Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

stev posted:

That's the last item I got and it took me loving ages. Nailing every element of the sequence in one go is a real challenge.

I played through entirely on the switch with joycons on the side, and my biggest struggle for that and some other long-run speedboost items was simply holding the left stick down while moving for long periods of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

once I understood that I can just hold the button to charge missiles and have full movement it became a lot easier. and the enemies are either facing you so you can just shoot straight ahead at them or have pauses between moves so you can stand and aim at them

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I did it. I'm not sure why i did, but i did.

Would not recommend this sequence break, becuase it's annoying as gently caress. But i guess you can technically get the Space Jump and a missile pack early. If you don't mind spending half an hour on extremenly dificult bomb jumping

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Raxivace posted:

Tbh I probably would have traded the entire counter mechanic for a dedicated missile button. Not that countering itself was bad per se, but I never found it particularly fun either in this or Samus Returns tbh.

I extremely disagree with this notion, if I'm being honest. The ability for Samus to have a minimal, albeit major, way to get stuff out of her face is a huge shake up to combat so she's not just constantly eating poo poo from an annoying fucker floating in her blindspot of aiming. Looking right at you AM2R Metroids, you absolute shitters.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Some of the items definitely take some skill to get to. I'm sure I didn't do everything in the optimal way, but I will say that it took genuine effort and a lot of repeating tasks to get some of the items.

One of the last items I got required building a speedboost in the minimal amount of area to boost, running with the booster charge through a door, slide through a blaster block, point down and blast through some more blaster blocks while falling, set off the speedboost midair, hit a sloped ledge running, lock down the boost, slide through another gap, drop down and boost midair again into a ramp, immediately hit down, drop down a ledge, and then boost again. I think it's a missile + tank.

It was the most ridiculous set of things to do, but I eventually got it.

That path also unlocks the sequence break for early gravity suit!

I have a lot of shinespark experience and the one you're describing probably took me the least time of all the nontrivial booster challenges.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I played through entirely on the switch with joycons on the side, and my biggest struggle for that and some other long-run speedboost items was simply holding the left stick down while moving for long periods of time.

You don't have to hold it! Just click once at the start of your run.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

bladeworksmaster posted:

I extremely disagree with this notion, if I'm being honest. The ability for Samus to have a minimal, albeit major, way to get stuff out of her face is a huge shake up to combat so she's not just constantly eating poo poo from an annoying fucker floating in her blindspot of aiming. Looking right at you AM2R Metroids, you absolute shitters.

The AM2R Metroids were just badly designed enemies imo, that type of free floating analogue movement just did not work with Samus's moveset and only being able to damage and recoil them from very particular angles

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

multijoe posted:

The AM2R Metroids were just badly designed enemies imo, that type of free floating analogue movement just did not work with Samus's moveset and only being able to damage and recoil them from very particular angles

Not to mention, while I'm shouting about them, the fact they got a free parry of whatever missiles you manage to get at their blind spot, that loving sucked.

bladeworksmaster fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 16, 2021

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Really the big problem with the EMMI sections is that they seem to present themselves as a game where stealth and slow, careful movement is the intended way to avoid detection, but in actual practice the correct way to get through EMMI rooms is to just book it as fast as you can, give zero shits about detection, and just flash step and slide around until it loses track of you and you can exit. It's meant to be a high-stakes tense situation where one false misstep will spell your doom, but they realized they couldn't actually have that high stakes in a video game like this, so there's generous autosaving. All in all it turns the EMMI rooms from a source of tension and (title drop) dread into a miniature car chase section that you know you can just retry a few seconds if you ever gently caress it up.

An additional issue with the EMMI stuff that I think stems from what you've described here, is that for you to be able to "get away" effectively there needs to be lots of open space and multiple paths, which lends to these EMMI spaces in the middle of the map that feel like effectively big open maze spaces.

I've found the map in this game to be less easily memorable and I suspect these generic EMMI spaces that have to dominate the map contribute to that.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Checked out a video strat for the skip i did above and lol, i could've done that a lot easier. But no, dumb rear end me didn't think to just diagonally jump upwards into the shaft, i had to bomb-jump up all the way from the very bottom of the shaft in the ~8 seconds it takes for the bomb blocks to come back

At least i got REAL good at combined cross-bomb and normal bomb jumps simultaneously for speed

I guess that means you can technically do that skip without the double jump, but i don't remember if you need it to get there in the first place.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Spent 30 minutes on Z-57 (Cataris Flappy Bird boss) wondering how long the drat boss fight was supposed to go on for until someone pointed out that I should really interrupt the healing phase instead of just dodging. :downs:

good game

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So are ending rewards based on speed, and chozo archives for % completion?

And if I want them all, do I need to do a sub 4 had, sub 4 normal, and then 100% normal, all on the same file?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Oxyclean posted:

So are ending rewards based on speed, and chozo archives for % completion?

And if I want them all, do I need to do a sub 4 had, sub 4 normal, and then 100% normal, all on the same file?

Yes.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

HenryEx posted:

Checked out a video strat for the skip i did above and lol, i could've done that a lot easier. But no, dumb rear end me didn't think to just diagonally jump upwards into the shaft, i had to bomb-jump up all the way from the very bottom of the shaft in the ~8 seconds it takes for the bomb blocks to come back

At least i got REAL good at combined cross-bomb and normal bomb jumps simultaneously for speed

I guess that means you can technically do that skip without the double jump, but i don't remember if you need it to get there in the first place.

Video or article link? I’m keeping a list of the ones I know so far. I’ll put them together in a post later. Just picked up the gravity suit early, along with morph ball bombs, grapple beam, and super missile.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AfricanBootyShine posted:

lol, you might as well turn in your antifa av at this point dude

not all people have full use of both of their hands

Fortunately that is not what I was saying at all. Accessibility controls are a wonderful thing and should be included wherever possible and it is a failing of Dread (and every game that lacks them) not to have good accessibility features. However the complaints about Metroid Dread inevitably boil down to "The controls are too confusing and bad" more often than they do "This game should have accessibility features to make it easier for disabled gamers to play."

It's pretty lovely to frame it as "Well you just hate people without the full use of both their hands, you fake leftist" when a good number of the people discussing this have made it clear their complaint is not based off a personal disability.

You genuinely are trying to say Metroid Dread requires more reflexes than Dark Souls does which is a statement I think only makes sense if you've played so much Dark Souls you've lost the idea of what the baseline difficulty of the game is. You can built to make it *easier* but you're still going to have good enough timing to dodge/parry/block attacks successfully which have a tighter window than Metroid Dread does. Like Metroid Dread's counter window is a mile long and the only things it does that require very specific precision are a handful of shinespark puzzles, most of which are more about understanding the poorly explained technique than anything else.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 16, 2021

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

bio347 posted:

IMO it's just really weird that free-aim is L+left stick when the right stick is right there and doesn't even have anything mapped to it.

Try pressing a face button while using the right stick.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

bio347 posted:

IMO it's just really weird that free-aim is L+left stick when the right stick is right there and doesn't even have anything mapped to it. Missiles being a toggle would've been nice, too, particularly considering that the beam is basically worthless as a damage option.

It's even weirder when you consider that Shadow Complex had excellent right-stick aiming in a Metroidvania in 2009.

Raxivace posted:

Tbh I probably would have traded the entire counter mechanic for a dedicated missile button. Not that countering itself was bad per se, but I never found it particularly fun either in this or Samus Returns tbh.

:yeah:

stev posted:

Fire is Y so you need your right thumb free for that.

Put fire on ZR, change the weapon usage to be on the D-pad or a selection toggle on L and R.

It's not that hard. The only reason the controls have to be so hosed right now is the insistence on holding a button for missiles or grapple beam.

Bleck posted:

Just... don't put ranged weapon-related controls on the face buttons, then? :confused:

This is not some insurmountable hurdle, FPSes have been doing it for ages.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 16, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Roadie posted:

Put fire on ZR, change the weapon usage to be on the D-pad or a selection toggle on L and R.

This is something that they have done before and it comes up extremely often as a flaw. Like one of the biggest complaints about Super Metroid is that you have to swap to missiles or grappling. That is specifically why they have those controls in this game because people didn't like it when they didn't.

Roadie posted:

This is not some insurmountable hurdle, FPSes have been doing it for ages.

Metroid is primarily a 2D platformer. FPSes have little to no platforming and people usually complain when they do.

The reason FPSes have their controls on the shoulder buttons is because they are dedicated to two stick controls which means your thumbs are usually occupied. They don't use the face buttons not because the face buttons are verboten but because it is the easier method of control for the game design. 2D games trend towards the face button a lot more because they are not defaulting to using the right analog stick for camera control and thus can design their control scheme around it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 16, 2021

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Man, I'm having such trouble with the Golden Chozo, what chance do I have against the last boss. Even though I've fought them so much, he still does so much damage you can barely make a mistake.

e: Speaking of tough controls, it's almost impossible sometimes for me to do a flash shift while aiming, charging a missile, jumping and moving. I just can't seem to get my brain to do a shift when I have so many other things to do at the same time.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 16, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think it's mainly a problem in Super because it's a) the select button which sucks, and b) selects between all your weapons including two types of missiles, and things you would never use in an intense fight like the grappling beam.

i think you could get away with a beam/missile toggle button but i don't have a huge problem with the game controls as is. especially once i figured out you could kind of hipfire with the missiles charged

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bleck posted:

finally the claw grip returns

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think it's mainly a problem in Super because it's a) the select button which sucks, and b) selects between all your weapons including two types of missiles, and things you would never use in an intense fight like the grappling beam.

i think you could get away with a beam/missile toggle button but i don't have a huge problem with the game controls as is. especially once i figured out you could kind of hipfire with the missiles charged

I mean I 100% agree that "Missile/Beam toggle" over hold should be an option, but I think that is true of every single game where you need to hold something down regularly. (I also wish you could just set controls to auto-charge instead of having to hold the button down the entire time but this is a problem I've had with charge shot design going back to Mega Man.)

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

You're a fake-rear end leftist because you're talking over disabled people. Pop into /r/disabledgamers sometime and see what kind of rigs people setup to get around poorly designed controls/controllers. Switch has consistently been the worst of the current gen of consoles.

I have a progressive movement disorder that's been eating away at my reflexes over the past few years. and at some point i'm not going to be able to play games like dread, which sucks, but is something I've grown to accept. I had to give up on seikiro because I couldn't get parry timing down consistently. And I'd chalk it up to the disorder because I was able to plat revengeance back in 2014. TBH what I'd really want are options like Celeste, where if there is a specific mechanic that you're unable to consistently get down, you can tune it to be easier. And if a tiny indie studio can pull that poo poo off, a first party Nintendo game can. Esp when Nintendo sells this image of being a console for everyone (even though they're the loving worst when it comes to accessibility).

What irks me about dread is that it doesn't even do the bare minimum of letting you remap controls. Nintendo's 'fix' is to do at the system level which isn't one.

FWIW, I'm about to finish this game, all that's left are the last series of boss battles. I enjoyed it but it reflects badly on Nintendo as a company.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You're a fake-rear end leftist because you're talking over disabled people. Pop into /r/disabledgamers sometime and see what kind of rigs people setup to get around poorly designed controls/controllers. Switch has consistently been the worst of the current gen of consoles.

I have a progressive movement disorder that's been eating away at my reflexes over the past few years. and at some point i'm not going to be able to play games like dread, which sucks, but is something I've grown to accept. I had to give up on seikiro because I couldn't get parry timing down consistently. And I'd chalk it up to the disorder because I was able to plat revengeance back in 2014. TBH what I'd really want are options like Celeste, where if there is a specific mechanic that you're unable to consistently get down, you can tune it to be easier. And if a tiny indie studio can pull that poo poo off, a first party Nintendo game can. Esp when Nintendo sells this image of being a console for everyone (even though they're the loving worst when it comes to accessibility).

What irks me about dread is that it doesn't even do the bare minimum of letting you remap controls. Nintendo's 'fix' is to do at the system level which isn't one.

FWIW, I'm about to finish this game, all that's left are the last series of boss battles. I enjoyed it but it reflects really badly on Nintendo as a company imo.

I think it's genuinely lovely of you to use that as a cudgel because you've shifted the goalposts from what you originally said.

"Really enjoying the game in spite of puzzling developer choices. The controls layout is hella awkward, and remembering in the middle of a boss battle how to properly fire the storm missiles. Holding down three buttons while aiming and dodging and also remembering to release X first, NOT R, because then you'll just shoot your beam instead!"

You followed it up by discussing the poor accessibility options like lack of colorblind, which is 100% agreed with, but your original complaint was that it was too confusing to remember the controls, not that you were unable to use them.

If you don't find the controls comfortable then that is awful and I am super sorry for you. You are absolutely correct that Nintendo is lovely about accessibility on almost every level. But going into personal attacks because I was responding to what you wrote is entirely unnecessary.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 16, 2021

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I don't have to announce that I'm disabled every time I post. I'm only sorry that you bought into git gud.

FWIW, if bad gamers and journalists are having problems with a game, disabled people are probably going to be having the same issues as well. I'm not accusing you of this specifically, but people siding with multibillion dollar corporations and the most toxic aspects of gaming over people who aren't as hardcore or that are disabled is pretty poo poo. And tbh I've found that on this forum, Nintendo stans are some of the worst at this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't have to announce that I'm disabled every time I post. I'm only sorry that you bought into git gud.

FWIW, if bad gamers and journalists are having problems with a game, disabled people are probably going to be having the same issues as well. I'm not accusing you of this specifically, but people siding with multibillion dollar corporations and the most toxic aspects of gaming over people who aren't as hardcore or that are disabled is pretty poo poo. And tbh I've found that on this forum, Nintendo stans are some of the worst at this.

I didn't want you to have to and I'm sorry if it came across that way. I was probably also prepared to read what you said in the wrong manner because of other things I've read but that still isn't fair to you and I apologize.

And I absolutely agree with that! I think accessibility in games is a 100% important thing. I think all games should include as many features as they can reliably get working and is a genuine failure of any game developer not to have those features. It pisses me off that Nintendo is so terrible about this stuff. I think everyone should be able to enjoy every game if at all remotely reasonably possible and it is the developer's job to assure that happens.

I absolutely wasn't trying to say "Git Gud" either but I can see how it came across that way and that's my own fault. I apologize as well.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The last boss is a real pain, huh

In the first phase what gets me is his fill-the-room- attack if you are too far, and he follows it with the three hit combo, which corners me quite often. Pretty hard to escape. I guess when his aura shifts it's just a matter of waiting out the melee counter.

Made it to the second phase a few times, but the bullet storm attack gets me every time. I'm basically trying to circle around him just to avoid the damage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TeaJay posted:

In the first phase what gets me is his fill-the-room- attack if you are too far, and he follows it with the three hit combo, which corners me quite often. Pretty hard to escape. I guess when his aura shifts it's just a matter of waiting out the melee counter.

Made it to the second phase a few times, but the bullet storm attack gets me every time. I'm basically trying to circle around him just to avoid the damage.

I'm sure this sounds dumb but you're remembering to Flash Step right? Not that it makes it Easy Mode but I've heard a lot of people forgetting to do that in combat.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

TeaJay posted:

Try circling as close as possible to him in the center. It cuts down your travel time dramatically since he only moves at one speed with his gun.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

TeaJay posted:

For the multi-hit combo, try jumping above him or over him, instead of just trying to back away with flash shift. If you're still in front of him, he'll keep doing the combo and try to corner you, but if you get above or behind him, he'll stop and move onto a different attack instead. As for that second phase, you can more easily dodge the rapid fire beam attack if you just circle around him fairly closely. If you need the boost, doing a flash shift can help cover horizontal distance above or below him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TeaJay posted:

Circling around him with the strew attack works yeah.

Also you can counter the full room attack which makes the fight go really quick

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

I do every boss fight with storm missiles that I can, because trying to simultaneously dodge and aim and shoot missiles is incredibly awkward.

It feels real cheesy sometimes, but it works! https://gfycat.com/selfishcolorlessjunco

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Has anyone seen the ending screens in full resolution anywhere online? Best I've seen is 720x1280 or a 1080p video with some guy's watermark

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

The beam does a ton of damage and is the best way to attack a lot of bosses, if you can mash fast enough.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Does Samus’ suit feed her and take care of waste?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

TeaJay posted:

Hit him with wave beams whenever it goes into the interactive cutscene. It deals way more damage than missiles in my experience and dramatically cuts that phase short

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Good Sphere posted:

:chloe:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Good Sphere posted:

Yes but both functions are part of the same process.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Only if you have the still suit upgrade

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ikanreed posted:

Only if you have the still suit upgrade

Jump without rhythm to avoid the x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the tips. On my recent runs I tend to take damage by simply failing space jump, not jumping again at the right time and falling down. Phase 2 generally seems to have a lack of openings on the boss.