Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

silence_kit posted:

A major purpose of this thread is for posters to provide product recommendations. So it is very normal thing in this thread to tell people how to spend their money.

lmao don’t legitimize any of that “the only possible reason somebody could need that much storage on a device for is piracy. How shameful. Just get an Apple Music subscription and an Apple TV with Netflix” horseshit here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

lmao don’t legitimize any of that “the only possible reason somebody could need that much storage on a device for is piracy. How shameful. Just get an Apple Music subscription and an Apple TV with Netflix” horseshit here

You would haves loved the bittorrent forums that were here in 2004. You missed the boat.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

akadajet posted:

You would haves loved the bittorrent forums that were here in 2004. You missed the boat.

lol jesus christ

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

silence_kit posted:

A major purpose of this thread is for posters to provide product recommendations. So it is very normal thing in this thread to tell other people how to spend their money.

The gatekeepers in this thread are just mad I’m right.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ok Comboomer posted:

IDK the advice doesn't really seem that much out of line with typical Apple product recommendation advice for people who don't fit the profile of a typical Apple product user :shrug:

you see it as a caricature, but IMO it is just normal Apple product advice. You just don't agree with it is all

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

silence_kit posted:

IDK the advice doesn't really seem that much out of line with typical Apple product recommendation advice for people who don't fit the profile of a typical Apple product user :shrug:

you see it as a caricature, but IMO it is just normal Apple product advice. You just don't agree with it is all

lol what

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

You seem confused. Maybe macrumors forum would be more your speed.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

akadajet posted:

You seem confused. Maybe macrumors forum would be more your speed.

nobody in this thread likes you dude

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Back to monitor chat... anyone here using one of those large ultrawides (~49" I think is the largest) and very happy with it? Wouldn't be used for gaming much, or at all to be optimized for that. I am highly likely to be buying any new MBP and a monitor like this to replace my array of LG 4Ks.

Thanks for any input.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Back to monitor chat... anyone here using one of those large ultrawides (~49" I think is the largest) and very happy with it? Wouldn't be used for gaming much, or at all to be optimized for that. I am highly likely to be buying any new MBP and a monitor like this to replace my array of LG 4Ks.

Thanks for any input.

Ultrawides are great for work. macOS really benefits from high dpi though so multiple 4K monitors might be the way to go.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah, a nice widescreen or 4K monitor is deffo in my future, as I often have to remotely check on other people's machines as a troubleshooter and if they have two 27" monitors that I'm trying to view on a loving 13" retina screen, I just shout gently caress MY LIFE and do a lot of frenzied trackpad scrolling.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
What a poo poo idea having a notch on the display would be, taking away part of the menu bar.

It's so lovely, I bet the new MBP displays will have that notch.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Lol plenty of room for folks who like being told told their local storage optioms and those who dont all good here in the mac thread fellas:cheers:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I don't see it. They had the opportunities to put notches on the iPads Pro, Air and Mini, and in all cases chose to maintain bezel and screen margin uniformity, even in cases like the iPad Mini which you'd think would be the product most likely for them to want to try and elicit some "ooh, thin bezels" reactions by cheating a little with, and the iPad Pro, where they had the most stuff to cram into the camera array.

The most Apple Design I think they'd get with new Macs Book is rounding corners, but I think if they were going to do that there'd have been some telltale signs of adaptive Apple Menu positioning or something spotted in the Monterey betas by now.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I can see why they didn’t do the notch on any iPads. Those devices are designed to work in portrait or landscape equally, so the notch would be jarring for someone who uses their iPad in landscape primarily. They’d feel like they’re using it wrong and that’s a bad user experience, even for Apple who sometimes doesn’t care about that kind of thing.

A laptop screen is only ever used in landscape, so a notch makes more sense there. I can see them doing it, especially if they decide to bring FaceID to laptops

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i don't know if they'll do a notch or not, i have no real opinion on it. but i think if they do they'll probably have it so that you can keep it blacked out in the row if you aren't doing a full screen video or game or something

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Notch is a red herring to generate engagement around the event

I hope

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Notch in the menu bar is fine. It’s not like that area of the screen is frequently used on macs. I’d wager it’s mostly empty.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
“new MacBook Notch is DIRECT ATTACK on independent shops and Right-to-Repair”
-Rossman, probably

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So it’s not even going to be a full 14 inch screen???

Thanks Obama

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ok Comboomer posted:

-Rossman, probably

lmao, pretty accurate

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

mediaphage posted:

i don't know if they'll do a notch or not, i have no real opinion on it. but i think if they do they'll probably have it so that you can keep it blacked out in the row if you aren't doing a full screen video or game or something

^^^

I think a notch makes sense for the Macbook, and the middle of the menubar is Free Real Estate much of the time. Not saying I _want_ one, but it fits with Apple's trends.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

supposed leak of a notched screen

Escape Goat posted:

^^^

I think a notch makes sense for the Macbook, and the middle of the menubar is Free Real Estate much of the time. Not saying I _want_ one, but it fits with Apple's trends.

i will say i'd rather a notch than bezels, not that i can afford one either way

(side note escape goat was a fun and cute game)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there any LCD tech where the panel works normally but then you can just stop lighting up the notched area and the camera works through it?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mediaphage posted:

i will say i'd rather a notch than bezels, not that i can afford one either way

(side note escape goat was a fun and cute game)

gently caress yeah, if I can get edge-to-edge display then I say show me the notch and take my money.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Is there any LCD tech where the panel works normally but then you can just stop lighting up the notched area and the camera works through it?

yes under display cameras are a thing but they haven't been great so far

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Isn't the alternative to the notch just... more bezel? Tbh, I'm pretty compelled by the idea of a 16:10 screen with a few extra pixels on top around the webcam. On top of that, I *think* I've heard rumors that the aesthetic redesign is that there's going to be a lot of black inside the clamshell, so... maybe it'll just highlight how good the blacks on the screen are going to be?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I'm gonna be honest, they had me at "more pixels".

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anton Chigurh posted:

What a poo poo idea having a notch on the display would be, taking away part of the menu bar.

It's so lovely, I bet the new MBP displays will have that notch.

The notch allows them to add more screen, not take it away. Hope this helps.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Ok Comboomer posted:

-Rossman, probably

:lol:

Add a few expletives and I think he'd say exactly that.

I'm all for Right-to-Repair and I think Louis Rossman is fighting the good fight, but he sure has a real Brooklyn-level potty mouth.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

FCKGW posted:

:goonsay:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Fedule posted:

I don't see it. They had the opportunities to put notches on the iPads Pro, Air and Mini, and in all cases chose to maintain bezel and screen margin uniformity, even in cases like the iPad Mini which you'd think would be the product most likely for them to want to try and elicit some "ooh, thin bezels" reactions by cheating a little with, and the iPad Pro, where they had the most stuff to cram into the camera array.

I think it makes more sense on a laptop, where there’s no reason to put your hands on the edges of the screen. With a tablet, you need a place to hold it, and you need more to grab onto than you do with a smaller, lighter phone that you can clamp on the edge or cradle like a lil’ baby squirrel.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

FCKGW posted:

A notch doesn't fit well with the nearly 40 year old constant in Mac UI design, a menu bar at the top of the screen. Either you chop a notch out of the menu bar, which has some unpleasant failure cases, or you add a "row" of status icons or whatever above the menu bar, which is worse as the original intent of putting the menu bar as the thing on the top edge of the display was to take advantage of Fitt's Law.

I mean I wouldn't put it past Apple's current UI/UX team to just go ahead and to it, but it's not as easy a win as it was on phones.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’d like a MacBook without a front camera tbh

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Could be something else, but...
https://twitter.com/_saagarjha/status/1449316362212438019

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

My vain hope is that a notched MBP would have extra pixels at the top that are always black except in a full-screen app that chooses to use those pixels, so we’d get a 16x10 display most of the time and a 16x10.01 the rest. This would be a pointless waste of pixels but would allow Apple to flex a “our monitors are borderless!” marketing beat, which I can imagine them doing solely to push a paradigm.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

I dunno, maybe you can turn the pixels next to the notch off in settings and with the mini LED screen it would just look like a regular top bezel?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

BobHoward posted:

A notch doesn't fit well with the nearly 40 year old constant in Mac UI design, a menu bar at the top of the screen. Either you chop a notch out of the menu bar, which has some unpleasant failure cases, or you add a "row" of status icons or whatever above the menu bar, which is worse as the original intent of putting the menu bar as the thing on the top edge of the display was to take advantage of Fitt's Law.

I mean I wouldn't put it past Apple's current UI/UX team to just go ahead and to it, but it's not as easy a win as it was on phones.

They could put information in the notch row without letting your mouse reach into it. Not sure that’s a great solution, but it still makes it easy to target menu items.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

What information would go there? All of the widgets in the menu bar have dropdowns associated with them, like the wifi indicator letting you switch networks and the battery indicator letting you switch energy profiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

the size of the notch is going to handle a lot of the decisions. if it’s small and in the middle not many menu areas are going to hit it imo

even then they’ll probably black it out save for some full-screen scenarios and you’ll either be able to configure it on all the time or someone will release a tool to do that the day after they ship (MacScreenMax_v0.15)

secret mac comedy option: the dock is now a radial scroll centred on the notch and the menu bar heads to the bottom of the screen like in ios 15