Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Georgia is surprisingly discipĺined mask wise. Outside, everyones wearing them on their chin of course, or elbow, but in stores everyone has the decency to fuĺl mask. Vaccination is anothet thing, they were doing pretty well until they hit a full stop at 30 perecent, thats about it, the rest dont wanna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I expect us getting curfew with police and army patrols enforcing it within a month or so, and no real improvements until like November 15 (vaccination deadline for when a lot of public and private employers will be legally entitled to fire the unvaccinated) + 4-6 weeks. At the current vaccination rate, all things considered, we’ll go “back to normal” in like 2023.

I haven't been following this too closely but wasn't there some dumb runaround where you can't directly fire someone for being unvaccinated but you can not let them come into work and also write them up for not being present?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Arzachel posted:

I haven't been following this too closely but wasn't there some dumb runaround where you can't directly fire someone for being unvaccinated but you can not let them come into work and also write them up for not being present?

Some employers did that, but it was not legal at any point, and still kind-of isn’t. Anyone who was unilaterally fired on COVID-19 status grounds, even in “must be vaccinated to be legally allowed to carry out primary duties”, can just ask VDI to sue their employer, but the case would likely go into AT. That precisely was the reason for why this summer they changed the pandemic management law, and recently adopted changes to relevant cabinet of ministers’s rules.

In the current regulatory regime, taking the state of emergency into account in particular, however, this question is much more “streamlined”. If you’re employed by the state or by any municipality, regardless of institution or form of work (including full remote), you must be vaccinated by November 15, or face consequences up to being fired with no compensation.

If you’re a private sector employee, your employer has an obligation to evaluate, at their own discretion, your risk profile, and inform you about the required protection level. If they judge that you must be vaccinated, you have 7 days from receiving that judgment to get your first jab, and you must receive your second jab within 7 days starting with the soonest medically possible date of your second shot. If you act in defiance of such a judgment in a way that results in you being neither vaccinated, nor in the process of becoming such, by November 15, your employer must remove you from your duties (atstādināšana no darba, so suspension without pay until January 11, or further if the state of emergency is prolonged).

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Oct 17, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I see Czechia is on a great trajectory too

I guess that's just going to continue with sub-50% vaccination rates among younger people and probably close to 0 among the open 'er up crew but there's some time before poo poo gets real bad again

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mobby_6kl posted:

I guess that's just going to continue with sub-50% vaccination rates among younger people and probably close to 0 among the open 'er up crew but there's some time before poo poo gets real bad again

The country has been in full on denial and without any substantial restrictions since what, July? It was only a matter of time.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Do I need to say that things are even worse in Belarus? 25% vaccinated, the only real restriction is obligatory masks in public spaces (since October 9, and they don't even fine regular people for breaking it, only businesses), and 1/3 of all hospital beds occupied by covid patients. Inconspicuously, the number of hospitalised covid patients that the minister of health provided is somehow 30% more than the official total number of all active covid cases.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 17, 2021

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
This is from Thursday. Niinistö was meant to meet Estonian president but this cancelled it.

quote:

Oct 14 (Reuters) - Latvian President Egils Levits tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday, his office said, prompting Finland's President Sauli Niinisto who had breakfast with him a day earlier to self-isolate.

The infection was found during a routine test after Levits visited Sweden on Wednesday for an inter-governmental forum, his office said.

Levits would continue to work remotely but other diary items had been cancelled, including a visit by his Romanian counterpart this week and the Latvian president's visit to Kosovo and North Macedonia next week, his office said.

The president was vaccinated with second AstraZeneca shot in April, his spokeswoman told BNS news agency.

Latvia confirmed 2,408 new novel coronavirus cases and 21 deaths on Thursday, a record surge, BNS reported. Only 52% of Latvian adults are fully vaccinated, well below European Union average of 75%, EU health figures show.

Latvia has reported 864 new cases per 10,000 population in two weeks until Sunday, second-worst result in EU after neighbour Lithuania.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Looking forward to his work from home involving attempting to bully a couple more political parties into confirming his Constitutional Court nominee.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Is this an accurate summary of the Ukrainian conflict?

https://covertactionmagazine.com/20...chen-subhumans/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

khwarezm posted:

Skimming diagonally, “inaccurate” would be a very diplomatic adjective to use here.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

khwarezm posted:

Read the URL again and ask yourself this same question.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

khwarezm posted:

Let's see, it lacks any nuance and instead just parrots pro-Russian propaganda uncritically. I would say no, it's not very accurate.

It has some real things in it, like the far right movements definitely have too much influence on Ukrainian politics (more than none is too much, honestly), but that's about it. It fails to contextualise, generalises and overblows that real issue, too, however.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 17, 2021

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

khwarezm posted:

If you want an accurate representation watch Russian Roulette 1-150 with Simon Otrovosky

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Read the URL again and ask yourself this same question.

Isn't it the case that there's lots of straight up Nazis fighting for the Ukrainian side?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

khwarezm posted:

Isn't it the case that there's lots of straight up Nazis fighting for the Ukrainian side?

According to the Russians, yes.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

According to the Russians, yes.

According to Russians Ukrainians are also simultaneously primitives incapable of being anything other than menial labor unless directed by their betters (e.g. Russians) and also secretly Russians who can't talk right because of secret plots by Austria-Hungary.

Reality is that you'll find fighters with right-wing views in both armies (a certain Russian is infamous for having his picture taken murdering a puppy with the nazi flag hanging in background), but only one side's view is based on ethnic supremacism. (Hint: it's the side with history of imperialism based on ethnic cleaning and genocide).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

khwarezm posted:

There are many more on the pro-Russian side, which is also fighting a war on behalf of an empire.

gently caress off to C-SPAM with this concern trolling bullshit.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

steinrokkan posted:

There are many more on the pro-Russian side, which is also fighting a war on behalf of an empire.

gently caress off to C-SPAM with this concern trolling bullshit.

I don't mean this in a snide kind of way but is there anywhere I can read more about the hard right and Nazi adjacent forces on the Russian side?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Well in WW2 The Nazis pushed more to the Soviet size due to their genocide of otherwise willing collaborators.

Now let's flip forward and gee Russia wants to turn Ukraine into an integrationist police state and we see Nazi flags flying

The point is when the threat ot cultural genocide is at your doorstep we turn towards the presented opposite even if it is not actually the opposite.

*Sniffles* it is pure *sniffles* ideology.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

There were lots of Nazis fighting for Germany in Afghanistan. Nazis fuckin love doing army poo poo.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

khwarezm posted:

I don't mean this in a snide kind of way but is there anywhere I can read more about the hard right and Nazi adjacent forces on the Russian side?

Here's an article covering the fiirst two years, which were the most salient, and isn't regurgitated Russian propaganda written for drooling troglodytes:
https://www.ifri.org/sites/default/files/atoms/files/rnv95_uk_likhachev_far-right_radicals_final.pdf

The entire leadership of the Donbass "republics" was from the outset composed entirely of a mix of neo-nazis and Russian mobsters, funneled into positions of power by Russian secret services. In the following years the Russians consolidated their control by purging these pawns and replacing them with more reliable agents, but the colonial conquest itself was carried out by ultra-nationalist far-right goons, the same also helped (unsuccessfully) Yanukovich in other provinces during the revolution.

This isn't even getting into the pretty much explicit policy of ethnic genocide against Crimean Tartars that even the more "normalized" Crimean government carries out.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 17, 2021

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
There is also Wagner and the oligarch who funds them (Malofeev). It shouldn't be too hard to figure out why one would name things after that particular composer now, should it be?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Anyone who thinks Russia is immune to Nazism is a Putin apologist basically.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
This is not an ideological conflict in any way. It's a national war between a big, powerful kleptocratic dictatorship and a smaller, weaker kleptocratic dysfunctional democracy, happening in a region that has long had a huge problem with militant far-right extremism. Ukrainian fascists support their side, Russian fascists support their side, because that's what nationalism is. Both are happy to fight and neither nation is going to turn away enthusiastic volunteers just because they're Nazis.

Also, Russia is 100% the aggressor here. The only reason they paint it as an anti-fascist struggle is to a) demonize the enemy, appealing to memories of the Great Patriotic War at home, b) distract from the Nazis in their own ranks, and c) sow confusion and doubt in the west.

That's it. Everyone sucks in mostly the same ways, but Russia is bigger so they also get to be an aggressive, manipulative bully on top of that. Welcome to Eastern Europe.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Nothing exceptional. Bosnian Serbs can't secede from Bosnia because they I) don't have an army, II) don't have international support, and III) don't have legal grounds for it. They can make the country even more dysfunctional, though.

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.
Some Ukrainian nationalists were dumb enough to openly worship Hitler's testicle and their government was dumb enough to allow them to continue doing that. The Russians are much better at hiding their awfulness. Their brand of fascism successfully conceals itself behind a language barrier, a confusing foreign aesthetic and sometimes even behind leftist symbols. It’s a clever and dangerous predator. Despite being ubiquitous, it’s not yet understood in the West, while hitlerism is easily to identify. This is why Ukraine has a reputation for being a home to nazis while Russia (an actual fascist compost heap) managed to dodge that.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

khwarezm posted:

Come on, man, check your sources, that sure is a website with hard-hitting articles like this:

Or asking such hard questions such as "But was there really a genocide in the Balkans led by Milošević?"

How the hell do you expect to have anything accurate?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Gervasius posted:

Come on, man, check your sources, that sure is a website with hard-hitting articles like this:

Or asking such hard questions such as "But was there really a genocide in the Balkans led by Milošević?"

How the hell do you expect to have anything accurate?

Wholly chao, that's a headline.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Europe section of that website reads like Sputnik or some similar biowaste producer. Of course article on Belarus protests starts with calling Protasevich neonazi :shrug:

In other news, situation in Slovakia is also crap when it comes to COVID:

Mostly unvaccinated (red) patients are filling hospitals

But interest in vaccination doesn't rise and it's still below 50% for the whole population

The current government's handling of previous wave was bad (although current health minister seems to be more competent that the first one), but it also doesn't help that some large opposition parties (like 2 neonazi parties and former ruling kleptocratic party) went full antivax. Unsurprisingly, regions with higher support of opposition parties also have lower vaccination rates and more COVID cases.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 18, 2021

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Latvia is literally number 1 worldwide in normalised 7 day infection rate.

https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/latvija/spkc-latvija-ir-pirmaja-vieta-pasaule-covid-19-saslimstibas-zina.a426167/

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

:toot: Congrats, glad we aren't #1 for once

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Russia is speedrunning "number 1 all covid stats any%"

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Honestly very pro Russia pieces on Ukraine, are always kind of hilarious. They always condemn them having their own language and culture and when you expect to see what exactly was their crime against kindly unfairly abused Russia, it veers too close to Crimea, so the author just says they made a "wrong choice" whatever it means.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Any insider info/gossip on what took down Miloš Zeman? Did he have any cardiac or cancer history, or is this COVID doing its thing?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I read it could be hepatic encephalopathy caused by cirrhosis.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 18, 2021

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

As expected, we’re getting rather strict lockdown, French style, with security services patrolling for curfew and such. Final decision pending a government vote on October 20, October 21 - November 15 we’re having an 8pm-5am curfew, and basically everything excluding food shops is closed, and gatherings are limited to 10 individuals or 2 households, whichever limit is reached sooner, even outdoors. From November 16 onwards, the vaccinated will return to a relative normal, whereas the unvaccinated will be subject to further (compared to now, not lockdown) restrictions.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Guys this just in RT says Navalny is a fascist!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.politico.eu/article/czech-president-ill-power-hand-pm-andrej-babis/

I’m very “excited” for supreme leader Babiš.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah, we gonna get ultra hosed again.

Funnily enough, I am in Norway for a conference, and I don't think I've seen single mask past airport (and even at the airport, past the outgoing gate basically nobody wore one), so I wonder what the local numbers will look like in couple months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xarn posted:

Yeah, we gonna get ultra hosed again.

Funnily enough, I am in Norway for a conference, and I don't think I've seen single mask past airport (and even at the airport, past the outgoing gate basically nobody wore one), so I wonder what the local numbers will look like in couple months.

It’s a sparsely populated land of aloof people with 70% of the population fully vaccinated.