 650 class.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

Both would be secondhand

The litany of small upgrades all over, but mostly importantly, the better looks of the CB650R would point me personally towards the R. But that's your personal deal.

If getting riding again and insurance are a factor, why not a smaller bike? Even from the same Honda line up the CB300R could be a hoot. If you don't plan to do too much motorway riding, a small, light bike could be very enjoyable, cheaper and most importantly a likely better companion for improving your skills.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

Both would be secondhand

I used to ride about 20 years ago, but that was only an '84 250cc 2 stroke, this would be my first proper bike.

I have zero no claims bonus, (never claimed, it expired) so as much fun as a R6 or something would be, my insurance would be quite high. Another bike I was considering was the MT-07.

ah, thanks

In your position I would go for an mt07 or sv650 and never look back. The Honda looks like 'more' bike on paper but the sum of the parts is a lot lesser than the other two. If you really hate yourself you could get a ninja 650 I guess.

Another factor to consider: second hand bikes often have light drop damage. Honda bodywork is notoriously finicky, complicated, filled with dozens of pointless separate parts and all of them cost a million dollars.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

:actually: It's the Czech word for "tree"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The v tree

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Very few of those around, this is my fave:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was waiting for someone to make that joke

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Ak Gara posted:

Both would be secondhand

ah, thanks

I'm in a similar situation as you, returning to bikes after a bit of a layoff and looking around the 650cc ish market. So far I've got it down to the cb650r, mt07, sv650, trident 660 and cfmoto 700clx. I'm leaning towards the sv650 or cfmoto at the moment but will need to ride them back to back to really pick.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bought it and it arrived this afternoon:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Is that a live wire?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Steakandchips posted:

Bought it and it arrived this afternoon:

holy buckets, congrats!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
That's cool, congrats. Nice color too.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks guys, yes, it's the Harley Livewire in orange! I think it's the nicest colour they have (black, yellow, orange (and white, for the LW branded LW)).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

Thanks guys, yes, it's the Harley Livewire in orange! I think it's the nicest colour they have (black, yellow, orange (and white, for the LW branded LW)).

Is it the Harley livewire in obvious orange?

I kid, nice bike, post some awkward detail pics that you'd never see in the press.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks! Aye, will do!

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Whoa, congrats, looks great!

Welcome to the EV-biek krew. There are [half a] dozen of us!

EDIT: Go ride it to Tierra del Fuego

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Heh, thanks!

Tierra del Fuego would be a Long Way Down!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

That rules. Please post a lot of pics so and ride reports so I can live vicariously.