Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Enough of this dumb regen argument

Yessir! But can we negotiate some sort of common battleground here? Can we collectively find out what "blended braking" means to people ITT? It's not a car spec term, it seems like there's different ideas about what it actually means which is fair enough, but there shouldn't be different ideas about what it can mean. That creates an uninformed discussion whether it's good or not, which we cannot have on the internet.

Ola fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ola posted:

But can we negotiate some sort of common battleground here?

No, we can't. If we were able to do that, we could have a reasoned discussion and there wouldn't be a civil war in Ethiopia.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ola posted:

If we're having this dumb discussion again, why do you think there's more regen available in one pedal and not the other? There's obviously a fixed amount of regen available with any given method. Can the battery take 70 kW at any point? Obviously not. But what if you press the other pedal? Still the same battery, it might not be able to take 70 kW no matter which pedal you do this or that with.

Second, do you seriously think all the world's car manufacturers haven't thought of what you're saying?

Third, blended braking does not mean that there's a magic extra battery that can keep the energy when you let off at 100%. Blended braking for driving feeling, which the well hung bird made a crazy spectacular scene of the last time, must obviously mean faking regen when the battery is full and there's nowhere to put the power, by applying friction brakes instead of rolling. If he didn't mean that, he just meant normal EVs that regen when there's room to regen and roll freely when there's no room to regen. There is no other possible thing that thing means, but there is AMPLE room for ignorance.

Last, if by blended braking you simply meant "there's more regen when you press the brake pedal", well then you're just normal ignorant as I suspected all along.

You’re sure a condescending rear end in a top hat an awful lot Considering how frequently you’re completely wrong.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ola posted:

Yessir! But can we negotiate some sort of common battleground here? Can we collectively find out what "blended braking" means to people ITT? It's not a car spec term, it seems like there's different ideas about what it actually means which is fair enough, but there shouldn't be different ideas about what it can mean. That creates an uninformed discussion whether it's good or not, which we cannot have on the internet.

A lot of your problems in this thread aren’t caused by other people being stupid they’re caused by you being a non native English speaker and literally misunderstanding what people are saying.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

knox_harrington posted:

lol gently caress your dumb strawman arguments.
That post of his is nothing but strawmen. It's utter gibberish.

quote:

it's just a bad design decision that Tesla alone have made and bazingas breathlessly claim is better.

^^^

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 16, 2021

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

A lot of your problems in this thread aren’t caused by other people being stupid they’re caused by you being a non native English speaker and literally misunderstanding what people are saying.

Which pedalski are your kilowattski hidden in, monsieur?

PS Tesla has no unique regen mode, if they've made some made bad design decision it's shared by most other car makers

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

The way I want my car to work is as follows:

- When I press the go pedal, it goes faster

- When I press the break pedal, it goes slower

- When I press neither it continues at its current speed and slows down at a rate naturally determined by neither positive nor negative force being applied

What’s so hard about that and why can’t/won’t Tesla do it again?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ola posted:

Which pedalski are your kilowattski hidden in, monsieur?

PS Tesla has no unique regen mode, if they've made some made bad design decision it's shared by most other car makers

False.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ruggan posted:

The way I want my car to work is as follows:

- When I press the go pedal, it goes faster

- When I press the break pedal, it goes slower

- When I press neither it continues at its current speed and slows down at a rate naturally determined by neither positive nor negative force being applied

What’s so hard about that and why can’t/won’t Tesla do it again?

If you literally mean free rolling, Tesla hasn't done it before so it doesn't make sense to want them to do it again. Some other EV makers have choices between no / low regen, but you really want some regen.

Do ICE cars slow down at a rate naturally determined by neither positive nor negative force being applied? Or do they slow down at a rate you're used to?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

A lot of the rest of your problems are caused by you being insufferably pedantic and posting like you're trying to score points in a junior high debate club.

The remainder of your problems are you just being plain wrong.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

You're stubbornly wrong and willfully ignorant, I won't reply to your posts anymore

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Thank god

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Enough of this dumb regen argument

Please listen next time.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Before I type a bunch more poo poo: Can anyone recommend a front plate bracket for an ID.4 that doesn't involve drilling holes in my nice new bumper?

FilthyImp posted:

Keep in mind that the fitment issues were also poo poo like "this door is visibly off the mark" and not "um actually this body line is interrupted by..."

The doors on the Model X look really cool, but the handle placement makes it EXTREMELY OBVIOUS when poo poo is misaligned.

lostleaf posted:

Does anyone here have the ID4? The look has grown on me after seeing it in real life. Looking to replace a CRV since the resale value for it is pretty insane. What's your experience with it?

I've had one, a Pro S, for almost 2 months now. I like it. My wife drives it to work every day (a couple miles), and we use it whenever we go somewhere together, since the other "car" is a little 2-door Ranger with no A/C.

It's fast, fast enough to make her go "oof" when I punch it for a short onramp, but it doesn't blow my socks off. It's comfortable; one big reason we picked it was that it had electric seats (with 2 memory settings) for both driver and passenger. The back seat has plenty of leg room, although anyone much taller than 6' might find the rear ceiling a little too low on a long ride.

I'm a grumpy old man when it comes to infotainment; I get annoyed when I have to sit and wait for my car to boot up before I can go somewhere, and it can take perhaps 30 seconds for Android Auto to get connected and be ready for me to input my destination. The workaround I've found is to start navigation on my phone before I get in the car, then just start driving. Once it connects, it'll automatically switch the navigation over to the car screen and I'm good to go.

I finally tried EA charging last weekend. It took a couple of tries to make the app and the charger agree on what needs to be happening, but it sure charged fast once we got going. I hope VW pushes an OTA that allows app-less charging soon, but given that ID.4 owners get 3 free years of EA charging, and VW owns EA, they kinda have an incentive to keep some barriers on the process...

The turning radius really is great. I believe it's an improvement of nearly 6 feet over our old Camry, and it makes city driving a hell of a lot more pleasant. I've had to adjust my parallel parking technique a little bit as a result of the tighter turns.

Ola posted:

I think the 360 camera is included in the must-have tech package, that makes it even more practical in tighter spots. I think they might be a bit limited by chip supply now. If you get a used one from the launch you won't get 360 camera but it's not a must anyway.

Note that, as far as I can tell, US cars do not get the 360 camera at any trim level, at least not on cars that were arriving 2 months ago. Ola's in Europe and they have different packages there, so check what's available for you.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You can probably get a plate holder that screws into the tow hook

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m getting started on my EV shopping, and my usual method is having a spreadsheet to keep track of models with the various things like prices, finance rates, features, etc. Got a short list of a good half dozen cars already!

Anyone know of good public sheet templates for this to share or other useful tools for keeping the car shopping thing organized? Always looking for ideas. Not really EV specific but I’d have to add columns for charging type, battery capacity etc now that I think about it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

priznat posted:

I’m getting started on my EV shopping, and my usual method is having a spreadsheet to keep track of models with the various things like prices, finance rates, features, etc. Got a short list of a good half dozen cars already!

Anyone know of good public sheet templates for this to share or other useful tools for keeping the car shopping thing organized? Always looking for ideas. Not really EV specific but I’d have to add columns for charging type, battery capacity etc now that I think about it.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but Puget Sound Energy displays a nice little db of EV cars with a lot of the most useful information

https://ev.pse.com/vehicles

It's not exhaustive but I used it to start shopping and it let me immediately filter down to the kinds of cars that I was interested in based on chassis, price, and range. They also provide lease and finance rates as well as estimates of which financial incentives the car is currently eligible for

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Before I type a bunch more poo poo: Can anyone recommend a front plate bracket for an ID.4 that doesn't involve drilling holes in my nice new bumper?

I replaced the ugly, drilled bracket on mine with a kit that's basically expensive velcro. The manufacturer claims it can be unstuck fairly easily, ofc I have no idea if that's the case. If I did it again I'd probably just get some self adhesive velcro and cut it to size.

It looks a load better than the bracket.

knox_harrington posted:

My Taycan came with a really lovely plastic license plate holder which has been annoying me whenever I notice it. The holder was fairly badly screwed onto a plastic mount which itself was attached with plastic trim clips.

I got a flush mounting kit which turns out to be some very expensive velcro. It looks a load better, though not as good as no plate at all.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

When it comes to supported charging types, if you're buying new in the US basically everything comes with Type 2 and CCS. Pod-Point has an exhaustive list with charging information: https://pod-point.com/guides/vehicles?type=batteryElectric

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but Puget Sound Energy displays a nice little db of EV cars with a lot of the most useful information

https://ev.pse.com/vehicles

It's not exhaustive but I used it to start shopping and it let me immediately filter down to the kinds of cars that I was interested in based on chassis, price, and range. They also provide lease and finance rates as well as estimates of which financial incentives the car is currently eligible for

Oh nice that is useful! I also googled if my province has something similar and it does, some cars I can get up to $8k off in incentives so that’s cool. Only if they are under 55k CAD base. But I think adding on the dual motor and other option packs don’t count? Strangely the polestar price configurator doesn’t seem to reflect the rebate.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
speaking of ID 4 I test drove one of those today, I liked the driving dynamics more than the Y, (I cannot stress how awful that turn stalk is, it's like almost disqualifying for me) and that turning radius on the ID is insane. The acceleration was pretty disappointing, the Volt/Bolt has more oomph. Maybe the AWD version is better. Not a huge fan of the touch controls but they are way less awful than I thought they would be. Would probably pay for the Audi to get away from them. The thing about the Y is the amount of storage they pack into that thing is absurd, the ID was pretty disappointing after seeing the Tesla. As someone over 6 ft I can confirm that the rear headroom in the ID is not enough.

Probably gonna look at a Mach E next but the local Ford dealers are looking shady and jacking the price on in stock models.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

priznat posted:

Oh nice that is useful! I also googled if my province has something similar and it does, some cars I can get up to $8k off in incentives so that’s cool. Only if they are under 55k CAD base. But I think adding on the dual motor and other option packs don’t count? Strangely the polestar price configurator doesn’t seem to reflect the rebate.

This tool is aimed at residents of WA so you'll have to look up rebates and incentives elsewhere

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

I finally tried EA charging last weekend. It took a couple of tries to make the app and the charger agree on what needs to be happening, but it sure charged fast once we got going. I hope VW pushes an OTA that allows app-less charging soon, but given that ID.4 owners get 3 free years of EA charging, and VW owns EA, they kinda have an incentive to keep some barriers on the process...

Thanks for your input. I can't believe that still has not been fixed yet. I just wish the EV6 and IONIQ5 would hurry up and release their pricing so I can make a decision.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Yeah I want the Ioniq so badly and I am holding out for it. The lack of info is disappointing.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Jimong5 posted:

speaking of ID 4 I test drove one of those today, I liked the driving dynamics more than the Y, (I cannot stress how awful that turn stalk is, it's like almost disqualifying for me) and that turning radius on the ID is insane. The acceleration was pretty disappointing, the Volt/Bolt has more oomph. Maybe the AWD version is better. Not a huge fan of the touch controls but they are way less awful than I thought they would be. Would probably pay for the Audi to get away from them. The thing about the Y is the amount of storage they pack into that thing is absurd, the ID was pretty disappointing after seeing the Tesla. As someone over 6 ft I can confirm that the rear headroom in the ID is not enough.

Probably gonna look at a Mach E next but the local Ford dealers are looking shady and jacking the price on in stock models.

What's so bad about the turn stalk? I don't have experience with any new teslas but I don't remember anything too weird in the model s I drove.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Russian Bear posted:

What's so bad about the turn stalk? I don't have experience with any new teslas but I don't remember anything too weird in the model s I drove.

I assume it’s the same on the Y, but on the 3 the stalk doesn’t actually click into a position when you signal - it just goes back to the middle.

This isn’t a problem if you’re making a proper turn in a direction, but if you’re signaling to change lanes in one direction, and therefore need to manually disable the blinker, you have to tilt the stalk _just right_ so as to not signal in the opposite direction.

Most of the time it’s fine, but when it’s not it’s absolutely maddening, flailing signaling back and forth trying to turn the blinker off.

Tesla probably just wanted one less thing that could break, and created an interface problem in the process.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

This tool is aimed at residents of WA so you'll have to look up rebates and incentives elsewhere

Oh yah I was talking for the BC rebates. Seems weird polestar doesn’t build that into their website when you are are pricing it out.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Aino Minako posted:

I assume it’s the same on the Y, but on the 3 the stalk doesn’t actually click into a position when you signal - it just goes back to the middle.

This isn’t a problem if you’re making a proper turn in a direction, but if you’re signaling to change lanes in one direction, and therefore need to manually disable the blinker, you have to tilt the stalk _just right_ so as to not signal in the opposite direction.

Most of the time it’s fine, but when it’s not it’s absolutely maddening, flailing signaling back and forth trying to turn the blinker off.

Tesla probably just wanted one less thing that could break, and created an interface problem in the process.

FWIW, BMW stalks have operated like this for at least 15 years. You get used to it. Or like a proper BMW owner, you dont use it :lol:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Aino Minako posted:

Oh, yeah, that is definitely a thing that happens. I never thought it was a big deal, but maybe my "eh, I can learn this" attitude makes me their target demographic.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Aino Minako posted:

Did this a few times before realizing you can also cancel it by tapping it in the same direction as it is already indicating.

Kunabomber posted:

FWIW, BMW stalks have operated like this for at least 15 years. You get used to it. Or like a proper BMW owner, you dont use it :lol:

Nonsense, they were just out of blinker fluid.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Kunabomber posted:

You get used to it, but they are also stupid.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Aino Minako posted:

Yeah pretty much it doesn't engage and half of the time I thought I engaged it but it was only a partial engagement so it would stop after 3 blinks. Disengagement was kinda goofy as well. Its more of a personal preference but everything else about the car was so impressive it was maddening flailing around with a part we had figured out in the 60s, and kinda brought goofy Tesla things to my mind, which isn't something I really want on a new car. Its kind of making me doubt purchasing one which is a shame, because everything else about the car was pretty nice and I really liked what I saw.

In other words do I want to drop 55k on something I know I'm going to be calling a piece of poo poo at least once a week.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
It’s a turn signal. Contrary to popular belief it’s not that hard to master.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Indiana_Krom posted:

Did this a few times before realizing you can also cancel it by tapping it in the same direction as it is already indicating.

No poo poo?? Going to try this next time I’m out.

Jimong5 posted:

Yeah pretty much it doesn't engage and half of the time I thought I engaged it but it was only a partial engagement so it would stop after 3 blinks.

I didn’t even realize they could do the partial engagement/3 blinks thing, but come to think of it there are times when I thought the blinker should be going, but it wasn’t, so maybe that was to blame.

Jimong5 posted:

In other words do I want to drop 55k on something I know I'm going to be calling a piece of poo poo at least once a week.

I have started affectionately referring to the model 3 as the nicest piece of poo poo car I’ve owned. : )

I think the Mach E is worth checking out, but my impression is it felt smaller than the Y. If you prioritize performance, interior space, and freedom to travel, I think the Y is a good bet aside from Tesla’s nonsense. I’ve only seen the ID4 from the outside, but I would bet the interior is better than Tesla, even if the infotainment system is weaker.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

After 3 years, I’m clearly not going to get around to reading the manual. :meowth:

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

I just wish they would push an option so we could configure it to 5 or 7 blinks instead of just 3 for the light press, I basically never use the 3 blink because it is too short for anyone to really notice in most cases.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Duh you just saw the wheel hard enough to self-cancel. Even easier with the cool yoke wheel :smugdog:

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Indiana_Krom posted:

I just wish they would push an option so we could configure it to 5 or 7 blinks instead of just 3 for the light press, I basically never use the 3 blink because it is too short for anyone to really notice in most cases.

this is exactly how bmw signals work

which explains a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

You just hold it in the not all the way position and it blinks until you let go. My Honda worked this way too, which might be why I didn't find this quite as big a deal as other folks seem to.