Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's $9 million worth of some crypto currency, not $9 million straight up. I'd turn it down too because there's no way to exchange it for actual money.

They could absolutely cash that out, it's not that difficult. I don't know where this notion that it's absolutely impossible to trade crypto for dollars came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's $9 million worth of some crypto currency, not $9 million straight up. I'd turn it down too because there's no way to exchange it for actual money.

I mean, even if you only got 10% cashing it out it might still be worthwhile. Or maybe buy 9 million dollars worth of weed? I would contend that 9 million in funny money is probably worth more than an embarrassing pixel avatar.

Quasi-related, I find it deeply embarrassing when people have to include smoking in their avatar, as if that is a central part to their identity.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

repiv posted:

They could absolutely cash that out, it's not that difficult. I don't know where this notion that it's absolutely impossible to trade crypto for dollars came from.
Because stable exchanges with adequate reserves are somewhat novel, so more often than not they just keep swapping their climate-loving florins.

And, of course, cashing out 9.5 mil is going to attract a lot of attention.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Quasi-related, I find it deeply embarrassing when people have to include smoking in their avatar

:mad:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you've ever used tinder or grindr you know to filter out everyone who thinks "smokes weed" is a personality

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Quasi-related, I find it deeply embarrassing when people have to include smoking in their avatar, as if that is a central part to their identity.

It's someone representing themself with an NFT; you already know they're a deepy uninteresting person.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I should clarify; I think your avatar is amazing. I meant people who use a depiction of themselves or a stylized depiction of themselves. The biggest offender I can think of here is the TERF guy who smokes a pipe. Glinner?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Mr.Radar posted:

While we're on NFTs:

https://twitter.com/richerd/status/1449187165875826693

Imagine turning down $9.5 million because you decided a lovely pixel art sprite is now your ~online identity~.

My vote is for a completely fake marketing stunt to convince future bagholders that NFTs are worth holding onto.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A key part is that these people have the worst taste in everything.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I should clarify; I think your avatar is amazing. I meant people who use a depiction of themselves or a stylized depiction of themselves. The biggest offender I can think of here is the TERF guy who smokes a pipe. Glinner?
That's the one, altho even the pipe has left him.

All he has now is carbonara and semen-encusted jeans

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Tenebrais posted:

It's someone representing themself with an NFT; you already know they're a deepy uninteresting person.

Oh, they're interesting all right, in the same sense that the Goiânia accident incident is interesting.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

repiv posted:

Who do you think has 9 million in cash right now and wants that much crypto? Yeah sure you can slowly divest and cash out from the 1k you put in 10 years ago and do pretty good. But if even just a small percentage of cryptocoin millionaires wanted their money now the entire thing would fall apart.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Ok I still don't get this NFT stuff. Is there a specific reason they all seem to be lovely pixel art that looks like you churn out a thousand an hour?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

kazil posted:

Ok I still don't get this NFT stuff. Is there a specific reason they all seem to be lovely pixel art that looks like you churn out a thousand an hour?

Money laundering and ponzi schemes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Fighting Trousers posted:

You shouldn't. She's a woo grifter and pretty ghoulish in her own right.

Yeah, people acting like she's some innocent just because she's more openly crazy than some of the other ghouls are completely wrong. She'd be incredibly dangerous in the same way

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sell MSpaint portrait. Buy 9 drugs for 9 million of imaginary internet money. Sell them at an increased prize. Rise rapidly to the top of the criminal underworld. Fly too close to the sun. Go our it in a blaze of glory.

The world is yours.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Coolness Averted posted:

Who do you think has 9 million in cash right now and wants that much crypto? Yeah sure you can slowly divest and cash out from the 1k you put in 10 years ago and do pretty good. But if even just a small percentage of cryptocoin millionaires wanted their money now the entire thing would fall apart.

There's certainly not enough demand for every crypto holder to cash out simultaneously, but we're talking about just that one guy specifically cashing out his pixel jpeg. Even if he takes the lazy route of going via exchanges, the big ones all allow withdrawals of $50-100k every single day so with a bit of persistence he could liquidate the crypto in a few months.

So yeah he's a dumbass for not taking the money and running (assuming the offer was genuine and he's not just pumping the value as someone else mentioned)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

repiv posted:

lmao

every single time someone has tried to cashout a significant amount of cryptocurrency (think millions) it has actively crashed the marketplace they're using and craters the price, usually well before the "investment" is sold

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

FreudianSlippers posted:

Sell MSpaint portrait. Buy 9 drugs for 9 million of imaginary internet money. Sell them at an increased prize. Rise rapidly to the top of the criminal underworld. Fly too close to the sun. Go our it in a blaze of glory.

The world is yours.

https://gfycat.com/gratefulathleticgalapagostortoise

Oh my god, I just realized every CryptoBro thinks of themself as this character in the same way 2000s mall ninjas thought of themselves as Neo

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

kazil posted:

As I understand it, there's two factors here.

One is that the lovely pixel art or badly-drawn furries are designed as collectable series, so it's got the same sort of market as the beanie baby fad in the 90's going for it. People get theirs and can judge and compare their rarity and try to get a collection of similar ones or whatever. I'm not sure where the line is drawn between excited collectors and people just in it to profit from the bubble; I'm not sure the people actually buying them know either.

The other is that NFT's being a proof of ownership is entirely theoretical and purely down to everyone agreeing that an NFT does actually prove that. If they were trading actually good and desirable art they'd face a lot more arguments over whether they really own anything, since other people might actually want that art. With lovely pixel art the only people that even care are the ones already invested in the NFT idea.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

repiv posted:

… if he takes the lazy route of going via exchanges, the big ones all allow withdrawals of $50-100k every single day so with a bit of persistence he could liquidate the crypto in a few months.

The currency of the future!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

kazil posted:

From what I can tell the ones that look like that are all part of "Collections". They tend to have a few different components for the different aspects of the drawing, and then they make 1,000 of them. 1,000 seems to be the most common number. So maybe there are 50 pixel guys smoking out of 1000, and 50 pixel guys with 3D glasses, but only 10 pixel guys with both. This allows the individual user to find one they like and they can feel as if there is actual rarity to the item. This seems to be the meta behind the popular NFT "Collections" so if you have an NFT that doesn't look similar people assume that it is not a collectible, or does not have a team behind it doing something to drive the collectability, or whatever. Kind of like even if you don't play magic cards or ccgs you can tell at a glance "Oh that is a CCG, not a hockey card, or a playing card" and the lovely art style is the signifier in this case.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

repiv posted:

There's certainly not enough demand for every crypto holder to cash out simultaneously, but we're talking about just that one guy specifically cashing out his pixel jpeg. Even if he takes the lazy route of going via exchanges, the big ones all allow withdrawals of $50-100k every single day so with a bit of persistence he could liquidate the crypto in a few months.

So yeah he's a dumbass for not taking the money and running (assuming the offer was genuine and he's not just pumping the value as someone else mentioned)

how much fake rear end coin do you own

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Isn't the point of soylent that you can only eat it and get all the nutrients you need? I think it's things like rent or mortgages that you can't pay in crypto is what makes it not a replacement for real money instead of just being a ponzi scheme.

In theory yes but I think I might actually rather die than try.

But yes it also applies to rent and poo poo too.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

how much fake rear end coin do you own

I don't own any crypto lol, all I'm getting at is that if I were in the position of that NFT guy standing to receive $9M worth of crypto I wouldn't turn it down on the basis of it being too hard to turn into real money

repiv has a new favorite as of 19:39 on Oct 16, 2021

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Soylent provides all your daily levels of heavy metals and toxic algae

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

kazil posted:

You do actually get it. It's just that stupid and your brain is having trouble parsing how something that stupid could be what all the hype is about.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lol

https://twitter.com/CoinersTakingLs/status/1448896602890932229

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/CoinersTakingLs/status/1448904511339130884

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://twitter.com/steinkobbe/status/1449360767619411978?s=20

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Imagine walking into someone's house and seeing this.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Coolness Averted posted:

Trying to cash out all at once and singlehandedly destroying the NFT economy sounds worth it all on its own tbh

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

mmmm I dont think thats s valid english thread.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

and, in a Petersonian sense,

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Improbable Lobster posted:

lmao

every single time someone has tried to cashout a significant amount of cryptocurrency (think millions) it has actively crashed the marketplace they're using and craters the price, usually well before the "investment" is sold

This is assuming their account isn't locked for spurious reasons or the exchange's connection to the traditional banking system and therefore actual money somehow breaks or is shut down, simply to prevent the liquidity leaving the system and ALSO that their exchange of choice actually has that much liquidity.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I like how some of the lazy lions appear to have that anime sex face

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Zero_Grade posted:

Still trying to figure out if this is better or worse than the furry dog dick coffee table that another crypto bro had.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Faustian Bargain posted:

I like how some of the lazy lions appear to have that anime sex face

I like how the lion logo on some of the clothes is just stolen from the UK Independence Party

rare trait: racist lion

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Zil posted:

Still trying to figure out if this is better or worse than the furry dog dick coffee table that another crypto bro had.

If you could use the table as a table, then that's better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Zero_Grade posted:

internet tough guy : I would damage it because.

1) they already have the nft, so they already have it. infact destroying the physical would make more value somewhow.

2) They insured it right? surely a insurance company took a look and hahahahahahahhahah