Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
did you see japan got 6 button genesis controllers instead, why are they making 3 buttons here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

lol

Also I just found out in Japan they did a Famicom one for their Switch online:

Apparently the microphone actually works, too!

oh drat. I want this

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

elf help book posted:

did you see japan got 6 button genesis controllers instead, why are they making 3 buttons here

Yeah that's kinda pissing me off. People are already selling them for $100 on ebay which sucks

Sub-Actuality posted:

oh drat. I want this

I don't know if there's some way you can change your Nintendo online account to be Japanese to order the controllers the same way you can do it with buying a Japanese game from the e shop. But luckily people are selling them pretty much at retail on eBay. Just ordered the Famicom controllers for $68 shipped. Gonna use them on my real AV Famicom with the 8bitdo receiver. The only down side is its the only Nintendo online controller you can't charge over USB C. You have to attach it to the Switch to charge which is kinda lame if you plan on using it on a real NES like me.

Also the n64 controllers are already out of stock so I guess I have to follow Wario 64 and have my phone make alert noises every 3 minutes for the next month.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

We already did!

I know it's not what you really meant but I just had to give it a shout out because I bought it a few days ago and I can't believe how good it is. They did a really good job making the graphics nicer too and the controls are perfect.

Also I hope Nintendo doesn't restrict the number of n64 controllers you can buy with Switch Online. The limit for snes was 4 which was perfect but I think the limit for nes was 2. Hoping n64 controllers get the 4 maximum like the snes had.

It's still worth it, there's a program called Wiiu USB helper which is basically like a free shop on your PC that talks to your modded Wiiu. It would be a good idea to start doing it now before Nintendo shuts down their servers. It's a little tricky to set up and you need to use a Windows machine (no Mac support) but it's a great tool.

The interesting thing about the Wiiu is that it's completely capable of playing GameCube games because of the vWii (Virtual Wii) mode, it just simply doesn't have a disc drive that is capable of accepting the smaller GameCube discs. That's why you have to load them from isos.

If you do go that route, you will need two external hard drives. One for Wiiu games and one for Wii and GameCube games. What I find most convenient is having a USB cable going from the back of the WiiU to the front, and then I just plug in whichever I want to play; Wiiu or GC/Wii.

I know it's not as ideal as just putting in a GC game and playing but if you want the cheapest and easiest way to play GC games over HDMI, it's with a modded Wiiu.

Let me know if you need any help. Also when you boot into your Wiiu with the Wii/GC drive there's a nag telling you to format your drive. You simply click cancel but there's always a chance you or a friend or your kids might click "OK" so there's a pc program called UStealth that you run on your gc/wii hdd, the nag will go away.

One other piece of advice, if you "install" the GC game to the Wiiu home screen, you can play the GC game on the tablet with the controllers which is amazing. If you use the vWii iso method, you can see the game on the tablet but you need to use another controller to play the game off the tablet. The only downside to the "install" method is that the Wiiu home screen cannot accept more than 300 titles, so if you have a ton of Wiiu and GC games, you could potentially run out of room. With the hard drive method there's no limit.

Let me know if you need any more help with any of this.

thanks but currently im just content with just putting isos on an sd card and playing them thru nintendont on the vwii

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

mycophobia posted:

thanks but currently im just content with just putting isos on an sd card and playing them thru nintendont on the vwii

Yep that works too, but the SD card method is also how you install gc games to the main menu of the Wiiu (not vwii) and with that method you can actually control the gc games with the tablet. If you'd rather play on the TV this is all a moot point though.

Enjoy!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

I never got the point of them since the console used cartridges and that was supposed to be one of the benefits (not needing a memory card)? What was it used for other than ghost data in Mario Kart?

some games like Doom 64 couldnt save without them and if you didnt have one you had to use a password to resume where you left off. eventually games stopped doing this entirely and the memory card became kind of useless lol

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Both Goemon games needed a memory pak for whatever reason, they're the only reason I had one

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
https://youtu.be/C-t9y0Hcp5U

Think about this song often

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Will people finally realize that the n64 is the worse console ever made ????

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Ive been saying it for a while and im not even trolling, unlike you

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ArfJason posted:

Ive been saying it for a while and im not even trolling, unlike you

imagine the horror of being a n64 kid instead of a playstation kid

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Heath posted:

Was humming this in my car yesterday thinking of games I want on switch. Such a cool game that doesn’t get much attention. The only physical N64 games I’ve kept are the two Goemon games and all the AKI wrestlers.

https://youtu.be/Y0tNFSO_3dQ

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Heath posted:

Same but from goemons great adventure

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ore wa...GORGEOUS...impacto...DASH! DASH! DASH!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i was an n64 kid and it owned a single new game came out every 6 or 9 months and we liked it that way

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 16, 2021

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

i was both thankfully. the worst console ever is the wii u

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

worst console ever is the ps4 i thinnk

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the only bad consoles are the ones i dont own yet.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Fungah! posted:

ps3

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Fungah! posted:

PS3 at least had some unique games

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

That Little Demon posted:

PS3 at least had some unique games

i guess the same could be said about the n64 but the ps3 at least picked up at the end of its life and carried momentum into the ps4

the n64's library has a real disparity between itself and the psx

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

i guess the same could be said about the n64 but the ps3 at least picked up at the end of its life and carried momentum into the ps4

the n64's library has a real disparity between itself and the psx

The N64 sucks rear end compared to PSX (and hell, saturn), but there are some absolute masterpieces on N64 that make it worthwhile, that could not be said about PS4 lol

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

The N64 sucks rear end compared to PSX (and hell, saturn), but there are some absolute masterpieces on N64 that make it worthwhile, that could not be said about PS4 lol

i guess i'm coming at it from "if you had to choose one in a given generation, which one do you go for?" in which case you'd definitely do a ps4 over an xbone

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

the worst console ever has to be one of atari’s many hosed up pieces of poo poo. imagine being a jaguar/lynx kid

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
n64 didnt have very many good games but the ones it did have were some of the best ever made (vigilante 8, 1080 snowboarding, glover)

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

HolePisser1982 posted:

the worst console ever has to be one of atari’s many hosed up pieces of poo poo. imagine being a jaguar/lynx kid

I would say maybe the CD-I, or the 3DO as well

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
(chameleon twist, hydro thunder, south park fps)

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The PSX had some of possibly the worst graphics I’ve ever seen games have. You also can’t play Mario games on it.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

HolePisser1982 posted:

I would say maybe the CD-I, or the 3DO as well

those arent real consoles

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the worst console has to be the 3DO because i cant think of any good 3DO games and the 3DO cost 700 dollars lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

NienNunb posted:

The PSX had some of possibly the worst graphics I’ve ever seen games have. You also can’t play Mario games on it.

you are out of your loving mind lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the worst console has to be the 3DO because i cant think of any good 3DO games and the 3DO cost 700 dollars lol

you mean unique games for 3DO? then yes, agreed

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
the crunchiness/jitteriness of the psx always looked way worse to me than the blurriness/muddiness of the n64. the early fully polygonal days were rough no matter what though, didnt really come into their own until the gc/ps2/xbo era

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Where's the lie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007